Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

imbrium posted:

Absolutely - I figure this is the most likely outcome. Though I can hope.

I think we'd probably avoid mice/rats as my daughter more wants something fluffy. I knew someone who had a rat once and it was pretty drat cool, but not my daughter's style.

Will definitely do a lot of research into whatever we get because, well, it's a living thing that we're going to be responsible for for a number of years.

Not a rodent owner myself, but guinea pigs can be quite fluffy and I think they're diurnal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Party Boat posted:

My limited experience with pigs is that they get quite attached to what they consider home, so the regular trips away might be a bit much for them. Ours got grumpy with their cage being shifted to the kitchen while we redecorated the living room.

Apologies for my limited information. I find rodents in general and guinea pigs in particular to be adorable, but I don't think I'd gracefully handle pets with such short life expectancies.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain Invictus posted:

It can be hard, true, but after a while you just come to accept that they intrinsically don't live very long and so treasure the time you do have with each.

True, but I just don't think rodents are for me. It's something I've thought about and decided against. As it is, the rodent and rat threads provide a steady supply of cute pictures.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've got a few questions for rodent owners in this thread, one of them's kind of odd. I live alone in a small apartment, and am considering paying the deposit to keep a pet when my lease comes up for renewal. I've never kept rodents before, but I'm considering the possibility and trying to do some research.

From the preliminary research I've done, guinea pigs despite being utterly adorable sound very high-maintenance, especially considering that I have a 10 hour work day once a week. Hamsters are also tentatively out given that they're nocturnal and I mainly work nights and come home to shower and collapse into bed when I get home. As such, I've mostly been considering gerbils and my questions mainly concern them.

I've always found rodents adorable, but the short lifespans bother me. Is it any easier dealing with the death of a pet when you know they're so short-lived?

Are they as low-maintenance as they seem? I'm accustomed to needing to regularly feed a cat and take care of their litter, but I don't know how much regular care gerbils need and how regularly their cage needs to be cleaned. My job does provide no shortage of cardboard boxes to take home.

How social with humans are they? I've never been clear whether gerbils are best left in their refitted aquarium except for rolly balls when cleaning their cage, particularly if I follow the OP's recommendation and get at least two. My apartment complex is... not the best secured in the world and I have regular problems with bugs and lizards getting in, which also gives me concern about a gerbil getting out if I remove one from its cage briefly.

For vet care, would I need to find a specialized vet for gerbils like the OP recommends for guinea pigs, or would a general vet likely be suitable?

I'm not settled on gerbils as a potential pet, but I would like to make an informed decision one way or the other.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

dj_clawson posted:

I had lots and lots of gerbils as a kid, but there are some downsides. They don't have much in the way of personalities, they can't really be trained, they can't be held, and they need to be in pairs at the very least. I'm sure you can find someone on Youtube who managed to train their gerbil, but it's not common. If you decide on a pair of gerbils, be super ULTRA sure the pet store is not selling you a male and female pair, or you will be doomed to litters of babies every month.

Hamsters are solitary, live about the same length of time (2-3 years), but have distinct personalities, and can be trained to be picked up and held, depending on how much effort you put in (having a Syrian hamster helps). If you give them a bunch of toys to chew on and a hamster wheel you can more or less ignore them if you are busy, but that's also true of gerbils. The more stimulation you provide them personally, the more they will like you.

Noted, and on the male and female thing that was a concern of mine. If I did decide on gerbils or hamsters, my first thought was to see if there were rescues for that sort of thing or perhaps reputable breeders. Coming from a family fond of cats, I do not have a particularly high opinion of pet stores when it comes to knowing their animals.

The can't be held thing... that's something I'm debating, over what I want out of a pet - whether I want a pet I can hold and cuddle with or just a pet amusing to watch. My apartment is tiny and I spend most of my time at a big computer desk that doubles as my main table for eating and filling out paperwork. My initial thought for gerbils/hamsters was to put the aquarium/cage in the gap between the desk and window wall to watch them - I usually keep my blinders closed to keep the room dark.

quote:

With both of them, though, you need to clean their cages about once a week and while you should change their food and water every 2-3 days, you can totally load up the food bowl and leave them for like a week if you have a big enough water bottle. Just don't do it and leave the air conditioning off, as they can die of heat exhaustion, as happened to a hamster my 3rd grade classroom "owned" over a long weekend.

I don't turn my AC off, period, and I keep it set at 75 degrees. I live in Florida where it is very hot and very humid, and turning off A/C is an invitation to huge mold problems.

quote:

Another big factor: Guinea pigs require a ton of room and their cages have a much stronger smell than hamsters or gerbils. On the other hand, they are way more socialable and hearing them squeak when you pet them is about the most adorable thing ever. I took care of one for a summer and it was great, but also because I just saw him during the day, and didn't have the cage in my house.

The room thing is a concern. My apartment is tiny and my bed, dresser, and desk take up most of the room in my bedroom which is where I spend almost all of my time normally. I'd have enough space in my family/living room, but I spend very little time there.

quote:

As for vet care, not all vets offer small animals services.

Noted, something to look into if I seriously consider a rodent.

quote:

Regarding the one day if its just one day and you have multiple pigs its fine. I'm still down to one and while I do a normal 9 to 5 we also have people over fairly often and my roommate works a much looser schedule so shes usually only alone for a few hours at most. Some here may say that's too much, but she seems perfectly happy. But with multiple pigs its much less of an issue since they can pal around for a bit.

The OP and a couple of other sites I looked at suggest that hamsters are better off solitary, while pigs and gerbils are very social and should be kept in at least pairs. I definitely want to prioritize the animal's well-being, and yeah I only work one 10 hour day a week at present. Two 7 hour days, two 8 hour days, one 10 hour is my normal weekly schedule.

Thank you for the info. I think the biggest concern boils down to the lifespan issue and how sociable I want a pet to be. Something to think about, and I'm trying to do my homework on potential pets first.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'd be terrified of killing a rodent in my sleep if they did that. I'm a squirmer when I sleep, so I'd be very afraid of crushing or suffocating them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Crossposting from PYF.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Crossposting from PYF.

http://i.imgur.com/VwMkkCN.mp4

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
From PYF.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
From PYF.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/dYXYHhu.mp4

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/teJvkvL.gifv

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/cDats5O.mp4

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/dYXYHhu.mp4

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A wild rodent.

https://twitter.com/dickkingsmith/status/1311588448260808704?s=21

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/OO1oQvA.mp4

(not mine)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain Invictus posted:

it is just how rodents Do

De-lurking to comment that this is why I never got a gerbil or guinea pig despite thinking they're adorable, and apartment terms being much friendlier to them than a larger pet. I just don't think I can deal with the short lifespan.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/pervocracy/status/1459620010482147328

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal