Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
2 males can be fine in the same cage, if you give them the space. They will squabble and fight, no doubt. You may see blood.

But it isn't usually fatal and you'll have to monitor them.

A good first aid kit may come in handy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

My two boars fight on occasion, especially during cleanings when I am getting poop out of a hidey and they cram into the other and fight over space. Never had bleeding, but they’re brothers so maybe that’s why they never get too violent.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
When I got mine, they would get into tussle, pull hair, and shriek like banshee.

But, I always made sure to watch them, so when that happened, I could intervene.

They both got a good chunk out of the other's ear. Pretty bloody, but nothing some toilet paper and a good stypict pencil couldn't handle.

Good treats and lots of food and water in seperate parts of the cage helps a lot when bonding boars.

It CAN work, but it can also be difficult.

In thier old age they don't give a gently caress and snuggle, but Copper still has first rights to fresh veggies.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Treecko posted:

So...this is how you sex a guinea pig.

Hold them in one hand, with the other place a thumb on thier belly, gently press towards their genitals.

If it's a male, the penis should pop out. You can tell this at a pretty young age.

This also works for rabbits.

Thank you high-school agriculture class, not sure how your vet missed it.

It’s difficult to sex rabbits that way without risking more serious injury to their gi tract, or especially their lower spine.

once they start approaching the right age it’ll pop out plenty on its own, and also their little bozacks will descend and fill out. The issue is that they’re often sold/distributed/adopted/etc right before they hit that age

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Ok Comboomer posted:

It’s difficult to sex rabbits that way without risking more serious injury to their gi tract, or especially their lower spine.

once they start approaching the right age it’ll pop out plenty on its own, and also their little bozacks will descend and fill out. The issue is that they’re often sold/distributed/adopted/etc right before they hit that age

I should have stated that you should never, ever, hold them by the scruff, always cradle them like the sweet babies they are.

I was in the FFA and showed rabbits, it's brutal how some people handle it.

But you can tell by looking at the genital opening

newts
Oct 10, 2012
I’m happy to report that our guinea guy was neutered about 12 days ago and is doing well. The incest babies were born and are also doing well. They’ll go to the no-kill shelter when they’re weaned at 21 days or so.

https://imgur.com/a/DsBjcNZ

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

newts posted:

I’m happy to report that our guinea guy was neutered about 12 days ago and is doing well. The incest babies were born and are also doing well. They’ll go to the no-kill shelter when they’re weaned at 21 days or so.

do we need to be worried about the little Targaryens?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

newts posted:

Awesome news, glad he's doing ok. Those babies are sure drat cute too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ok Comboomer posted:

do we need to be worried about the little Targaryens?

Targuineans.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Awesome news, glad he's doing ok. Those babies are sure drat cute too.

yes, too bad they’re abominations in the eyes of the Lord

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

One of our three female guinea pigs has been really irritable over the past few weeks and spending a lot of time hiding. No changes in terms of her appetite, and she is still drinking water but we got her to a vet yesterday that specializes in guinea pigs and from what we described and an examination of Bellona, the vet diagnosed her with cystic ovaries and has prescribed a monthly hormone injection rather than spaying as apparently with guinea pigs there are concerns about anaesthesia and the fact that three incisions need to be made due to the locations of their ovaries and uterus. Not looking forward to having to stick the poor creature with a needle once a month but hopefully this will allow her to be her more typical, affectionate self as opposed to the world's smallest grizzly bear.

It seems like being female stacks the deck against you no matter what species you are.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

yes, too bad they’re abominations in the eyes of the Lord

They are :3: They’re all curly like their dad/uncle. A couple of them have extra toes, too.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

newts posted:

They are :3: They’re all curly like their dad/uncle. A couple of them have extra toes, too.

hell yes :unsmigghh:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

newts posted:

You should give them all rich and noble (ie inbred) names like Lord Charles Squeakson Esq.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You should give them all rich and noble (ie inbred) names like Lord Charles Squeakson Esq.

