Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Hello PI!

I have some questions, I'm thinking of getting a Chinchilla. This is more of a long term thought as it won't be at least for a few months to a year, I want to read and know as much as I can before committing.

I love rats but I'm getting tired of their short life spans and the heart break and vet bills that come with that. I have been reading that Chinchillas can live for up to 20 years.

Are two better than 1 and how social are they? I like to keep my rat on my shoulder most of the day, he loves playing with my hair, ears and sleeping in the hood of my jacket, mostly sleeping (this is pretty much what all of my male rats favorite things are). Will a Chin try and jump off of my shoulder if walking around with him? Or will they be happier in one of those ball things that hamsters have to run around the floor?

This is the current cage that I have for my rat. Will it be suitable for a Chinchilla? This is the best fitting one for my apartment.
http://www.petco.com/product/106171/Petco-Rat-Manor-Habitat.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch
It's covered in sticky tile so that it doesn't hurt his feet and cleaned 2x weekly.

I also have this, it's a bit old but it is intact. But I don't like it because the base and shelves plastic, the ladders are dangling from strands of plastic at the moment.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753352&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo

The current bedding that I use is Carefresh Natural. Is that okay or is there something much better?

Also what I have been reading is recommending pellets as a diet. That doesn't seem right to me. Should I use that and suppliment with other foods. Or use something entirely different.

I do have 3 chewproof waterbottles, a wheel and I home make most of my toys for my rat (rope ladders, bridges, hammocks, etc...)

How is poop training? I have always trained my rats to poop in certain spots (peeing that's a whole different story, it just happens when it happens). Can that be done with a Chinchilla? No big deal either way.

Ratwise, I prefer males over females as they are more chill and relaxed. Is that the same with Chins or should I consider a female?

Fake edit: I won't be getting a Chinchilla until the unavoidable happens with my current 4 year old rat buddy.

Or should I just suck it up and get more rats for my personal personality preferences?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Thanks for all the info!

I think I'll wait until I move into a bigger place and can give a Chinchilla his own room.

I do have this cage from craigslist a while back but it absolutely will not fit anywhere in my current apartment.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12793957&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo

The only room I can let him run around in on his own is the bathroom right now (2 cats that I would worry about anywhere else.).

For now I think I'll take a break from rats after this one and try to find something more suitable for my needs.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Hello PI,

I just started working at a Mom and Pop type pet shop (mostly stocking shelves, cleaning cages, etc...). They have a gerbil in their back room that they can't sell because he is too old, I feel sorry for him because he is by himself and doesn't get any attention other than cage cleanings and feedings. I'm thinking about offering to take him since it won't cost me much as I can pretty much feed the same food, treats, wooden chew toys as my rats.

But....big BUT, the cage I have is rather on the small side. So I'm asking what would be better.

1)Leaving him in a rather large cage alone getting almost no attention. or
2)Taking him home and putting him in a small cage and getting quite a bit more attention.

I could afford to attach some sort of minor tube extension to the cage and I have a ball laying around somewhere so he can run around on the floor (no idea where I got it).

(The reason I have the cage is because when I moved from one city to another it was for transporting my rats in the car with me.)

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 14, 2013

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately my only option is leaving him then. I don't have the room for much else even if I could get it free on craigslist. I'll just continue to use the tiny cage to hold my rats when cleaning their main cage/moving.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
So people are dicks. Some people left Gerbils in a box outside of my work in the cold. I went home with them today. They are the most adorable things and they are very young. 2 females, I named them Artemis and Athena. I put them in a spare travel cage for the moment. I will definitaly be looking for something larger. I just want to know if what I have is okay for a couple days.

I have something like this

I also purchased this

I also got them a plastic wheel that will be safe for their tails and a wooden house.

Right now they are on the same diet as my rats. A mixture of Harlan Teklad 2014 and Linda's premium organic rodent mix. Do they need higher protein?

For bedding I am using a mixture of Carefresh, Aspen and Orchard grass hay.

I will probably buy them a larger cage tomorrow. I just want opinions on how well I am treating them for Gerbils that were left at my works doorstep.

Bonus picture!

