Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I'm not entirely sure why, but I thought it'd be a good idea to read Best Served Cold first. I'm about 100 pages into The Blade Itself now and a few things make a little bit more sense now.

I used to get annoyed at people who said "Jim Butcher/JK Rowling has flaws as a writer, but...", but now I get to say that about Joe Abercrombie. I love the hell out of what I've read so far, and the guy can weave a drat good tale, but I find the gripes about Butcher repeating phrases and themes and whatnot are applicable to Abercrombie too, only a lot more noticeable.

All that said, I can't wait to get through the First Law trilogy. As a fantasy hater, I can say the man comes proper with his poo poo. Looking forward to bugging my friends into reading his books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

nutnmunch posted:

Really, you aren't a fan of the repeating thing? I thought it was pretty cool, especially in the case of Logan.

I don't mind that, though I don't think it's great or anything. I'm talking more about phrases he reuses a lot, like horses eyes rolling madly when they're injured, such and such a person being a black outline against the blue sky. There're a couple more I can't think of the top of my head. It's such a stupid thing to complain about, considering how much I'm enjoying him so far. More of an observation, I guess.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I'm glad Bremer dan Gorst is getting a central role in Heroes. It's one of my favorite things about Abercrombie, how he weaves his characters throughout his disparate stories.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I mentioned it in this thread a few months ago, but I read Best Served Cold first. The weirdest thing was that it was a fairly realistic, straight forward fantasy story until a magic element was introduced with Shenkt. It was almost like a From Dusk 'Til Dawn swerve out of nowhere. Then, reading First Law right afterwards, it was miracles all up in this bitch. While it was kinda neat reading the trilogy as a prequel, I'm kicking myself a bit for not reading it in the proper order.

As to whether Best Served Cold is a good stand alone novel, I loved the hell out of it enough to pick up the rest of the books and I had no problem following the story.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I'm listening to the audio books at work. I'm up to The Heroes right now, just a few hours in. I can't decide if the reader's Gorst voice is the best thing or the worst thing.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Crespolini posted:

it's great. my personal theory is that gorsts voice in the first trilogy is what he actually sounds like, and his voice in the subsequent books is what he thinks he sounds like

Huh. That's actually kinda brilliant.

The scene after the first battle in The Heroes where Shivers super casually starts sliding his little pen knife into the prisoner over and over and over after the guy calls him Dow's dog made my loving skin crawl.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

What's the general consensus on the trilogy following Red Country? I've seen some bitching and moaning about it in a few places, but I didn't dig too deep into it because I trust randos on the internet far less than most goons.

Getting into the third act of Red Country right now. I get the feeling a lot of loose ends are gonna get tied up here. Really enjoying it.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Oops

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Harton posted:

Red country is so good

It really is. I'm about 100 pages from finishing it. It sags in a couple parts, but it might be my favorite Abercrombie behind maybe The Heroes. The tone and the setting are working for me, big time.

I really hope it sticks the landing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

my favorite is sharp ends. i love how abercrombie crafts stories that he knows he doesnt have to finish, and i think hes strongest in single chapters/short stories

I'm sticking with the publication order, but I thought about jumping the line for Sharp Ends. I like a good collection a short stories.