Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Green Bean posted:

They've realized she's a Shonen protagonist. People in real life feel frustrated or angry with themselves or others when they aren't good at something that's important to them. She does not. That's what makes her creepy.

Yeah, this. And not only that? She doesn't even understand their frustration. She's all "Why'd anyone quit something this fun? :downs:"

By contrast, Natsuo has a more understandable if hosed up motivation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
The upended tropes have been pretty evident since the beginning of the series, but I don't think that's all there is to Yuzuko. I think the implication isn't just that she has a weird personality that's creepy once you're around it for a while, but that she also has some kind of neurological problem that causes pain to not be much of a deterrent for her. If the thresholds on her nervous system are higher than normal people, it would explain why being knocked around is fun for her and why it takes her a really long time to learn new movements.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Zenzirouj posted:

The upended tropes have been pretty evident since the beginning of the series, but I don't think that's all there is to Yuzuko. I think the implication isn't just that she has a weird personality that's creepy once you're around it for a while, but that she also has some kind of neurological problem that causes pain to not be much of a deterrent for her. If the thresholds on her nervous system are higher than normal people, it would explain why being knocked around is fun for her and why it takes her a really long time to learn new movements.

That's an interesting notion, and it pretty much fits with the vibe I was getting off her.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Zenzirouj posted:

While this might be it, I almost feel like at the end of that chapter Mario was suggesting that Yuzuko is a masochist. She enjoys the pain rather than being discouraged by it. I kind of hope not, because that would be maybe a little too creepy if they actually ran with it. An actual neurological problem would also probably be more interesting, but I'm not sure how that would be something people would actually just notice being around her.

Her taking a long time to learn new moves might just be her being kind of stupid.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
I assumed the thing she was missing was ego or ambition or something to that effect. She doesn't compare herself to others and thus doesn't get discouraged the way other people do, but as a result she lacks the ability to empathize with people who are trying to deal with failure.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

cafel posted:

I assumed the thing she was missing was ego or ambition or something to that effect. She doesn't compare herself to others and thus doesn't get discouraged the way other people do, but as a result she lacks the ability to empathize with people who are trying to deal with failure.

So basically, you think she's a really friendly sociopath. That sounds fair enough.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
After this chapter I actually thought she might be a sadist rather than a masochist. She likes to hit people/etc thus why her parents were looking for a less violent martial art. Getting hit doesn't bother her either so... sadomasochist? I don't think it's sexual in nature or anything though (that'd be creepy but in a different way)

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Natsuo is a sadist so it's pretty ironic that her unconquerable rival is a mashochist.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I think she falls squarely somewhere in the autism spectrum.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Zenzirouj posted:

Something like this would be cool, but I don't think Teppu's writer has thought the thing thoroughly enough for twists like this.

People seem to experience pain very differently in real life too. Getting punched with a clean hit hurts outlandisly and I don't want to eat strikes like that too often in my life, but getting hit doesn't seem to bother some other people I know. I'd have to imagine most (all?) professional fighters are like this.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

What's the deal with Mario saying that he was surprised Yuzuko was interested in Luta Livre then saying he could recommend some other Jiu-Jitsu academies then saying his academy was supposed to be a Judo academy? Either the author (which I doubt) or the translators must be very confused.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

duckdealer posted:

What's the deal with Mario saying that he was surprised Yuzuko was interested in Luta Livre then saying he could recommend some other Jiu-Jitsu academies then saying his academy was supposed to be a Judo academy? Either the author (which I doubt) or the translators must be very confused.

I think it's because Mario's gym is for people aiming to go pro, given how many quit or he might just want to avoid any hassle that Eyebrows will cause him if she continues to get beaten up and gets home all bruised. Or it's a translation mistake as you think it is.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CVE posted:

I think it's because Mario's gym is for people aiming to go pro, given how many quit or he might just want to avoid any hassle that Eyebrows will cause him if she continues to get beaten up and gets home all bruised. Or it's a translation mistake as you think it is.

Well, part of the reason people quit is because Ringi's there utterly shaming them and being better than they are even though she's a child.

Which actually reminds me of an interesting thing I realized about the series: Natsuo, despite being the protagonist, is in all other respects more or less the traditional shonen rival and a real rear end in a top hat, but in the beginning we see her, despite her not really having to try to be good at the sports she was playing, pretending to put out effort. She's rather malicious towards Yuzuko, but there's no real reason for her to be doing this outside of sparing people's feelings a little.

Meanwhile, Ringi and Yuzuko, while being for more traditionally "heroic", are obliviously (or possibly deliberately in Ringi's case, since she seems at least somewhat more aware) crushing people's dreams and shaming them by utterly dominating them, like that one girl we saw Mario have them spar repeatedly. Even though Natsuo has some pretty awful motives, she's capable of basic empathy, but pretty much everything Ringi and Yuzuko do is built on them crushing other people.

Even if you take a less charitable interpretation of Natsuo (she is still showing up people and whatnot in her quest to find something she actually likes doing, even though it's not her actual goal until she encounters Yuzuko), this sort of thing is a theme of the comic. Besides happening to almost everyone who encounters Ringi and Yuzuko, it's Sanae's entirely plotline basically, where despite being the best in the club and who got them some fame, she was still not as good as Natsuo despite training constantly and all that. It's also a common experience for people over at the gym Natsuo attends.