The Hapspig Dynasty

newts
Oct 10, 2012
I’m afraid the kids have already named them: Bumblebee, Lucky Foot, Dove, and Kiwi

I like the Hapspig Dynasty. I think their grandparents were also probably related, since their grandma was dumped pregnant at the shelter. Hopefully the sick little rodent family ends here. I’ve tried sexing them (pressing and all) and I just can’t tell the differences or they’re all the same sex. I’ll take them to our new vet before they’re weaned so I can make sure they’re separated before any more inbreeding happens.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Fearless posted:

One of our three female guinea pigs has been really irritable over the past few weeks and spending a lot of time hiding. No changes in terms of her appetite, and she is still drinking water but we got her to a vet yesterday that specializes in guinea pigs and from what we described and an examination of Bellona, the vet diagnosed her with cystic ovaries and has prescribed a monthly hormone injection rather than spaying as apparently with guinea pigs there are concerns about anaesthesia and the fact that three incisions need to be made due to the locations of their ovaries and uterus. Not looking forward to having to stick the poor creature with a needle once a month but hopefully this will allow her to be her more typical, affectionate self as opposed to the world's smallest grizzly bear.

It seems like being female stacks the deck against you no matter what species you are.

It may end up not being necessary to give her an injection every month. Sometimes they will respond very well and the cysts will shrink and not return on their next cycle.

Unfortunately on the flip side the hormone injections can also stop being effective over time. Spaying is the only permanent fix. Surgery is always a risk but if the pig is otherwise healthy it can be successful.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/guineapigs/sexing#HowToHold

This should help anyone with sexing pigs.

Look for an i in males, and a Y for females.

I'm really just trying to help, this is as close to the guide I used back in the day that I could find.

Rodents are so prolific, it can happen so fast.

I hope your new vet is better!

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Those pigs are super obvious! The babies are just so small.

Our old vet didn’t do the push test or anything, he just sort of glanced at them (two times). But, to be fair to him, I agreed with him based on two pigs looking similar (the alleged males) and one looking different (female). I only realized something was amiss when I noticed two different types of poops in the cage. But by then it was too late…

Our new vet seems better so far based on the fact that our dude survived his neutering I guess.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
It's kind of gross, nobody wants to be known as the rodent dick toucher.

But it's a fact of thier lives and I know about it, it's important information.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Treecko posted:

It's kind of gross, nobody wants to be known as the rodent dick toucher.

But it's a fact of thier lives and I know about it, it's important information.

never spent much time in farm country, have you

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Ok Comboomer posted:

never spent much time in farm country, have you

I've castrated lambs and docked tails, and been armpit deep inside a cow.

So...yes.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Treecko posted:

I've castrated lambs and docked tails, and been armpit deep inside a cow.

So...yes.

oh lol

you ever watch a chicken sexer at work? some ppl are rly good at palpating animal junk

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Yep, sexed chicks myself. You get used to it after awhile. We raised chickens too.

I think it's too late to use any of the collage credits from that class anymore, but I've always been raised around livestock.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I’d take dick toucher over guinea pig sac cleaner (which still involves dick touching). Just the most ungodly smell.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Sirotan posted:

It may end up not being necessary to give her an injection every month. Sometimes they will respond very well and the cysts will shrink and not return on their next cycle.

Unfortunately on the flip side the hormone injections can also stop being effective over time. Spaying is the only permanent fix. Surgery is always a risk but if the pig is otherwise healthy it can be successful.

The vet mentioned that the injection might help clear things up but not to bank on it being a permanent solution and that it can also lose effectiveness over time. I'd still prefer to avoid surgery if at all possible but if the injection does not work as hoped we will follow up on that if it will help Bellona be more comfortable. The poor little lady is only a year and a half old and already has cystic ovaries and is developing cataracts (though the latter are not really impeding her in any way right now).

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

verbal enema posted:

This is required to play while reading this post:
https://youtu.be/S-Xrlf3taEo?si=xGh5EoTUhINRg4G1

Buried Hercules yesterday with some help from a friend.

Made him a little cross out of twigs and roots. I hung his little pet tag on ring that opens up to read "I Love You"

I miss him

RIP, buddy

I loved that lil dude so goddamn much man gently caress lifespans I want a million year boy :c

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
RIP hercules, sorry to hear about that, VE.

