Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Pyroclastic posted:

In the last thread, I think someone mentioned a Lego store clerk asking a lone adult if they were buying for a child got chewed out by another clerk.
Anyone who works at a toy store should know better in this day and age.

That was me. It was kind of entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

3 posted:

hahahahaha i just noticed the slightly tweaked thread title

Those mods are sneaky bastards.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Here's just a reminder to everybody that there IS a LEGOon Facebook group.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=366643206503

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 26, 2010

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

edit: :siren: drat :siren:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=44402&st=75&p=786507&#entry786507

That is SO MANY tan cheese slopes

drat, that is a sexy set. Cool building techniques, and useful non-specialized parts. And SHITLOADS of tan cheese slopes!

I loves me some cheese slopes. They're some of the most useful pieces in my arsenal.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Uuuuggggg... not good. Bestlock might as well be called "Wontlock".

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Here's my current vignette, an astronomical observatory with CCD imager attached to cassegrain telescope (complete with mirror!), realistic focuser and working technic equatorial mount.

Click here for the full 505x819 image.

Click here for the full 688x711 image.

Click here for the full 482x660 image.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I know this is kind of off-topic, but I figured if anybody can appreciate this its a bunch of legoons.

I am actually in a position right now where being a lego hobbyist may actually help me get laid.

Has hell frozen over?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I particularly like the fly fisherman, the mustachioed aviator and the samurai.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Shuppiluliumas posted:

The new King's Castle uses the same pieces for its gate raising mechanism. This gate slides into those grooved bricks on either side, and is raised using a fairly clever use of this thing where its bars actually key into the holes in the gate like a gear. They also built in a little stop to keep the gate up, but there's actually enough tension built in to hold it as-is.

Also, look what came in at the Lego Store today:

If I get around to building it today, I'll post some highlights, but here's one definite highlight for now:

Yeah, that's tan.

I came.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

ZarathustraFollower posted:

The more I look at that mummy, the more I want someone to point out to LEGO that there really arn't any red scorpions. I thought it was a lobster.

Hottentotta saulcyi would like to have a word with you. :colbert:

In fact, the vast majority of genus Hottentotta thinks you're a racist rear end in a top hat.

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 20, 2010

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Hottentotta is more of brown and red. Sometimes yellow. You can ask the one behind me if you want, although he is most likely to sting you. Besides, H. hottentotta and H. trilineaus are the only ones really known.

Kind of surprised you didn't say R. junceus, but they got a good bit of other colours, and only look like the crazy pics after molting. Red spiders I understand as there are some that are decent enough.

Okay... you know more about this than I do.

And its pretty awesome you have a Hottentotta of your very own, even if it means you're destined for a Darwin Award one of these days.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Okay... I think it may be true love.

This girl I've been seeing for a couple of weeks is a serious LEGO hobbyist. She also spins, dyes and knits/crochets her own wool products and sells them.

A couple nights ago, she showed me her latest project; an incredibly detailed knit yarn doll of a lego minifig (about 8 inches tall and fully poseable) with interchangable heads patterned on popular minifig faces. It was one of the most awesome things I've ever seen. I very nearly came in my pants when she showed it to me.

And that's only one tiny facet of her awesomeness, and she's beautiful too. She also seems to have feelings for me, which is bizarre.

So yeah... If being an AFOL actually helps me get laid, I will declare AFOL a religion and try to get it a tax-exempt status. I will bow down and worship the Danish gods who helped improve my life.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Star Trek would be my vote by default simply because I've had a massive trek hard-on since I was 6 years old. I would do everything short of genocide to see officially licensed Star Trek LEGO kits.

That being said, I'm not really quite getting all the "Avatar" hate. The only thing I find insufferable about Avatar (besides the use of the word "Unobtanium") is the obsessive (somewhat perverted) fan base. Avatar really was the "Star Wars" for the current generation. Big, flashy, cool to look at, cinematic spectacle on a scale never before seen, and utterly derivative. I'm not trying to say it was the best movie ever made or anything, but I can certainly think of far worse ways to spend 3 hours. Avatar themed LEGO kits could be potentially really cool, with all the helicopters and mechs and gunships, I'm just concerned that anything from the blue alien things side would be way to greeble-centric.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

My girlfriend is making a halloween costume for herself of a giant Minifig.

It's official; I'm in love. :3:

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I added some photos of my sorting system to the LEGOons facebook group.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

That is pants-cummingly awesome.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I think that "rapper" is actually supposed to be K-Fed. That alone is hosed up beyond belief.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Moai Ou posted:

I just noticed that the hula girl's skirt is a separate piece. Has there been leg accessories like that before?

Yup, on the snow clone troopers.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Shiny!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

For those of us late to the party who didn't see all the photos before they were taken down, can somebody describe the new Technic Supercar? I'm utterly intrigued by that prospect, considering I've been becoming increasingly enamored with Technic.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

There's a link to it right on this page?

D'oh! Completely missed that. Sorry!

Too many panels.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

InfinEight posted:

I want the Battle for Geonosis set just so I can get my hands on those new friction extensions. I'm planning on buying at least two of these sets.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=457145

Jesus, what an amazing set of parts. I'm going to need to get 2 or 3 of these. That's beautiful.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Well, it looks like photos of my functioning LEGO Technic telegraph key (for ham radio operation) have been published in QST Magazine (the ARRL's monthly publication) without my permission or proper attribution.