Edit: Been rereading the series after posting this; while Natsuo's earlier behavior's a bit meaner than I remember, my point about empathy still stands I think. Natsuo has it, as much of a jerk as she can be, and both Ringi and Yuzuko lack it. Even their treatment of the third girl in their MMA club shows this; she's basically there to be a third member so it qualifies as a club, and so far (as in, as far as I've reread) I don't think we've even seen her name because they just don't care. At least Natsuo seems to realize that she's an rear end in a top hat. Sometimes.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 11, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Sorry to get your hopes up when you see this thread at the top of the board, but it's not a full chapter, just a side chapter: https://kissmanga.com/Manga/Teppu/Ch-026-005--Natsuo%92s-Super-Dodge-Ball

The reaction to the maid outfits is fantastic.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Sindai posted:

Sorry to get your hopes up when you see this thread at the top of the board, but it's not a full chapter, just a side chapter: https://kissmanga.com/Manga/Teppu/Ch-026-005--Natsuo%92s-Super-Dodge-Ball

I'll forgive you, because that was loving great.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I like Teppu and all...but that gag chapter might be my favorite part of it so far.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

"...dodged a bullet." I couldn't stop laughing.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sindai posted:

I'm glad you got my hopes up, because that was outstanding. Dig the Ramones shirt too.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
The art in this manga has come such a long way.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Have I mentioned that Cameron Diaz is the best character in this manga yet? Because this fact bears repeating every chapter.

I love how Natsuo looks her manliest in a traditionally feminine outfit. Her body language really sells that panel.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

a cartoon duck posted:

I love how Natsuo looks her manliest in a traditionally feminine outfit. Her body language really sells that panel.

Seriously. She looks crazy buff and tough in that outfit, like a maid bodyguard from hell. And feminine at the same time. Fantastic.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Dodgeball ain't no game. :colbert:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Chapter 27

Nacchan's dream. :catstare:

I am terrified

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
That dream manages to make me feel really sad. Also mildly disturbed.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

cafel posted:

That dream manages to make me feel really sad. Also mildly disturbed.

Yeah, pretty much this. :smith::hf::gonk:

It's nice to see Pac Du-Na doing well against Yuzuko at least. :)

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

I wish there was a therapist or a sports psychologist in this manga to help Natsuo be less hosed up or deal with some of her issues. Her dream makes me super sad.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I don't know why y'all are so depressed that was a hilarious dream.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I just want her drat worthless older brother to treat her nice for a change. That rear end in a top hat! As an older sibling myself, it really irks me to see that kind of twisted relationship.

Be good to your siblings!! <:mad:>

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
I don't want her brother to treat her nice, I want her to beat the poo poo out of him, and then he treats her nice.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That dream. :unsmith:

I'm expecting Duna to get BJJ'd next chapter. Her striking may be better than Yuzuko's but no way are we not getting Natsuo vs Yuzuko finals. Unless the author decides to troll us hard and make us wait another 2 years to see them fight.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Meat posted:

I wish there was a therapist or a sports psychologist in this manga to help Natsuo be less hosed up or deal with some of her issues. Her dream makes me super sad.

She should talk to Cameron Diaz there. She did a pretty good job of reading Pac in this fight.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Sindai posted:

That dream. :unsmith:

I'm expecting Duna to get BJJ'd next chapter. Her striking may be better than Yuzuko's but no way are we not getting Natsuo vs Yuzuko finals. Unless the author decides to troll us hard and make us wait another 2 years to see them fight.

Eyebrows is going to get KO'd, Natsuo is going to sleep through it.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

She should talk to Cameron Diaz there. She did a pretty good job of reading Pac in this fight.

Pointing out that Cameron Diaz is the best is my job, dude.

At this point I really want Eyebrows to lose just to see what that'd do to Natsuo. She's projecting harder and harder on her with every chapter, having someone else best the girl she's setting up as the platonic ideal of everything wrong with her life would certainly shake her up at the very least.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

coathat posted:

I don't know why y'all are so depressed that was a hilarious dream.

Both hilarious and saddening. Natsuo is pretty much completely hosed in the head, and MMA is not known for helping people get through mental issues as it is using them to pummel other people.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

a cartoon duck posted:

At this point I really want Eyebrows to lose just to see what that'd do to Natsuo. She's projecting harder and harder on her with every chapter, having someone else best the girl she's setting up as the platonic ideal of everything wrong with her life would certainly shake her up at the very least.

It'd be even more hilarious because Eyebrows probably wouldn't really care, would be all YEP THAT WAS FUN LET'S FIGHT AGAIN SOME TIME!

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

a cartoon duck posted:

Having the 'hero' lose while the 'rival' moves forward through the tournament is a fairly common occurance in sports stories like these, and it'd be interesting to see it happen here. (Of course Eyebrows would be the hero of the story, if told traditionally...)

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

I wonder if Natsuo would even stay interested in competing in the tournament once eyebrows was knocked out. She's kinda fickle about her motivation.

doyle-san
Feb 25, 2001

"This changes nothing."

a cartoon duck posted:

Yeah maybe rather than setting us up with

.-~**~THE FINAL ROUND FIGHT OF DESTINY~**~-.

or whatever they are both just going to get a beating at the hands of the same Korean Muay Thai mix up and their rivalry can develop further from a more humble place. Narratively I don't think I'd get anything from watching them settle this up right now. I think it'd even be better to see them fight for third place while the people who knocked each of them out advance to the final; force Natsuo to put this rivalry in perspective.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Truly the most disturbing panel in modern manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It's pretty telling that in her dreams, she's skinny and thin, and in fact smaller than her brother. That's how she sees herself, ideally. That's what really feels disturbing about it.

• Locked thread