Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Not mine.

https://i.imgur.com/P26yLq5.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I'm glad they were able to get that out of the little fellow; swallowing a battery is no joke.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
One of my students gave me a balloon for my birthday and when the helium was half gone a few days later, my husband and I spent like an hour drunkenly making our guineapigs react to it and rolling on the floor laughing.

I'd hold it down to floor level and get the guineapig's attention by crinkling the Mylar, and then slowly letting it float up, and the piggies would follow it with their heads with their eyes huge and mouths hanging open. My girls were popcorning and doing the drill-shake thing. 10/10 highly recommend showing your pigs a half-deflated helium balloon while drunk.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I love friendly rat forecast most of the time. like this time. :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83xIUyxDHEg

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I have been thinking of getting a couple gerbils and ordering some bluegrass or third cut timothy hay from KMS Hayloft because they like to immediately chew it to bits and build tunnels with it but I can not find their original website anymore, do they still exist?

E: this is pretty much what I get from both my old book mark and the link on their facebook page:

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 3, 2023

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I have been thinking of getting a couple gerbils and ordering some bluegrass or third cut timothy hay from KMS Hayloft because they like to immediately chew it to bits and build tunnels with it but I can not find their original website anymore, do they still exist?

E: this is pretty much what I get from both my old book mark and the link on their facebook page:

Unfortunately they went belly up. The original owner died and the family sold it to some new guy who pretty much immediately drove it into the ground. The pandemic didn't help either I'm sure but at the end there they just straight up stopped replying to customer emails and phone calls.

I get my hay from Small Pet Select now and honestly the quality is better than anything I got from KMS over their last few years. I've been buying both 1st and 3rd cut timothy hay and both are great.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So Munna my hedgehog has decided he loves his wheel all night (no issue as I never hear him with all the aquarium pumps) and he is not a huge fan of exploring outside his cage. He does, however, love to sleep in his pouch and will sleep in said pouch while I watch TV or read the forums for hours on end. I need to upgrade him to a backpack cause my neck is starting to ache.

edit: I actually fell asleep today with him. Little bugger didn't leave his pouch or wake because few things are better than nice warm dark pouch against my body apparently.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 25, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We got our male Guinea pig neutered. Does it really take 8 weeks for him not be fertile anymore ? We have two other female pigs who he lives next to in a divided cage

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
When we got ours neutered the vet told us "one month" and we waited until we hit the same calendar day of the next month before we adopted some girls from a shelter. 2 years and no babies but follow whatever your vet says.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Yeah I would say at least 1 month. I currently have two boars and would not want to deal with excessive baby pigs, they are cute but a huge hassle to adopt if it comes to it

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Can I ask how much male pig neutering cost?

We adopted two female pigs from the shelter a couple months ago. And, of course, one came pre-loaded with 3 extra pigs. My kids are now angling for us to keep the two boys. We are already keeping the girl because I’m a sucker.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It was like 250

You can keep them next to each other in separate cages. They don’t seem to mind it too much and still talk to each other

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

yeah sounds about right. if you're new/lazy i really recommend https://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/. my guys have two 2x5 cages tied together in an L shaped pattern and i can frequently hear them sprinting around from corner to corner and it's super cute. prices have jumped though, a basic 2x5 is 99$ currently

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I have an honest, emotional question to ask.

My buddy Coleslaw is dying. He's an old man, almost 7 years old and has a huge tumor on his neck. It has been growing rapidly this last month.

He still gets up to eat and drink, and doesn't seem to be in any pain, but he lost his sqeak this week and it's more of a wheeze now. I'm worried it will suffocate him soon.

Again, he's old and I knew it was going to happen eventually but I'm torn between letting him die at home and having him put down.

His cage mate is the same age and won't leave his side.

He mostly just sleeps and isn't in any obvious distress but I've been bawling my rear end off trying to decide what is right.

I'd give him a week at most, but I'd have to put him in the freezer if he passes before my next day off and the thought makes me want to puke.

