Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Eric the Mauve posted:

In this specific case (every company in an industry doing layoffs at about the same time) it serves a purpose beyond merely hivemind twitching: flooding the labor market with supply keeps labor costs down.

Oh yeah just like how they collude on hiring too, the fuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just excused myself halfway through a meeting cause my cat was making The Noise and throwing up. Sadly it wasn't just an excuse. Poor baby has been throwing up hairballs lately I think/hope it's just the weather getting warmer causing her to shed more :(

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

priznat posted:

Oh yeah just like how they collude on hiring too, the fuckers.

I don't know if there's actually real rear end collusion outside the top end of the tech industry and maybe the medical/nursing industry. Soft collusion sure.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't know if there's actually real rear end collusion outside the top end of the tech industry and maybe the medical/nursing industry. Soft collusion sure.

I was referring to that one a while back where google and other companies had some under the table agreements or whatever. I know they’re still up to that poo poo!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

priznat posted:

I was referring to that one a while back where google and other companies had some under the table agreements or whatever. I know they’re still up to that poo poo!

Yep, a huge pile of major SV techs and biotech companies were involved in that over here.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yes that's why I said "outside of the top end of the tech industry"!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Just say FAANG or whatever it’s called now!

(Get rekt Netflix)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Netflix was only ever included because you can't use FAAG for an acronym

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

priznat posted:

(Get rekt Netflix)

It wasn't just FAANG though. It was more like FAANGBGMPSN where those are Bristol Myers-Squibb, Genentech, Merck, Pfizer, Snowflake, Novartis... You name it, they were loving around with shady collusion on hiring. IIRC the list had like 50-75 companies on it?

(I know you know this and Eric does too, but for the lurkers reading along at home, yeah.)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

priznat posted:

(Get rekt Netflix)

I heard it was MANGA :nyoron:

Microsoft, Apple, Netflix, Google, Amazon

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
While at a company event today one of the other group leaders pulled me aside and offered to act as a surrogate group leader since they don’t want me or half my group to up and go.

Meanwhile I’m continuing my job hunt…

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I remember learning in business school that studies on layoffs show that they typically have long-term negative impacts on companies that do them, and yet they go on and have layoffs anyway.

Tech vibes in Seattle I'd say morale is in the gutter, with people unsure if their job is safe and people that don't like their job having a really difficult time finding new roles. I myself spent about 10 months trying to find a job. But hey those profits never looked better! Anything for the shareholders.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Boss countered me, decently too. More pay, stock all of a sudden, bump to management in 6-9 months. But, all the red flags remain in place. I told him the job he’s asking me to do is literally piss off the president, and he said I should revel in making him uncomfortable. I don’t see that as a fantastic plan, despite a potentially super sexy awesome amazeballs career path. loving legendary, but very low odds.

And then I remembered how I’m still wearing boots from my last job cuz a director told me not buy new ones to save money.

Tnuctip fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 24, 2024

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Tnuctip posted:

And then I remembered how I’m still wearing boots from my last job cuz a director told me not buy new ones to save money.
Tell me more about these boots, are they comfortable? have they served you well over these years?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Tnuctip posted:

Boss countered me, decently too. More pay, stock all of a sudden, bump to management in 6-9 months.

This is, in itself, a huge red flag. Jump.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Tell me more about these boots, are they comfortable? have they served you well over these years?

They are very comfy, as not a “light” person they provide excellent support. Timberland Pro work boots are a solid win. The standard work line does not have standard anti funk technology, which is a very nice feature.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is, in itself, a huge red flag. Jump.

6-9 months sounds like a good time frame for OP to train a replacement and then suddenly there's no budget/opening for a management position.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Mustang posted:

I remember learning in business school that studies on layoffs show that they typically have long-term negative impacts on companies that do them, and yet they go on and have layoffs anyway.

Why did they not study something relevant like the impact layoffs have on the executives lifetime compensation?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Quackles posted:

I heard it was MANGA :nyoron:

Microsoft, Apple, Netflix, Google, Amazon

Meta not Microsoft, the acronym changed when Facebook renamed.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Midjack posted:

Meta not Microsoft, the acronym changed when Facebook renamed.

FANGA?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mustang posted:

Tech vibes in Seattle I'd say morale is in the gutter, with people unsure if their job is safe and people that don't like their job having a really difficult time finding new roles. I myself spent about 10 months trying to find a job. But hey those profits never looked better! Anything for the shareholders.

Typical MBA tiers of data analysis to not control for the fact that companies that do a layoff round are more likely to be underperforming

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Sundae posted:

I'm thinking about opening my e-mails with a mad-libs style arrangement.

I hope this e-mail finds you well. I hope this e-mail finds you carbon-based. I hope this e-mail finds you eventually, alive and safe. I hope this e-mail finds your missing TV remote. I hope this e-mail finds you screaming and covered in bees.

I hope this email finds you before I do.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

evobatman posted:

I hope this email finds you because the light of heaven NEVER WILL

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

evobatman posted:

Thomas Ligotti?

Itaipava
Jun 24, 2007
I hope this email finds you in a well!

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Tnuctip posted:

Boss countered me, decently too. More pay, stock all of a sudden, bump to management in 6-9 months. But, all the red flags remain in place. I told him the job he’s asking me to do is literally piss off the president, and he said I should revel in making him uncomfortable. I don’t see that as a fantastic plan, despite a potentially super sexy awesome amazeballs career path. loving legendary, but very low odds.

Unless there is a contract saying that in 9 months you get 10 Billion golden unicorns I would just assume that will never happen. Rest of the stuff will just get you a bad reputation with a powerful rear end in a top hat. If you boss wants to push the presidents buttons so bad he can do it him self and take the lashing that will come with it.

gently caress counter offers, pack your poo poo and move on.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I would like, in an ideal world, to go a year or two without any major world government deciding to ban or sanction my employer for bs reasons. Sensible reasons are ok.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Itaipava posted:

I hope this email finds you in a well!

No! We're supposed to keep each other OUT of the well!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Tnuctip posted:

I told him the job he’s asking me to do is literally piss off the president, and he said I should revel in making him uncomfortable.

Yeah I'm sure your boss is going to throw himself in front of you when this particular hail of bullets comes your way.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I per last email finds you my

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
The company sends a monthly “recognitions” email. Literally all of them are “So and so routinely stays after hours or logs in on weekends to make sure we meet quota. What a team player!”.

Thinking of collaging the most egregious ones, pasting them in the next town hall chat, and asking how this matches with the CEO’s directive that no one should be working more than their regular hours.

I’m bored enough here that I might actually do it, too.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Beefeater1980 posted:

I would like, in an ideal world, to go a year or two without any major world government deciding to ban or sanction my employer for bs reasons. Sensible reasons are ok.

That seems to say a lot about your choices of employers.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

We're now on the 5th iteration of this stupid timeline and the format now involves colouring cells in Excel and then dragging shapes around. I said that this was some 90s poo poo and I was just going to provide things in my format and they could copy it in. Also my boss is fed up with the PM function completely.

But I still have to update the same PowerPoint summary slides 4 times over because of all the stupid variants they have it's infuriating.

I've tipped dangerously close to "I could probably write an application that would do this for me...." territory.

Eric the Mauve posted:

GODDAMMIT ERIC QUOTE IS NOT loving EDIT

Please remove me from this mailing list.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Me too

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I wish I could average out my discomfort with networking small talk and comfort with presenting to large groups. Just become a solid B at both.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Lockback posted:

That seems to say a lot about your choices of employers.

Or other people's choices of government!

But yeah, sounds like a good point to raise at the next annual review re: compensation.

Smif-N-Wessun
Jan 18, 2009

P.U.S.H.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Netflix was only ever included because you can't use FAAG for an acronym

Excellent.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

tactlessbastard posted:

New CEO since January has now decided to shake up the corporate reporting structure so they had an all hands meeting at t-3 hours from my normal start time to roll this out.

The only change for us here in the boondocks is that my great-great-grandboss in NYC now reports to a new person.

I absolutely hate these massive reorg announcement meetings, I usually try to skip them and then just ask whoever actually went if anything relevant is happening to my org. Saves 2 hours of execs jerking each other off while I just do work in the background anyway.

Mustang posted:

Sure, but wha-

pseudanonymous posted:

Why did they not study something relevant like the impact layoffs have on the executives lifetime compensation?

gently caress, beaten.

Actually, given that The Board is usually onboard with the changes, I'm curious if they studied how long the members on the board contribute to have stock in the company, or some other financial stake that would be affected.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Volmarias posted:

I absolutely hate these massive reorg announcement meetings, I usually try to skip them and then just ask whoever actually went if anything relevant is happening to my org. Saves 2 hours of execs jerking each other off while I just do work in the background anyway.

To quote myself:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

lmao that video rules