Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Skios posted:

D&D minifigs:

Used to run Gamma World one shots and I used minifigs as stand ins. They were great cause you could mix and match to create whatever abomination you needed, so these are super super dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
They look more like Halloween minifigs mk 2. What was that, series 14? Or was it Monsters? Same thing, really.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I think they all look excellent :shrug:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

They look more like Halloween minifigs mk 2. What was that, series 14? Or was it Monsters? Same thing, really.

Agreed, I don't see D&D in many of them.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Those are pretty cool. The red and orange wizards and the mindflayer are the ones I want the most.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Hopper posted:

Agreed, I don't see D&D in many of them.

One looks like a Zelda fig. Another looks like Nexo Knights. Another could be a LOTR hobbit or something.

But really, what does D&D look like, anyway? They've basically done it already in Castle Sets, Elves sets, LOTR sets, Nexo Knights, Monkee Kid, Ninjago and so on. A dedicated D&D set or line doesn't really make any sense.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Thing is, the witch looks like a generic halloween witch, the druid looks like someone wanted to make fun of a druid...
There seems to be no consistent "art style" or concept to the figs.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Actually, thanks to the resurgence in popularity (Stranger Things) of D&D it makes perfect sense.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think they look pretty fun - the detailing of the outfits make them feel a little more "fantasy" then more cartoony lego series or halloween costumes.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Yeah I think they're good. They seem to fit with the current other representations of DnD quite well - BG3, the recent movie, Stranger Things etc. Colourful, detailed, varied, not too serious.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I’m partial to lich dude, who I assume to be Vecna.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 20, 2024

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

I think they look pretty fun - the detailing of the outfits make them feel a little more "fantasy" then more cartoony lego series or halloween costumes.

Yeah, there is a very specific modern fantasy aesthetic that WotC leans toward that most of the minifigs nail in a way that previous fantasy minifig series entries usually don't.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Tarquinn posted:

I partial to lich dude, who I assume to be Vecna.

#11? I'm calling him "Necromancer".

Lavender Spliffs
Nov 12, 2023

I feel like there's two ways to design a D&D set, and lego has tried to meet in the middle to do both, and it doesn't come together as a coherant whole.

Either design it as a mini-adventure and lean into the gameplay aspect of it, or design a single big display piece that really screams, This is fukkin Dungeons and Dragons!!!

Include paper maps and booklets for 2-6 people, some brick-built dice, and build the set as the adventure is played. All the monsters are the right scale to swap in as miniatures, go the extra step and make it fully integratable into the base game.

If it's instead a $400 display set, stop worrying about keeping everything to minifig scale and. Make a better-looking set. The tavern is too big compared to the castle. The beholder and displacer beast look janky as hell. I was really excited for this set, and i think its going to be a pass from me. I'll grab a mimic from bricklink for 50bux though.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Lavender Spliffs posted:

If it's instead a $400 display set, stop worrying about keeping everything to minifig scale and. Make a better-looking set. The tavern is too big compared to the castle. The beholder and displacer beast look janky as hell. I was really excited for this set, and i think its going to be a pass from me. I'll grab a mimic from bricklink for 50bux though.

I think the Beholder looks great. The Displacer and Owl Bear not so much. I would of prefered moulded parts for those.

I find it odd they don't make the large moulded animals and dinosaurs more modular so they could, for example, use pieces of the existing bear mould for an Owl Bear.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

What no Drizzt?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is there a consensus on the best way to organise bricks when rebuilding a set? Colour or type?

I just built Eldorado fortress from new and now I want to rebuild Barracuda Bay to go along with it. Turns out the part I like least about Lego is finding the right brick in a pile.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Red_Fred posted:

Is there a consensus on the best way to organise bricks when rebuilding a set? Colour or type?

I just built Eldorado fortress from new and now I want to rebuild Barracuda Bay to go along with it. Turns out the part I like least about Lego is finding the right brick in a pile.

Definitely shape. If you have a pile of the same shape you can tell apart the colors at a glance, but if you have a pile of the same color you still have to sift about to find the shape you want.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Never could've imagined a couple decades after Planescape was unceremoniously strangled in its bed that there'd be a Lady of Pain lego. Which I desperately need.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Red_Fred posted:

When you take the set apart. Separate into bag numbers. Easy peasy.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

the holy poopacy posted:

Definitely shape. If you have a pile of the same shape you can tell apart the colors at a glance, but if you have a pile of the same color you still have to sift about to find the shape you want.

Yeah this seems to be The Way.

Waltzing Along posted:

When you take the set apart. Separate into bag numbers. Easy peasy.

