Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
So there's a colony of ferals behind the parking garage at my office. I had a few cans of pate' cat food that gives my cats the shits so I started crawling back there a couple of times a week and leaving it out on little paper plates. That seemed to go over pretty well and I've got a lone can of tuna sitting next to me that I'll probably dole out to them in the same way. If I wanted to get some food just for that purpose, what's the best way/kind? Is there a brand that's cheap in bulk but also decent quality for any range of random cats? There are at least 2 kittens I see regularly and 5 or 6 adults I recognize. Stick with canned foot or dry and maybe put some cheapy little bowls out in the bushes for them?

I'm not the only one doing this, but somebody else just dumps canned and dry foot on the ground back there, probably from an above-ground level of the garage, and it just sits there and rots and stinks, that can't be good for them...

kw0134 posted:

Bored cat + work call == no bueno.)

Now try working from home with a tortie vying for your attention :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Stuck actually working from home today, posting for tort supremacy and / or being bullied by tortitude :tubular:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Yeah but then I would have had to store a spare door somewhere

Through craigslist or your local paper you can probably find a cheaper room to rent, even more so if it doesn't come with a door of its own. It would be easy to hang your original door there for the duration of your lease and simply move it back on your way out.

Boogalo posted:

I agree, this sounds downright peaceful. As long as they're not brawling its fine.

Yuup, my 2 will mostly ignore each other, until the fatty tuxedo decides the torty has offended her in some way and will start swinging at her and chasing her around the apartment. The torty, being a torty, will scream bloody murder at all of this and tearass all over the place being chased by the tux, for about 10 seconds at which point they'll go back to ignoring each other again :shrug:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I like Katya but my partner thinks it's a little silly to give a cat a name with "cat" in it.

:sever:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kw0134 posted:

Yeah, the watching/biting sounds more like "you didn't let me in on your super secret activity" than "I'm severely depressed at being an indoor cat". It's the same thing as when you close the door to the bathroom when you take a poo poo.

Look at this scrub who doesn't live alone and won't give their cats unfettered access to tearing around a tile floor messing up all the bathmats while you're sitting there trying to do your business :smuggo: My tort will not shut up while I'm in there, is that just a girl 'we all talk in the bathroom' thing from 90s sitcoms? Maybe she's just learned that she has a captive audience for a few minutes for extra pets. Clever girl...

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

We bought the 'go pet club crate' which is also extremely huge because we take our two cats to the vet as a pair so we needed something bigger.

But the secret weapon with it is the top loading hatch. It makes it easy to cover the cat's eyes and scoop them into it before they know what's going on. We have relatively tolerant cats though, no hissing or flailing for us.

Just took one of mine to the vet this morning after getting behind on things from quarantine. She wouldn't go in the smaller mesh carry bag thing, so I got the bigger plastic carrier and just unscrewed the top and set her in. Is that not an option for most rigid small-to-medium pet carriers? I agree gently caress trying to force them in through the little door if they don't want to go.

Something like this where the whole thing can just split in half:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Someone found a bag of treats last night tore it open and gorged themself on the entire bag

Unsurprisingly it made then sick and now I have two massive piles of hork to clean when I get home from work.

Why do I love these little shits again?

At least that makes sense, my torty eats herself sick at least once a week for no reason. Woke up this morning to a 6" log of barely chewed catfood spewed across the windowsill :barf:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^ drat, I must be doing pretty good in my game of Cat Russian Roulette... Both of mine are random stray rescues and neither have ever had any issues with using their boxes or tearing stuff up. ~Relatively~ good cats.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I have a covered litter box with a little plastic door, and Nona still somehow gets litter everywhere, I think it sticks to her paws or something.

Every once in a while I'll come in to find an actual pile of litter in front of one of their boxes. I think every once in a while they get turned around just right so they're holding the door open while they kick sand back behind them and right out onto the floor :mad:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 8, 2021

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kaworu posted:

And this absolutely is a wonderful place for cats, I mean, it's a big house up in the Rockies at 9000 feet, there's a huge partially forested yard of several acres, completely enclosed by a mesh fence that's very difficult for all but the strongest and wiliest cats to get past.

A catio consisting of an entirely fenced in yard is one of the only reasons I want to own a home someday. But what kind of mesh fence could any cat not climb straight up the second you turn your back?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
OOF Size: Large, but yeah hopefully having it done at home will be more peaceful. My sister had to put her dog down a few years ago from lung cancer, we looked at home euthanasia but he had been to the chemo office so often he was used to being there so they did it in-office. Still a bummer but at least 17 years is a good long run.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Organza Quiz posted:

Can't burrito a cat who violently doesn't want to be burritoed.

