Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

I know now why you Cuddle. But it's something I can never do.
I'm trying to decide on a new car, between the Ford fiesta and Honda fit. I currently am driving a '95 VW Jetta with ~105k miles on it that has a problem that my family mechanic basically told me it would be more to fix it than the car is worth. the Jetta i drive now is as far as i can tell on it's last legs due to the problems it's having it won't be able to pass inspection. is there anything that anyone has heard about either car? I've been having trouble finding many complaints about either car. from what i understand sticker price is going to be between 15k- 18k depending on which car i go with. I'm not worried about depreciation in value because i plan on driving what ever new car i get for as long as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

The Fiesta doesn't seem to have too many consumer reviews from Britain, either, which is surprising. I only found these:
http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/ford/fiesta/2011/
http://www.thecarconnection.com/opinionscollection/ford_fiesta_2011_1

There shouldn't be too many problems, as even though it is new for the US, it isn't new worldwide, which means major problems would have been addressed by now.

Any chance you'd consider a 1-year old Fit? The whole financial bit and all...

i spent some more time looking around and came across the Nissan versa, which totally blew the fit and fiesta out of the water in terms of price, also was looking at cars through CostCo, because my parents have the membership with them, i'd be looking at ~15k on a fiesta, or 12k on the versa. as much as i like the fiesta a lot more than the versa, the price is hard to beat, while the only things i'm seeing that i'd be losing out on between the two is the versa doesn't have heated seats and does not look as good as the fiesta to me. probably going to go out to test drive some soon

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

It's not worth the 3k difference in price to most people, but the Fiesta has SYNC, which is one of the best audio/communication control systems out there.

the problem i have with the Fiesta is the history I've seen and read about ford cars while i haven't read anything bad about the Fiesta itself i have no clue if something is waiting and lurking to pop up.

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I absolutely agree. Unlike GM and Chrysler, Ford managed to turn around their lineup well enough to avoid massive bankruptcy and bailout. The mustang is not my style of car but by all accounts it's a very good car especially for the price; their trucks are still great; and in the last four or five years they've been making more and more good quality small cars. So they have a good lineup and, since they're domestic, probably are much cheaper to maintain and fix than your typical import as well.

That's not to say that a Fit is a bad choice - it's also an excellent car.

I don't know much about the Versa, though; when I was shopping for used hatchbacks last year I definitely didn't care much for it, but mostly on aesthetic grounds.

I decided that beyond my only thing i wont negotiate on (power windows cause gently caress diving across my car to roll down a window for the gas attendant, nothing against him more against the car) Everything else takes a small back seat to price. while i definitely like the way the Fit looks over everything else I've looked at, but the price tag Makes me shrink a bit. Between the Fiesta and Versa that I'm looking at I'm leaning more towards the Versa due to the price and having the features i want, and I'm not too sure that the SYNC in the Fiesta and the option for butt heaters is enough to warrant the price difference to me. While butt warmers are nice i can survive without them, and when it comes to music, so long as i can plug in my MP3 player and blast out "Get Low" like a moron I'm happy.

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

If you are that price-conscious, you should be shopping for a used car, not a brand new one. Most cars depreciate by at least 25% the moment you drive them off the lot. You can buy a Versa or a Fit that's just a year or two old and save a ton.

If you need financing, you can get used vehicle financing by buying from a dealer or by applying for a used vehicle loan from your bank.

Not that I'm arguing against buying a less expensive car new, mind you; just that if the difference between like $12k and $15k is a big deal to you, but you really want a Fit, why wouldn't you just spend $12k or so for a used Fit?

I've given though to getting a "slightly used" 2010 or 2009, i'm not worried about depreciation of the car because i plan on driving it for quite a while.

CornHolio posted:

Ford has made some incredible leaps and strides, quality wise. I'd say they're better than most of the Japanese companies at this point, to be completely honest. I'd much rather have a new Taurus than a new Camry.

managed to miss this earlier, this is nice news to hear from multiple people, because i was really liking how the fiesta looked. When it comes to price I've been being a stickler about it because i said i want to stay under $20k, but at the same time I'd rather be closer to $15k than $20k.

alreadybeen posted:

Look for a used Hyundai. If you buy certified pre-owned the warranties carry over and will cover you for 5 years/60,000 miles. For their price level they have some really nice features.

as far as cars in general go I've pretty much narrowed what i do want down to the Fiesta or Versa, with the fit being more on the back burner.

Something else that just occurred to me now, I have also been keeping an eye on rear leg room, due to with the people I hang out with I end up being the driver, so the Fiesta's 31" to the Versa's 38 may seem like 7 is a small amount but I'm imagining it will make a big difference. also, right now I'm basing everything I've researched off of paper values. the 28th is when i plan on going out to finally test drive vehicles. I'm hoping the Fiesta recovers it's edge in person because i do really like the way it looks over the Versa, (which really is a small difference to me).

kimbo305 posted:

If that's the case, you only stand to save more by getting a used one and running it as long as you can.

the problem i have with used is the irrational fear that getting used (even if it's a used lease car for example) that i'll end up with a car that may only be a year or two old, but has been treated like poo poo and and up having to fix it up a lot sooner than i'd hope to.

The_Fuzzinator fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 17, 2011

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

Finally got out to test drive cars, ended up driving a Nissan Versa, Ford fiesta, fusion and focus. of all four of those i liked the versa tons more than any of the others. the Ford dealer i was at also was absolutely desperate to get me to sign today. knocking the Focus down to 14,600 from 18,103. Nothing gave as much space as the versa did for me. Even though on paper all the numbers are ~1 inch of each other the versa was so much spacious feeling. Getting a loan through my families credit union. Nissan dealer said based on what me and my mom think our credit scores are that we might be able to score their 1.9% apr 72 month or 0% apr 60 month rates.

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

Taco Box posted:

What'd you think of the fiesta?

The fiesta drove and handled well, but Holy poo poo it was a lot narrower than i expected, and on the 4-door sedan i drove they might as well of not even put a back seat in, because only midgets and amputees would fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

Hello Thread goers!

This morning someone decided the back of my vehicle was the proper way to go from ~30mph to 0 at a red light so im in the market for a new/lightly used car.

Proposed Budget: Looking to land close to what i am paying monthly for my current vehicle so around ~$265 a month, i have ~10k to put down.
New or Used: New is always nice but 30k miles and under used is also doable
Body Style: Sedans or other car lookin cars. I dont like SUVs or Big vehicles
How will you be using the car?: 40 mile daily commute to and from work Mostly highway, occasionally stop and go due to traffic.. occasional trips around NJ
What aspects are most important to you?
1) fuel efficiency- I'd love to have a Hybrid. wish i could go full EV but im in an apartment that does not have chargers
2) Feature rich-i like having wireless android auto, Remote start is nice for the icy days and sweaty days.
3) safety and comfort features-adaptive cruise control makes my longer trips wonderful, Lane assist is a nice to have. rearview camera is a must as im terrible with backing up, but all around camera for parking and such would be cool to have.

Dont know how insurance is all going to pan out, but the cops issued a careless to the person who hit me and my insurance agent gave me a gentle nudge not to put a claim in with my insurance without trying to hit the other drivers insurance first.

KBB on my totaled car runs around ~15000 and about 11k is going to clear away the rest of the auto loan i have from that one. but burning some cash on a down payment to get either a nicer car or a lower payment is worthwhile to me.

i've eyed around at a couple of hybrids, Toyota Prius and Ford Fusion were offered as suggestions. but wanted to get some more thoughts from anyone that could give other makes/models for me to go out and test drive