Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

*Gives rats plenty of comfy places to sleep with bedding and plush surfaces, etc.*

Rat: Actually, I think I'd prefer to nap in the toilet, thanks.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Rats have transcended our limited human understanding of comfort.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i love catching all three of my boys huddled up together. it's nice until the inevitable wrestle

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
One of my rats appears to have hurt his rear leg. First couple of days he was holding it pretty tight to his body he’s gradually been putting weight on it but it doesn’t really splay anymore and he’s been dragging it a bit. Anyone else deal with this? All my reading says there’s gently caress all a vet will do other than pain management and he’s not really giving big “pain vibes”. He was definitely super excited to get treats a minute ago.

I’m not even sure how it happened but I’m assuming he picked a fight with his brother in a hammock and fell out.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
How long has it been since he hurt his leg and how old is the rat?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Pretty young and about 5 days.

Edit: I did call the vet and they basically shrugged at me and said they could give metacam if he was in major pain and had swelling, I’m just curious to know if that’s normal or I need a new vet.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Rats are pretty hardy. In my experience, major swelling/inflammation is a sign of a break but don't confuse it with bumblefoot.

Do your rats have flat platforms to walk on or do they have wire platforms? Given what you said about a potential fall I doubt it's bumblefoot but if their foot/leg is sore they might not like the pressure that wire/uneven flooring puts on it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
It would help if you could take a picture of the foot.

If he just fell out and sprained his foot, without breaking it, then he should be fine after 1-2 weeks after the injury.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

In the meantime, you should definitely give them yogies. Lots of yogies.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Scholtz posted:

In the meantime, you should definitely give them yogies. Lots of yogies.

This post was written by a rat.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Scholtz posted:

Rats are pretty hardy. In my experience, major swelling/inflammation is a sign of a break but don't confuse it with bumblefoot.

Do your rats have flat platforms to walk on or do they have wire platforms? Given what you said about a potential fall I doubt it's bumblefoot but if their foot/leg is sore they might not like the pressure that wire/uneven flooring puts on it.

Nah the only time they can touch bare wire is when they try to spider rat up the side. I got them a big ferret cage and it did have a wire bottom but I covered that with a piece of cut to size plastic along with some plastic walls to make a custom basin.

Edit: he’s getting plenty of treats during his convalescent stay at “hotel ground level”. I may even build him a new rat house out of popsicle sticks soon.

I’ll take a pic when the wife gets home.

Double edit: best I could do without wife assistance. He puts weight on it while sitting around but won’t use it to struggle out of my hand and tends to drag it when walking.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 15, 2023

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Looks alright to me. Is there any pink/redness under the hair, or any shininess from taut/swollen skin?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
That doesn't look bad. I'd say wait another week before worrying, especially since it seems to be getting better.

I've had several rats hurt their feet like that and they all healed on their own in 1-2 weeks, no problems. Just make sure he has access to food and water without having to climb.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Yeah I have bowls at ground level for him, and his brother Sandwich (His name is Soup) has decided that he’s going to be ground level in solidarity.

I think it’s been getting better as the first few days he had it pulled up into his side and now he’s letting it rest.

I think tonight they will get their favorite treat. The Egg.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

His brother is gonna be such a dick and abscond with that egg immediately.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
You should be nice to the hurt boy and slice that egg so the brother isn't going to steal everything.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I've had rats who loved egg and some who would refuse it. Divisive, the simple egg.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I always split the egg and give each half.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I never had rats that didn't go absolutely feral for eggs and meat.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I put the still warm mostly still covered in meat carcass of a cooked chicken in the cage and it was completely ignored. Peas, though, take your finger off for em.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Jaded Burnout posted:

I put the still warm mostly still covered in meat carcass of a cooked chicken in the cage and it was completely ignored.

What the gently caress?
Every rat I've had would kill for some chicken bones.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

ikr

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Put a sealed bag of Doritos in the cage and see how long it takes them

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

The ol' razzle dazzle

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

rattle dattle

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Since I got the two little guys a couple of weeks ago, I feel like my two older boys have gotten way more active and are having less problems with their chronic sickness.

I really should be trying to have 4 rats as much as possible.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Rat friends thank you for your words of support it is my happy duty to report that soups foot is fully healed, I’d take a picture of me holding him like he owes me money but he is a wiggly little poo poo with RAT ANXIETY.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Hooray! Time for a celebratory egg

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Excellent

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Not pictured, the fourth boy sulking alone on the other end of the cage, because he was a big butt and chased away everyone else.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

love when they rub heads

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Chaos potatoes.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
My girl peppermint passed last sunday leaving me ratless so please continue to post pics of your rats being cute and give them treats and stuff

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

2 Saturdays ago, Simon had a stroke. Was pretty scary, he lost control of half his body, and had a pretty serious seizure.

At present, he's got most of his motor skills back, finally regained bladder control and figured out how to drink from the water bottle again.

He's got one "Biden Debate" eye, so we've been calling him Mr President a lot.

At present, it seems like half his face is numb, and he keeps dinging it up/getting bitten on it when he tries to scrap and gets his butt kicked.

Currently hitting him up twice a day with anti biotics as he's got 3 cuts on his face and that eyeball is pretty funky, but he seems pretty unbothered. Probably going to put him on very low doses of children's asprin later in the week.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Awe, poor boy. I hope he gets better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
One of my babies seems to be a little runt boy.
They're both 12 weeks old but one weighs 320g,the normal weight, while the other one is 250g.