Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
here you go

https://youtu.be/UDIXZX5vXaw

my favorite part is where she explains that she doesn’t want to say how much she paid for it, but then tries to play it off as a practical matter because prices for custom aquarium work are different in different places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mrfart posted:

Our hamster died very unexpected during the night. I posted here some time ago that she was very relax these days and sometimes remained still for a couple of minutes to be pet. She looked very relax and she didn’t seemed to have any health problems. She was a year and 4 months old and she came from a very nice guy who breeds hamsters correctly.

So we have no idea what happened. Like I said, she looked healthy. Do you guys think the fact that she sometimes sat very still for a few minutes was a sign? What else could have happened ? She ate and drank well, loved to burrow. I don’t know.

Never bit once! Always walk on your hand. Perfect bathroom etiquette. Gonna miss her.

I'm sorry about your loss.

A year and a half isn't an absolutely unreasonable amount of time for a hamster to expire. She was definitely well into adulthood. Not really sure how stuff like obesity or chronic illness, cancer, etc manifest in little animals like these, but it's reasonable to imagine that many hamsters are just going to have shorter lifespans than others same as any other animal.

It does appear like you kept her on hay which may have harbored some kind of respiratory illness, fungal issue, etc. It could be that she was struggling to breathe during the times that she was pausing frequently. Not sure how common or okay hay is as a bedding material in general or in your area, but it's definitely not something I'm used to. Keeping stuff like rabbits, I'd certainly feed them hay but not line an enclosure or hide box with it. I'm not bashing you for using hay (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong), it's just something I notice from your photo.

It's also quite possible that she was simply winding down and getting old

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tias posted:

What does it mean if a dwarf ham on occasion seems like it tries to dig out of it's cage? We keep coming up with new stuff to stimulate her, and she's largely content - so I'm mostly just worried if she wants to escape or if it's regular 'wow I saw a human' spazz.

How big’s the surface area of the cage?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Half our pigs love being scratched on the chin while the other half hate it. One would even politely push your finger away with his paw.

Pigs are weird.

are humans a monoculture? it’s funny that we simultaneously expect our pets to have unique personalities and preferences and also be mostly alike

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mrfart posted:

Weird how hamsters can have completely different characters. We have two brothers now. Rod is very calm, doesn’t run much and wants to sit on your hand while eating. He does, however, want to sleep by himself. Todd is very mouselike, he could charge a Tesla with the energy he creates in his wheels. He’s easy to pick up, but then can sit still for a second. He likes to go sleep next to his brother and seems oblivious when that guy tells him to go somewhere else.

You sure the “prefers to sleep alone/prefers to sleep with brother” stuff isn’t just normal dominance/pecking order behavior?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Having one of our pigs put down. He's 8+ years old, blind, going deaf, and can't move his legs anymore. I'm not sure if it's accurate to say that we're "putting him out of his misery" since he still eats and drinks (though we do have to practically shove it in his face to get him to realize it's there). I was under the impression that guinea pigs stop eating and drinking when they're not feeling well, so...maybe he doesn't realize that he should be miserable right now? idk

have you read his will? maybe he prefers hospice (I’m sorry for your loss).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Follow-up: We ended up not putting him down since it's a bitch to get in with the vet right now and we figured he'd go naturally soon anyway.

Little fucker's still alive, eating and drinking and taunting us. I don't even know.

I would watch the gently caress out of Guinea Pig Hospice (coming to Netflix in spring of 2022)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mrfart posted:

Sorry, I got that house with a cage I bought at a flee market.
It's nice because it has 2 extra self closing exits on the side that double as ramps to get on top.

Like I said before, the lady we got them from swore that she never had any problems keeping siblings together because they're pure Campbells (her words).
But it's better to err on the side of caution, I guess. I'll get the back-up cage out of the basement.

not to be “that guy” but I always err on the side of “breeders don’t know poo poo, they never know poo poo, and they’ll say and think up anything to 1) sell you an animal 2) make sense of all of the specific operating procedures and habits that they’ve picked up over the years and that ‘work’ by their specific standards and needs, 3) if something sounds too good to be true, species-wise or otherwise, it most certainly is”

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pasketti posted:

Kirby's stupid new obsession is Chanel perfume samples.
I don't let him bite or lick them obviously but he will chase me for the magazine so he can get a sniff.