Oh I’ve already got that, all my Lego is in bags of the sets. It’s just the big ones are still a tonne of parts and it’s usually a couple of bags vs. The 10+ organised bags when you buy new.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

a sexual elk posted:

What no Drizzt?

It would've been a serious misplay to focus on Drizzt instead of doing more generic characters that can be mixed and matched so people can create their own thing.

I've been playing DnD off and on for two decades now and I never gave a poo poo about Drizzt or any of the famous DnD characters. I can't even name any others, lol, aside from some from the Baldur's Gate series.

With the spike of popularity during covid times I think that if they were to use existing characters it would've made more sense feature critical role and dimension 20, or the new movie, because that's what people are more familiar with now. I think most people in the market for DnD lego aren't all that familiar with Drizzt to be honest, because that's ancient history by now. A Nott the Brave or Caleb or Jester would do much better nowadays. But again, I think having generic characters people can project their own characters on is the right move.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I have no idea about D&D, just started reading the Drizzt series cause wife said it was good and I’d run out of other stuff to read

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
A Drizzt would definitely be popular with the 40 and up jorts wearing collector set

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

https://jaysbrickblog.com/news/perception-check-first-look-at-the-lego-dungeons-and-dragons-set-coming-april-2024/

The Official pics of the Dungeons and Dragons set are out. It looks really good imo. There's definitely another Figure that isn't being revealed at the top of the tower. I think, based on his arms being Red that it's the inkeeper and he is the bad guy .

Feels like I've waited my whole life for Lego and Baldurs Gate to merge, so immediately going to abandon financial sense and buy this.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
$360 for 3700 pieces is not very good. Especially when 1000 of those are going to be greebling. There are some big pieces and the dragon wings that pop the price up a bit but for the piece count, this looks like it should be $50 less.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I honestly thought it looked like a $200 set lol. It's not a bad set but easy pass especially at that price point. I definitely want that whole CMF line though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ll just bricklink the Beholder parts and grab the CMF line

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
My expectation was it would rival the Rivendell build and it just..doesn't. And honestly I hate the dragon's wings. They should have made it a steel or shadow dragon and cut down on the part count by only needing two legs :haw:

I thought the beholder was a custom mold but when I zoomed in on the picture I can see the bricks. What pieces are the tentacles made with?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I honestly don't think the price is that bad for a licensed set, compared to things like Rivendell or the UCS Star Wars set. Still more expensive than I had hoped for, obviously, and I'll be looking to grab it at a hefty discount.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
A huge display of the DnD set, Lion Knights Castle, Medieval Town Square, and the forthcoming Bricklink Designer Program Seaside Market and Siege Encampment would be rad, but :homebrew: Time, money and space.

Edit: Also that retired blacksmith shop.

BTW, I was able to get a 10% discount for a damaged box mini Millennium Falcon. I'm not advocating being clumsy while shopping, but it was worth asking.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

trevorreznik posted:

My expectation was it would rival the Rivendell build and it just..doesn't. And honestly I hate the dragon's wings. They should have made it a steel or shadow dragon and cut down on the part count by only needing two legs :haw:

I thought the beholder was a custom mold but when I zoomed in on the picture I can see the bricks. What pieces are the tentacles made with?

Looks like this with this on the end and a dot on top for the eye (hopefully printed)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I actually think the dragon looks great.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah I'm fine with the dragon's wings. the price point is kinda meh tho. not terrible but also not in snap purchase price range

cmf looks good and I'll be grabbing a bunch for parts

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Relatively cheap in Australia which is weird.

I think it's going to be a massive success too.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Are the wings for that DnD dragon cloth? I've got the Ninjago Dragon that comes with these wings, they are cool.
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=38765&idColor=0#T=C&C=0
The wingspan on the build is roughly 20 inches.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Not dragon related but does anyone have a hint about which McLaren will be taking $450 from me in August? I assume it's the Senna

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

deoju posted:

Are the wings for that DnD dragon cloth? I've got the Ninjago Dragon that comes with these wings, they are cool.
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=38765&idColor=0#T=C&C=0
The wingspan on the build is roughly 20 inches.

looks like cloth with some technic pieces holding them up

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Deus Ex Macklemore posted:

Not dragon related but does anyone have a hint about which McLaren will be taking $450 from me in August? I assume it's the Senna

The Compaq laptop from 1992 that they need to interface with the F1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022
I too like the beholder out of all of this the most, even if it's just a bunch of snot bricks and slopes.

The displacer looks like it hasn't eaten in a century and the owlbear probably spent the same century stealing the displacer beast's food.

SkeletonHero posted:

Looks like this with this on the end and a dot on top for the eye (hopefully printed)

Those are definitely going to be printed. Alternatively the Dreamzzzzzzzzzz sets have the more catlike ones with vertical slits, so that's also an option.