Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Joe
Oct 25, 2009

The rain falls on murderers and madmen, the same as it does on innocent children... and it can't stop a bullet.
Hmm, I re-thought about my post and realized I made it sound too harsh, I need to kill that habit. Though the reaction on the bottom of this page to seeing him made it look like she was scared more than awkward but it's probably more like you're saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007
No, she definitely looks terrified. Somehow I don't think it's because he abuses her, but there's really no other way to read those facial expressions.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

L.E. Cheetah posted:

No, she definitely looks terrified. Somehow I don't think it's because he abuses her, but there's really no other way to read those facial expressions.

That flashback definitely looks like she was protecting him, so I don't know how she got from there to being afraid of a shut-in. Of course, if that is the case she protected her older brother by beating up three guys. That's rather emasculating even if said sister is a huge badass. I really want to know the story behind it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

L.E. Cheetah posted:

I don't know, to me it seems more like it's "awkwardness fear," and she's sweating/smiling because their relationship is really strained so there's a lot of pressure.

Could be either way though.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

Ytlaya posted:

I don't know, to me it seems more like it's "awkwardness fear," and she's sweating/smiling because their relationship is really strained so there's a lot of pressure.

Could be either way though.

Thaaaaattt'ssss really pushing it dude.

She's seriously scared out of her mind. You don't react like that if you are awkward around someone.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Hellbunny posted:

Thaaaaattt'ssss really pushing it dude.

She's seriously scared out of her mind. You don't react like that if you are awkward around someone.

I'm not seeing it. I guess it's the equivalent of burning ears, but that's harder to convey than sweating. She might be scared that he chews her out again for whatever happened, but afraid of her brother? Nah.
Just "Oh poo poo, what are you doing here?"

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

L.E. Cheetah posted:

Well, yeah, people can also be scared of words.

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009
Based on the level of combat prowess Teppu has and the fact that it's already been established in the story so far that the brother is physically weak, it's impossible for him to be a physical threat to her. I would interpret her expression on seeing her brother as a mixture of shock and a fear of facing whatever emotional issues there are in her relationship with him, which probably involves a lot of feelings of guilt.
Besides, her expressionin the top panel after her brother leaves isn't that of relief when something scary or threatening passes but clearly of remorse.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
To get the spoiler stuff out of the way...

I don't know where people are getting that Natsuo is scared of her brother. I mean going by the flashback and that entire sequence when she sees him, especially this page, it's obvious that she's really nervous and sad over the fact their relationship is non-existant now and probably more than a little hostile on his end.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's revealed that her lovely relationship with her brother is the main reason she has an equally lovely attitude when it comes to other people with her workaholic mother probably factoring into things as well. After all, why bother getting close to anyone when you're not even close to the ones you SHOULD be close to?

Really, strained relationships and trying to fix them seems like it's going to be a big theme in this series. You can see it crop up with Natsuo and Sanae (who used to be friends) and maybe a bit with Ringi and her father (since he seemed a bit more concerned with Yuzuko).

Non-spoiler (kind of, I guess), Yuzuko is a total badass holy poo poo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Suben posted:

To get the spoiler stuff out of the way...

I don't know where people are getting that Natsuo is scared of her brother. I mean going by the flashback and that entire sequence when she sees him, especially this page, it's obvious that she's really nervous and sad over the fact their relationship is non-existant now and probably more than a little hostile on his end.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's revealed that her lovely relationship with her brother is the main reason she has an equally lovely attitude when it comes to other people with her workaholic mother probably factoring into things as well. After all, why bother getting close to anyone when you're not even close to the ones you SHOULD be close to?

Really, strained relationships and trying to fix them seems like it's going to be a big theme in this series. You can see it crop up with Natsuo and Sanae (who used to be friends) and maybe a bit with Ringi and her father (since he seemed a bit more concerned with Yuzuko).

This is exactly my take on it.

When we find out for sure, we'll also find out which of us has asperger's or whatever that condition is where you can't read facial expressions correctly.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I figure it's more the author not being that great with faces.

Although wide-mouth girl in that chapter was pretty funny.

Dominic Hokage
Nov 11, 2003

This really is like Sakaki fighting the world, except Sakaki is a mean jerk and everyone in the world is Tomo.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Dominic Hokage posted:

This really is like Sakaki fighting the world, except Sakaki is a mean jerk and everyone in the world is Tomo.

And there are no cats to bite her hand. :3:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
New Chapter, finally!

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

DrSunshine posted:

New Chapter, finally!

I LOVE THIS MANGA.

That stand-off was the poo poo. Watching Natsuo learn is the poo poo. Everything about this manga is THE poo poo.

I'm about to get into MMA myself, and as a tall person (coincidentally also ex of karate) it was really interesting to see her have the same reactions to stuff that I do. I've totally done that exact same push-kick thing she did at the end too, haha.

