Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Here are my little pigs, both around 1 year old:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

mrfart posted:

Nice! I wish I had a bit more space to have pigs. I had them as a kid and they were super fun.

Yep. I had no idea they needed such big cages, my boars are spoiled with a 2x5 / 2x2 upper level.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

For anyone buying a cage off that guineapigcagesstore site I recommended just buying the coroplast and grids separately, then zip-tying the grids together. The plastic connectors are just a big hassle. My two boars have a gigantic cage comprised of two 2x6 sheets hooked together and they love it.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Two boars are not the worst possible, but it depends. The best you can do the alleviate the issues is to get a larger cage, and make sure all your hideys have 2+ exits so they don't get trapped. Chasing and humping is nothing to worry about. Has any blood been drawn? If so, that's a problem.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

surfacelevelstudd posted:

ok so 2 days later, and they've calmed down significantly! Crowley is still pretty terrified of my hand being anywhere near him, but Azzie tolerates me petting his head while he eats. progress!

Good to hear. If they're actually brothers and have been familiar with each other at an early age that's generally better. My two guys are not related and different breeds(silver agouti//american shorthair) but I introduced them to each other in a neutral wide open space when they were both only around 2 months old. My cage is also gigantic(two 2x5 grids rigged together) so they have plenty of space if needed.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

It gets everywhere, it's unavoidable. My cage right now is propably 30% covered with hay, it's closing to cleaning time.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Not sure what you mean look for lethargy? They're pigs, it comes in spurts probably at night when you're sleeping. My two boars are over 3.5 years old and they're still active and feisty. Also, I really wouldn't worry about overfeeding unless you're feeding them strange stuff like nuts, beans, or those weird high sugar treats pet stores sell. My pigs daily get:

infinite hay(small pet select, they love it)
infinite water(two bottles)
nearly infinite oxbox pellets(i refill it typically within hours of going empty)
4-5 large pieces of romaine lettuce
2-4 baby carrots

and mixed in few times a week cilantro, green peppers, maybe some sweet stuff like grapes, strawberries for treats occasionally.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Yeah. If you're actively checking up on them and keep up with the consistent feeding schedule you're doing better than probably 90% of other pig owners.

People put guinea pigs in cages meant for rats, feed them garbage, and then wonder why they're sickly and depressed.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Pretty sure my pigs are smarter than I think they are. I gave them a few small pieces of romaine lettuce and baby carrots - one pig gladly found a carrot piece, trotted away, and then chowed down. The other pig, further away, found the romaine first and began to eat. I waited ~30 seconds, then pointed at the carrot he missed and said "Look! You missed it!" He then immediately jumped to the carrot and began to eat.

crazy stuff man

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

I give mine about 20 mins of laptime before he gets very comfortable and begins to pee/poop. It's just natural I think. Just bring a towel

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Sirotan posted:

Imagine thinking you could resist kissing this face, I contend that you could not

btw this is my brand new pig Nori, she is just over 5 weeks old now :3:

adorable

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Yeah I would say at least 1 month. I currently have two boars and would not want to deal with excessive baby pigs, they are cute but a huge hassle to adopt if it comes to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

yeah sounds about right. if you're new/lazy i really recommend https://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/. my guys have two 2x5 cages tied together in an L shaped pattern and i can frequently hear them sprinting around from corner to corner and it's super cute. prices have jumped though, a basic 2x5 is 99$ currently