Victoria Raechel, the hamster youtuber I follow, just lost her hamster Dipper, and made a montage video for them. it's very cute, a great way to say goodbye.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WajE3MRZxME&hd=1

rarely has a hamster lived such a lavish life as Dipper.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
We attempted to take some glamour shots of the baby guineas for our local cavy rescue.

Bumblebee:

Dove:

Kiwi:

Lucky Foot:

If you live near Denver, CO and are interested in a floofy, adorable incest baby raised on the finest pellets, hay, and artisanal lettuces that money can buy and handled since birth by gentle children, please let me know.

newts fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 4, 2023

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Forgot to add to my last post… But if anyone wants to take a shot at sexing these guys, I got some blurry pictures of their adorable baby genitals. Our current (probably competent) vet wants to charge $140 per pig to sex them, which is something we can’t afford right now.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

newts posted:

Forgot to add to my last post… But if anyone wants to take a shot at sexing these guys, I got some blurry pictures of their adorable baby genitals. Our current (probably competent) vet wants to charge $140 per pig to sex them, which is something we can’t afford right now.

Post!

140 bucks is loving insane. Reminds me of an old rear end in a top hat coworker, years ago, who told me it would be $60 to replace the battery on my laptop because it would take him a few hours. I took it to Best Buy to get a second quote, and the Geek Squad dude must have been having a good day, because he listened to me, flipped my laptop over, and pulled the crap battery out, and put the new one in, flipped the laptop back over, and told me to have a good day, and to not trust my coworker with my computer.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Thank you! Yeah, I was shocked at the price. I admit I haggled with the receptionist for a bit, but she insisted that they’d have to charge for a physical exam for each baby, so that was that. Our old vet had just charged us the exam fee for the mom, but he also didn’t sex them properly, so it ended up being a wash.

Here are the pics! Sorry about the quality—I have vision problems and my kids were holding the babies.

Lucky:

Kiwi:

Dove:

Bee:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Mom and I looked them over, and we will take just $140 for all four. :)

Our best guess is the bottom three are males. Hard to tell with the first one, possibly female but the coloration is throwing me off.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Mom and I looked them over, and we will take just $140 for all four. :)

Our best guess is the bottom three are males. Hard to tell with the first one, possibly female but the coloration is throwing me off.

It's been a minute for me but that was also my first impression on the pics, first one a female maybe, but not confident, and the rest are males.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Thank you, both! I’ll probably take a look again soon to try to confirm. I even bought special reading glasses just to look at baby guinea pig genitals.

They are two weeks old tomorrow, so we have one more week before separation :ohdear: They are super tame now and jump all over my hand when I put it in the cage (hoping it has pea flakes in it). I think my heart might break when I take them to the shelter because I’m already in love with them.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
If I were you, I'd separate them asap. Top definitly looks female.

Bottom 3 have testicles decending.

I don't mean to be a buzzkill, but they have no qualms mating within their family.

You could get them all fixed if you want to keep them, but it's expensive, as you know.

I wish I had better advice.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Treecko posted:

If I were you, I'd separate them asap. Top definitly looks female.

Bottom 3 have testicles decending.

I don't mean to be a buzzkill, but they have no qualms mating within their family.

You could get them all fixed if you want to keep them, but it's expensive, as you know.

I wish I had better advice.

Pretty sure they're already very aware of that unfortunate fact first-hand.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
^ yeah...

The great thing about guinea pigs is that they're born precocious. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Honestly if you were closer to middle Iowa I'd check them out myself for free, but that's not feasible. I really wish I could help more.

I'd still set up separate pens.

Treecko fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Oct 15, 2023

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Yesterday, I drove the boys 2 hours each way to a cavy rescue so they can find new homes. Good luck, little fluffs! The lone girl will go to a family nearby who have promised to get her a female companion. My kids don’t approve of this home, but we have no room for more pigs :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The little darlings require a pretty substantial amount of space... particularly if you require multiple enclosures.