Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

I wish there was Unitron/Futron/Exploriens representation but I like enough of the wave to probably spring for the whole lot. It could definitely be better, I'm stoked for M-Tron but it just seems a little flat. Mutated Blacktron 2 is pretty sick and goes with something I'm building. Ice Planet is easily the top for me, I dig the new helmet and the robo-penguin is really sick. At very least there's a ton of very cool new parts made for the line that'll hopefully get reused in very NPU kind of ways.

I freaking love classic Space, but the D&D CMF series absolutely dominates this Space wave.

Dammit. Top of the page content that I don't believe has been posted here yet:

New upcoming City Jungle theme animals got leaked a little bit ago:

They all look pretty drat fantastic to me.

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
do CMF parts end up in the on-line PAB? there are tons of new parts I want

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

I could easily be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the CMF versions of parts don't get PAB releases. A recolor probably would, I would wager that the goat from the Medieval Town Square will be on PAB but the CMF color scheme won't.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I want a redone Blacktron I fig, because to me that was the cool space guy. All the rest were bright colours with semi-transparent visors, but that dude? All in black, opaque black visor. So cool. I used to go a step further and replace his head with a transparent red cylinder, implying he was some kind of hosed up robot or energy being.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
There was a gift with purchase retro Blacktron set a bit ago with a figure. That torso was available on the pick a brick web page the last time I ordered anything. Might still be if you want to build an army.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

deoju posted:

Ice Planet was cool. Transparent neon orange chainsaws and skis were, are, and will always be rad. :colbert:
Hell yeah. Like I didn't even get any until I was a grown-rear end adult, and always thought they were top tier Space stuff.

quote:

Lots of AFOLS would love another monochrome classic figure, but we aren't the primary market. They can take inspiration from old sets to invoke our nostalgia, but the have to appeal to kids first and foremost, and they just did a brown one recently.
I grew up with classic Space, and tbh loved the change from OG grey and blue with trans yellow to the white & blue designs.

The in-between stage with the green windows were always a bit of a mystery. They seemed to only really show up in the US catalogs and not really in Canada.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

deoju posted:

Ice Planet was cool. Transparent neon orange chainsaws and skis were, are, and will always be rad. :colbert:

Also without the skiis how were your spaceships swooping down to land? There’s no way wheels can ever look as good

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Captain... How do we stop? We've landed but we're not stopping."

"Lieutenant, extend the poles."

*two meters-long ski poles extend from the hull, gracefully slowing the craft*

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Brawnfire posted:

"poo poo, is it pizza or french fries? I can never remember!"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish I could get my hands on like 30 of those space babies for cheap so I could make a fully staffed big cruiser style ship with an interior at a smaller scale.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

veni veni veni posted:

I wish I could get my hands on like 30 of those space babies for cheap so I could make a fully staffed big cruiser style ship with an interior at a smaller scale.

This would be amazing. Space baby supremacy.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There's a bl store with over 30 of them. I bet you could convince the seller to do it for 100 shipped.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Amazon's got the Hulkbuster set for $331.99: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BGQJV9HW

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Brawnfire posted:

Make the Deep Freeze Defender do a hockey stop

E: poo poo, that's basically an akiraslide

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I went against the "Car Only" pledge I made to myself and my wife to pick up the new 3 in 1 set and I have some thoughts. First off, the clearly had to throw in an extra piece right?

The one I made had me dump all 5 bags and sub bags out at once, so I thought that was going to be more difficult than usual and I was sort of right. There are three shades of brown and black and there were a couple of times my old-rear end eyes had difficulty figuring out which was which but luckily the parts were almost completely color specific so that helped. Anyway I finished the model and took it our for some real world testing

https://i.imgur.com/IeacDZz.mp4

Reloaded, tried again and did not achieve similar results

https://i.imgur.com/eRvz9lI.mp4

Set came with an acorn, but I used whole hazelnuts here. After I quit recording I made sure that all of the squirrels and birds got fed. No animals were harmed in the making of this project

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

That is too cute :3:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

fappenmeister posted:

That is too cute :3:

:hmmyes:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That's quite a MOC. And the stop-motion must have taken forever. It's so lifelike.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I want a redone Blacktron I fig, because to me that was the cool space guy. All the rest were bright colours with semi-transparent visors, but that dude? All in black, opaque black visor. So cool. I used to go a step further and replace his head with a transparent red cylinder, implying he was some kind of hosed up robot or energy being.

