Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dogen posted:

Just be a DINK household and die with no descendants. clutching all your Lego

If you have a kid you can justify Lego as being for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

And then throwing it out and renting a storage unit to hold all your unopened sets.

lol

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

seeing a great discount and knowing that you still shouldn't but holy hell look at that discount

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If you have a kid you can justify Lego as being for them.

I'm a 51 year old half of a dink couple and I don't have to justify poo poo to poo poo

except to my wife

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dogen posted:

Just be a DINK household and die with no descendants. clutching all your Lego

Build your own tomb

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

HootTheOwl posted:

do you like the orrey or the look of an orrey?

I’m not sure I understand the question

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Xenomrph posted:

Do they make you orrey, baby

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Xenomrph posted:

It's a very accurate and functional orrery but very exposed and ugly.
The knock off is the opposite

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Dogen posted:

Do they make you orrey, baby

lol

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
To me Technic sets are about the exposed and functional aesthetic. You're building something that is designed to do a thing and seeing how the mechanism that does that thing is set up is sort of the point. Like the Technic cars aren't aiming to look like glossy 1:1 replicas in any way.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Except for the super sexy back end of the Ferrari Daytona

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022
And pretty much every lambo set they released where you get all kinds of new panels in new and exciting colours.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

HootTheOwl posted:

It's a very accurate and functional orrery but very exposed and ugly.
The knock off is the opposite

That’s fair. Framed like that, I think I’m more interested in the function in this case, although if I had a thousand dollars I probably would buy a fancy ornate non-Lego orrery that looks nice.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I did market village #2. And it's nice. It's been years since I built #1 but I remember being more impressed with it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I'm 52, divorced, and my daughter just made her last college tuition payment on her own, so I'm free and clear from now on! MOAR LEGO. I got several sets last year.

And my about-to-die dad wants to blow his nest egg on fun things for his kids and grandkids so he bought me the Titanic for Christmas. It's a good time to be an AFOL.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Some Senna F1 car thoughts…

Fancy single piece tires! The slicks get dirty just as easily as the real thing. Lots of complaints that the real car had much wider tires in the back but it’s not that noticeable IMO.

Weird mix of stickers vs printed pieces. No rhyme or reason in my mind. Don’t see why it couldn’t have been all prints. Except the pieces where they print red on white to match the original livery just look pink, and probably would have been better as stickers or brick built.

Building experience was pretty simple. Only function is the steering. Brand new part for the upper and lower wishbones. Engine bay is cool looking and has a removable cover. Lots of hidden Brazilian colors beneath the red and white which is a neat Easter egg.

Overall, nice display piece with the stand.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/LegoCastleFR/status/1772183079408341403

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
M-Tron, Ice Planet, and Black Tron remain the only ones I want.

Cool that the mutated Black Tron has the double arm piece.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
All of them please

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I think I said this the first time it leaked, but I'd prefer a neo-Blacktron I, the kind with the black visor.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
They're all awesome but the dude being piloted by tiny aliens with an antenna is brilliant.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Someone on ebay is selling pre orders for 60 bucks. That's a good deal.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Giving the Ice Planet a cyborg penguin just seems positively excessive

Like if you're at a steakhouse and you order a ribeye and it comes with French onion soup, where at the bottom of the soup bowl there's keys to a Lexus that's waiting for you outside

All great but cmon just the steak would have been fine

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022
I think they're kinda meh.

Apart from the gray tourist and the aliens-in-a-suit guy they're pretty boring, half of them are just nostalgia baits and the other half don't really fit there. Just release a new m-tron and/or blacktron ideas set and be done with it.

And then there are like the numbers 4, 9 and 11 which are just why. The dog isn't even in a space suit or anything, the kitchen robot is barely on theme and the last guy is clearly just a filler to get to 12 figs.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Lion Knights' Castle or Eldorado Fortress? I haven't bought sets since 2022 but I caved in with some of the smaller Space sets and the bug has bitten again! 😩

drat, Ice Planet and M-Tron minifigs for me, as well as the space baby 😍

fappenmeister fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 25, 2024

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

Saithir posted:

And then there are like the numbers 4, 9 and 11 which are just why. The dog isn't even in a space suit or anything, the kitchen robot is barely on theme and the last guy is clearly just a filler to get to 12 figs.

achtuallly the dog is a robot

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022

Sunk Dunk posted:

achtuallly the dog is a robot

Oh, is it? It's kinda hard to see from that terrible image. That's only minimally better though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

fappenmeister posted:

Lion Knights' Castle or Eldorado Fortress? I haven't bought sets since 2022 but I caved in with some of the smaller Space sets and the bug has bitten again! 😩

drat, Ice Planet and M-Tron minifigs for me, as well as the space baby 😍

Lion Knights. EDF is fine but LKC is goat tier.

Buuuuut...if you really want to spend the $$, get Pirates of Barracuda Bay. It's out of print but you can get for cheaper than LKC and it is arguably better. Just based on preference. It's much better than EDF.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Waltzing Along posted:

Lion Knights. EDF is fine but LKC is goat tier.

Buuuuut...if you really want to spend the $$, get Pirates of Barracuda Bay. It's out of print but you can get for cheaper than LKC and it is arguably better. Just based on preference. It's much better than EDF.

Thank you! Barracuda Bay was actually one of the sets that got me back into this after 20 years or so, it was a great build.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

Saithir posted:

Oh, is it? It's kinda hard to see from that terrible image. That's only minimally better though.

that's a space peanut -joe dirt

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Saithir posted:

I think they're kinda meh.

Apart from the gray tourist and the aliens-in-a-suit guy they're pretty boring, half of them are just nostalgia baits and the other half don't really fit there. Just release a new m-tron and/or blacktron ideas set and be done with it.

hows life being this miserable

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

ijyt posted:

This thread absolutely loving hates any Lego space that isn’t just stock boring blue and grey spacemen from the late 70s

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Naw. There are people who like all the eras, depending one when the fan was a kid.

I mean, there are people who like ice planet while any sane person looks at those sets and goes EEUUUUUUURGGGGHHHHH! But someone will probably chime in to say how great they are. And that's fine.

I think SP3 sets are pretty awesome, though they don't get much love.

LEGO has brought space back, though in a less fantastic way. It's more grounded in reality now.

Please bring back western sets. Those work really well.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I see this wave in terms of cool parts, of which there are quite a few.

That iceplanet helmet is neat.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My only real complaint with those CMF is there is no Classic Space themed one. Doesn't have to be a benny, but something that fits the early theme.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

Naw. There are people who like all the eras, depending one when the fan was a kid.

I mean, there are people who like ice planet while any sane person looks at those sets and goes EEUUUUUUURGGGGHHHHH! But someone will probably chime in to say how great they are. And that's fine.

I think SP3 sets are pretty awesome, though they don't get much love.

LEGO has brought space back, though in a less fantastic way. It's more grounded in reality now.

Please bring back western sets. Those work really well.

wait what's wrong with ice planet sets? it's the neon orange isn't it?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Ice Planet was cool. Transparent neon orange chainsaws and skis were, are, and will always be rad. :colbert:

Waltzing Along posted:

My only real complaint with those CMF is there is no Classic Space themed one. Doesn't have to be a benny, but something that fits the early theme.

Lots of AFOLS would love another monochrome classic figure, but we aren't the primary market. They can take inspiration from old sets to invoke our nostalgia, but the have to appeal to kids first and foremost, and they just did a brown one recently.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Having just recently got back into Lego for the first time since my early teens like, 2 years back, and having spent an appreciable amount of my total income on Lego since that point, I have a definite point of view on the space sets - and that is I'm all for the quirky figures as collectables, I love them at first sight and will be trying to get this full set - but for stuff to put on a shelf I like the more grounded things a bit more. I am currently planning a pretty big layout combining the two most recent space base sets with rocket gantries and control towers and a bunch of vehicles, and considering whether I can make the recent Technic space sets work in with it. So we aren't all looking for nostalgia only.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah I really like the new space sets. I have half the line but mostly I'm just waiting for the next gwp I like to get the rest. they are much more near future

tho I do miss the more extravagant trans-neon colors. in that vein I've been grabbing incomplete sets for those colors and just incorporating them where I can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022

ijyt posted:

Pretty good, thanks. :shrug:

And it is exactly like Waltzing Along says - I just never got the classic space nostalgia virus when I was a kid*, so I look at the minifigs for what they are, and if you look at the m-tron guy for example, it's the most generic spaceman minifig ever produced (with a 1x2 brick in dark bluish gray, woooooooooooooooo, so unique), its only quality is being an m-tron.

* I was too young for classic space sets and then I wasn't a rich kid (which in early 90's Poland was very much a requirement as the cheap sets were pretty bad) for the blacktrons.

Saithir fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Mar 26, 2024