Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

despite appearances a) he doesn't want to come in b) it's not even raining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I'm looking to adopt (ideally) two cats after my last cat died, but my local shelter doesn't have any pairs ready to adopt and I'd rather not wait until they do because they've said it could be a while. Is it a better idea to adopt two single cats at once or should I adopt one and then another when the first one is settled in?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Dienes posted:

It sounds like you are looking for adults, but if you want to adopt two unbonded cats at once, I'd suggest kittens are the way to go.

I don't think I'm looking for kittens, one of the issues is I live next to a main road so I'm looking for a quieter cat that's not going to want to roam too much and get itself into trouble.

Deteriorata posted:

Two adult cats will learn to get along eventually just fine, either procured at the same time or separately. They are unlikely to become cuddle buddies, but they'll tolerate each other.

I'd recommend getting both at once so they divvy up the house together, rather than one getting used to owning it all and then having to accomodate a newcomer.

If getting them one at a time is more convenient, that's fine, too. It doesn't make a lot of difference.

That's good to know, thanks. One of the reasons I'm asking is that my previous cat was a stray that my sister took in and he and her original cat really didn't get along, so he came to live with me instead - we think it was because like you say, original cat was used to owning the whole place and was very unhappy about another cat appearing.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
new cat day here, collected our new 11-year-old pair from the rehoming centre this afternoon

Lainey (girl) hasn't come out of the carrier yet but Bennett (boy), while preferring to stay mostly behind furniture, is very happy to give licks and headbutts and had a very long think about coming up on the arm of my chair just now :3:

e: very nearly

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 31, 2021

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
we brought home our two new cats, Bennett (m) and Lainey (f), both 11, on Sunday

since then Bennett has gotten pretty comfortable. he's explored all of one room, and though he prefers to sit in a corner or behind furniture he's perfectly happy to come out and accept fuss, and will sit on a lap though it takes him a little bit of turning round and round to find a comfortable position

meanwhile Lainey has spent every minute behind/under furniture, occasionally switching places during the night. we think she's eating some food, though it's kind of hard to say because Bennett will happily eat her food after finishing his own, even right in front of her

should we be trying to expose Lainey to more contact or should we just let her acclimatise at her own pace? we've been giving Bennett lots of fuss where she can see but it doesn't seem to be doing much, and we haven't seen much interaction between the two either

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Lainey's first time on a lap, 3 1/2 weeks since she came home

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I've been getting Facebook ads for "tailored" cat foods, is this worth looking into or is it just a gimmick to justify it being four times as expensive?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
at the very least you should take them to a vet and see if they've got a chip, make sure they're not just from a couple blocks away who just wandered a bit too far to get back

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
just took my cat in for her vaccinations and she managed to poo poo in her carrier both on the way there and on the way back

I can only assume she knew in advance something was up (even though the carrier was hidden away right until the last minute) and had been saving up ready

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Organza Quiz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv05t8WQpiY

Excellent kitten and pillowcase method VERY good (would not work on my dumb idiot cat though since she will spook if I reach over her to get the pillowcase, but might be good for my less dumb idiot cat).

I hope Leo got lots of treats for helping out with this video

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the shelter will be able to point you towards cats that have lived with dogs in the past, or with temperaments they think would let them live happily with a dog

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

dantheman650 posted:

I got my first cat last Thursday! She's about a year old and so far she's actually been really easy. She uses the litterbox, scratches only her scratching post, and lets me pet and hold her with no squirming. She's still spooked really easily and returns to her hiding spot at the drop of a hat, but I assume that will get better over time.

However, she meows loudly all night, pretty much as soon as we turn off the lights. I saw the advice in the FAQ is to keep her active during the day. I have been playing with her with a wand before bed but I guess I'm not getting her tired enough.

I ignore her meowing completely but it's crazy loud and I can hear it even through my earplugs.

Are there any self-play toys you'd recommend? Something like an auto-laser?

Anything else I should look into or think about for nighttime meowing?

something that will move when she kicks it is a good thing for her to be able to chase around, a small ball or something vaguely round, though it may well get stuck under furniture and if it's hard it might make noise bouncing off the walls

or there are lots of things along these lines which are similar except without the possibility of the balls getting lost

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
one of the laws of cats is that if you get them something that comes in a big box they're much more interested in the box than in the contents

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
IME if it's mostly quiet it's just playtime, if it was a full-on fight they would be screaming at each other

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

ArcticZombie posted:

We adopted a ~3 year old male (neutered) cat about 7 months ago and he was extremely timid, his confidence has grown a loads and he's as sweet as anything with humans (that he knows at least, strangers still send him running). He's a bit of fair weather cat and doesn't like going outside when it's cold but he's wanting to go out more and more since it's starting warm up and he's an absolute tosser to other cats. He cannot tolerate the sight of another cat and will immediately get up in their face and start yowling and will not back down for anything. He will chase and fight them, where ever they are. One of our neighbour's has a cat that is seemingly equally a poo poo and will sit outside our glass doors and antagonise him which does not help. Is there anything we can do, other than just never letting him outside, to get him to stop being such a little poo poo?

You can't train a cat to accept other cats in its territory. If you can't keep them out of your garden (with netting or similar) then you're just going to have to accept that there will be confrontations, and hope that generally they'll be more yowling and chasing and less clawing and biting.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Haschel Cedricson posted:

We have had a cat, Stanley Herbert Fitzhenry, for just over a year; we got him when he was a kitten. 90% of the time, he is an excellent cat. However, every now and then he decides that he's going to be a total rear end in a top hat towards my eight-year-old daughter and will literally stalk her around the house and attack her legs. He doesn't display this behavior towards me, my wife, or our three-year-old son, and as far as I can tell she is doing absolutely nothing to provoke the cat. There also isn't any specific thing she did to cause trauma to the cat or anything like that.

What causes aggression towards one specific person like this, and how can I get it to stop?

EDIT: Stanley's mother was a feral cat if that makes a difference in his behavior.

Does your daughter ever interact with other cats? She could be bringing their scent into your house and provoking Stanley's territorial instincts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Obnoxipus posted:

A relative who lives across the country (USA) passed recently and left behind a 15-year-old cat. I told my partner, when she asked, that it probably wouldn't work to take the cat in, considering that we'd be moving her across the country, she's not super young, and we already have two cats in a small house (one that does not like the other and one that is still full of kitten energy one year in), but I know she used to live with this cat and loves her, and I feel like the worst kind of person turning her down. Was I wrong to say no to this cat?

your first responsibility is to the cats you already have, and it sounds like they might not cope too well with a new arrival, so I’d say you’re doing the right thing