Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc

KodiakRS posted:

Last month I moved and between moving expenses, normal usage, and buying a bunch of new furniture I ended up putting about $16,000 onto a credit card. As always I paid the card down to zero within a few days. I just went to check my credit report and both equifax and TU are showing a 90 point drop (~800->710) due to $16,000 of credit card debt. I was under the impression that credit card usage wouldn't really effect my credit score so long as the balance never made it onto a bill. Assuming I continue my policy of never carrying a balance on that, or any other, card how long will it take my score to recover?

Did you hold that balance long enough for it to show up on your monthly statement? That's where they get their intel from. So your score should bounce back after the next statement cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
It looks like that's what happened, I guess it took a day or two to reflect my payment and during that period they took the balance for my monthly bill. Oh well, I get $16,000 worth of credit card rewards and wasn't planning on getting a loan anytime soon anyway.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

It will self correct next month, don't worry about it.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
If my credit card statement is posted on 2nd of the month and payment is due on the 27th, when is the ideal date to pay it off? Does it matter?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Lester Shy posted:

If my credit card statement is posted on 2nd of the month and payment is due on the 27th, when is the ideal date to pay it off? Does it matter?

I do not think there is an ideal time, just on time, preferably paid in full. Out of sight out of mind is always the way I think about it. I like paying on the day it’s posted because it gives me a better overview for the month. My checking and credit card is through the same company, so when I pay it is reflected instantly.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Lester Shy posted:

I autopay mine on the due date because why pay any earlier when i am earning interest on my cash

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The objectively ideal time to pay it off would be on the due date so that you can continue to accrue interest on your cash. Keep in mind that $1000 in a 5% APY account is only like $4/month that you need to pay taxes on so it's more like $3.

If you're one of those people who somehow want to min/max your credit score for reasons (it literally doesn't matter, outside of some select cases) then the ideal time for that would be before the date your credit card reports your balance to the credit agencies. You can find this date on your credit reports (the balance last updated date). Again, this literally doesn't matter for 99% of the time.

If you're bad with money and are using your credit card wrong (as in buying stuff you don't actually have money for) the better time to pay it is probably ASAP.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i generally like paying off the cards on autopay a bit early in case something fucks up due to my idiot moron bank

schwab brokerage: good
schwab retail banking: god awful

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i generally like paying off the cards on autopay a bit early in case something fucks up due to my idiot moron bank

schwab brokerage: good
schwab retail banking: god awful

Oh yeah I have autopay set up but I always just do a manual payment around the time I pay rent too. I don't like that autopay seems to default to (only able to?) pay on the due date and I'm paranoid something goes wrong and it's a long holiday weekend and the banks are closed.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh yeah I have autopay set up but I always just do a manual payment around the time I pay rent too. I don't like that autopay seems to default to (only able to?) pay on the due date and I'm paranoid something goes wrong and it's a long holiday weekend and the banks are closed.

gently caress, the autopay for my mortgage is like 5 days after the "due by" date they tell me. They said that's how it would be when I set it up and it's been without extra fees or anything, just how their system works.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

My mortgage has 15 day grace period after the due date before a payment is considered late. So... that's the actual due date I guess? IDK I still pay it on the written due date.

Try that with your apartment landlord and see how it goes.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Guinness posted:

My mortgage has 15 day grace period after the due date before a payment is considered late. So... that's the actual due date I guess? IDK I still pay it on the written due date.

Try that with your apartment landlord and see how it goes.

Also check your state laws for that, too. Rent grace period is sometimes codified.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i generally like paying off the cards on autopay a bit early in case something fucks up due to chaos

This is me as well. If something is wrong anywhere in the system I want a few days to repair it. Unexpectedly high balance? Low checking account balance? Fraud on either? Computers are terrible? Banks are terrible?

It's one fewer thing to unwind, and fraud against my checking account isn't the credit card issuers fault so could be a hassle to unwind.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sundae posted:

Also check your state laws for that, too. Rent grace period is sometimes codified.

Check your lease too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

In California your lease grace period is in your contract, the default (I think?) is 5 calendar days and then (by state law) 5 business days after that they can begin pre-eviction proceedings by physically posting a "pay or quit" notice on your door. That's probably not 100% correct but pretty close

Rent stuff is going to vary by city/county/state, and if you're rent controlled there's probably additional carve outs for that. First step is check your contract tho