This particularly sucks as I was planning on writing an article about the project to submit to that very publication, now I'm put in the awkward spot of having to prove that my property is my property.

Fuckheads.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Pagan posted:

http://lorelle.wordpress.com/2006/04/10/what-do-you-do-when-someone-steals-your-content/
http://asmp.org/tutorials/enforcing-your-rights.html
http://www.photoattorney.com/?p=515

Go there first. Don't be stressed, they now owe you a ton of money. If you have the original photograph or digital file, it's easy to prove that it's your image. You're looking at anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars. The best thing to do is approach them in a friendly way; something like "hey, that image is mine and I did not authorize it's use."

There have been quite a few cases like this recently, and people are normally able to get a settlement out of it that's more than what the photo would have sold for in the first place.

http://thomashawk.com/2010/10/steal-my-photos-please.html

Figure out what you want, first, then talk to the offending publication about how they broke the law.

I don't have the original files; those were wiped out when the computer they were stored on went tits up. I DO, however, still have the morse key itself. It's one of a kind, and can't be completely reproduced JUST from the photos.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Well, after finally seeing the article in question, it isn't my telegraph key after all (mine is better). I received bad information. Whew!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

CADPAT posted:

God drat you Lego thread.

I am so poor, but seeing all this cool Lego stuff really wants to get me back into it. My local store has an X-Wing and an ISD there. I'd also love the medieval village, but I just can't afford it :(.

I've sorted through all my old Lego but I have a lot less than I thought. I have it all organized by colour. I've been searching for garage sales and online classifieds but all that is kicking around is Mega Blocks and who wants that?

As consolation I got myself a mini X-Wing. Now I have to dig out some parts to build him a TIE Fighter to battle.

I have an entire squadron of mini x-wings. What I like to do is put them all together with subtle variations in coloring and then mount them in a larger diorama in attack formation.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

DrNewton posted:

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/8805_Minifigures_Series_5

The characters of Series Five Mini figures has been released. Not sure how new the news is ... rumor is it will be the last series.

IS THAT A loving GORN?!?!?!?!

Okay, I've been resisting the whole collectible minifig thing, but I NEED A loving GORN MINIFIG! Also, the mob hit-man with the violin case is loving badass.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Sair posted:

Apparently there's going to be a Star Wars advent calendar this year: http://www.brothers-brick.com/2011/04/27/star-wars-advent-calendar-contents-revealed/

Oh gently caress yes. The micro scale Slave-1 is awesome. I MUST HAVE THIS.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Joudas posted:

No it wouldn't. Your opinion on toys is wrong and your whole life is a sham.

And your failure to recognize that the microscale Slave 1 and Imperial shuttle aren't loving awesome exposes the poisonous, twisted heart of an individual with no taste.

Honestly, I could give two shits about the minifigs (except for Santa Yoda, he's awesome), but the microscale ships are extremely cool. This is the only time I've ever been really tempted to get a LEGO advent calendar.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Forgive me if this has already been posted, but I can't find a "cheat sheet" for the packages of Series 4 minifigs. My nearby Walmart finally got a shitload in stock and I tried feeling them up for the punk rocker and the Hazmat guy, wound up with two mad scientists and the racecar driver. Although I must say the little Erlenmeyer flasks and the racing trophy are awesome.

Anybody gots a cheat sheet? I really need that little Flying V guitar and the Hazmat guy.

Gah: nevermind, found it. Welp, I'm heading out to Wal-Mart.

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 29, 2011

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I'd amend that to three batches, because I found a couple of dot patterns that didn't match either cheat sheet I've seen. One of the altered dot patterns was for Hazmat guy.

Nonetheless, mission accomplished; bought two minifigs, and got EXACTLY the ones I wanted. Super Schweet! The little Flying V with the punk rocker is one of the greatest minifig accessories ever, and Hazmat guy is just the greatest THING ever.

Edit: While I was there, there was a married couple desperately feeling up packages to find a crazy scientist (because it reminded them of Dr. Horrible) and a Viking (because it's a freakin' viking). I came to the rescue with my cheat sheet and they asked me to join their D&D group. I politely declined, because gaming aint' my thang, but it was nice to help some fellow geeks in need.

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 29, 2011

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Arnold of Soissons posted:

What are the lamp chains?

Battle droid arms.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Stevoh posted:

Wow I feel really dumb. I thought the Porsches were it. I have to post these because these are just too cool not to:

This dude is really good at accurately mimicing the porportions and curves correctly. Lego should hire him!

I really like his use of steering wheels for the Mercedes logo. That's amazing.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Agreed. I've seen some ballsy new techniques in my day, but the simplicity and brilliance of that astounds me.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I... I think I just came.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Having gone to see the Thunderbirds perform at the USAF Academy graduation the other day, I've been itching to build an awesome fighter jet in LDD.

Work in progress: F-22 Raptor.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Update on the F22 Raptor:

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

To be fair, the Tyco superblocks were almost on par with LEGO in terms of quality. Easily the best of the knockoff bricks to ever hit the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Saint Sputnik posted:

Meantime I found this to ogle:

(source)

That is so beyond awesome. It's one of the most cleverly artistic LEGO models I've seen in a long time.