Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Infinotize posted:

I went and sat in an Ioniq the other day finally and it was like... completely normal sized. It's the size of a new CRV. Ok just barely bigger. But I don't get why people have an issue with that, if it was smaller inside no one would buy it, like no one bought a honda E. People don't go, a CRV oh my god what a monstrosity.

CRVs have gotten bigger too and this is why I said that people's concept of what is big these days is skewed. Like you don't just wake up one day and go 'holy poo poo I'm 300lbs' it's a process so slow you don't really notice too much and if everyone else around is a little husky too your perspective on it gets somewhat
normalised. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

Peoples sense of normalcy is indeed getting hosed up.

One of our cars is a 1993 Benz convertible:

This used to be battlecruiser-class. It looks practically emaciated next to a modern car.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I test drove an Ioniq 5 N yesterday, dealer only allowed me like a mile of driving, but it feels like the real deal. It would be financially irresponsible to buy it with what the resale will be, but it feels legit.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Did you get a chance to play with the sound settings and fake shifts?

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Unfortunately not cause I had no idea how to turn it on and the sales person didn’t either. But the steering and braking felt good, and the cars fast, but that’s all evs.

If I was going to make some sort of analogy, it’s like a more practical ev gtr.

Optimus Subprime fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 21, 2024

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

CRVs have gotten bigger too and this is why I said that people's concept of what is big these days is skewed. Like you don't just wake up one day and go 'holy poo poo I'm 300lbs' it's a process so slow you don't really notice too much and if everyone else around is a little husky too your perspective on it gets somewhat

Pretty much every time I leave my bubble in Colorado these days. The Denver airport is a rude awakening.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 21, 2024

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

My first car was a 76 continental town car. I get uncomfortable driving my partner's Tahoe sometimes, mostly because of the sightlines due to the height moreso than the width or length.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I don’t like you calling me out like this.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Olympic Mathlete posted:

*edit: vs a hatch that was everywhere on UK streets...

"well it's just a bit bigger" - person who doesn't understand volume.

That certainly explains it because in NA this is a small car/CUV:

VS the Ioniq 5:

VS the original CUV:

VS every other vehicle in traffic:

And for the record we're on the same page about size creep because this is me driving around in city traffic:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
If you removed the seats in the cab, your Mini could drive the Silverado.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I've been hearing that the new toyota camry is a huge improvement over the the outgoing model. I might actually cancel the land cruiser because its too far outside my affordability range.

But the new Camry looks really tempting and well within affordable range, i hope its not too compromised-normie-boring choice of a daily driver.

I honestly would love to get a GR86, sadly thats far too compromised for a daily driver, especially since i want a car that will be practical for a while but god drat does it look sick as hell.

https://youtu.be/3kurrR9K8cc?si=v8wi83Fh2pzGYp6j

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Al-Saqr posted:

I've been hearing that the new toyota camry is a huge improvement over the the outgoing model. I might actually cancel the land cruiser because its too far outside my affordability range.

But the new Camry looks really tempting and well within affordable range, i hope its not too compromised-normie-boring choice of a daily driver.

I honestly would love to get a GR86, sadly thats far too compromised for a daily driver, especially since i want a car that will be practical for a while but god drat does it look sick as hell.

gently caress yeah. That Camry is amazing. I want one too.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

gently caress yeah. That Camry is amazing. I want one too.

Yeah haha im definitely getting the XSE sport trim ultra luxury trim package. The fact that im getting that good of a car for so low a price is crazy. All wheel drive, all the luxury bells and tech whistles, 40 mpg mileage, all for 35-40k?! Crazy!

Maybe im just a boring housewife type of person i dunno!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 21, 2024

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'd grab some of the last V6 XSE's gently caress the hybrid, the V6 is heavenly

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Infinotize posted:

I went and sat in an Ioniq the other day finally and it was like... completely normal sized. It's the size of a new CRV. Ok just barely bigger. But I don't get why people have an issue with that, if it was smaller inside no one would buy it, like no one bought a honda E. People don't go, a CRV oh my god what a monstrosity.