His other obsession is licking any human toes on sight so I don't know what his deal is.

I love him to death.

sounds like you should keep him away from the internet

or put him all over the internet and build him a fandom

not really sure which

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
pig into human feet, so what

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Party Boat posted:

When we had the pigs we used to keep a few small metal weight plates in the fridge / freezer and distribute them through the cage as little heat sinks. Probably not very efficient but they seemed happy with them

I just keep my rabbits air-conditioned :smug:

(my ex and I used to keep the trio that we shared/she kept without it, and I will never never never make that mistake again. they're so much less clean in the heat)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mrfart posted:

So Rod had a little crust on his back last week. It got bigger, and then it came off and was red and we decided to go to the vet.
The vet removed the remaining crust and cleaned the wound and gave a shot against the itching. Then, to err on the safe side, she checked under the microscope.
Here is some free advice, if a vet ever asks you if you want to have a look in the microscope POLITELY DECLINE. it’s mites, he has some aggressive type of mites that were burrowing under his skin. He got another shot and will need another one in 10 days.
We threw out everything, cleaned everything. Froze the new stuff first. Etc…
But I can still see these little alien monsters when I close my eyes. I feel so bad for him.
I’m guessing it came in with the bedding? Or the food? Very hard to say for sure.

Oh no! Are they scabies? Can they get on you? My family once had a scabies scare when I was a teen (turns out my sister’s just really, really allergic to poison ivy) and it was miserable. We had to turn the entire house over and launder every textile possible

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

I am a loving idiot and bought detergent two months ago, but it was fabric softener in a similar looking green jug as what I normally buy. So for the past two months their blankets have gotten no detergent at all, and like a giant helping of fabric softener. I didn’t notice much until recently, when visible piss stains were showing up everywhere. I thought the blankets may have just been getting old, and that’s when I noticed my mistake :negative:

Their undercarriage and back legs were brown from sitting in presumably a mix of poop and piddle that didn’t wick through the blanket, so I gave them a rinse off in the sink. I didn’t use shampoo, just water to knock the worst of it off them. They’re still a bit stained under there, but I’m not 100% sure if that warrants a full-on bath.

Their feet don’t have any sores from what I can see, but their back feet are bright red so I’m going to call the vet this week to be safe since these are my first pigs and I know bumblefoot doesn’t gently caress around. Until then I heard soaking their feet in epsom salt can help. Any truth to that?

I feel so crappy.

I don’t understand, why would detergent be the determining factor in whether or not your pigs were sitting in their pooled up waste?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Rodents don't live long enough.

rabbits are like guinea pigs that live 1.5-2x as long

I’m terribly sorry for your loss and also come join us in the dark side (it’s dark because rabbits like to be underground)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

Is there a way to lessen a pig loitering at their hay? One of my boys loves nothing more than to park his rump right next to the hay bin and sleep or chill right on top of the pile of hay they grab but don’t eat. This makes it a gross mix of hay, piss, and feces by the time I get home from work.

Do they have a dig box/soft place to sleep?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

Their hay is attached to the side, they just love to take a piece, eat maybe half, drop it, and repeat.

I use blankets to line their cage; only one of them does this. It’s weird.

blankets lining the cage is different from having a litter box or hide box with material to snuggle and nest into

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Obnoxipus posted:

my fiancee and i recently got a syrian hamster; she's ridiculously cute and we have one of those big enclosures with ramps and lots of toys, places to hide, etc., but she does keep chewing on the bars. we bring her out of the enclosure to play in a big playpen, and she seems to have a nice time with that, but we're worried about the bar-chewing. she definitely has lots of sticks and wooden toys and stuff that she can (and will) chew on, but she'll keep going to her favorite corner of the cage and just gnawing the bars. is there something that we should be doing? how do we tell if she's actually super stressed and trying to let us know?