I don't have a ton of money and at his age I know he wouldn't make it though anesthesia for surgery anyway so that's not in consideration.

I just...don't know what to do. I've been giving him watermelon and pets..he'll probably pass here I just needed to vent.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

It might be a kindness to consider euthanasia. Guinea pigs are so good at hiding pain since they are prey animals, a large tumor may be causing discomfort even if they aren't showing it. I've been in your exact position more times than I'd like and it's always very hard- you know your pet best but remember to also consider your own needs at this point, both emotional and logistical. So sorry you're going through this but 7 is an amazing age to reach for a pig, you've given them a great life.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I know it's the correct thing to do.

But it sucks. I love that little bastard. I don't want him to suffer, but that little voice in the back of my head keeps saying 'what if he isn't suffering? What if he's OK with going out on his favorite pillow? How am I going to explain to the kids thier little goldfish cracker sneaking buddy isn't around anymore?'

What am I going to do with Copper? Nobody wants to adopt a 7 year old pig. They've been together since I got them. He'd just be a lonely single pig one way or the other.

poo poo sucks but yeah he had a great life for a Petsmart pig. He used to fit in the palm of my hand, now he's the size of my forearm.

Just a good, good boy all around and a lovely outcome either way.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
If I, after my best attempt at discerning any pain levels, can't find any obvious distress*, I normally give them a week more. Sometimes they sleep in and die, sometimes not and then it's off the the vet.

* carefully but firmly apply pressure to each side and end of their body, if they are in pain they will normally squawk. I learned this from a vet, and you can definitely get the vet to do it if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, I had a hamster who clearly had a cancerous tumor, but also was just doing their thing unperturbed by this growing lump on their side, no signs of distress or pain and continued running on their wheel and everything, and went a further month until they simply passed in their sleep. It does suck, and guinea pigs are indeed good at hiding it from experience, but if he's doing fine after you do what the above post says, I'd say see how he fares for the week.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Treecko posted:

I know it's the correct thing to do.

But it sucks. I love that little bastard. I don't want him to suffer, but that little voice in the back of my head keeps saying 'what if he isn't suffering? What if he's OK with going out on his favorite pillow? How am I going to explain to the kids thier little goldfish cracker sneaking buddy isn't around anymore?'

What am I going to do with Copper? Nobody wants to adopt a 7 year old pig. They've been together since I got them. He'd just be a lonely single pig one way or the other.

poo poo sucks but yeah he had a great life for a Petsmart pig. He used to fit in the palm of my hand, now he's the size of my forearm.

Just a good, good boy all around and a lovely outcome either way.

I am sorry you're going through this. Seven years is proof that you did right by your pigs and that their lives were objectively better for having you in them, and I'd think it feels really unfair after all of that to be put in the position to have to make a decision of this magnitude for Coleslaw. I don't have anything meaningful to add in terms of guidance; our pigs are just over a year old and hopefully we won't have to make this decision for a few years at least. But I see how this situation hurts, and I suspect it hurts for the same reason that Copper and Coleslaw have made it this long: because you treated them with care, dignity and love.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Well, he didn't squawk or try to get away when I picked him up and rubbed him down the other day, so he gets to continue trooping on for now.

He even got up to rattle the cage and wheeze at me this morning for fresh hay before I left for work so he must be feeling alright.

But seriously thanks for the condolences and thoughts everyone it means alot.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Nori would like you to believe that she is very hungry, possibly even starving. Pay no attention to the fact that it's 10am and she has already had 3 snacks today.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have the same modular set up with the storage bins underneath. A+

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

euphronius posted:

I have the same modular set up with the storage bins underneath. A+

Yeah I love the bins, they are so useful. Previously I had the whole setup on top of some plywood that was resting on milk crates. Kinda looked like crap.

Here's the whole thing:

I keep trying to think about how I can make it a little bigger. Thinking about maybe a little ramp down to the floor for floor time when I'm working at my desk.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How many in there ?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

euphronius posted:

How many in there ?