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I know rats don't do well in aquariums because of the ammonia that can build up in it from urine. Is it different with gerbils? I will look at a few things today for them and probably purchase something better for them tomorrow than what they are in now.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Thanks so much for the information guys. I appreciate it. How would a 10 gallon do with one of those tank cage topper things?

Oh yeah I also like to feed my rats small pieces of green bell peppers, carrots, various different greens too. Are there anythings that Gerbils absolutely should not have. I know what is bad for rats and won't feed those things to them but is there anything in particular amongst fruits and veggies that are okay for rats but not Gerbils?

As special treats, I like to feed a single roasted unsalted peanut, smaller pieces of yogurt drops, dried whole wheat pasta, etc... around once a week or so. Although since they are new they've already had 3 and I've been spoiling them.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 21, 2013

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Yeah the Harlan Teklad 2014 are hard blocks so they should be good for their teeth. The organic mix I feed, is a suppliment so there are only a few seeds mixed in here and there. They came with some Kaytee crap that I just give them a tiny bit of it just to use it up. I gave them a ton more Orchard Grass today to burrow in and stuff and they seem to enjoy it very much.

I think I'll get the 10 gallon with the tank topper. It's twice the size that my work would give them as abandoned Gerbils. I know it's not ideal but it's better than what they will get at work and they receive much more attention. I will look for someone to adopt them that can maybe put them in something larger and more suited for them...but I honestly think I'm stuck with them. They are adorable though. My husband will be taking care of them tomorrow and letting them run around in their ball and stuff.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
-95% of the Sunflower seeds are in the Kaytee stuff they came with and I am only mixing in very small amounts of it with the good foods just to use it up. They might get 1 or 2 a day for a week.

-I do have a tiny brush and pan designed for small cages and a cat litter scoop, that is only used for cage cleanings.

-Yep they already have 2 toilet paper tubes that I cut so they can't get stuck.

-The tissue is a great idea they will get some in a couple day when I next clean.

-They got some fresh food today and it was a little bit of carrot and green pepper. They loved it, I'll take note apples should be skinless.

-Already "borrowed" some of my works store use chinchilla dust bath :black101:

-So far they are already crawling onto my hand when I put it in the cage, soon they may let me remove them, hopefully.

-I will move them up from what they are in now to a 10 gallon that I can borrow from work until I can get a craigslist 20 gallon, since that seems to be the most recommended. Then I think they will be all set. I already don't want to give them up :swoon:

Edit:
I just cleaned their cage and they are all like :wth: and going crazy. I put tissues in it as recommended and they love it. After New years I will have a 10 gallon and then I will be upgrading to a 20 shortly after. I love these little girls!

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 26, 2013

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Now that the holiday's are over and there aren't so many animals boarding, my work is going to give me something like this (Their last 10 gallon broke.)to use until I can get my hands on a 20 gallon aquarium for them. They will be getting twice the amount of space until then. From what you guys have been telling me it's still not ideal, but it's better that freezing in a box outside.

Right now, about half their cage is completely filled with orchard grass, tissue, etc... and they are having fun digging around, I don't mind bits of stuff flying around all over the place for the moment.

I gave them a dust bath today and it was so adorable! :swoon: Is it okay to do it more than once a month? I want to do it every day because it's so cute!

I also bought a vitamin supplement for them. Is this okay to use too?

I did forget to buy an apple at the grocery store today so they will have to wait a few days for it (-15 degrees F with -45 windchill tomorrow), and I am not leaving the house for anything tomorrow.

I'll take pictures when they are in their new larger cage!

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Awesome, yes that is what they have been doing, just kicking the dust around when they finish. I will always make sure the bathing house thing is clean and poop/pee free. But it's good to know I can just sift out the poop rather than toss out all of the dust.

They are getting really nutritional food but if it's no big deal, I'll just keep giving them the vitamin supplement just to make sure.

Edit: I figured it out. I have a 29 gallon aquarium that isn't being used for anything. I'll put hem in that once I clean it out and get rid of all of the fish poop, algae, etc... and stuff.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 6, 2014

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Here is their new set up in my 29 gallon aquarium. I just need to figure out how to attach the water bottle and get a new wheel, because the last wheel attached to the side of the cage. I'm thinking with 29 gallons I can get them another friend once it it completely set up?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

The most popular option is to attach a plastic locking water bottle to the inside of the glass. These have a small lock which you attach to the wall with a piece of adhesive foamboard. They're quick and easy to use, but if your gerbils are anything like mine, it's only a matter of time before they decide that chewing a hole through the plastic on the bottle is faster than trying to drink from the spout. You can get these at pretty much any pet store.

What I ultimately did, and what I think works a lot better, is used a glass-rated epoxy resin to glue a ceramic magnet to the inside of the aquarium (while the gerbils were out, it's non-toxic once set, but has some strong fumes until then), and glued another ceramic magnet to the back of a large glass water bottle designed for traditional cages. It's easy to detach and the gerbils can't chew through it. The only real downside to this method is that most resins set so strongly that you will probably never be able to remove the magnets from the glass if you ever want to reposition them. You can get the bottle at any pet store and the parts at any hardware store, usually in the fixtures/hardware section.

Thanks for the advice! I really didn't want any more pets and wanted to use my aquarium for fish, but... Oh well, Surprise, I have Gerbils now. I'll look into what you told me thank you.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Fewd posted:

Don't worry too much about the wheel though, it's not that high on the short list of gerb entertainment. They'll just eat it. Getting them more wood and cardboard is always good as long as they're clean and safe. Prime purpose of a small wooden hut for gerbs is that they can eat it. They will eat it. You just need to check that there are no nasty glues, nails or rivets in there. Big hunks of branches are nice too as long as they're clean. I've only gotten my branches and such from pet shops but ones straight from nature would work too I guess. You'd probably need to peel the bark off, wash it and shove it in oven for a while first.

I'd skip another gerb unless one of those gets sick or something and dies prematurely. Two will get along fine and all. And it's never assured that the new one will get along with both the old ones so it can cause you extra hassle for not much gain.

Awesome thanks for the great info.

Right now they have this house (gerbil sized). I'm not fond of the dyes on it, but just to get them started, it was cheap, in 3 days my jobs at cost discount starts and I will get them something better. (Edit: Eek! 2 reviews on dead guinea pigs with this thing. I'm getting rid of it now and giving them an empty tissue box for the moment.)

They also have this toy. Same problem as above with the dyes but I will get better in a couple days.

They also get like one of these or these every other day because they seem to love them.

They also have a giant paper towel tube, that will be getting replaced tomorrow.

As far as branches go, what about those things made for birds to stand on? Would that work to just toss into the aquarium? I wouldn't feel comfortable giving them anything from outside of a pet shop.

Okay, I will skip another gerbil for now. Artemis and Athena are cute enough as it is.

Edit 2: By the way they seem to despise the sunflower seeds as treats, but they grab pumpkin seeds out of my hand when I give them to them as a treat. The unsalted stuff from the mixes.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jan 9, 2014

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
If my phone weren't such poo poo, I'd take a video. I got the gerbils a wheel, Athena took to it right away but Artemis doesn't quite use it right. Artemis stands outside of the wheel, faces it parallel and just constantly spins it with her front paws. I don't really know what to say except for this :suspense: and this :iia:

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
They're hiding in the grass! So cute! Although I did buy a cover too small for my aquarium, a new hopefully sized correctly will come in the mail tomorrow.

Edit: I got my screen cover today, so I gave them more hay and stuff without having to worry about them jumping out. They seem to love it!

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 13, 2014

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
3 posts in a row, I know and I'm sorry. How does this look?

Not much bedding but I just cleaned it, more bedding gets added over time (aspen first, orchard grass second and then carefresh) and they get only a little bit when I clean, this way it's always a little different for them.

Edit: That is Athena on the left side.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
So I broke down and bought 5 lbs of Bluegrass from KMS Hayloft, my new gerbils really seem to like Orchard Grass for nesting (my rats hate it and push it out of the cage.). I heard they have really good hays and want reassurement that I'm not a crazy animal nutbag for buying 5 lbs all at once just for 2 gerbils. Of course I don't think I am and are just treating them well, but still it feels like I'm crazy.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

transfatphobic posted:

I bought 40 lbs for 2 guinea pigs.

