Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I don't know if this is a joke band or what, but there's this awesome new band that hails out of Newark, NJ called I Killed Her Because I Loved Him, and these bro-magnons know how to SLAM it up! Those dudes are really broductive when in the studio, and if these mother chuggers keep going, they'll be heading for the top in no time!

Just look at these bastards! Here is the monster that is Joey "Where's The Twinks?" Villerano on VOKILLS!:

Click here for the full 600x799 image.

And here are the rest of the groovin' fellas!:

From L to R: Harold Doucherson (rythem guitar), Todd "Sweetmeat" Worble (lead guitar and backing vokills), Mort "Hitler" Stordowski (bass), and Dale "Whitebread" Moriano (drums).

Just listen to the fuckin' chops on those bastards, and Joey's vocals are something only a true metalhead can stomach! Harold and Todd sure know their way around an axe, and fuckin' "Hitler" is non-existent! Dale aint worth poo poo though... too bad about him...

Check out their song "A Bro's Call To Arms (Pabst Blue Ribbon Medley)"

Oh yeah, and if anybody could give me any recommendations for bands that are bitchin' to listen to while crushing beer cans on my forehead for Christ and doin ollies on my skateboard that'd be pretty boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Cock Soup posted:

What have you got against them? I'll admit that I like metalcore in general, but I can make the difference between good metalcore/deathcore (Whitechapel, Despised Icon, Carnifex,Blind Witness, August Burns Red) and bad one (Oceano, Underneath The Gun, The Crimson Armada, Emmure). I'd like you to explain your point of view on Whitechapel as to why they should be considered as sucky?

As for Suicide Silence, 4 months ago, I would have defended them, but their new album is just so god drat awful.

I wrote a review on https://www.metal-jerks.com (goon-run metal review site) for This Is Exile, and I tried my best to review the music fairly, and so far from the people that I know of who read it seemed to agree with me on all points. I will say that Whitechapel do know how to play their instruments, but know nothing about interesting song structures.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 4, 2009

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Traitorous Leopard posted:

You should have reviewed The Somatic Defilement. This is Exile is poop and it also sounds a lot like JFAC's Genesis CD which is also poop.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-DJoVfXv0w&feature=related for instance is better than anything on This Is Exile. The song really picks up around the 1:25 mark

Edit2: subscriiiiiiiiiiiibe plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Just for arguments sake (and I am a sadist and love to punish myself) I will see if I can track that album down and isten to it tonight when I am done with work, and give my thoughts and comparisons of it to This Is Exile.

To be quite honest though, judging by that youtube clip, I am not too hopeful.

I am also recommending you guys check out Pencil Lead Syringe. I think they are pretty "meh", but I think you'll enjoy them. They seem to stradle the thin-line of slam and deathcore, so hey, who knows.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 4, 2009

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Cock Soup posted:

Well, I kind of agree with you on some point, but I still feel as if you first looked at the album as "just another chug chug chug deathcore album" while it is quite more than that.
Really? You mean it really was more than what I described and listened to for 10 hours straight? My ears seem to have a completely different perspective than you do on it.

Cock Soup posted:

While I know that music and art in general is a matter of opinions, I think it diminishing for Whitechapel to be put in the same bag as Suicide Silence, Emmure and Winds of Plague. While it is true that they have a lot of breakdowns and mosh-riffs, I feel like they're all pretty strong, and deserved to be; not that they were simply put there to reach the idiotic moshcore fanbase.
I hate to be condescending, but this is really loving dumb. Just because I happen to dislike something that you do like, means that I shouldn't lump them into the same category of lovely bands that play the exact same sub-genre of music? I know for a fact that I am not the only person to do that, because it easily can give perspective and points of reference. If I hear something lovely from a sub-genre that I already consider garbage, then guess what? I'm going to compare that awful recording to the same poo poo that gets tossed around like it's the end-all-be-all of metal.

For instance, if I were to review, oh, let's say Hail Of Bullets' album, ...Of Frost And War, then I am going to compare the music heard on this album to other death metal bands of its ilk, like Dismember, Asphyx, Interment, Grave, and so forth. You know why? Because not only am I familiar with the genre, but I can also rate it in my mind as to how that release stacks up to the aforementioned bands track records, and decide whether to just stick with the veterans or take a chance on the new guys (although we all know that Hail Of Bullets is made up of veterans, but my point still stands).

