Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Awwww yeah, cuddle puddle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Omar celebrating his third birthday (3rd plus a month or two)

Not sure how much he's got left, as he's about 80% hind legged and starting to sundown pretty hard, but when he's here he's a happy motherfucker that loves him some pizza crust

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Scholtz posted:

I love Omar. Thank you for sharing his birthday with us.

I assume he got the rest of the pizza too and he's just polishing it off.

He got crust + a little bit of the sauce and cheese, and he also got a chunk of a payday (carmel and peanuts)

We've started wetting his food, so he's put on a little weight in the 3 days since that picture, but he is still a shrinking old man tots adorbs.

We grabbed some baby rattos today as well, they're in quarintine currently

Here's Laszlo:

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Omar has suffled along.

Should I meet God upon my own dying, I will hold him to account for permitting Dick Cheney to stride this earth yet take Omar from us.

May he ride eternal in rathalla

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

ShiroTheSniper posted:

Aging like fine wine, don't you think? Well... I'm cheating a little bit, he's like 5-6 months old:

Cute!

Jack Trades posted:

My old man is very chuffed about his paperbag.

Fuckin' adorbs!

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Some happy looking rattos. Bet they smell great after nomming mint, too

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

So many cuties!

Laszlo has a bit of chicken

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

I put a half inch of water, some ice cubes and some frozen veggies on a baking pan for our dudes, when it gets real hot

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Falstaff posted:

I agree with you; I find rat eyes cute. But in my (purely anecdotal) experience of talking to people who don't like rats, their "shrimp eyes" are the #2 cited thing that makes them "creepy," right after their tails.

They're wrong, of course. Objectively.

It always weirds me out when new rats figure out what part of you is a face, and they start turning their heads and locking eyes with you for a bit.

It's also super adorable tho

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Adorbs!

What sorta wood chip you using?

BrotherJayne fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 24, 2023

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Ah, the classic underside perch of the ratty bab

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

The ol' razzle dazzle

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

2 Saturdays ago, Simon had a stroke. Was pretty scary, he lost control of half his body, and had a pretty serious seizure.

At present, he's got most of his motor skills back, finally regained bladder control and figured out how to drink from the water bottle again.

He's got one "Biden Debate" eye, so we've been calling him Mr President a lot.

At present, it seems like half his face is numb, and he keeps dinging it up/getting bitten on it when he tries to scrap and gets his butt kicked.

Currently hitting him up twice a day with anti biotics as he's got 3 cuts on his face and that eyeball is pretty funky, but he seems pretty unbothered. Probably going to put him on very low doses of children's asprin later in the week.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Big mood.

Mr President up top, healing up nicely.

Just to confuse things, post stroke he's now Laszlo, and Laszlo is now Simon, name changeout to match the personalities.

That's Vlad watching all sus-like

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

cumpantry posted:

what is he contemplating so heavily?

He's just chillin', bro.

Abiding, even

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Mr President has regained use of his left eye, his face is all healed up, and he doesn't get thrown down the ramps during squabbles anymore

Life is good!

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Last Visible Dog posted:

Behold the fury of the Rattydome!
Two rats enter, one rat leaves!
https://i.imgur.com/Dqs9Qy5.mp4
(Then the other rat leaves, too)

DEATH!

Mr. President has re-entered politics, and might have seized the throne

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Falstaff posted:

https://hakaimagazine.com/features/in-defense-of-the-rat/?fbclid=IwAR16MbN8zQwjzqTYd6JOHF46rOH2rOGx_DeLObT3MInEI1HEdg7hnTBJJKw

I remember the hide-and-seek study (I even have footage of one game saved on my hard drive somewhere), but this is the first I'd heard that the rats who played games with researchers were euthanized afterwards. :(

Pretty awesome article.

The home-range stuff reminds me a lot of the study on racoons

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

do-wop break

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Smug son-of-a-gun!

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Way back in the when... Guy and Dandy got tired of waiting for the top hut to come out of the dishwasher

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Giving Mr President a scritch this morning with brekkers, told him "hey there, handsome!"

and the wife admonished me for fibbing to him

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Mr Devious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Animal-Mother posted:

And that was that. She had an appointment to get euthanized but she passed quietly in her sleep in her comfy hammock. I kinda knew she wasn't gonna make it to the morning. I hope I have half a life as good as that rat had.

Sorry brother

You did well by that ratto