There seems to be plenty of the Blacktron Cruiser GWP floating around. I got an unopened one for I think £25 last year. It's awesome.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Bored so grabbed a random set off the shelf

Smoothed out the yellows, added more dark gray on the back
Hollowed out the R2 area on both sides cause no need for an astromech on a fighter that doesn’t have a hyperdrive, plus lighter is better

Alot more aggressive as a Jedi Intercepter should be to me

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 28, 2024

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
That's bad rear end

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Where can I buy a single bootleg Mr. Gold?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

obi_ant posted:

a search for "not mr gold" came up with a lot of results around five bucks
https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Mr-Gold-Electro-Plated-Custom-Minifigure/1600367303?goog_pla=1

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

obi_ant posted:

https://www.marstoy.net/products/si...rch.search_1.10

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Oh poo poo Snowtroopers for 90 cents a pop? Maybe I'll buy enough to fill up my not built yet UCS AT-AT.

No space babies that I could find though.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Messed around with it some more, stretched the front out by a stud, changed the engines a bit and added some silver to the guns
Last night:

Tonight:

original:

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Also got a cheapy Ali knockoff light cruiser. If you look at it wrong it WILL fall apart, but it’s great to scale with the $20 Venator. Then added last of the dark red I had to make it kinda match… I just need to find another flat round yellow piece in the war chest

Gangs coming together

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

a sexual elk posted:

stretched the front out by a stud Last night:

How many pieces is the Your Mom set anyhow? Heynow

This link to the bootleg minifigs is interesting, who's to say whether buying $100 worth of LoTR figures and setting up a room-sized battle diorama is good, or bad

Or perhaps $400 worth of knockoff 1/8th car models is the right choice!

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

a sexual elk posted:

Also got a cheapy Ali knockoff light cruiser. If you look at it wrong it WILL fall apart, but it’s great to scale with the $20 Venator. Then added last of the dark red I had to make it kinda match… I just need to find another flat round yellow piece in the war chest

Gangs coming together

Now you just need the clone turbo tank... ($19.80+shipping for the bootleg!)

Great work on that jedi fighter though. My kid & I just built the yoda fighter and the fang one to go with his anakin fighter and I'm not sure how I feel about any of them or if they'll end up in a parts bin.

Ether Frenzy posted:

This link to the bootleg minifigs is interesting, who's to say whether buying $100 worth of LoTR figures and setting up a room-sized battle diorama is good, or bad

Or perhaps $400 worth of knockoff 1/8th car models is the right choice!

Careful, shipping isn't included (on joytoyworld it is). But the minifig shipping is real cheap. It's pretty clear there's a big market for using these guys as action figures - tons and tons of the minifigs there are just war (medieval, fantasy, ww2) oriented. Even buying the star wars droids is really cheap which is nice.

My favorite thing to buy there is the unofficial knockoffs of TV shows/movies, like Spider-verse and Ahsoka/Thrawn. Get 8 minifigs for about $10, the designs are all wild, and then my kid goes nuts putting them throughout his city having fights and acting out little scenes.

Speaking of which, I'm having a ton of success building pseudo MILS plates for his city. Don't have the technic bricks needed for pins, but I have thousands of 2x2s, 2x3s, and 2x4s, probably from various dollar store sets we got him over the years. Those then go on $1 baseplates from the dollar store, and plop one of his big sets (prison island, fire station, hospital, etc) on it and he can mix/match as he sees fit without stuff going everywhere. It's going to end up saving a huge amount of table space.

