Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The standalones are worse than just putting your phone in a mount imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Would you buy a car from someone you didn't trust to tell you the truth?

I saw one on FB marketplace with pretty significant chipping on the hood, to the point where paint is peeling back. I asked the seller about it and he thought it was just rocks hitting the paint and then it chipping. The damage is on the lower fourth of the hood but I've never seen a similar pattern. Honestly it looks like it was run into something that scrapped the paint off. The rest of the car looked perfect.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Darth Brooks posted:

Would you buy a car from someone you didn't trust to tell you the truth?

I saw one on FB marketplace with pretty significant chipping on the hood, to the point where paint is peeling back. I asked the seller about it and he thought it was just rocks hitting the paint and then it chipping. The damage is on the lower fourth of the hood but I've never seen a similar pattern. Honestly it looks like it was run into something that scrapped the paint off. The rest of the car looked perfect.

You should never trust any seller to tell you the truth. You don't know how much they actually know about cars and your interests are not aligned.

This is why you get a pre purchase inspection. If the seller balks at that you have been given all the information you need in regards to their truthfulness in represnting the state of the car.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Are you only buying a new car to get car play? What other factors are driving throwing away your sweetheart financing deal and having a nearly paid off car, vs buying one at a huge financing cost

Can you retrofit a car play compatible unit in your car? I saw my buddy do that for his xyz Japanese car not long ago, was only about $700

1. I keep hearing people say that my Hyundai is a ticking time bomb with regards to potential car troubles in the future. I figured if I could get a high re-sale/trade in value for a Honda or Toyota, it might be a good idea to do so now (i.e. have a larger lump sum paid into a more reliable car). The idea was to effectively extend the loan for a few more years for a slightly better/more reliable car (I was just thinking about this and haven't gone to any dealers to see if the math would work).

2. Honestly, the only feature that is missing that irks me is the lack of integrated navigation in the infotainment console.

I never considered just paying someone to modify my car. Also I figure if I only average 3k miles a year, it may take many years until I see any mechanical issues (if any do arise). I think I just wanted to run this idea with people who know more about cars and see if it was terrible or not.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Nitrox posted:

How about $200?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_070DMCPA7B/Dual-DMCPA70BT.html?tp=72381

You'll need about $150 in plug and play hardware. Install takes about 15 minutes

Thanks. I'll look into this.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
People are not often smart about car reliability. The Koreans are not gonna match Toyota but that means you may get some post warranty SNAFUs on some probabilistic basis. Any given mass market car is gonna be affordable to maintain through 200kmi if you follow preventative schedules though. You're mostly dealing with annoyances these days instead of early totalling, dangerous things breaking etc.

Among other things you need to filter completely incomparable things people are silly about, like managing to drive a Prius to death by ignoring all preventative maintenance and then balking at actually needing to do routine timing or transmission work at 100k on a Korean.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
We have had a kia and hyundai for about 8 years and it's just little annoyances like the door handles being extremely flimsy when dealing with large children not knowing their own strength etc but overall the powertrain is pretty solid. I think they still have a 10 year on that as well? I wouldn't be too worried about any korean car from the last 10-15 years being a ticking time bomb though.

The whole cult of toyota reliability is always strange to me.. Maybe just do some maintenance on your cars and don't just thrash on them?? They'd last even longer!

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

BigRoman posted:

1. I keep hearing people say that my Hyundai is a ticking time bomb with regards to potential car troubles in the future. I figured if I could get a high re-sale/trade in value for a Honda or Toyota, it might be a good idea to do so now (i.e. have a larger lump sum paid into a more reliable car). The idea was to effectively extend the loan for a few more years for a slightly better/more reliable car (I was just thinking about this and haven't gone to any dealers to see if the math would work).

2. Honestly, the only feature that is missing that irks me is the lack of integrated navigation in the infotainment console.

I never considered just paying someone to modify my car. Also I figure if I only average 3k miles a year, it may take many years until I see any mechanical issues (if any do arise). I think I just wanted to run this idea with people who know more about cars and see if it was terrible or not.

With your driving habits and needs it absolutely makes sense to keep your car. It's honestly hard to find an unreliable car these days.

As others have said there are a ton of ways to add carplay into your car, but another option is a high quality, permanently installed magsafe phone mount. I don't mean anything that clips on a vent, has a suction cup, or fits in a cupholder but one that is designed to bolt in and is formed to the trim pieces of your car.

Whatever the case even the most expensive aftermarket head unit will cost less than the costs of trading in your car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

priznat posted:

We have had a kia and hyundai for about 8 years and it's just little annoyances like the door handles being extremely flimsy when dealing with large children not knowing their own strength etc but overall the powertrain is pretty solid. I think they still have a 10 year on that as well? I wouldn't be too worried about any korean car from the last 10-15 years being a ticking time bomb though.

The whole cult of toyota reliability is always strange to me.. Maybe just do some maintenance on your cars and don't just thrash on them?? They'd last even longer!

ehh just off hand Hyundai/Kia have had some serious issues with DCTs and the Theta engine series that you can't really do anything about.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

ehh just off hand Hyundai/Kia have had some serious issues with DCTs and the Theta engine series that you can't really do anything about.

oh yeah forgot about the thetas.. How are the DCTs now? I heard the 8 spd in the new santa fe was a little rough on starts, when were their main problem with them? Wondering what kind of risk there is there..