this is peach, by the way. a very good ham

have you considered a naturalistic bioactive hamster setup? its probably fine

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Another foster in the cat rescue asked if anyone wanted hamsters/could take two. I said sure, I got the room. And was given two dwarf hamsters (they are rather stressed right now so no pics) and two insane metal cages with all the plastic tubes that arch all over the place. I was hoping to put one in Butter's old cage, but the bars are wide enough either can slip through.

naturalistic 👏🏼 bioactive 👏🏼 hamster 👏🏼 build 👏🏼

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mrfart posted:

They’re advising people not to kiss their rodents. Do people do that?

have you met a child?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

because Black Forest Ham

:swoon:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Yeah it kinda sucks but I think sometimes it is completely unavoidable. I've had the new pig for 3 months now and I didn't notice any signs of lice for the first two months I had her. I'm sure the foster I got her from had no clue either.

I would not use diatomaceous earth, you'd have to dust their whole body and it would likely be not great to have them breathe it in, get it in their eyes/ears, etc. The day I noticed the lice I went out and got some anti-fungal shampoo that is safe for pigs, Nizoral, and gave everyone a bath. This wasn't going to kill the eggs but it purportedly is somewhat effective at eliminating the adult lice. Everyone seemed to be much less itchy for a good 2-3 days after the bath so I think it did some good.

Once I finally got ahold of the vet she recommended sevin dust which is a toxic insecticide that I wouldn't even put on vegetable plants, let alone live animals. She recommended using that over Ivermectin, and that I should make sure to apply it "in a well ventilated area". No loving poo poo. I am still absolutely mystified by this 'recommendation' and am actually going to see a new vet tomorrow to try and start building a relationship with a new clinic because :wtf:.

It turns out there was a formulation of Ivermectin that Tractor Supply had in stock locally that I just did not see at first. For reference it was Durvet Ivermectin Pour-On, 250 mL and the dosage instructions can be found here: http://www.guinealynx.info/topical_ivermectin_pour-on.html. We've gone through 3 rounds of treatments so far, the adult lice were dead within 2 days of the first treatment. Ivermectin is safe and has been proven effective on animals for decades now, normally it is very easy to find at a farm supply type store.

Yeah do not dust DE on any animal with lungs or eyes or mucosae, like wtf lol

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

it actually makes perfect sense that reducing/eliminating sensitivity to chemical social signaling in social hamsters would destroy normal sex-specific social interactions/sex-specific behavior and also make individuals super aggressive as a result.

Pretty much the same thing happens in mice when you knockout/knockdown VNO signaling and make them unable to process pheromones/scent markers/etc.

It’s a pretty formative/famous line of ongoing work in that area of neurogenetics, I’m surprised it seemingly wasn’t on their radar here.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is how we inevitably get Rage Zombies.... :ohdear:

Furty-eight Days Later

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

This was also the gooniest hamster I've ever seen, his personal hygiene was really bad. Peed everywhere, where they normally pick a safe spot in the corner. Pooped everywhere.
Constantly had gunk build up on his nails. One time irritated skin causing his hair to fall out.
A month or 2 ago he even had a giant zit on his stomach where we worried it was a growth. The vet cleaned that up for the little guy.
Also the noisiest hamster I ever heard. Constantly making clicking noises and the occasional squeak. (which was ironically his name)

sounds like he had problems

sure there’s a degree of individual personality variation among any mammal, and just like with humans some hamsters are gonna be cleaner/more social than others, etc, but big disruptions or deviations in major areas like grooming or bathrooming behavior are good evidence of underlying issues

like if an animal that should be fastidiously grooming itself isn’t, or avoids certain areas or doesn’t seem to be able to reach them, it can be a sign of neurological or pain or mobility issues and so-forth. Likewise, if an animal that should have well-defined bathroom habits is pissing and making GBS threads everywhere then it can be a sign of severe stress, or arthritis, or of incontinence issues stemming from a spinal/nerve injury (usually from being improperly handled by a human) or illness/tumor/parasite.

Incontinence due to injury is actually super common in small mammals, particularly if they’re kept by kids, and usually goes undiagnosed and treated as a normal part of an animal’s personality or expected behavior. Speaking from rabbit world, a lot of rabbits that get labeled “impossible to litter train” and “territorial” are actually handicapped.