Yeah but those things actually eat it by the poo poo ton. I hope it's as good as everything I've read and gets here quickly.

The store was out of Oxbows orchard grass (which I really like) but settled for Kaytee's Timothy hay and man is it horrible, its soft enough but so much of it is yellow or brown. Fortunately the gerbils don't really eat it, they just shred it to bits and nest with it.

Edit: For reference, my Gerbils love this damned thing and it lasts so much longer than toilet paper tubes...they still get toilet paper tubes though.

I don't know what happened but I already love these girls more than my rats...and I LOVE rats and have had so many over the years. They are just so active and cute.

Edit 2: Can't help but take pictures, I clean out all the bedding once a week...usually on Wednesdays, but sometimes a few days later. (Artemis on the left this time.)

Last edit: Even though the Kaytee hay is super crappy, they were having so much fun after I cleaned things, I had to give them more and they are going crazy over it!

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 20, 2014

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Fewd posted:

:unsmith:

That's cool in my book. You're a good person.

Daww, thank you. I've been reading so much about these girls and how to care for them since I surprise got them. Last thing I want to do is take bad care of them. It's nice to know that I'm not horrible with them.

By the way, one of them still despises Sunflower seeds, but still goes crazy for pumpkin seeds. I need to start easing it on the treats though, been giving them way too many lately.

Edit:
Even though it was a month ago I started reading the rest of the thread and this always worked for me with introducing male rats (maybe it might work with other small mammals?):
Use Vanilla extract and put it on their butts, stomachs and behind their ears. Leave them alone for 15 minutes to get them use to the scent and then introduce them on neutral territory (ie. bath tub.)

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 21, 2014

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

That's awesome! Since I keep my tank on my desk, and since I'm very allergic to pretty much any hay or grass, I'll do kind of the same thing with bits of cardboard. I'll take a big box and slice it into 1x8" strips with a box cutter and sprinkle those around everywhere. They drop everything they're doing and just sit there and chew the strips up and mix it with their bedding. By the time they're done with it, I give them a fresh batch and by the time they're ready for a cage cleaning, they've effectively tripled the volume of their bedding.

If I can find smooth cardboard I like to use that because one of them goes loving bananas for it. She'll take big flat pieces to the corner of the cage and rub her back all over it for hours. It's very adorable.

That's why I normally only give them little bits at a time! But they were so excited I had to give them lots! I remeasured my tank and it's actually 40 gallons instead of 29 and won't fit onto a desk. But yes they have already chewed up and spread out the hay to their liking, it's adorable but I can never see them and only hear them with all this hay! Ha Ha!

Boxes are a nice idea too since they are free...

Edit:
I just gave them a glass vase (opening is way bigger than they are), are these okay? It's fun to watch them run into it and just start digging for no reason.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 21, 2014

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Fewd posted:

Yes. Empty toiler paper rolls? Toss them in. Empty egg cartons? Toss them in. Empty anything-with-clean-cardboard? Toss them in.

Grats on your new waste disposal unit.

HAHA! I never thought of it as a wast disposal unit, I guess we've already been doing it for years because of how many tissue boxes we've given our rats. We've been giving the gerbils some random 6 pack boxes but not much because well we're new to owning them, from now on they'll get the crap ton of Cheeze-it and Triscut boxes we go through that are too small for the rats.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Update on my surprise gerbil situation :iia:

I have been giving them more boxes AND a glass flower vase...seriously the glass vase was the best idea I've ever had. They run in it kinda like a wheel and don't actually go anywhere it's ridiculously funny to watch!

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

I feel terrible, I was holding Jumbo, one of the litter I raised, and when I was done I accidentally put him into Runt's cage because I was distracted talking to my roommate and I had both their cage tops open to feed them, and didn't notice until some of the worst noises I've heard started coming from Runt's cage because Jumbo had ambushed Runt while he was sleeping and they got into a furball. I know you're not supposed to intervene in a furball, but I had to because Jumbo was going to kill Runt, and he got me real good on the thumb and I was bleeding quite a lot and soaked half a paper towel in blood, I put some antibiotics on it then double-bandaged it, that should be good, right? I'm not sure what infections could be gotten from a deep hamster bite(it probably came close to hitting the bone, it's pretty deep). I'm holding Runt right now to check him out and he seems fine, he's not limping or anything but he's got a few bloody bite marks on his underside, though it doesn't seem to be anything major. Jumbo seems to have avoided injury which isn't surprising since he was the ambusher and twice Runt's size. I did learn something though, apparently male hamsters can retract their gigantic gonads into their body as a protective measure since both of them suddenly didn't have these massive things hanging under them anymore, they had pulled them in for safety. Man I feel horrible, this is the first time this has happened in almost 20 years of owning hamsters. :smith:

