Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Just feed them lots of treats and they'll love you soon enough. Very adorable babies!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Oh, to have a glimpse of what goes on in their little ray brains. Adorable.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

ThreeStep posted:

Also I heard rats like bandaids but I didn't realize how much until one of them tried to pull my finger off. So now I'm sitting here with them having to hide my thumb and handle them.

Yeah what's up with that? My rats always try to eat my Band-Aids

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Leif (left) and Mina (right) were oddly calm while I took this photo. I don't think I've ever seen them sit still for that long!

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Last Visible Dog posted:

I had an idea for a little rat activity. You take some toilet paper tubes, cut 'em into thirds, tape them together in a little cluster and tape them to a cardboard backing. Then you fill each tube with a little bit of bedding and hide some little treats in them, like bits of tortilla chips. You end up with little foraging tubes that the rats can dig through for the tiny treats.

The rats seemed to catch on pretty quickly and seemed to enjoy digging through them. And then everybody gets grapes afterwards.

I tried that with my rats using a single tube and they just chewed a hole through the side of the tube to get directly to the treat. Maybe I'll try this method but they'll likely flip it over and eat the bottom.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Joda posted:

There are no wrong answers :v:

Yeah it was totally adorable and I was a very proud rat papa for their ingenuity.

Here's a picture of Mina and Leif('s butt) eating carrots on my shoulder:

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

We got these two babies because we had to put down one of our other rats and the remaining one needed company.

These two have come up with an, uh, interesting way to drink:

That's Ratilda on top and Canoodle on bottom.

Also totally adorable how Ratilda looks like she is nursing a mean hangover.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

One of my boys' fur is rusting for some reason, he used to be pure black and now his whole rear end is rusty brown and he's only like, 6 months old.
Both of my boys are total weirdo rats.

He should try wiping

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Canoodle (white) and Ratilda (black) were finally still enough to get a good photo of them!

Love these two goofballs

e: sorry, phone posting and didn't realize the photo was massive

thehoodie fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 16, 2021

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

We were worried about integrating the two new little ones with our old gal Ratilda... I don't think that is a problem!

Ratilda is on the right - I honestly can't tell which is which of the other two. One is Goonie and one is Ratpunzel.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Falstaff posted:

Glad your intros went well! In my purely anecdotal experience, introductions are usually no big deal - but every once in a while personalities clash and fur can fly, so it's best to err on the side of caution.

That pic is actually from a week or so ago, all seems good so far! Ratilda is an old sweetie so she mostly just sleeps and looks cute while the other two play around.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

My blind boy is asleep with his eyes open. Didn't even react to the camera flash.

This is both hilarious and terrifying. So many times I see my rats lying dead still with their eyes open and I have to poke them awake to make sure they aren't dead. And then they get mad at me for waking them up. Sorry, babies!

Anyway, here's a rat tax:

One of them is Goonie and one is Ratpunzel. I can't tell which

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

https://bigrat.monster/

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

What's everyone's favourite song adaptation to sing to their rats?

I've recently been singing to the tune of paint it black "I see a cute rat and I want to give it kisses"

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

My rats hide all their food and then come begging for food immediately. I'm onto you guys...

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

This is amazing. I'm getting some for my gals

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Last Visible Dog posted:

Our rats are having to contend with the fact that their favorite sleeping spot somehow doesn't fit all four of them anymore.

I don't see the problem here? They fit perfectly!

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

dewdrop and tinsel say hi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011