Three at the moment. Thinking about adding another one here soon-ish.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The big box is divided into zones

2 of 3 pigs pictured

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Nice! What kind of water bottles are you using there? I've got a box full of different kinds that my pigs refuse to use but I've never seen that one before.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Brand is Oxbow
I guess it is a drip less water bottle

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The inside of the box . I make them a new one every couple of weeks

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Do you have problems with your pigs chewing the poo poo out of tape? Ours all love the sweet taste of masking and duct tape so we've had to get really careful about how we assemble boxes for them to play in.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t think so

They like the cardboard as you can see

newts
Oct 10, 2012
I’m considering getting our male guinea pig neutered :ohdear:

He’s one of a litter of three that our old female (from the animal shelter) had. I thought we’d done everything right: took the babies to the vet twice to be sexed, right after birth and at 3 weeks old, and then separated them. But it’s obvious now that one of the ‘boys’ is a female and that she’s pregnant. Which sucks because now we’ve made more unwanted pigs. The other options for our poor, lone boy besides neutering are to give him away, or have him live in a separate cage, but I don’t like either of those.

It’s just that I live in a big city that doesn’t really have a great guinea pig vet. I’d feel terrible if something happened to the little guy. He’s a delightful little vermin and we’re all attached. No way I’m using our current vet.

Anyway, just venting.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Any time they go under anesthesia is definitely a risk, but neutering a boar is much less invasive than spaying a sow. There is some extremely old info here with vet recommendations, maybe you'll find something useful? https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewforum.php?f=97&sid=8ac23d6e25112c9cbf74c19120b42562

If there are any small animal rescues around, they might also have some recommendations.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
The local shelter (well, next city over) has a price listed for a guinea pig neuter on their website, but they have a lot of poor customer reviews for their other animal neuters. I feel weird calling them interrogating some poor receptionist about their vets’ experience with small mammals.

I’ll try the list of recs, thanks!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Neutering males helps them when they get older as it prevents infections in their butt area

Or so I was told

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

newts posted:

The local shelter (well, next city over) has a price listed for a guinea pig neuter on their website, but they have a lot of poor customer reviews for their other animal neuters. I feel weird calling them interrogating some poor receptionist about their vets’ experience with small mammals.

I’ll try the list of recs, thanks!

where do you live? In MA we have an SPCA wildlife center/sanctuary that also has an “odd pet vet” office that deals with exotics and livestock animals, and at rates way cheaper than exotics/small animal vets in the big city.

It’s a bit of a drive but so far I’ve gotten four male rabbits neutered there (they don’t do spaying for small animals) and they do really excellent work for like a third of what it would cost me to do it elsewhere (like $300 vs $900, and they also used to do “bundle” pricing if you were bringing more than one in at once)

newts
Oct 10, 2012
I live in Denver. If anyone knows someone…

Got quotes from our local ‘exotic’ vets who seem to actually have real experience in small mammal surgery: around $500 :ohdear:

The Boulder Humane Society has a price of $250 on their website for guinea pig and rabbit neutering. Reviews talking about sloppy neutering and spaying for dogs and cats. I mean, it’s the budget option, I get it. But our little guy… :ohdear:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

newts posted:

I live in Denver. If anyone knows someone…

Got quotes from our local ‘exotic’ vets who seem to actually have real experience in small mammal surgery: around $500 :ohdear:

The Boulder Humane Society has a price of $250 on their website for guinea pig and rabbit neutering. Reviews talking about sloppy neutering and spaying for dogs and cats. I mean, it’s the budget option, I get it. But our little guy… :ohdear:

$500 isn’t terrible vs $250, but I don’t know your finances

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
So...this is how you sex a guinea pig.

Hold them in one hand, with the other place a thumb on thier belly, gently press towards their genitals.

If it's a male, the penis should pop out. You can tell this at a pretty young age.

This also works for rabbits.

Thank you high-school agriculture class, not sure how your vet missed it.