On a lighter note, a friend of a friend's kids moved back to brazil with their father, and they left their hamster behind. Their mother said if she can't find an owner for it she's going to feed it to her snake, so I'm going to take it since I've got a spare cage. His name is Max Maxington, named by the kids, of course. :3:

My room is turning into a hamster menagerie.

Don't feel bad, everyone makes a mistake once in a while, no one is perfect. Just glad you realized it. By the way I call it ''The squeaks of death'' when rodents attack each other, I dunno it makes it sound not as horrible as it is when it happens, or maybe it makes it sound more horrible...

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Zetsubou posted:

Well I recently had to break up a gerbil fight not long ago and got bit on the edge of my thumb pretty deep and i'm not dead so you'll probably be fine. I put some sort of anti-infection cream on it and bandaged it up so all should be good. Unless ham's have some sort of secret venom/bacteria that gerbs don't have then in that case maybe get a doctor to look at it.

Rodents will be rodents some time, even though it’s a rat and not a gerbil or hamster... I gave my rats fresh green bell peppers and forgot to wash my hands afterwards and my fingers smelled tasty. Triple antibiotic ointment and lots of bandages is making it heal fine. But the problem is I can’t touch them with a bandage on...rats love bandages for some reason.

Edit Oh my loving god! KMS hayloft is awesome. My whole house smells like freshly cut grass and smells so nice and I have no idea how they fit 5lbs of hay into such a tiny box, but they did. My gerbils and rats love burrowing into the bluegrass (especially if I sneak in seeds for them to find), and my cats like eating up the stray bits that fall to the ground once in a while.

Seriously it's the softest and moistest grass/hay that I've ever seen. I'm never going back to Oxbow (unless I have to)!

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 1, 2014

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Apparently gerbils can be litter trained? I think I did it without trying. I found a slab of rock that I use to use as a decoration for my fish (no sharp points, bleached and sanitized to make sure) and they poop and pee on it, not all over it, just in one spot and near it, no where else on it. I'm going to clean the rock tomorrow and see if they keep going in the same spot.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Pendergast posted:

My gerbils keep taking all their bedding from one part of the cage and piling it up on the other side of their cage. Not just a little, but the entire left half of the cage has several inches of bedding, while the other side is bare. I know they like building nests but I haven't seen them do this before. Granted I've only had them a few weeks.

Anyone got any tips for a nervous handler? They are fairly tame. I can stroke them and they don't run and one will come over and sniff my hand. I'm a pussy though and always take it away. They have nibbled. I'm just worried about them biting. I thought about a glove but they doesn't get them use to your hand really.

From a new gerbil owner to another "Gerbils be gerbils.". I am constantaly finding that my gerbils like to pile stuff on the right side of their tank.

Instead of just bedding try giving them a poo poo ton of orchard grass/bluegrass hay...seriously mine freaking love digging and burying themselves into it.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 5, 2014

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Niemat posted:

Okay, glad to know I'm not crazy! Thanks!! The bag was marketing itself for use in cages, and my uncle seemed pretty certain this was the way to go, so I was starting to wonder if I was remembering things incorrectly.

I was actually thinking about using them in my garden, so thanks for the tip! :)

If he wants to buy wood chips for you again tell him to buy Aspen shavings. It's a hard wood and doesn't contain the same oils as cedar or pine. From what I have found it is not as good as carefresh but it is cheap and you can use a ton of it for them to burrow into.

I personally like the giant bag of aspen from PETCO. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006K0FX38/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1394271260&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Whenever I petsit for someone I always let them know to have lots of extra food on hand. Figure it best to over feed for a few days rather than let them starve or be miserable. That is unless they give me specific detailed instructions, which they usually don't.

