Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

juggalo baby coffin posted:

this is my buddy peep:

I love peep, thank you for taking care of him and finding him a nice warm indoor home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Cat may not like the box because it only has one entrance, if something is chasing her she will be trapped in there.

PS just own it, you feed her twice a day and put a collar on her. It’s your cat now.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

My cat struggles so hard to get her lil paw out of my grasp that I either have to hold it in an iron grip, which I’m sure is painful for her, or let go. She twists her entire body around and I’m too worried she’s going to get hurt so I let go. She plays me like a fiddle

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

My cat peed on my couches when I first got her, I got couch covers and she never did it again. I’m sure you don’t want to put covers on your brand new couch, but I’m hooked on them now because I can just pull them off and throw them in the washer anytime something spills. Couches should all come with [edit: easily] removable covers imo.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I have a thing that looks like a chest/bench and has an opening in the side and the top is actually a hinged lid, and inside is the litter tray. It just looks like a piece of furniture and people have literally sat on it without knowing it’s a litter box. I scoop it every day (we’ll every other day now that I have a second box), but it was right by the kitchen table for a while and it blends in perfectly. Not as cool as the robot, but a fraction of the price (about 175) and better camouflage.

Not my pic but it basically looks like this except the door is offset from another door on the inside to increase privacy and also force the cat to take a couple extra steps, which helps shake off litter stuck to their paws.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

Thank you all. For now I have gone with a hooded litterbox inside this rattan enclosure for about $70 (kind of pricey but it's the only one I liked. brand name honiokaka):
It's pretty neat, and there's space on top to hold accessories. It keeps the litter from getting out due to kicking, and it has a little bit of "runway" from where the box is at the back to the front door, which helps get the wood pellet litter off his paws.

Do you have a link for this? My enclosure is really old at this point, we could use a new one and I like how it doesn’t seem to have a bottom.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

It is from: https://www.amazon.com/Enclosure-Washroom-Furniture-Handwoven-Bedroom/dp/B0BGRFGG29
Which I found from this article: https://www.thesprucepets.com/best-litter-box-furniture-5181405#toc-best-rattan-honiakaka-cat-litter-box-enclosure-with-soft-litter-mat

e: it does have a bottom. In fact, it's slightly raised and there is a soft hexagonal grille, which is washable. It comes with a rubber mat that goes underneath to catch the litter from the grille. I assume this is so the interior doesn't get too gross.

I thought I posted this but I guess I didn’t but wanted to say thanks for the link, I ordered it and it’s currently airing out in the back room so it doesn’t smell like a plastic factory when I switch it out.

The bottom being like that is great, I can take it outside and hose it off, my current one is made of wood so it’s a pain to clean when she’s off target, and the opening makes it impossible to use a high-wall litter box. Though I’m not sure if she’s going to like stepping on the bottom piece, she is very very particular about what surfaces she will put her lil paws on.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I would say that trying to move them would be much more traumatic than a loud noise for a couple minutes. They’re also much more likely to get loose if you actually remove them from the home, you’re already doing half of the work for them. Just make sure they have a place to hide and be ready with treats and soothing things.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

phosdex posted:

What's it like moving cats long distance? I may be moving from nm to mn, just thinking ahead of ways to move my 2 cats. Flying seems like it would be easiest to me but scary as hell to them. Or I can drive it, make a spot in back seat and hope they just sleep through it.

If you have the option, I’d say drive them. I drove my cat 16 hours when I moved and it wasn’t so bad, but she is very polite and we didn’t have to stop overnight. I don’t think a stay at a motel would be very bad though, just bring a small litter box for them to use. Plus road trips are fun!