Yes that's the problem

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Al-Saqr posted:

Perhaps the GR Corolla would fit the bill? More powerful than a GR86, all the practicality of a hatchback. Plus it has adaptive cruise and all the modern tech you’d want. Hot hatches sound like they’d fit your needs perfectly.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I'd grab some of the last V6 XSE's gently caress the hybrid, the V6 is heavenly

Yeah, but open diff with the V6. :(

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Perhaps the GR Corolla would fit the bill? More powerful than a GR86, all the practicality of a hatchback. Plus it has adaptive cruise and all the modern tech you’d want. Hot hatches sound like they’d fit your needs perfectly.

GR Corolla sounds great for, "I like the GR86, but need more than just space for a couple carry-ons."

I know the GR86 seats fold down and a set of tires can fit, but everyday practicality imo is better with a hatch due to the lack of rear shelf.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Thule rack on top of the 86 when you need it, problem solved.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
A gr Yaris/corolla with the small brake kit for 15” wheels/knobby tires & some longer travel gravel type coilovers

Just ignore the pot holes

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Full Collapse posted:

Well it is a Camry lol. Still a better option than the hybrid imo unless you gotta have the fuel economy.

It's a shame that the Camry is hybrid only now.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
GR Corolla is sorta packaged like poo poo and has noticeably less room inside than a Golf R even though it’s larger on the outside. Yes I am bitter because I want one but am not willing to return to near-Fiesta-ST levels of interior room. So I bought a Civic Type R. But if you only regularly have one passenger and don’t often need to carry large things the GRC is a cool car.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
That 2025 Camry looks absolutely terrible. I know the current one is way too busy visually, but I still think it looks kinda pretty. The new one seems like it has a budget version of Lexus Mouth.

Hybrid is nice, but only the one engine option with a CVT on all trims seems like consumers lost choice there.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

The new camry rules. It's gonna be such a good daily car and in today's bonkers price world its a good value. It looks way better than the new accord to me which honda really screwed up.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

GD_American posted:

That 2025 Camry looks absolutely terrible. I know the current one is way too busy visually, but I still think it looks kinda pretty. The new one seems like it has a budget version of Lexus Mouth.

Hybrid is nice, but only the one engine option with a CVT on all trims seems like consumers lost choice there.

Literally no Camry buyer will care that it has a CVT, also SavageGeese says it’s fine. The market will never sufficiently offer options to an internet enthusiast degree, as much as we would want it to.

Will never get over how different the audible RPM drone is, but the efficiency gains do seem impressive for these low output engines.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Inner Light posted:

Literally no Camry buyer will care that it has a CVT, also SavageGeese says it’s fine. The market will never sufficiently offer options to an internet enthusiast degree, as much as we would want it to.

Will never get over how different the audible RPM drone is, but the efficiency gains do seem impressive for these low output engines.

So a V6 and 8 speed trans is an enthusiast option in a Camry now? :v:

It's always been offered until now that's the point he was making, no choice anymore because they're getting rid of the V6 completely so get them while you can!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

So a V6 and 8 speed trans is an enthusiast option in a Camry now? :v:

…Yes? Have you been living in a rock under the sea in Bikini Bottom for the last 15 years? Those are enthusiast things in almost any middle tier car these days. No one bought the V6 and that’s why it’s dead now

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 22, 2024

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Yeah i would love to try a GR corolla, sadly those are not sold here and if they are they will carry a massive premium, hot hatches in general are not sold here in good numbers and when they are they are massively overpriced. They do sell the Elantra N here so ill give it a try since its the same price range as the XSE.

To give you a picture as to how bad it is, For example, a golf GTI in the west is 31,000 usd msrp, over here its 48,000 usd, a golf R here costs 60,000 usd. its beyond insane.

Civic type R's are 56,000 dollars. Which is Lexus/Highest trim Toyota Crown territory.

The toyota crown majesta, the highest trim, costs 52,000 usd.

At those prices, not only are they extremely high for me, i could instead afford a land cruiser and would go for that instead. Because the premium trim land cruiser here is 62,000 usd.

The current highest ultra premium toyota camry here, the lumiere, costs 40,000 USD. Maximum. So its really hard for me to ignore that sort of bang for my buck.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 22, 2024

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Al-Saqr posted:

They do sell the Elantra N here so ill give it a try since its the same price range as the XSE.

Elantra N is an incredible car for the $ but you have to decide where you fit along the line of good driving dynamics vs. comfort. It's a blast to drive but you can get a more comfortable, more luxurious car for the same money or less. And you have to decide if you're willing to deal with Hyundai for problems or maintenance.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

grahm posted:

Elantra N is an incredible car for the $ but you have to decide where you fit along the line of good driving dynamics vs. comfort. It's a blast to drive but you can get a more comfortable, more luxurious car for the same money or less. And you have to decide if you're willing to deal with Hyundai for problems or maintenance.