Can grab a cat by front paws and back paws and drop them in a carrier!

https://twitter.com/SaraQDavid/status/1331287244959838213?s=20

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got one of these and it picks up mountains of hair off my longhair tuxedo fatass. And yeah I don't understand how she can produce that much fluff and not be shed bald in a week...

https://www.amazon.com/Pet-Hair-Remover-Glove-Deshedding/dp/B01N66Y1IK/

In cat tree chat, the best one I've ever seen is one my sister found out in front of someone's house with the trash. Instead of those cardboard tube things it's proper wood 2x4s nailed together and wrapped in carpet. I could probably sit in it if I wanted to. I've never even seen one like it in any store or online, I'm sure if I did it would cost $1000 or some bullshit 😾

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dantheman650 posted:

An update on Latte - it’s now been about two weeks since we got her. She’s sleeping through the night for the most part, eating well, and exploring the house confidently.
Thanks for the thread tips about the homemade cat tower - she loves it!

Mind status: Blown. I have a literal wall covered up in Blue Apron boxes because I'm thinking I can use them the next time I move. Whether this will ever be true remains to be seen, so I can absolutely cut some of them up and Voltron them together into a CatFort. How do you do it while keeping it somewhat structurally sound? Just cut smaller holes in the sides then line them up and tape them together?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the deets, I'm absolutely trying that soon. I'm not sure where I'll have the floor space but I'm imagining starting out with a small structure like that and just taping more and more boxes to the top and sides, slowly building up a labyrinthine cat citadel for them to run around in. Tuxedo doesn't crawl back into things too much but my torty is all about that 'cramming herself into a hidden corner for no reason' lifestyle.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^ One of the cat trees I rescued from my apartment complex dumpster (beside not in) has one of those, but it's too small/shallow for either of mine to fit in. One similar thing that they both seem to love is sitting on top of a cardboard box with a moving blanket folded over it. The box is 2/3 or 3/4 full of clothes or something, so the top sinks down a few inches and it's basically a 360 degree hammock. It's just the right height to stick in front of a window, they both use it more than any of the proper cat sitting places I've paid for :argh:

Pixelante posted:

HahahaHAHahahaHAAhaha...

If you solve that puzzle you could be a very wealthy person.

Time to look up that old program from the 90s that would try to detect random keypresses and automatically disable your keyboard until you typed 'iamhuman' to unlock it.

e:

Kitfox88 posted:

oh my loving god

I know right :swoon:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 3, 2021

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ball Tazeman posted:

She really just scratches at everything too. We have 6 different scratching posts now and would rather scratch at the brand new bed frame or underside of the couch. Everybody says cats are easy-mode and the plug and play pet but gently caress that. Kittens are monsters. Everybody also says that they will eventually mellow out and oh god please be true I’m going mad. I just keep reminding myself that one day I will have a good cat, and the sweet moments to insane ones ratio will start to even out.

Think this is why the thread always says get 1 cat, or 2 kittens. Both of mine are young adult rescues so I got to skip all the psycho kitten mess. Most of it... At least some of it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tummy time is a flat circle.

Maybe that's a kitten thing, neither one of mine ever really stretch out like that, though occasionally the tuxedo will flop around in her sleep...

vvv Maybe mine are just lazy crap cats then :mad:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 11, 2021

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

explosivo posted:

Don't believe his lies. You go for the belly you get the chomp.

Lucky, mine grabs my hand with her front paws so she can bicycle kick the skin off my wrist with her hind legs :mad:

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks to whoever showed us the amazon box castle system. Just added the second box and she LOVES it.

I made a 3 story tower for mine out of old Blue Apron boxes and they've each gone inside it about twice each, now it just gets ignored like all their other toys :argh:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rad Valtar posted:

They quoted us an estimate of $5k to $7k and while obviously I will pay what I need to that seems a but high to me. Can anyone let me know if that’s an abnormally high amount of money for this type of thing in the US?

