Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Are there really martial art/sport colleges in Japan? KSKM seems a bit more realistic than AIKI, but going by the latter I just assumed that it was a fictitious concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

Serious Frolicking posted:

Are there really martial art/sport colleges in Japan? KSKM seems a bit more realistic than AIKI, but going by the latter I just assumed that it was a fictitious concept.
I'd assume so, or at least something similar to what the US has for collegiate sports. Athletics can be a big money maker, so some schools give scholarships for sports more than academics. Those students might not graduate with a master's degree in football or basketball, but everyone knows what they're at the school to do.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I loved the gym chapter! I used to go to a Thai Boxing club and those training scenes really took me back. I quit because I realized I didn't have the "killer instinct" to take the sport seriously ( that is, hitting people made me feel uncomfortable ). Reading this makes me want to start going to a club again, just for the satisfyingly hard workout if nothing else! This must mean the author is doing a good job so I definitely recommend this manga. Besides, I enjoy rear end in a top hat protagonists :)

"I get some good sounds from you, too." Ha!

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 2, 2010

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Renoistic posted:

I loved the gym chapter! I used to go to a Thai Boxing club and those training scenes really took me back. I quit because I realized I didn't have the "killer instinct" to take the sport seriously ( that is, hitting people made me feel uncomfortable ). Reading this makes me want to start going to a club again, just for the satisfyingly hard workout if nothing else! This must mean the author is doing a good job so I definitely recommend this manga. Besides, I enjoy rear end in a top hat protagonists :)

"I get some good sounds from you, too." Ha!

I agree. A lot of the training stuff reminded me of the warm-up exercises that we did back when I used to do Aiki-jujitsu (like aikido except more focused on the actual fighting aspects than the philosophy and stuff)

Hardick Hertzer
Aug 27, 2002

Still hard after all these beers
...err, years.

Ytlaya posted:

By the way, if you like this manga you might want to check out Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru. It does have some character cliches, but one nice "broken" cliche is that the main character starts out with gymnastics experience and is legitimately talented and in great shape. So sorta like Teppu you have a competent protagonist who isn't just some dumbass with a heart of gold and work ethic.

This sounds interesting, could you be prevailed upon/harassed into making a thread about it, or at least post more info + links if available somewhere (here or misc shounen thread as appropriate?)

Apologies if you already did, this is only the second thread I've read this evening.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
the least cliched fighting manga is Shamo, if only because it's about a serial killer who enters the karate/ MMA world so he can tear down famous people. He cheats a lot. He is morally reprehensible

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

Zorak posted:

the least cliched fighting manga is Shamo, if only because it's about a serial killer who enters the karate/ MMA world so he can tear down famous people. He cheats a lot. He is morally reprehensible

He's also awesome. Shamo is the best.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
He's not a serial killer, just a regular killer.

And later rapist.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Sindai posted:

He's not a serial killer, just a regular killer.

And later rapist.

I dunno, his tendency to kill fighters is practically serial :v:

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

apekillape posted:

He's also awesome. Shamo is the best.

Amen.

This cannot be said enough.

Reis
Sep 11, 2005
Too bad about what happened to Shamo though.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Reis posted:

Too bad about what happened to Shamo though.

More like Shanko :smug:

I hate you all I marathoned through what's been translated of Shamo and then Akumetsu and now I feel all ready to fight the establishment and poo poo :smith:

Entreri
Nov 8, 2005

Echoing the responses, this is an awesome manga for anyone remotely interested in MMA. I just started taking BJJ classes at a Brazilian Top Team gym, so I can totally relate to being to the new kid that everyone can style on. The CH. 6 gym stuff has me pretty psyched to go to class this week.

This fight in Ch. 5 really reminds me of real world Megumi Fujii's fight vs Serin Murray. Crazy high-speed tackles.

Entreri fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 6, 2010

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande
EDIT: blueballs bump I know, but what can you do..

I guess this project is dead, sigh, apparently animexis stopped doing it? They said they had staffing troubles earlier and apparently the only dude doing teppu is some brazilian guy that doesn't know english, i don't even know.

In the meantime:

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/all_rounder_meguru/

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Swamp Zero posted:

I guess this project is dead, sigh, apparently animexis stopped doing it? They said they had staffing troubles earlier and apparently the only dude doing teppu is some brazilian guy that doesn't know english, i don't even know.

Kanapox on the Animexis.org forums 03-05-2010 posted:

Teppu ch7 has been done for several days, it's my fault (real life stuff actually) that just keep messing with my plans. Anyway, I'll try to send you this Friday those pages that need corrections in Portuguese, I want to release teppu as fast as I can, ch9 is going to be published tomorrow in Japan and we still have more exciting series to show to you guys.
I guess it'll come out whenever they get the Portuguese straightened out. So if anyone reading Teppu knows Portuguese and speaks good English get in touch with Animexis.

On another note the first two collected volumes came out on the fifth.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

quote:

ch9 is going to be published tomorrow in Japan

Wow! So translations are really not far behind the actual releases, like at all. That's pretty cool.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It feels odd to say this in this thread, but I like Meguru a hell of a lot more than I did Teppu, plus it actually seems to be an active project!

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

OnimaruXLR posted:

It feels odd to say this in this thread, but I like Meguru a hell of a lot more than I did Teppu, plus it actually seems to be an active project!

kotonoha are reliable as gently caress and have been around since pretty much forever but I still like teppu more

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

OnimaruXLR posted:

I was gonna say that, while it's good, the main character is straight out of the generic protagonist factory, but, as always, the introduction of tall girl makes everything better("With your height, you can do any sport! basketball, volleyball, dominatrix...")