Yeah i generally love hyundai cars and theyve given me good service and the maintenance has been good overall, but id be lying to myself if i said i can live with a pure sports tuned car in one of the most uneven and suspension-killing streets on earth.

If i was living in europe with those perfectly flat roads its a complete no brainer i would get the GR corolla or Golf R sight unseen. absolutely.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Full Collapse posted:

GR Corolla sounds great for, "I like the GR86, but need more than just space for a couple carry-ons."

I know the GR86 seats fold down and a set of tires can fit, but everyday practicality imo is better with a hatch due to the lack of rear shelf.

GRC has been pretty solid for me so far. I’ve always liked the 86, but didn’t want to deal with getting a kid in and out of the back. Or make them suffer. It’s a hoot in the canyons, and was fairly comfortable for a road trip.

The tech is present but not invasive. Has a couple knobs and good steering wheel controls. Outside of changing a couple settings(mainly the lane keep assist) when I first got it I rarely have to use the touch screen.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

grahm posted:

GR Corolla is sorta packaged like poo poo and has noticeably less room inside than a Golf R even though it’s larger on the outside. Yes I am bitter because I want one but am not willing to return to near-Fiesta-ST levels of interior room. So I bought a Civic Type R. But if you only regularly have one passenger and don’t often need to carry large things the GRC is a cool car.

came from a beater scion tc i had for the past few years to a gr corolla in december and the reduction in trunk space (especially due to the battery raising the floor) is quite disappointing but that's basically my only complaint (other than my commute being so short my oil temps don't fully get up there by the time I get to work so i can't really rag on it on my way in). it's one hell of a fun car and for the occasions i have to move stuff around from work campus to campus the 4 doors are nice

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Inner Light posted:

…Yes? Have you been living in a rock under the sea in Bikini Bottom for the last 15 years? Those are enthusiast things in almost any middle tier car these days. No one bought the V6 and that’s why it’s dead now

Jesus Christ, never thought I'd see the day that a V6 Camry is a loving "enthusiast" car.....This is still AI right?

I guess grandma and grandpa are enthusiasts now cuz they want a V6 in their Camry :v:

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Jesus Christ, never thought I'd see the day that a V6 Camry is a loving "enthusiast" car.....This is still AI right?

I guess grandma and grandpa are enthusiasts now cuz they want a V6 in their Camry :v:

On top of that, the V6 is great, but the Camry doesn’t know what to do with it beyond short bursts. The gearbox is still tuned for efficiency and comfort, and the power still goes to the front wheels. The result is an absolutely hilarious and lovable vehicle, but it’s not ‘good’ in a sports sedan sense.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
A 90s Toyota Corolla is an enthusiast car now

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

morothar posted:

On top of that, the V6 is great, but the Camry doesn’t know what to do with it beyond short bursts. The gearbox is still tuned for efficiency and comfort, and the power still goes to the front wheels. The result is an absolutely hilarious and lovable vehicle, but it’s not ‘good’ in a sports sedan sense.

Yeah most of us understand that I think :v:

The V6 and 8 speed is the luxury (and best imo) option, way smoother and way more quiet than the buzzy four cylinder, and cheaper than a Lexus ES350 basically.

If Toyota was putting an LSD in them and tuning the motor/trans for performance like they should have done for the TuRD Camry then maybe we'd be having a different conversation :v:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

4s are really good these days. Hard to justify a v6 in something like a Camry

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the hybrid 4 is a great powertrain for a family sedan and those of you longing for the V6 camry should get better dreams

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The hybrid powertrain is good too, I've owned a car with one, but I prefer the V6 overall :shrug:

If you wanna call that longing and dreaming ok I guess lol

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

His Divine Shadow posted:

A 90s Toyota Corolla is an enthusiast car now

I mean, kind of. The list of people driving a 90s Corolla in TYOOL 2024 are:

1. Enthusiasts of 90s Corollas
2. Some random person in California or Arizona where a 1990s Corolla hasn't rusted in to oblivion yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The death of the fast Accord with the current generation of Accord is more of a bummer than the death of a car that only existed in press fleets