Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I had to explain what the Concorde was to my late 40's friend who has spent about $20k on Lego since the start of COVID. He will probably buy the set but he literally had no idea about the real life Concorde that flew from the year he was born until 2003.

He saw my Porsche GT3 RS when visiting my house and then bought almost everything they've had out in the $80-$800 range since 2020 and he'd never even had a childhood set until then.

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

I'm building this one myself at the moment also. I bought a set of decal tweezers to deal with all this.

Anyone ever build anything from CADA? This being officially licensed by Mercedes Benz makes me curious, assuming that means it's decent quality. I've got a spare shelf and need another 1/8th size car to sit next to the orange Porsche GT3 RS.
https://decadastore.com/products/cada-mercedes-amg-one-c61503w

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Thanks for the feedback, all.

Sounds like "it'll probably be just fine" is the verdict, $300 on bootleg Lego is iffy but if the build is as entertaining and the product at the end is recognizable then it's what a decently sized Technics kit costs.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Saithir posted:

The Speed Champions McLaren finally arrived yesterday, so I built it and took to finally photographing my pitlane MOC properly:

This is the front 40 studs of MILS plates which are mostly the pitlane itself (and I had some cut 10 x 32 baseplate I got while buying some other bricks, so I cut it down to 8 and 2 stud ones and used the bigger here for the pit wall). Behind it is the garage itself (which is on another 32x32 baseplate) and behind that I made a small half-baseplate walkway and ended it up with the 2 stud strap for the F1 sign.

The F1 sign turned out reasonably well given that with the small space there is for it I can't really do the proper angles, the garage and the pit lane are okay, but a bit out of scale because the 8-wide speed champions are so drat big.

This is really cool, sorry that FIA is suing you now.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

a sexual elk posted:

Ordered a bit more red, think it’s done minus adding an interior

Nice work. I appreciate your Rustic Lego Crafting Table.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

a sexual elk posted:

stretched the front out by a stud Last night:

How many pieces is the Your Mom set anyhow? Heynow

This link to the bootleg minifigs is interesting, who's to say whether buying $100 worth of LoTR figures and setting up a room-sized battle diorama is good, or bad

Or perhaps $400 worth of knockoff 1/8th car models is the right choice!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

trevorreznik posted:

Careful, shipping isn't included (on joytoyworld it is). But the minifig shipping is real cheap. It's pretty clear there's a big market for using these guys as action figures - tons and tons of the minifigs there are just war (medieval, fantasy, ww2) oriented. Even buying the star wars droids is really cheap which is nice.

My favorite thing to buy there is the unofficial knockoffs of TV shows/movies, like Spider-verse and Ahsoka/Thrawn. Get 8 minifigs for about $10, the designs are all wild, and then my kid goes nuts putting them throughout his city having fights and acting out little scenes.

I had the yellow castle set (still do, for that matter) and some of the first wave of second gen grey sets when I was a kid and definitely had hundreds of hours of fun where the invaders stormed the walls of a huge megafortress I'd built, with the defense raining hot boiling bricks down on them etc.

Lots of beheadings in those battles, scraped printings etc. My old knights all show the toll.

Would definitely have loved having $10 worth of additional bootleg troops.

Thanks for these off-brand link rec's, everyone. that Saturn kit looks awesome and it's cool to see genres that the official Lego brand doesn't do.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Cats are inherently atheists, and as such are unable to act holier than anything due to not believing in such things.

It's under the couch or fridge, OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I want a 4000 piece Technics version of the BMW E92 M3. Anyone ever see bootleg/MOC builds of that car?