Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Mine love crinkle paper. I just give them a few handfuls and they distribute it to their boxes and nests how they want. Sometimes they throw it all out. Spring cleaning, I guess.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Smoke wasn't feeling good so Ghost crawled over to keep her company.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Ghost has breakfast:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
They expect yogurt for breakfast these days.

They both have small tumors again. Doc can't see them until early November. Hope they don't grow! :shepspends:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Ghost's health has deteriorated pretty sharply in the last couple weeks. Doc says it's probably not just from the tumor. Infection, possibly. To quote Mr. Starbuck on the fate of Queequeg, "I have seen this before, lad. One day, they know they're going to die. They give away all their possessions, they say their goodbyes... and then they just die."

We've got her on Sulfa and Meloxicam.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Ghost Bear has gone on to the great cage in the sky. Her health deteriorated very rapidly just in the last few days. Wouldn't eat, could barely walk, trouble breathing, distended belly. The vet could tell right away that it was time to pay the boatman and cross the river. She was the sweetest of our rats. She was about two years and a month old. Only her sister remains. I don't think I can handle getting her some little buddies. Maybe I'll get a dog, they live for a good while.

Rest in peace, Ghosteño.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The worst part is that Smokey is all alone now. Her older cousins passed and now her sister too. She's never slept alone in her life until now. I can tell she's still very upset. She stopped looking around for Ghost, she's accepted she's gone.

I don't know if we'll get more little ones. I can't do this every year and a half. But, at the same time, I would like Smoke to have some little buddies. I don't know. Maybe we'll discuss it after her surgery.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Jaded Burnout posted:

I found the loss of the last rat far more crushing than any of the others. I pine for the loss of rats in general more than an individual.

I think I know what you mean. The utter finality of death is probably its most powerful weapon.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Ferrets eat rats! Boooo! And not in the fun spooky Halloween sense! Booooo!

I'm just kidding, ferrets are fun pets.

So, we decided to get some little friends for Smoke. Searched shelters around here. We thought, based on the info on their website, that this shelter had three babies. Turns out it's a mama and her two daughters. Some guy was cleaning out his garage and discovered them, realized they were definitely not wild rats, caught them and took them to the shelter. They don't have much rat experience, I think, because they placed them in three separate cages. They were overjoyed to be reunited.

I don't know if mama is a runaway pet or an escaped feeder or what, but she's not quite acclimated to human contact. The babies are little sweethearts, but mom will need extra time before she can really interact with us or with Smoke.

All clean now, but it was a heavily bleeding mess last night. Little mama has strong jaws and sharp teeth.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The new kiddos get their own cage, mama gets her own cage because she was being food aggressive with the babies, and Smoke watches from afar in her giant cage. Everybody can smell everybody, mama's cage is right against theirs, and everybody is much calmer and less bitey. They are realizing they're safe here and we'll keep feeding them. No names yet. Want to see their personalities first. There is a small chance mama is pregnant, which... Well, we'll deal with that if that's the case.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Okay, so mama is giving birth right now. :ohdear:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
They're squeaking. Mama has food and water. They exist comfortably inside a cardboard box obscured by a variety of comfortable stuff.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Mamacita has gotten a lot less bitey. Haven't looked inside the box to see how big the litter is, but they're certainly squeaking. Next door, in a separate cage, their two older sisters, probably almost three months old, are eating dried banana chips. Across the room, in the big cage, good old Smoke is recovering from today's surgery. loving gnarly stapled up surgical scar. They always look insane the first couple days. But she was a real trooper last time she went under, so I think she'll be right as rain in a few days.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
We're having trouble figuring out how to clean mama's cage without getting bitten to poo poo or letting her loose in the apartment, where it would be a real pain to retrieve her. We've got gardening gloves and long sleeves. Any other tips?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Mamacita bit the ever-loving poo poo out of my partner's hand. She's never going to be a suitable pet. We'll keep her for the four or five weeks her newborns need her and then we'll figure out what to do with everybody. Her three month old daughters we will keep. They'll meet Smoke on neutral ground next week, perhaps. Smoke is excited, she really wants to interact with the rats she can smell across the room. Still healing, but leaving the stitches alone and eating all her meds like a trooper. Smoke is probably the strongest rat I've had.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Fifteen babies took a little excursion to a cardboard box while their cage was being cleaned.

https://i.imgur.com/p42LPAF.mp4

Mama took a snack break.

Lauren and Larkin, her older daughters, look on.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Luckily, we've been able to find a rat rescue group that says they've got a lot of people asking about adopting young rats these days. Mamacita and her fifteen babies will find good homes.

Right now, she's taking a nap. You can make out the tail of one of the black ones if you look close.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I'm sorry. :( Truffle was beautiful.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Three gals enjoy breakfast:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Smoke Jaguar is no more. She crawls in the confined spaces of rat heaven now. Her health deteriorated rapidly in the last 48 hours. More accurately, she became unable to hide the pain anymore within that timeframe. All she wanted was to lay on my partner's neck. The vet crew was understanding, as always.

So that's the end of our little tribe from the local pet store. Katja, Antimony, Ghost, and Smoke. Now they are all in God's hands, peeing right on them.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Lauren and Larkin enjoy breakfast in the sun. They grew up fast, they're huge now. They've got the full run of the living room, though we have to keep a close eye on them, lest they destroy the carpet, the books, power cords, etc.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
https://fatmouse.org/

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Hail, Caesar!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Did I hear...

AN OPINION???

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
They're sweeties, but they can look quite menacing:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"We all... float... down here..."

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Rat castle is such a good idea!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
They touched noses. We were just dog-sitting for a couple days.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I don't fits, but I shits.

Animal-Mother fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 19, 2022

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"What? So I am carrying around five pieces of food in my mouth to hide in various places in the cage. So?"

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
God drat it.

https://twitter.com/MeetJess/status/1581094300242169858

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
My little ones have started taking all of the food out of their bowl and hiding it in a couple hidey spots in their cage. They didn't do this before.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
She is vast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
They look like they're about to break into a barbershop quartet style song.

Treeeaats
.......Treaaaaats
................Treeeeeaaatttts