I’m not saying this to blame/shame you or your family, or accuse anybody of improperly caring for your hamster or mistreating him. If anything it sounds like you went way above and beyond, getting him veterinary care which is something that many people would balk at for an animal as cheap and short-lived as a hamster.

Just something you want to be mindful of for the future. An animal that’s ungroomed or noticeably dirty is often an animal that’s unwell.

my condolences

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pasketti posted:

My pigs trio just had their annual checkup today, all are obnoxiously healthy. Except Ofelia had a treasure trove of disgusting ear wax that definitely wasn't there a week ago when I was playing with her ears. So now I gotta keep an eye on her ear goo on top of cleaning out Russer's poopy anal sack every few days :toot: Vet said there's no sign of ear infection or anything, just looked like gross ear butter.

Also the girls stopped with the weird bullying of Russer like the day after I made that post so it's all good.

Just finished hand sewing a bed/cage liner that I was working on for almost 2 weeks and Ofelia immediately christened it with a dozen turds :itwaspoo:

wtf is an anal sack

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

poo poo, I'm sorry. I still miss Black Forest Ham.

I don’t know that I could bear giving a being with such a short natural lifespan as a hamster such a clever name.

I’d end up with like a line of them, Black Forest Ham the First, Black Forest Ham II, Black Forest Ham the Third, etc

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

newts posted:

The local shelter (well, next city over) has a price listed for a guinea pig neuter on their website, but they have a lot of poor customer reviews for their other animal neuters. I feel weird calling them interrogating some poor receptionist about their vets’ experience with small mammals.

I’ll try the list of recs, thanks!

where do you live? In MA we have an SPCA wildlife center/sanctuary that also has an “odd pet vet” office that deals with exotics and livestock animals, and at rates way cheaper than exotics/small animal vets in the big city.

It’s a bit of a drive but so far I’ve gotten four male rabbits neutered there (they don’t do spaying for small animals) and they do really excellent work for like a third of what it would cost me to do it elsewhere (like $300 vs $900, and they also used to do “bundle” pricing if you were bringing more than one in at once)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

newts posted:

I live in Denver. If anyone knows someone…

Got quotes from our local ‘exotic’ vets who seem to actually have real experience in small mammal surgery: around $500 :ohdear:

The Boulder Humane Society has a price of $250 on their website for guinea pig and rabbit neutering. Reviews talking about sloppy neutering and spaying for dogs and cats. I mean, it’s the budget option, I get it. But our little guy… :ohdear:

$500 isn’t terrible vs $250, but I don’t know your finances

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Treecko posted:

So...this is how you sex a guinea pig.

Hold them in one hand, with the other place a thumb on thier belly, gently press towards their genitals.

If it's a male, the penis should pop out. You can tell this at a pretty young age.

This also works for rabbits.

Thank you high-school agriculture class, not sure how your vet missed it.

It’s difficult to sex rabbits that way without risking more serious injury to their gi tract, or especially their lower spine.

once they start approaching the right age it’ll pop out plenty on its own, and also their little bozacks will descend and fill out. The issue is that they’re often sold/distributed/adopted/etc right before they hit that age

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

newts posted:

I’m happy to report that our guinea guy was neutered about 12 days ago and is doing well. The incest babies were born and are also doing well. They’ll go to the no-kill shelter when they’re weaned at 21 days or so.

https://imgur.com/a/DsBjcNZ

do we need to be worried about the little Targaryens?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Awesome news, glad he's doing ok. Those babies are sure drat cute too.

yes, too bad they’re abominations in the eyes of the Lord

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

newts posted:

They are :3: They’re all curly like their dad/uncle. A couple of them have extra toes, too.

hell yes :unsmigghh:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You should give them all rich and noble (ie inbred) names like Lord Charles Squeakson Esq.

The Hapspig Dynasty

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Treecko posted:

It's kind of gross, nobody wants to be known as the rodent dick toucher.

But it's a fact of thier lives and I know about it, it's important information.

never spent much time in farm country, have you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Treecko posted:

I've castrated lambs and docked tails, and been armpit deep inside a cow.

So...yes.

oh lol

you ever watch a chicken sexer at work? some ppl are rly good at palpating animal junk