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Apparently some of those lemon engine cars now have a lifetime warranty, but you have to get the dealer to install a ksds (?) knock sensor (free) to qualify. According to the Internet

Having a lemon car kind of changes the calculus slightly

If it were me and I was driving 3k miles a year I'd buy a used throwaway car (Toyota or Honda) for $10-12k, keep up with maintenance, and then replace it when the drivetrain gave out; I would absolutely not be buying a new car but that's just me

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

My wife has a 2017 Hyundai Elantra SE, it's pretty barebones. I assume your Accent is similar. It actually didn't even have any kind of infotainment, just a regular radio. I installed an aftermarket radio with Android Auto/Carplay and a backup camera for like $500. I also bought the OEM steering wheel controls as hers didn't have any and she is able to control the radio from those.

As a bonus, the steering wheel controls came with cruise control buttons that actually worked when I plugged them in. Previously there was no way to utilize it.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There's also the saga of H/K cheaping out on immobilizers, leading people to be able to start cars with USB cables

The only Hyundai and Kia vehicles you should buy are BEVs, or ICE vehicles with a minimum of 6 cylinders

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Godzilla07 posted:

There's also the saga of H/K cheaping out on immobilizers, leading people to be able to start cars with USB cables

Which has been "fixed" with a software update in most, but that doesn't stop degens from breaking a window and busting out the ignition switch to see if yours hasn't been updated yet if you live or park in places where that kind of thing happens.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I want a car with less ground clearance so I dont have to worry as much about catalytic converter thieves. My wifes Hyundai Santa Fe sport had it cut off in our driveway, that sucked.

Even cars are not immune but its just a is harder than the crossover one house down type of thing.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Motronic posted:

Which has been "fixed" with a software update in most, but that doesn't stop degens from breaking a window and busting out the ignition switch to see if yours hasn't been updated yet if you live or park in places where that kind of thing happens.

I dont live in that kind of place but it still made the insurance costs for a Kia Stinger way higher. It was unfortunate because it would have been a good option for my use case.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Are the catalytic converters on the new Prius models still highly sought after and targeted for theft?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

remigious posted:

Are the catalytic converters on the new Prius models still highly sought after and targeted for theft?

Why, are you looking to sell?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have one of those kias with the life time warranty on the engine. Its kind of nice. One less thing to worry about.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Nitrox posted:

Why, are you looking to sell?

lol no, I just really like the new Prius but live in a lovely area of town and concerns over catalytic converter theft stopped me from getting a Prius earlier.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

priznat posted:

I want a car with less ground clearance so I dont have to worry as much about catalytic converter thieves. My wifes Hyundai Santa Fe sport had it cut off in our driveway, that sucked.

Even cars are not immune but its just a is harder than the crossover one house down type of thing.

yeah i was gonna say the classical target is the Prius which has uh 6" of ground clearance

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Why is the Prius the preferred prey for converter theft? Do the newer models have designs to inhibit theft?

Other cars seem to have solved this issue or at least mitigated.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Well there's a lot of them so if you can only learn how to steal 1 type of cat you're going to pick Prius no matter the safeguards.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

IIRC its cat has a disproportionately large amount of sparkly bits inside that combined with their commonality make it more profitable.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

zedprime posted:

Well there's a lot of them so if you can only learn how to steal 1 type of cat you're going to pick Prius no matter the safeguards.

not really. the Prius has never cracked the top 10 in sales.

The real reason is that because of its hybrid powertrain the Prius catalyst contains a lot more of the exotic materials that make stealing catalytic converters a viable way to make some money.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Prius is also a very clean vehicle, so it's common for a 12 year old catalytic to be in fantastic shape.

Just to be clear, catalytic theft is not limited to Prius cars. Thieves steal whatever they can get their hands on. And the most popular vehicles are SUVs because of the ground clearance

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Jeez how the heck do they shimmy under there!!

In my area there are way more full size trucks than Prius, those would be a cinch to swipe from in comparison. Unless they dont have as many precious minerals in there.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

the toyota trucks get them cut out too. actually toyota trucks have more than one to cut out I think. the most recent cat thefts i heard of in my area were gmc and ford dealer lots though

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

priznat posted:

Jeez how the heck do they shimmy under there!!

In my area there are way more full size trucks than Prius, those would be a cinch to swipe from in comparison. Unless they don’t have as many precious minerals in there.

A lot of them use quick jacks. You don't need too much more space.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

DildenAnders posted:

A lot of them use quick jacks. You don't need too much more space.

I wonder how often that goes wrong and the owner comes out in the morning to find someone trapped and hollering or smooshed :ohdear:

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Someone posted a story about it happening to someone under a prius, maybe in this thread?

None of the people I know who've lost their catalytic converters to thieves were priuses couple of trucks and a minivan. I do have friends with an Elantra that got stolen 4 times I think, plus had the engine issue.They wound up trading it for a corolla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Some idiot stole the resonator (its kinda like a muffler but not quite) out of a work truck a couple winters ago.