So loving good. I can't wait for more chapters.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Hnnnnggg the only bad thing about this manga is that it's not a weekly. :saddowns:

And after all the awesome Natsuo action in the first few chapters now I'm feeling really blue balled.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Art could be a bit more polished and less generic anime faces (they clash with the desire to present some unique features, and out come some really ugly people).

But as for presentation, flow, theme and all that, yeah, owns.
There isn't really any competition for "serious female MMA manga", though, so it's by definition better than most.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
https://www.animexis.org who is the group working on this one is looking for cleaners, typesetters, and translators if any of you goons want to lend a hand. Alternatively, you can donate.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Mario and Takenaka playing up the trash talk for the press was pretty great. poo poo talking Mario owns. Also at the pace this thing is translated, we'll probably wind up stuck on that Karate Club cliffhanger for quite awhile.

Honestly, though, the only real complaint I have with this chapter is lack of Yuzuko. She rules and I really can't wait to get more instances of her running through other fighters en route to her match with Natsuo.

Edit: Basically the entire series could just be Yuzuko destroying people and I probably wouldn't mind.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

This is the first Manga I ever read (because it sounded interesting). Thanks thread!

If only there were more :smith:

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
i really wish there were more chapters of this.

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

The_Frag_Man posted:

This is the first Manga I ever read (because it sounded interesting). Thanks thread!

there are, but good luck wading through the poo poo blind

Puukko naamassa
Mar 25, 2010

Oh No! Bruno!
Lipstick Apathy

The_Frag_Man posted:

If you like Teppu, you might also like All Rounder Meguru, which is another decent manga about MMA.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Puukko naamassa posted:

If you like Teppu, you might also like All Rounder Meguru, which is another decent manga about MMA.

I second All-Rounder Meguru. In fact, why doesn't it have its own thread? Both Teppu and ARM are awesome.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
They both have extremely slow or inconsistent release schedules though. Really we should just have "Martial Arts Manga that don't need their own thread" thread.

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

Sindai posted:

They both have extremely slow or inconsistent release schedules though. Really we should just have "Martial Arts Manga that don't need their own thread" thread.

why? I don't see the appeal of megathreads, they consistently stifle discussion

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Not like there's any discussion on any of those series to stifle.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If anyone thinks a series should have a thread they should make one. If it fails, who cares?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
New chapter: http://www.mangareader.net/1292-53775-1/teppu/chapter-9.html

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande
Yeah I was looking forward to this happening.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Haha, now her training partner is going to be upset that Natsuo goes easy on her

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Serious Frolicking posted:

New chapter: http://www.mangareader.net/1292-53775-1/teppu/chapter-9.html

what the gently caress is that website my eyes are bleeding now.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Pyronic posted:

what the gently caress is that website my eyes are bleeding now.

Geez I despise that place. Here's Onemanga's; a little less offensive to my sight.

I'm glad she kicked rear end in her first match because like she says, it'd be too "manga" for her to lose.

vvvvv I figured that, no hard feelings? :kiddo:

Reiche fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 16, 2010

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, it was up there before onemanga.

Captain Joe
Oct 25, 2009

The rain falls on murderers and madmen, the same as it does on innocent children... and it can't stop a bullet.

Reiche posted:

I'm glad she kicked rear end in her first match because like she says, it'd be too "manga" for her to lose.

For some reason I thought that when she was beginning to learn at the gym already covered her losing and wanting to get better/working towards her goal. I'm looking forward to the fight with Sanae, gonna be awesome since both of them look to be tougher than they first appeared to be.

Also I like how the karate coach didn't go into a speech on how to beat Natsuo, it also avoided the typical "manga" path; to me at least.

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande
thats cool, thats deep I liked the part where she destroyed that girl like she was a mewling infant

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Swamp Zero posted:

thats cool, thats deep I liked the part where she destroyed that girl like she was a mewling infant

That really is the best part and I hope there will be more like it. I am looking forward the when she does lose for the first time though.

Fearsome Critter
Mar 2, 2008

PURPLE DRANK
ima grip and sip
Just marathoned this tonight and I have to say it's pretty good. The fight scenes are well-choreographed, and I'm digging how Natsuo is genuinely more concerned with being challenged than she is with losing.

The total lack of fanservice is great, too. I'm used to series that throw it in even when they have strong female leads, but Teppu sidesteps it entirely; it really keeps the focus on the action.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I'm looking forward to when she fights a boy (possibly after overcoming the whatever-it-is with her brother) and puts the "Come on, is that really all?" hurt on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'm looking forward to when she fights a boy (possibly after overcoming the whatever-it-is with her brother) and puts the "Come on, is that really all?" hurt on him.

I can't wait until she starts dating :3:, though I guess the boy would have to be at least as strong as her to keep her interested.

• Locked thread