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I hope you keep the lids of your toilets down

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

My cat is fine with us two being the only occupants of the house, but when I’m gone for 5+ days traveling for work or whatever, I feel really bad about leaving her alone. But I don’t think she will tolerate another cat, so I just make do by making sure she has lots of window spots and the bird feeders are full.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Diogines posted:

One problem I need to resolve is water. A big bowl of water is obviously a terrible idea so I need to buy some kind of fountain or other device, I will probably buy two so I have a backup and to be sure they have enough water. There are a million such products online and looking through them I am having difficulty making a decision, can anyone suggest a model or a brand they like?

Thank you for your help.

I have this one specifically because if the power goes out, the water is still accessible by the cat, and it's 100 oz:

https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Drin...ps%2C265&sr=8-9

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Would you want to drink water that’s been sitting out in a pan for a week? That would probably make the cat sick. At least the water is circulating and going through a filter with the fountain.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I didn’t see my cat for a month after I first got her. I took pictures of the food dish to make sure she was eating. She was! Now she spoons with me. It just takes time, and patience, and some treats.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

He probably just likes the nook. If it’s near an outside wall then there’s a chance he can hear the outside while feeling secure in his little fortress. Plus it’s close to you!

1 litter box is fine if you’re in a small place, just scoop it every day. That’s all I had in my old tiny apartment and it was no problem.

A week is not very much time for a cat to get used to a place, he’s probably still adjusting, you will likely see more of his personality emerge as he gets more comfortable. From the sound of it, you’re doing a great job.

Suggestion to everyone is to get a cat water fountain to encourage him to drink more, cats prefer moving water.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

It’s commendable that you are even considering a cat with special needs, but you have to be absolutely sure you can meet those needs in every situation. If you’re having real doubts about your ability to care for the cat, that’s probably a good enough reason to not adopt that cat.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I have this one which dispenses food 5 times a day, not sure if I’d recommend it though because the clock is very slow and the time gets off very quickly. I think the clock stops while it’s dispensing food. Otherwise it’s amazing, it does the first feeding 30 minutes before I wake up and my cat doesn’t bug me for dry food anymore.

Link

I wish there was a good solution for wet food because she still goes nuts an hour before it’s wet food time.

Wii Spawn Camper fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 5, 2024

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

xzzy posted:

We got "Petlibro Granary Auto Feeder" several months ago and have been generally happy with them. We got the non-wifi version because of reviews saying the wifi was kind of unreliable but if I was buying again I'd risk it anyways.. the non-wifi works well but programming changes is a tedious chore. The clock also isn't very accurate, it's drifted like 5 minutes in the past 6 months.

But it does do the stated job, it pukes out cat food fairly close to the same time every day. Cats adapted to it extremely quickly and instead of crying at me for lunch 30 minutes early they start camping the magic food machine 45 minutes before meal time.

I’m pretty sure you are talking about the same one I linked in my post.

One thing I did with mine was tie a bandana around it so it blocks the screen because otherwise it’s blasting your cat in the face with bright light while they eat. I originally had mine in my bedroom and it was too drat bright for me, I can’t imagine being a cat and having that in my face. I can easily rotate the bandanna around to see the screen when I need it.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Could the other cat be the piss dribbler?

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Poor baby. I'm sure that she knows she's loved and that she's lucky to have such a caring owner. Give her some extra cuddles for me.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

cash crab posted:

i don’t know why i keep getting lemons. i did everything i could but it wasn’t enough.

You were able to help cats who needed your help. It was enough. These things would have happened to these cats whether they were with you or not, but they could have had lovely owners who made it worse. Instead, they had a loving and caring owner who was there for them through it all and up until the end.

Take your time until you’re ready, but please don’t stop helping cats.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

My cat will only scratch the real carpet scratchers, and only a certain type of carpet, and only specific shapes. Posts only, on the skinny side, medium density shag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Obfuscation posted:

I actually did notice other day that there's a new cat in an apartment that is kinda opposite to mine so that they can see each other through the window. I don't know if that would be enough to set them off if they can't smell the other cat, they have already seen plenty of cats in the yard under my windows and that has never bothered them.

This would make my cat lose her got drat mind lol