Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
My girlfriend has a 1 year old rat (male). Sometimes he sneeze and we can hear squealing a little when he's breathing. This doesn't occur all the time. Some day he does, some day he doesn't. The rat lives alone in a dust-free litter cage and eat vet adult-rat food.

After some research, I'm wondering if could be a mild case of mycoplasma? But he doesn't squeal or sneeze all the time.

If he has mycoplasma... What about Doxycycline?

I've found great information here: http://ratguide.com/health/bacteria/mycoplasma_mycoplasmosis.php

Can we administer the rat (named Totoro) the medication "just in case"? Can it be dangerous if he doesn't have mycoplasma?

I've found a nice way to administer Totoro the medication here:

http://dovetailrats.wordpress.com/2011/02/26/candy-for-your-babies-doxycycline-medicine-balls/

I've already bought this but it's still unopened:

http://www.jedds.com/-strse-1094/DOXYCYCLINE-20-pct--100-g/Detail.bok

What's your thoughts about it? Thanks alot! :)

PS: By the way, I live in Quebec so we can have 30C in summer and -30C in winter... the room is temperated, the cage isn't near a window and the rat sleeps in a ferret hammock with rags to keep him warm. We try to keep the room at the same temperature but it's hard with these temperature variations... I can say that the room temp can fluctuate from 18C to 30C (30 in summer... no A/C in the appartment)
(sorry for my bad English)

ShiroTheSniper fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

Big Bug Hug posted:

If he's eating and drinking and acting normal perhaps just keep an eye on him in case it gets worse. But I have had several rats who had the occasional noisy breath while they were perfectly healthy(for rats).

Thanks alot! You're reassuring us! :) He's always running around and eating alot (without being overweight) so I guess he's perfectly fine! :)

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Hi. I usually don't post here but sometimes I come to take a look at your pictures. Before I met my girlfriend, I didn't know much about rats. Since then, I love these little angels...

I felt the urge to post something here.

Yesterday, her rat died. She was out of the city for some days and I was taking care of Totoro, her one year and a half male rat. He was on his second treatment of Doxycycline in 2 months. Then, he suddenly had a respiratory distress and called the vet emergency. I drove to the vet office and the prognosis: need to be euthanized.

RIP Totoro, you'll be missed alot. You were super cool. She never had a rat this social and kind.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

Big Bug Hug posted:

Totoro was a beautiful rat. I can see how happy he was in the photos. I'm sorry you lost him. It's always hard. :(

Thanks for your words. Appreciated.

I'm planning to gift my girlfriend with a new cage in 2-3 months, before she has another(s) rat(s).

I took a closer look at Martin's Cage. I want one! I'm in love with them now. But drat I'm in Canada and it would cost me 100$ in shipping only! And Amazon.ca doesn't have a nice choice.

Can anyone suggest me something? Didn't take a look in petshops around here but I'm sure their prices would be inflated alot. Local adds doesn't have anything nice.

Thanks! :)

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

Patchouli Patrol posted:

https://www.chinchilla.ca operates out of Brampton, ON and they have some awesome cages. If you are local, you can just pick yours up! We got out Critter Nation there.

Thanks for your info...

What's the consensus on this one?

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00IFXFWS4/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?redirect=true&ref_=s9_simh_gw_p199_d0_i4

I'm on a tight budget and plan to get 2 females only. A local breeder told me that it was okay for 2 females. I don't care about the accessories/litter/food in the bundle, I already have some better stuff from the last rat.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I saw it too. Isn't the level too narrow?

17W x 12.75D x 24H

12 inches depth seems narrow too.

2 cage calculators tell me this cage isn't big enough for 2.

What to do :(

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

OMG :D

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Can't wait to give 2 rats and a brand-new cage fully equipped to my girlfriend for her birthday in October. The breeder should have them late that month. Should be a nice surprise.

drat it's hard not to tell her before ahhaha. And I need to hide the new cage for 2 months in my small appartment...

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

Big Bug Hug posted:

Does it flat-pack? Hide it under the bed! Or, gift wrap it REALLY WELL and make it obviously her b day present, and tell her she's not allowed to peek.

I can't hide it under the bed because there's no room to put stuff under. I guess I'll unpack the cage, look if everything is ok and then put it back in the box and use the good old "Don't open the office room closet"... well before the rats are in :)

I'll assemble the cage and all the material before I get the rats.

Question: Would you prefer to get the surprise of a brand-new cage full of rats or would you prefer to go get them at the breeder's (without knowing where we go) and discover the cage at home after?

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Ok thanks for your input! :) I guess it will be a surprise trip :)

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Hi!

