Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

I had an idea for a little rat activity. You take some toilet paper tubes, cut 'em into thirds, tape them together in a little cluster and tape them to a cardboard backing. Then you fill each tube with a little bit of bedding and hide some little treats in them, like bits of tortilla chips. You end up with little foraging tubes that the rats can dig through for the tiny treats.

The rats seemed to catch on pretty quickly and seemed to enjoy digging through them. And then everybody gets grapes afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

I need some advice for a sick rat.
One of my rats had been looking a little listless and having a little trouble breathing, so I took her in to the vet. The vet said she had pneumonia, and prescribed some antibiotics, Vibramycin. I've been giving it to her, but she hasn't really been improving. What can I do at this point? Is there another kind of antibiotic I can move onto, or some other treatment? And is there any way to get this without another costly vet appointment, or is that inevitable?

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Our rats are having to contend with the fact that their favorite sleeping spot somehow doesn't fit all four of them anymore.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Last Visible Dog posted:

Our rats are having to contend with the fact that their favorite sleeping spot somehow doesn't fit all four of them anymore.

Follow-up: got a bigger teepee.

Yes, there's a 4th rat in there.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Behold the fury of the Rattydome!
Two rats enter, one rat leaves!
https://i.imgur.com/Dqs9Qy5.mp4
(Then the other rat leaves, too)

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

So this has been my first time doing fleece-lined platforms instead of bedding, so I ended up sewing liners for the big platforms as well as the bottom one. I've also got hammocks set up for my rats, but I've learned they'd rather chew holes into the underside of the platform liners and make their own hammocks:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Playtime is thirsty work!

Yes, there is a second water bottle in the cage. Yes, they're responsible for pushing their teepee that close to it. Sometimes I see three rats at that bottle at once after playtime.