The real problem now is what to do with all his Mario lego. I hate the sizing of it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://www.marstoy.net/products/th...ive_product_1.1
This is sick at the knock-off site

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

How legit is that site, and is the quality any good?

Couple of older sets that'd be cool to own in the too-good-to-be-true price range

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Infinitum posted:

How legit is that site, and is the quality any good?

Couple of older sets that'd be cool to own in the too-good-to-be-true price range

Again, the shipping is going to really inflate the cost. That $131 will probably be $200 at my guess - 7000 pieces is heavy - and take 5-6 weeks to arrive.
Here it is on the other main site I've used (there's others too like hitian) for $214 including shipping.
https://www.yourwobb.com/products/mould-king-21006-apollo-11-spacecraft?_pos=2&_sid=94dcc22e9&_ss=r&variant=37424449126556

Marstoy is a legitimate site with a payment process that seems incredibly scammy but is real (due to paypal complaints against them a year ago) and I've ordered a number of products from them (as well as joytoyworld). I like them a lot for minifigs since you can actually see what you're getting.

As for the set itself, you're best checking on reddit for the manufacturer/set number for reviews. These reseller sites buy from manufacturers who will be of various quality. Sometimes you get numbered bags , sometimes you don't. There's complaints now and then on the facebook groups about missing pieces, but people seem to be able to get replacements shipped pretty easily if it turns out they aren't in another bag.

This specific model looks good since Mouldking is one of the big brands.

https://www.reddit.com/r/lepin/comments/nxeqwt/just_finished_the_nasa_apollo_spacecraft_mould/
https://www.reddit.com/r/lepin/comments/kwecc1/mould_king_21006_arrived_today/

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

trevorreznik posted:

Great work on that jedi fighter though. My kid & I just built the yoda fighter and the fang one to go with his anakin fighter and I'm not sure how I feel about any of them or if they'll end up in a parts bin.

Hmm, mebbe next project

Or at least a good dusting

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

a sexual elk posted:

Hmm, mebbe next project

Or at least a good dusting

Sorry, he doesn't have the anakin one- just the Obiwan one + yoda one. If you make them look cooler send me the instructions! The fang fighter is a lost cause because it's a 'bad guy ship' and has crashed/partly disintegrated a dozen times already, including a few times during the build itself.

What I'm struggling with is integrating these ships into his lego city on baseplates - the size differences are wild. We can have little AT walkers patrolling the streets, or the small stuff in his clone trooper battlepacks, but the non-mini spaceships are enormous.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

My stuff from Ali got here today

New favorite set just cause of that piece

Pretty solid set, pieces fit great

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 30, 2024

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

a sexual elk posted:

Messed around with it some more, stretched the front out by a stud, changed the engines a bit and added some silver to the guns

Tonight:

Wow, that's sweet.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

a sexual elk posted:

Lmao

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Probably a good idea to recall it, the jail didn't seem to hold anyone very securely

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I only just discovered this thread a few days ago. I have a bunch of Minecraft sets these days because I love the diorama nature of them, but I'm sad that I missed out on some of the larger landscape sets from years past. The "[Creature] House" sets they often come out with aren't really my style. So when I saw y'all talking about these knock off sites, I couldn't help but go looking for a knock off of The Mountain Adventure, the biggest MC set they made. It wasn't long until I found one: https://joooooy.com/collections/minecraft/products/2688pcs-leduo-76010-miniecraft-the-mountain-cave-compatible-with-21137

At $80 it's still pricey, but that's both cheaper than the real set's original MSRP of $250 and absolutely preferable compared to the ~$2000-2500 you have to spend to buy a real one of these secondhand. The reviews on the site make it sound good but I'm curious if anyone here has bought from this site or manufacturer before and what I can expect from buying a knock off like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

a sexual elk posted:

Lol