To say that something "diminishes" a band because they are stacked up against other feeble groups of their kind is incredibly childish, almost barring them from any sort of criticism at all. I know I may be going deaf in my left ear, but after almost twenty years of listening to this kind of music (which doesn't make me anymore qualified than the rest of you), I don't think my ears can really lie to me, and my brain won't let me give any band any slack if I feel they are poo poo and deserved to be called out right (I'm looking at you, Deicide). You're right though, art and music is completely subjective, and along with the rest of you I'm making my opinion be known (why in this thread, I have no loving clue).

Cock Soup posted:

Not many of their riffs are noticeable but there are some pretty drat solid ones.
To me, it isn't even a matter of most of the riffs not even being noticeable. It's the complete lack of any originality or feeling in the music that destroys any credibility they had with me. Seriously, if this were about riffs not being noticeable, then I would have to call myself an insane hypocrite because I'd say about 90% of what I listen to has indecipherable riffs.

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

You are loving stupid. It is very easy to water down their music into a quick summary of "cookie-cutter breakdown-soaked downtuned garbage sonic catastrophes".

Part of the reason they are so enjoyed is because most of their breakdowns are NOT cookie-cutter, and the music is well composed in terms of break-people's-faces-rage music. Of course there are going to be those that disagree, but you thinking that does NOT take credibility away from his argument that ALL THESE loving ARGUMENTS OVER WHAT BAND IS "NOT REAL MUSIC" or is "COOKIE-CUTTER" or WHATEVER is going nowhere and please oh god please just shut the gently caress up and talk about music

This entire thread is like looking into a civil war; it's hilarious. This thread is like a PSA telling me what bands I should completely skip over or listen to for a good laugh. A lot of bands turning the genre into one gigantic fashion show? Getting a raging boner because of a machine gun sampled-breakdown? Music is dead.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 5, 2009

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Traitorous Leopard posted:

I'm not gonna lie... I did get a semi the first time I heard it.

Does that make me a bad person?
Yes.

quote:

Also, what's peoples' beef with breakdowns in general? Why are they thought of as generally bad?

Only when they become the focal point of the music and everything else takes a backseat, and when every single band has them in every single song. I look at them the same way I do guitar solos; just because you can do them doesn't mean they need to be ran into the loving ground.

I like breakdowns that can be done tastefully and actually adds to the music, like Rotten Sound and Napalm Death, for instance.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Spiral posted:

Just because a band is popular doesn't mean they necessarily "sold out" or whatever buzzword you want to use to say that they are pandering to an audience. Some people just actually think that kind of music is sweet and choose to write it. Different tastes i guess.

It's impossible to "sell out" when most bands in this thread never had any musical integrity to begin with.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Hello thread.

I know the posters and I have had differences in the past, but I come swinging an olive branch in the name of metal unity, and a request.

I am one of four contributors (all goons) to an international webzine (United States, United Kingdom, Netherlands, and South America) that is dedicated to everything heavy metal called Metal Blast. We are a small outfit of people who eat, sleep, and breathe metal of all kinds and want to tell the world about it. We've been in effect since this past September, and have been laying down our roots and gaining connections throughout the industry.

The reason why I am making this post is that while we love metal in all its glory, none of us really know anything about or are not general fans of the more modern styles, particularly that of metalcore and deathcore, and are looking to expand our talent pool. I'm hoping that there are a few of you who would be interesting in lending your knowledge to the website and care to be regular contributors. The content has been lacking a bit since our inception, but we are looking to really ramp things up and get our hooks deep into the world of metal with superior content.

While the music discussed in this thread may not be my cup of tea, I know that just because I am not a fan does not mean that our readers aren't interested in hearing about it. That is where you come in.

If any of you have questions or would like to join forces then you may either PM me or send me an e-mail at burkanj [at] gmail [dot] com.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

ShoogaSlim posted:

Your site is really total opposite end of the spectrum though. Hardcore/metalcore/etc news is really monopolized by Lambgoat.

This is exactly why I came to this thread. While my expertise may lie in the fields of death metal, grindcore and goregrind, I know that metalcore and deathcore deserve to be a part of the website since they are a part of heavy metal as a whole. Believe me, I could easily review a bunch of those kinds of albums, but I would 99% of the time trash them because it's not my style. That isn't exactly a fair shake when someone like me has such a tremendous bias.

I suppose if I really wanted to I could just spam that last post of mine on Facebook pages of all the more established and popular bands in the hopes some fan of theirs might see it, but I think that's taking far too big of a gamble when I know I'll have much better luck with goons.

ShoogaSlim posted:

Your site gave the I Wrestled a Bear Once album 8/10

:negative:

Yeah, I gave the creator a lot of ball busting about it since he was the one that wrote it. :ughh:

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 15, 2011