(edit: Unless it's aquatic, then I underfeed a little.)

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 3, 2014

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

dj_clawson posted:

I had lots and lots of gerbils as a kid, but there are some downsides. They don't have much in the way of personalities, they can't really be trained, they can't be held, and they need to be in pairs at the very least. I'm sure you can find someone on Youtube who managed to train their gerbil, but it's not common. If you decide on a pair of gerbils, be super ULTRA sure the pet store is not selling you a male and female pair, or you will be doomed to litters of babies every month.

There are always exceptions to the norm, my gerbils love to be held and played with and love running all over me on the couch. One of my friends gerbils hangs out on her shoulder as if it were a rat.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Traveling halfway across the country with Gerbils is so much easier than the cats. It took 2 days and we even gave the cats tranquilizers from the vet. The one meowed and screamed the whole time but the gerbils just slept the whole time in their little critter keeper thing. I gave them plenty of chew tos and stuffed everything I could into it so the wouldn't chew through the plastic cage. I had 4 back up carries in case they decided they wanted out. but didn't need them because they just slept through the whole trip.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Thanks! For now the Petsmart near me still has pellets and hay, they just have jack poo poo in the way of anything else like chews and cage accessories and stuff like that.

KMShaloft is great I love her Bluegrass hay. and so do m gerbils and cats.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Aww my gerbils are gone :-( Athena went suddenly, but proably peacfully as she was in her favorite sleeping spot. And Artemis seemed to get so depressed that she wasn't drinking. She was still eating little bits so I would feed her little bits of fruit to keep her hydrated and tried to give her as much attention as possible (the only petstore I could feasibly get to to get her a companion was out.) and she went today too. They were probably near 3 years old anyway and at the end of their lifespan anyway (found abandoned in a box so didn't know their exact age.) but blah.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Artificer posted:

gently caress that sucks. :(

Yeah it popped onto my memories to share on facebook yesterday too that exactly 2 years ago (yesterday) that I first put them into my giant aquarium. They had a good run in Chicago (after I took them in) and a good move to Philly with us and living for 5ish months here. I'm going to try to get a couple more soon because I grew to adore them.......plus I have a years worth of unopened Aspen and a lot of food that I just bought and a bunch of unused chew toys too. So the only cost will be basically the gerbils themselves. I think I'll try boys this time to see how different males are from females, but will take females if that's all I can get. It was so cute whenever I came near they would start jumping around because they knew they were either getting attention, toys or treats.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I am so sorry minema! She was so young but it seems like you did the best you could do and that is all anyone can ask for bad genetics suck. It was definitely too soon for her :( She looks adorable in her little hat.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Because my mothers 1 year death is happening on Easter I got a little buddy to cheer me up. He's so cute (at least I think it's a he.). I named him Apollo.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Oh my gosh he's a little mop for the floor!

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Today was the first day it didn't make what I call the "squeaks of I will kill you!" He ran around on my hands and just dug with his paws a bit after several times of me doing this. I gave him a little piece of carrot to reward him for being nice.

I named him Apollo.

Am I doing this right I have never owned a hamster, but I think it is going well so far.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 31, 2016

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Well petsmart said he was a russian but didn't say dwarf..... But I did hand him to my spouse when I had to go to the bathroom and he got bit hahah. But he was very good today, i brought him outside and all the children and adults were terrified of him (The whole "IT LOOKS LIKE A RAT" thing ........even though rats are great pets too.)

Edit: I will may or may not use carefresh because when I had rats they would always get mites from them........and since the pathmark by me was closing I got a crap ton of Aspen and Hamster/Gerbil food to last a year. Although do Hamsters like hay like gerbils do? I will get him some hay from KMS if so.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Yeah my husband introduced me to rodents as pets, the first time I was over his house when we were dating I saw rats in a cage in his apartment. I was more intrigued than anything, they were so frigggin social and I fell in love and we have had several since then. The gerbils I found in a box in the middle of a very cold winter infront of the pet shop that I worked at at the time. Now I got a hamster. I can't imagine living without some kind of rodent anymore since I met my spouse. And now since we own our house we don't have to hide them from landlords anymore.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 1, 2016