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Swamp Zero posted:

In the meantime:

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/all_rounder_meguru/

That sucks. I'm not even into MMA in the least, it was more the promise of a decent fighting manga starring girls where they're not sexualized or it's presented as titillation or something. I was enjoying it a lot, too.

Captain Joe
Oct 25, 2009

The rain falls on murderers and madmen, the same as it does on innocent children... and it can't stop a bullet.
Edit: Removed because I apparently forgot how to read that day.

Captain Joe fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 20, 2010

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, if there's people who haven't abandoned this for Meguru yet, here's the 7th chapter.
Titled "Your Eyebrows Are Really Thick" :haw:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

HenryEx posted:

Oh hey, if there's people who haven't abandoned this for Meguru yet, here's the 7th chapter.

You have to choose one now? :ohdear:

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

HenryEx posted:

This chapter was really good, you could almost feel the tension in it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Haha, Mario is great.

The real question now is what's up with her brother. I really have no idea what was going on there.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sindai posted:

Haha, Mario is great.

The real question now is what's up with her brother. I really have no idea what was going on there.

That was Natsuo getting a deeper backstory and more complex motivations. She was clearly terrified of him and it was the most emotion she has shown thus far. It isn't just the complete lack of misogyny that makes this series good; the character work is also excellent.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

I was totally expecting Mario to be a jerk just based on the facial expression he's had on all the time. Imagine my surprise when we find out he's funny and awesome!

It's been mentioned before, but Teppu really is like reading a fight manga from the rival/antagonist's point of view. Ringi and Yuzuko would be the main characters in any other series.

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

HenryEx posted:

Yessssss new chapter whooo boy

It was pretty good, loved miki's design, seemed like something out of HxH

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

:smith:

lolhate
Jun 1, 2009
Hell yes, a new chapter, finally! I really liked how this one went. I hope the translators continue on with the awesome work :D

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

Vagrancy posted:

:smith:

That's 7th January, which means the Raws for 9 and 10 are already out. It's the translation that's bottlenecking the releases, not the raws

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Sindai posted:

Haha, Mario is great.

The way I saw it, in the flashback, she's seen protecting someone. Her brother looks rather short, so I assume it was him who she was protecting, and he hates her for it

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Swamp Zero posted:

Yessssss new chapter whooo boy

It was pretty good, loved miki's design, seemed like something out of HxH

Do you mean Hiki? Because she looks almost exactly like one of the current antagonists in HxH (and even does the "nya" thing). Miki is just the plain looking opponent Yuzuko fights before Hiki.

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

cisneros posted:

The way I saw it, in the flashback, she's seen protecting someone. Her brother looks rather short, so I assume it was him who she was protecting, and he hates her for it

Even more in line with manga cliches, it could be that the brother was used to her protecting him, but one time she doesn't show up or abandons him causing him to resent her.

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

Reiche posted:

Do you mean Hiki? Because she looks almost exactly like one of the current antagonists in HxH (and even does the "nya" thing). Miki is just the plain looking opponent Yuzuko fights before Hiki.

yessss hiki... Post some of the cat-person from HxH I have no idea which chapters to look for and I read hxh like 4-5 years ago so I wanna confirm the likeness

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Swamp Zero posted:

yessss hiki... Post some of the cat-person from HxH I have no idea which chapters to look for and I read hxh like 4-5 years ago so I wanna confirm the likeness

Right here. Quite a resemblence, and it seems the author is actually updating regularly again. You might want to look into it again.

And in regards to her brother, I'd have to agree with cisneros. I got the feeling that she emasculated him in front of whoever he was fighting him and didn't take it too lightly. At least in the sense that he would have to deal with the fact that his sister had to save him around his peers.

Captain Joe
Oct 25, 2009

The rain falls on murderers and madmen, the same as it does on innocent children... and it can't stop a bullet.
She looked as if she was afraid he was going to beat the hell out of her.

Captain Joe fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 21, 2010

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Where's this flashback you guys were talking about?

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Captain Joe posted:

She looked as if she was afraid he was going to beat the hell out of her.
I know it's easy to assume that the woman has to be scared of the man, I thought like that for a second, but when adding the pieces I remembered the flashback that she remembers at that time, where she's defending some guy, most likely him, and since the brother talks normally when he thinks it's his mom that came in, I assume he's not the kind of guy that would hit his sister, and really, he looked kind of short and dumpy, and her reaction is probably out of awkwardness(At least I prefer to think like that).

Superstring posted:

Where's this flashback you guys were talking about?

This is: http://www.onemanga.com/Teppu/4/01/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

cisneros posted:

I know it's easy to assume that the woman has to be scared of the man, I thought like that for a second, but when adding the pieces I remembered the flashback that she remembers at that time, where she's defending some guy, most likely him, and since the brother talks normally when he thinks it's his mom that came in, I assume he's not the kind of guy that would hit his sister, and really, he looked kind of short and dumpy, and her reaction is probably out of awkwardness(At least I prefer to think like that).
Her brother never talks, he just glares at her and walks off. Those speech bubbles are hers. She seems downright shocked to see her brother around the house at all.

Maybe he's supposed to be off at college. Or maybe he's a NEET who almost never leaves his room?

I definitely don't think that initial reaction is fear - she looks sad when he ignores her and leaves, not relieved. I think the conjecture about wounded pride is on the mark.

• Locked thread