I just got a brand new Rat Resort for 2 futures baby females rats.

Because it's a gift and I'm an amateur, I need to help with the accessories. I'm ok with the food/snacks/bedding. I want to surprise her with a full equip cage. I don't care if I need to buy many things because I've a big budget for her birthday (I'm rich for her eheh).

Here's my questions:

Bed: Is a big ferret hammock ok for 2 rats or should I buy 2 smaller hammock? Should I put them at different levels?

Food bowl (ceramic): Is one is enough or should buy 2? Different level?

Water: One big bottle is enough?

Toys: This is where I need your help. I thought about a little ball (for cats), some little wooden chewtoys, empty toilet paper roll... what else?

Other: The good old tissue box (without the plastic thing) is a must for a weekly shelter to chew on.

Thanks for your inputs, you'll help me make her really happy (and the little ones too)!

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks alot for your ideas! Next few weeks I'm going to fully equip that cage! :) Can't wait!

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Ahaha big fat rat :)

But drat, I'm in emergency mode. The only breeder in my city closes his doors. I won't be able to get my 2 baby girls :(

And I don't have any breeder around here, I would need to do a ride of 3+ hours for the closest breeder. drat :(

I guess I'll be forced to buy some rats at the petshop... I don't like that :(

Any idea fellow goons?

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

Chin Strap posted:

Is there a rat rescue somewhere decent?

No :( It sucks...

Big Bug Hug posted:

Is that 3 hours total or each way?

3 hours each way so it's a 6 hours drive. And that it's IF the breeder in the next city is still open, no answer for now.

Any tips of things to look at with rats in petshops?

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Oh my god good news! I finally found a breeder in the classified ads. I spoke to her and she seems to know what she's doing!

Look at them! (pictured around their birth, september 2nd)

:3: :3: :3:

The father (Himalayan Dumbo Rex):

The mother (Siamese Dumbo):

I'll have more picture later when they grow up so that I can select which ones I want! :)

ShiroTheSniper fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 15, 2014

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
More pictures from the breeder!

They opened their eyes that day. I'll have more photos soon took individually, with the sex. Can't wait!

Looooook at theeeeeeeeem! :D

:3::3::3::3:

EDIT:

OH GOD! I'M MELTING!

ShiroTheSniper fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 16, 2014

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Here's the choice I had for the baby girls!

It was tough to choose only two. My choices: #4 and #10 :)

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

CompactFanny posted:

Breeders that can't spell female :wtc:

Well... Because it's in french?

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

Invalid Octopus posted:

Agreed. If your breeder will let you reserve two based on personality that'd be best. Might not be an option if everyone is reserving tho.

Yeah, wasn't an option. And I wasn't the first to choose. Anyway, can't go wrong with a lazy or hyperactive rat! And the breeder is socializing them already so I guess they won't be scared of the "big magical godly hand".

When you go rat, you never go back!

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
I. Just. Can't. Wait!!!

:3: :3: :3:

If you you don't find them cute, you're a soulless puny human! :)

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Here's more Ratty Babies news!

The Dumbo, named Nezumi (was #4 before):

And the Dumbo Rex, named Yuki (was #10 before):

On October the 4th, I'll bring them home! :)

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
They're now at home and happy! :D

E: More of them, then I'll stop I promise! :)

ShiroTheSniper fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 7, 2014

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Ok ok, here's some more! :)

Kiss! :3:

Camouflaged in the hammock!

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Hi!

My girlfriend has 2 adults rats (females, sisters).

Considering:
To have a cat.

Thinking:
About having an adult male house cat (about 2 years old). We think it should be less inclined to hunt than a female and should be less playfull than a kitten.

Setup:
The cage will be in a closed room when we're leaving the apartment and in plain sight (living room) when we're at home, the door shut with extra binder clips. When we will let the rats out on the couch, it will be on tight supervision.

Questionning:
How can we introduce the cat with the rats?

Extra information:
We bought the baby rats from a breeder who owned many dogs/cats in her house. So, the mother was in contact with cats (I dunno if it changes something).

Thanks alot! :)

EDIT: Don't know if I should post this in the cat thread too.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Hi!

One of my 2 rats started acting/moving strangely for 3-4 weeks. She's 1 year and a half. When eating, she won't keep the food in her front paws. She drops the food on the floor and eat it there. She has difficulties climbing her ramps. The back legs seems ok.

We went to the vet and the vet told us that could be a neurological problem because the rat shows no physical problem (no tumor, heart and lungs are fine, no mouth/teeth problem). The rat answer to the pain when the vet pinches the front paws.