Not telling you to not do research or maybe a 2nd opinion (depending on what kind of shape your cat is in) but pet surgery is one of the biggest expenses there is for a lot of people. Imagine if you broke your leg and had no insurance. My parents' dog had to have surgery on her intestine a year or so ago and for a 4lb dog I'm pretty sure it was bumping up against $10k. And they know they've got you over a barrel because what are you gonna do, let your pet die :smith:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

drunken officeparty posted:

After months of a spray bottle not working, I put tin foil down on my nightstand to try and get her to stop going on it. She jumped and ran off the first time she touched it but now she just tries to eat it :doh:

Put a few pennies in a soda can and tape over the mouth and shake it at them when they act up. It's the only thing that has any affect on my tuxedo anymore, she doesn't give a poo poo about water unless it's a bath. Sometimes she'll curl up in the sink and I can't get her out so I'll just turn the water on a little bit, she'll still sit there for a good 10 seconds before finally moving, and now I've got a wet cat running around the place :mad:

e:
https://twitter.com/mattafaak/status/1438173968154959873

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Our vet puts profile pics of the cats into their records and it gets printed out in the corner of all reports and bills for that kitty. One of ours' picture is of her sulking in a sink. It's adorable.

Mine does the same thing. This is Megatron, my tortie. She doesn't like the vet but tolerates it well enough:

aaaaaaaaaaaand Nibbles, who will murder anyone in the room to try and escape:

The above was taken by a big burly male vet tech, cowering in the doorway who immediately fled for his life after snapping the pic. Don't blame him one bit.

vvv Cell phone photos of tiny thumbnails printed out on a cheap laser printer :shrug: Here's one of my favorite photos of Megatron, just to prove that she's real:

I just now noticed one of her pupils getting constricted (what's the opposite of dilated?) from the flash :lol:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 20, 2021

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

How cold can it get where the cat can still be comfortable? Usually when its winter time I try to go as long as I can just with insulation and wearing warmer clothes but I assume the cat won't appreciate my efforts at lowering the power bill.

I do the same thing and compromise by having a few low-level heating pads scattered around, so if they actually get chilly they can go lay on one of them for a bit.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

me: frees my cat from the prison she's been trapped in for hours

my cat, her eyes enormous: you INVADE my sanctuary? you violate my personal space? oh! oh! jail for father! jail for father for One Thousand Years!!

Did you consider offering her a bribe of SEA MEAT ?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

What's up, Perpetually Pissed Off Looking Orange Tort buddy :hfive:

And her big sister chilling (heh) on the same heating pad:

Martman posted:

This is the most dignified cat I've seen in years, well done

I'm at work, somebody throw a monocle and top hat on this bad boy TIA.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jayne Doe posted:

My cat recently discovered the shower and will now bolt across the apartment to jump in as soon as I finish showering. I can't figure out the appeal, because she doesn't lick or drink any of the water - she just sits down facing the faucet, stares for a while, then jumps out and complains loudly about me drying her off. (I would just leave her alone, but she was leaving damp spots on furniture/etc that aren't meant to get wet)

Sigh.

Mine are equally enamored with falling water. My tuxedo will plow through shampoo bottles lined up on the counter like a bowling ball to jam her head under the faucet when I'm washing my hands, but they all but ignore the little fountain-style water bowl I got them :argh:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
:lol: if you don't live alone like a misanthropic hermit and just leave the bathroom door open at all times. But yeah both of mine will frequently keep me company while I'm trying to do a Sudoku puzzle or something in there :mad: And also lick shower water off my shins until I shoo them away with my foot. What the hell cats?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mine both leave standing water alone, but my fatass tuxedo will ninja her way across almost anything to get at a cup of milk if I leave it unattended for .2 seconds. I've tried giving her a little bit in a saucer and she turned her nose up, she's not even into the milk itself, she just wants to be doing something she knows she's not supposed to do :negative:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Nice looking cat tree you got there, looks like mine, just 2x4s wrapped in carpet. Mine's shredded to absolute hell but it's sturdy, one of the only one's I've found that isn't that cheap cardboard tube crap all the pet stores seem to carry.

Iron Crowned posted:

I have to drink my milk in the kitchen while I make breakfast, because if I try to drink it with breakfast, my cat is on top of it. The problem is she puts her paw in the milk, in the classic "testing the water" thing cats do.

LUV 2 sit down with a cool cup of milk, realize I forgot something in the kitchen, see no cats around anywhere, stand up and walk into the NEXT ROOM to get it and come back 10 seconds later, still see no cats, but now there is a giant long black hair floating on top of my otherwise pure white dairy :mad: :mad: :mad:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 20, 2021

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

Harold DOES NOT TRUST cpap machine :catstare:

At least that's stationary, the first time my torty saw my sister's Roomba her tail inflated to the same size as the rest of her body :lol:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I keep reading all these cat maintenance horror stories and thinking myself lucky that mine are relatively hands-off with everything, but then I remember that they're both still relatively young and that's probably all just things I have to look forward to in a few years :ohdear:

My torty would protest mightily but I think overall would let me do what needs to be done, my fatty tuxedo is going to fight me I know it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I remembered a motion-activated water spray DIY video from years ago from a guy trying to keep strays out of his yard and went to find it, turns out there's 100s of those kinds of videos now :shrug:

Maybe this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLG1jbPrp2Q

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fabulousity posted:

"scarfer-barfer" type that will keep going until it's all gone.

