Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Xeras posted:

Not peanut butter. I have read they can have a hard time with getting it down. Baby food though on a finger

I already use peanut butter a lot for mixing meds in. It's fine as long as you mix it with something that makes it thicker, so it doesn't stick to their throats.
Chilling and/or aerifying it with a toothpick it work too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
We've been giving ours baby food (human baby food, Gerber) as a treat for a long time. Once I was buying just baby food and Scotch at the store and a guy said "I hope you're not mixing those."

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

All rat food is baby food, technically

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 16 minutes!
ive never hosed with peanut butter, poo poo's too much a risk. gerber poo poo like animal-mother mentioned is the way to go imo

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
ive had boys and girls and theyve all gone gaga for Gerber

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

When my rats needed to go on antibiotics, I mixed it with meat based baby food - it was easier than the burrito method, particularly when I needed to get it done and get on my way to work in the mornings. They go nuts for the stuff, and my girls definitely fattened up a bit before they were done with their meds.

Down side, though: I don't think they've forgiven me for cutting them off of the stuff when all was said and done.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Jack Trades posted:

I already use peanut butter a lot for mixing meds in. It's fine as long as you mix it with something that makes it thicker, so it doesn't stick to their throats.
Chilling and/or aerifying it with a toothpick it work too.

Oh I apologize then! I was just going based on what I had read and didn't want anything unfortunate to happen

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Xeras posted:

Oh I apologize then! I was just going based on what I had read and didn't want anything unfortunate to happen

It's a good warning just in case.
Peanut butter just out of the jar the rats will absolutely choke on.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Every morning I curse my mortal form for not having enough hands to pet all my rats at the same time.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Jack Trades posted:

Every morning I curse my mortal form for not having enough hands to pet all my rats at the same time.

Should have taken the extra limbs mutation.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

This morning I was thinking, I should get rats again. I still have the cage and play stuff. Then I remember the medical costs and the heartbreak and having to find a pet sitter and think no.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Yeah, I'm pet-sitting some rats for my friends who just pet-sat mine. Two babies and one old, old lady. And my lady is old too and had surgery. We go to the same vet, who is an absolute soldier, and I really hope I don't have to call them.

The trouble with these creatures is that they're very good at hiding how ill they are until it's way too late. Not that there's a cure for old age, anyway.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

I have so much scientific curiosity for them

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

So this has been my first time doing fleece-lined platforms instead of bedding, so I ended up sewing liners for the big platforms as well as the bottom one. I've also got hammocks set up for my rats, but I've learned they'd rather chew holes into the underside of the platform liners and make their own hammocks:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Rat knows better.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
I give my rats a small bowl of yogurt twice a day because they go crazy for it and I can't help myself from spoiling them.

Recently they started to alternate between dramatically licking the empty bowl and staring at me.

Little manipulative assholes.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Aww, they're training you!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Lauren has a wound that will not heal. Vet said this happens sometimes to the older ones. She's been on antibiotics for a while and we put Sulfadiazine on the injury. She's old and huge, so while the vet thinks the thing can be removed surgically, that's not necessarily a great option. And vet stuff has gotten a lot more expensive in the last couple years.

Oh well.

Animal-Mother fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 29, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
https://hbr.org/2015/01/rats-can-be-smarter-than-people

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
rats are smarter than people

the totem is dogs > rats > people, ive not enough research to decide where cats go

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Fuzzies. :3

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Playtime is thirsty work!

Yes, there is a second water bottle in the cage. Yes, they're responsible for pushing their teepee that close to it. Sometimes I see three rats at that bottle at once after playtime.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
yeah i gave up on having 2 different bottles when i'd constantly come across all 3 boys locked in the war for water. i'm sure if i had 4 it'd be no different

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Look at this ridiculous looking child.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Gosh I love seeing these rats.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Mr Devious

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

My boys tucking themselves in.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
One of my rats decided that pooping into the toilet takes too much effort and that placing only his front paws into the toilet before pooping is good enough.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
lol. owned

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

One of my rats decided that pooping into the toilet takes too much effort and that placing only his front paws into the toilet before pooping is good enough.

they got your rear end

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
https://youtu.be/bV2JrFIaChs

Two boys destroying a mint plant. There's some cute yawns.

10 seconds after the video, I looked away and they instantly uprooted it completely.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
This old gal is retiring to a smaller cage now that her back legs don't work so good and climbing up and down the ramps of the big cage is quite the hassle. It's like moving into a bungalow.

She's alone but we shower her with attention and she seems happy in her advanced years. This will almost certainly be the last rat I'll have for quite a while, maybe ever. They live short lives and vet stuff has gotten a lot more expensive lately.

Animal-Mother fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 22, 2024

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
And that was that. She had an appointment to get euthanized but she passed quietly in her sleep in her comfy hammock. I kinda knew she wasn't gonna make it to the morning. I hope I have half a life as good as that rat had.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Animal-Mother posted:

And that was that. She had an appointment to get euthanized but she passed quietly in her sleep in her comfy hammock. I kinda knew she wasn't gonna make it to the morning. I hope I have half a life as good as that rat had.

Sorry brother

You did well by that ratto

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
it's nice when they can pass away in the comfort of their own home. wishing the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

She's pissing down at us from rat heaven