She now starts falling off the levels of the cage (this one: https://www.amazon.ca/Living-World-61850-Resort-Starter/dp/B00IFXFWS4) and it could be dangerous. She seems to have zero strength with the front paws.

First, any idea what her problem might be? And I wonder how can I expand the flooring of the levels to minimize the chances of falling down. As you see on the cage, the levels don't cover all the cage lenght. What can I use to expand the levels so if she climbs, she won't fall?

I saw ideas here for the ramps but nothing about the floors: http://www.joinrats.com/RatHealth/MultiLevelCages/i-gnVVDk8

Thanks for your help!

(sorry for my English)

EDIT: And by the way, I've 2 ferret hammocks suspended at the top level in the empty space for them to sleep. They're close to the upper ramp and level ledges so I would only need a full flooring on the middle level. And I'm in an apartment. I don't have access to a saw bench or anything like that to buy wood and cut it.

ShiroTheSniper fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 26, 2016

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

Invalid Octopus posted:

Pituitary tumour. It will get worse, probs quite suddenly as well. There are drugs you can get to slow progression a bit but tbh I always euth at the first signs of one since the development is so wretched and the animal is likely in pain (humans with pituitary tumours are).

Sh*t. Thanks :( Poor thing :(

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

Parpy posted:

I hope that's what it is, and not a pituitary tumor. Is your veterinarian trained in exotics or is he/she a run-of-the-mill dogs & cats vet? You might want to shop around for an exotic vet if you can for your rats, given yours couldn't identify signs of stroke or brain tumor.

Trained in exotics. I called her and she told me that a pituitary tumor is possible, that or a myelin degeneration. Either way, not much we can do I guess except looking to securise the cage even more... which bring me to my first question of my post... :(

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

ShiroTheSniper posted:

Trained in exotics. I called her and she told me that a pituitary tumor is possible, that or a myelin degeneration. Either way, not much we can do I guess except looking to securise the cage even more... which bring me to my first question of my post... :(

Well we went to put her down last Friday. Poor thing.

Saturday, we went to get a new one because we didn't want the last one (Nezumi) to feel depressed.

Here's Mademoiselle Sushi :

Nothing better to know each other than camping:

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Hi! I've a question for you all. I've a female rat (1.5 years old) who is now alone, her sister died some days ago. She'll need some companionship soon because she's starting to show some grieving signs. She had a suprelorin 4.7mg implant about 3 weeks ago because of a little mammary tumor. It stops estrogen and she is now sterile, according to many medical papers.

I'll love to have 2 new young males because I had females for a long time now. Is it a good idea to have them in the same cage (the cage is big enough)? It's safe to assume she won't be able to conceive but what about mating, will this be too much for her? Do you know if she will keep producing pheromones with that implant (I don't find any info on that)? Will the males be attracted to her?

Thanks for your input!

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

One of my girlfriend's new baby. He looks a little bit stupid on this but it's the kind of stupid that we should all like! :D

(sorry for the bad quality, it's a screencap of a video)

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Oh god. Our last female loved to put her butt against the corner of the cage, lift her tail and spray everything on the wall. But we still loved her :)

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
In case you needed whiskers today!

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
https://i.imgur.com/b7YwjWP.gifv

ShiroTheSniper fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 22, 2021

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

Capn Jobe posted:

We're not ready to commit to the lifespan of another chinchilla, so we're considering getting some rats.

Rats live 2-3 years and believe me, it's long enough to get attached a lot to these little angels :( Be prepared to have many mourning :(

But seeing them like that? worth it:

("Commandant du Popotin" and "Lieutenant de la Frimousse"... translated by "Commander Butt" and "Lieutenant Little Face"

Edit: Try to find this kind of gaps between bars. You will be okay, even with baby rats.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Hurray for Ceasar!

We had to do the same thing for one of our girls some years ago. It was around 550$ (canadian) so I guess it's expensive everywhere for our babies :(

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
One of my Monsieur, Commandant Popotin (Commander Booty).

https://imgur.com/a/V6BWko4

(Sorry, don't know how to embed imgur video on cellphone app)

ShiroTheSniper fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 6, 2022

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Stole this from the #blessed pics thread:

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qusjg9Q8Lm1zonidg.mp4

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Aging like fine wine, don't you think? Well... I'm cheating a little bit, he's like 5-6 months old:

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Nice folds for my "Empereur de la Nudité" (French for "Nudity Emperor")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

yeah actually they will posted:

My girl peppermint passed last sunday leaving me ratless so please continue to post pics of your rats being cute and give them treats and stuff

I need to oblige

What a strange way to sleep. He gave me a little heart attack:

Just chilling (he's a mole right?):

Bonus funny pic: