Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Fleece bedding for rats, is it the same as it is for guinea pigs? A layer of fleece over layers of towels? Does anyone here use it for rats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Big Bug Hug posted:

Those are some cuties Aerobe :)

Chin Strap, pretty much I think. I don't use it because I'd have trouble doing all that laundry. I applaud those that do, though. I've heard it gets pretty stinky, compared to litter.

Really? Because for guinea pigs I've been told it is some of the easier things to keep the stink down because you can vacuum up the poop.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Still trying to read up on rats more but they definitely seem in my future. Why aren't rat breeders as disdained by this forum as most breeders of seemingly every other pet are? Are there just more good breeders? Or not that many in rescues?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Thanks superconsndar. I didn't mean that all breeders are discouraged here, it is just as you said for other animals the rescue angle is pushed much harder, but I guess that is due to access to rescues for those animals.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
My wife just said one of our rats has suddenly started losing her balance. She was showing a tiny bit of porphirin for the last two days but we found no URI going on. She is getting in touch with our rat vet now.

Seems like the options are maybe stroke, brain tumor, or ear infection. She is 1 1/2 years old, which I'm not sure but am guessing is old enough that stroke or tumor is a likely possibility?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Vet says pituitary tumor. Our local rat rescue lady says that they have a treatment plan that works about 80% of the time to increase their lifespan by 6-12 months, involving just getting the size of the tumor down using bromocriptine (I think?). She isn't in pain yet so we will give it a shot. I'm just glad we have someone like her to walk us through it all.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Chin Strap posted:

My wife just said one of our rats has suddenly started losing her balance. She was showing a tiny bit of porphirin for the last two days but we found no URI going on. She is getting in touch with our rat vet now.

Seems like the options are maybe stroke, brain tumor, or ear infection. She is 1 1/2 years old, which I'm not sure but am guessing is old enough that stroke or tumor is a likely possibility?

Seems to have been heatstroke. We have just recently moved and didn't think the temperature was bad enough for that. We have a window AC unit in now, and our rat is almost 100 percent better.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

dovetaile posted:

Hey all, minor head-swaying (just when he's on ledges and stuff) in a <1 year old male PEW rat, yeah or nay?

Does he look like he is scanning? It is their way of depth perception. The pink eyed and ruby rats do it.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Is there a rat rescue somewhere decent?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah, I just lost Yayo the other day after only 6 months. He was a shrimpy feeder rat who had always had respiratory problems and I guess the sudden cold snap was a bit too much for him to handle.

On a happier note, my sister got me a large Lixit Critter Space Pod for christmas and both I and the rats love it. Since it's sturdy plastic it doesn't have the problem I've had with cloth hammocks where they chew the straps off or tear apart the actual bed but you can still put some soft fleece or fabric scraps in there to keep them warm and comfy and make cleaning easier. All three of my boys are crammed in there in the second picture, that's how much they like it.

I also made them a DIY tall grass hideaway by cutting strips of fabric, tying them in a circle, and then pulling the loop through itself through the wires of their cage. They love chilling and napping in there as well as nibbling at the strips and making bedding out of it, since it was a test I did it with an old polo shirt but in the future if I make it from scratch I'll use fleece like you're supposed to.

Also also last time I was at the store they had a bunch of gingerbread house kits knocked down to 90% off so in the future for a fun project I want to make them a little gingerbread house to destroy :3:

I've found that the brackets on the space pod tend to break under the weight of a lot of rats. If you want to make it last longer use some big binder clips to keep it hooked to the cage.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
My 2y 10m old that was more tumor than rat at that point died the other day. We had two tumors removed earlier in her life, but the time the latest came she was too old, had no use of her back legs, didn't want to subject her to more surgery. Also her teeth were hosed up and we had to regularly clip them and give her baby food.

I swear up until her last day though she still kept trying to climb the side of the cage with just her front legs and managed to do it more often than not.

We watched Willard in her honor that night.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Jaded Burnout posted:

"this [metacam] is honey flavoured so there'll be no trouble getting him to take it", says the vet nurse
"I see you've not tried with this rat", thought I.

Yeah you learn quick that the trick is they only really have front teeth to guard their mouth so you sneak in from the side of the mouth.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Animal-Mother posted:

Despite how Web 1.0 this website looks, these guys make great cages: http://www.martinscages.com/rats.html

I have three females and they're quite comfortable in the "tower" with a couple hammocks, a couple igloos, and a Quaker Oats box.

Rats don't use wheels. They might play with it a little and lose interest. Or eat it. I try to make sure my girls get a couple hours to run around the apartment each day. Have to make sure to hide the garbage, though. And seal the windows so there's no escapes.

our

Our rats run the wheel all the time. No hamster ball things though.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
God I couldn't trust my girls like that. I feel like they'd just bolt. And we've socialized them pretty well.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Jack Trades posted:

Pancake is the best mood.

Flat rat

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Chin Strap fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jan 19, 2021

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Our carrier while I was cage cleaning

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah Doxy is like step 0 for rat URI.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
In our area we have a exotics vet that used to be the head vet of the zoo. Now he just works out of the back of a local vet office 2 days a week and you can only schedule by emailing his assistant directly. They tell you when to show up but are often times an hour+ behind. But he knows his stuff for rats and guinea pigs and other exotics, and he is like less than half the rate of the only other rat vet in the area I really trust.

Was $150 yesterday for examining one old rats abcess (decided not to mess with it surgically and just try amoxicillin), and trying tumor removal on the other old rat (unfortunately too metasticized in her belly and wasn't taking well to anesthesia to get out the benign one by one of her legs, so she's just palliative care now).

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Jaded Burnout posted:

My clothes are still full of holes, I assume they would also chew holes if they got onto your bed or whatever? I have a hoodie which I had effectively donated to them and I only keep it now as some avant garde fashion since it's the very definition of "ratty".

In slightly less fun topics, I frequently dream that actually I still have rats, but for some reason I have a LOT of them and they've been neglected and/or malnourished and also breeding and now I have to wrangle like two dozen sick rats. Yikes. Like "oh this cage actually isn't empty at all it's FULL OF NEGLECTED RATS YOU'VE NOT FED THEM FOR TWO YEARS"

It's the pet person version of the "having to attend the final for a class you didn't remember you were registered for" dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Jack Trades posted:

Every morning I curse my mortal form for not having enough hands to pet all my rats at the same time.

Should have taken the extra limbs mutation.