Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
African Grey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

DorianGravy posted:

Whoa, that's cool. How did you do the lighting?

Thanks. This was my uncle's bird for thirty years. He was chronically ill and passed away in November. I saw the end coming and started to reach out to the bird to help her transition for the upcoming loss. The family decided it would be best if the bird went with me after he died, basically nobody cared to take her and I didn't feel that was right.

We became really good buddies over the last couple months and now we're inseparable. She goes everywhere with me, we play and groom each other, etc. She's helped me with a lot of depression and anxiety issues I'm currently facing in my life.

I was in the unfinished basement one day and walking around and saw a sunbeam coming through the little basement window up above. I tracked it across the room and saw it was cutting through a lot of basement dust, front lighting the dust particles in slow motion and saw the opportunity for a neat shot. I set up a chair, threw a throw blanket over the chair and went to get the bird. I sat her on the back of the chair to play around in the sun.

Most of my camera gear was stolen at a live band gig a while back so I've been stuck with just what I had around my neck at the time which was my 70D body and a 70-200/2.8. The body is jacked from wear and tear over the years and the mounting ring is warped so the lens doesn't fit properly causing me to only have manual focusing ability and slightly unfocused final images even at peak focus.

Since I was on a telephoto I had to cram myself back as far as I could against a wall and just wait for the right moment constantly messing with the focus while she danced.

Viginti Septem fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 12, 2021

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

charliebravo77 posted:

Submitted 3 of my owls. Can't win if you don't play, though I seriously doubt I'll win anything. I've spent more on way dumber things.

These are incredible, I love the color contrast of the hills to the foreground.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
I recently got a tilt shift adapter for M42 mount lenses and I took it down to the old kansas city industrial district to do some shooting and learn it's functions. There's always a wealth of birds down there hanging out on power lines and on the rooflines of dilapidated buildings from the 1800s.

I will try to focus more on birds when I'm down there next time. The outing was focused on building hunting, and not bird shots. But I do have these.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Stuck inside yesterday on a rainy day. Playing around with some old film lens gear on the a7r.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

🦉

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Great bird shots 👍

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Manual focus'er here as well

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Careful, they work on Beetlejuice rules. Three shrikes, you're out.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Thank you :tipshat:

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Cockatoos and Corvids 😎 incredible

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Well I learned something new :eng101:

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Chaff deployed!

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Speaking of getting close to birds. This was a long time ago, Dec 2015.

And yes, he ended up attacking me lol 😆

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Fruit beaks!

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Wow. This doubles as an abstract. Incredible.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Strangely sultry...

She knows how to model

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Camera'n Crow

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

NTRabbit posted:

Those eyes look like they know things about me no mortal bird should.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
A blue and gold guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
🐦