My torty is 100% this :argh: My vet told me the same thing, in the wild cats eat a bug here, a lizard there, they don't exactly sit down to 3 squares a day. She'll still go and sit in front of her little plate and wait for wet food every morning, but if I just give her a teaspoon or 2 she'll usually keep it down.

Usually.

This is my expression every time I hear the *hurk hurk* noises:

e:

pidan posted:

From the poster above I take it a second cat might solve the problem, but that's not an option at the moment. Maybe sticky tape? The cat is allowed in the office when someone's inside, so we don't want any radical solutions like ssscat and the like.

Shock mat is another option. Most of them have a few different power settings so you can set it to 'annoy' power rather than something that would actually shock them. Plus it usually only takes a few times and they'll just refuse to go near it. My sister has her 3 dogs tricked into thinking the shock mat by the front door is always on, I don't even know if it has batteries in it anymore :v:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 6, 2022

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Elvis_Maximus posted:

he just eats a few then leaves the bag there, torn apart

As a warning to the rest :black101:

Unrelated:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

Who is applying the dewormer?

For a second I thought you were implying the cats were getting them from their owners :v:

Unrelated, but big feels nontheless:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

drunken officeparty posted:

But if you dare to move even an inch to make it more comfortable for both of us then gently caress you I’m gone

-Cat

100% this. Just about every night when I first lay down my tortie will hop in to bed with me and camp out on my chest while I try to read the forums on my tablet. She'll stay there even when I put everything away and turn the lights out but if I ever want to turn on my side she nopes out of there for at least a few hours :confused:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jayne Doe posted:

turning in a circle while she's standing on my goddamn sternum

What I'm saying is it's her bed and I'm being bossed around by a cat.

OOF Size: Medium. I'm a dude and my torty is only about 12 lbs, but if she takes one paw and puts all of her weight directly down onto one of my nipples it still hurts like hell :blush: Guess where her favorite place to stand is while she figures out how she's going to lay down THIS time...

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

It's the reality of having long haired cats that no one warns you about. When they get the runs it is horrifying to clean up.

Ug this :( My tuxedo will get dingleberries stuck back there every once in a while. In worst-case scenarios I'll find a small grape-size turd in random parts of the house that I assume are just sticking to the fur, eventually drying and falling off.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Wish I had some good advice here, every cat I've had has just sorta.. started using it no issue once I showed them how to open it

Unfortunately Pavarotti has such a good understanding of it, and Sage is still afraid of him, so he immediately will try and run over if he hears Sage eating and will stick his head in from the side to snag food. I might need to make a back plate or something to prevent him from getting in as easily

It's possible but you're gonna have to work for it:

Unrelated, a very rude cat:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I AM GRANDO posted:

This is an extremely riveting video. I didn’t expect to watch the whole thing, let alone with such a strong sense of anticipation.

Same. I'm not sitting through 20 odd minutes of this twee influencer couple farting around with cat merch, I said to myself. Queue cats being cute and me getting invested in whether they'd actually figure out how to block that one fatass from stealing all the food :allears:

Unrelated:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

gloom posted:

Hubris is a cutie, and has a great name for a cat! One of ours loves batting around cough drop wrappers, which are paper with some kind of coating. As far as I can tell he doesn't eat them, although he will carry them in his mouth. Mostly he just wants to dribble them like a soccer ball. Maybe some kind of crinkly paper might be a close enough substitute to catch her attention? Otherwise edible rice paper with a plasticky feel seems like it might work. I've had some on Taiwanese candy that was indistinguishable from plastic, I actually tried to unwrap it before a friend told me it would just dissolve in my mouth.

I'll wait for others to chime in about the rice paper, but if it's safe I would love to try it with our cats too.

Mine will occasionally go nuts for tie wraps like you get with electronic cables. Not sure why batting that around is any more interesting than a ball of foil or their 100s of actual toys that go ignored :shrug:

For crinkly paper-y food, look up if pressed seaweed would be safe. My sister gets them from Costco every once in a while. They smell like salmon. These, I think:
https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-organic-roasted-seaweed-snack%2C-0.6-oz%2C-10-count-.product.100435873.html

e:
Google seems to think seaweed is fine for cats, in moderation, but again do your own research.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 18, 2022