Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Pikal posted:

I posted in SA mart looking for a used macro and someone replied suggesting a 40mm pancake and expansion tubes. I was wondering if I could do this with my nifty fifty and what am I looking for in terms of the expansion tubes?

This would be a learning experience so I'm not looking to spend $500+ on a lens at this time. I'm using a Canon T3i and depending how this takes off may upgrade to a full frame body.

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions. If this is better in the gear thread I can repost there.

I have done this with my nifty-fifty on a 70D and it works fine. Mine were this set of 13, 21 and 31mm tubes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
A lot of cameras these days have wi-fi onboard and have 1st party smartphone apps to let you use your phone as the viewfinder/touchscreen interface. You can typically do anything that doesn't involve physically moving the camera or the lens- so you can adjust aperture, shutter speed, focus point, drive mode and so on, but not zoom or the actual camera position.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Decided to try something different, so I went to the park with my manual focus M42 Macro Takumar 50mm f/4, a flash (which I didn't end up using) and some M42 macro tubes (which also stayed in my bag the whole trip).

Got a bunch of insect butts.

IMG_8548.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_8556.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_8602.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Also candles don't randomly walk away while you are focusing.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Anyone have good suggestions for editing tutorials? I guess this is a bit of a general question, but I'm doing almost entirely macro stuff at the moment and want to get better at editing. I'm shooting in RAW and large jpeg at the moment and want to make sure I fully utilize the available software (Lightroom and Photoshop, currently).

There's also the Post Processing thread where you can ask specific questions.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking of the Canon 100mm f/2.8 (the non-L version). Is it ok? I want to try shooting bugs handheld to start with and maybe some still-life macro stuff on a tripod. Is there a better option for long-ish macro on a Canon without dropping a grand on glass I won't use that often?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
We have these amazing electric-blue butterflies here, they are huge - each wing is the size of my palm - and they fly super fast. I've been trying to get a good shot of one for a year and a half now but they really, really don't like to sit still for longer than a picosecond at a time.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Went to test off-camera flash with the macro setting on my 24-70. It was better than I expected.

IMG_4181.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_4173.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_4162.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I didn't know this was a thing, I might do that some. I have been saving and emailing edited photo's to myself as a jpg to post on instagram, but I started a flickr just to post a few photos in this thread.

Before covid, I was planning to attend some evening classes at the community college on learning how to use your camera better, and they had another on editing. Since that didn't happen I've just been googling/asking questions here and just making things happen by experimenting.

The Flickr publish service is pretty great. You can create Flickr albums in Lr and push photos direct to them, as well as publish to existing albums. It also takes any keywords you added when importing, and applies those as tags on Flickr.
Two (maybe minor) issues with it:
Firstly it only knows about Flickr albums that you created via the plugin. It can't publish to albums you created manually or with a different service. You can still publish direct to your photostream and move the pictures to an album using the Organise feature of Flickr though.
Secondly you can't flag images or set privacy controls on them. If you are uploading stuff that you want to be at a different public setting or that needs to be flagged as moderate or explicit content, you need to change those settings after they are uploaded (or upload them manually with the Flickr uploader which does let you set flags before you start the upload).

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

seravid posted:

Well this ID business has quickly become overwhelming. Got three so far :stonklol:

Here, have a Araneus diadematus and its shameful web:

2/10 Would not get entangled there again.

Cool spider pic though.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Female Southern Hawker

IMG_0324-Edit-2.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

IMG_0459-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Harvestman spider spider cosplayer

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Neon Noodle posted:

I have never seen their weird little face beaks before

I posted the pic in the pets channel of my work Slack and I'm getting ... mixed reactions.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Viginti Septem posted:

I need to figure out a good flash situation for doing the macros.

I have a 50 reversed to a 135 for the macro and both lenses are 3.5 so unless in really good light, I have to use really high ISO and it's killing me with noise. I'd like to be able to shoot much faster shutter speeds too and/or use flash to freeze motion.

A lot of macro shooters roll their own solutions with speedlights, Pringles tubes, and construction paper. There are off-the-shelf solutions but they get expensive fast. The one I use is the Yongnuo YN24EX which was the cheapest non-garbage option I found.
https://th.hkyongnuo.com/products/yn24ex

Note that although they only provide specific versions for Sony or Canon, the flash should work with any camera that has a centre-pin hotshoe. You'll just not have TTL or wakeup functionality.

Helen Highwater fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Using that flash, and a Macro Takumar 50mm f/4 on my 5Div, I got these shots.

IMG_3020-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_0459-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_0324-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr