Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
All the new Technic poo poo is out today, including the Excavator. Picked up the new 8051 motorbike and spent most of the evening tweaking it to work better; the chain slips like crazy and the only printed brick on the thing is the clicky-hinge bubble canopy that makes up part of the tank, and that's got dorky tribal flames on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

PopeOnARope posted:

The shifty products are flat out ripoffs

So, they were slightly dodgy then? Maybe a little untrustworthy?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Lego is making an official douchebag minifig. This is fantastic.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

So what's the ldd price tag come to on that?

Your firstborn grows up Danish.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well obviously you weren't browsing one of the five or six legomecha sites on the entire net back in 2001. (I'm not denigrating or anything, leghands are hella old and kinda passe nowadays. I borrowed the technique for the two I built that year, and the site in question had already been up a couple years.)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pehther posted:

Brick separators are for pussies.

It's just not Lego until you're at risk of aspirating a 1x1 plate

(done this)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sockser posted:

That is a naked Santa in the shower. You'll also get a sword either from the kid with a drumset or from the helicopter apparently.

Technically it's a Santa in a Speedo in the shower.

Somehow that's worse.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

JESUS CHRIST

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mike the TV posted:

The winter bakery and toy store I bought beg to differ.

Lego is a spiral. You start at City, progress through Space or Adventure or Pirates to Creator, then to Technic, and then you loop back to City, but this time there's a thousand blocks in a set and none of the studs point up.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

InfinEight posted:

Alien Conquest looks pretty drat awesome

The space theme this year is X-Com! But how will they replicate the gut-churning terror you got as squaddie after squaddie from your first platoon was greased by bulbous-headed Things, almost invisible in the dark?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Brothers Brick (via MTV) has the first official look at the PotC sets:

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2011/02/01/lego-pirates-of-the-caribbean-sets-and-video-games-trailer-news/

Ok, I know Barbossa's in the new movie, but I ain't see him at all in any of these sets. Also I swear some of them are from the previous films, like the Cannibal Escape.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Red_Fred posted:

You could do this with Blacktron helmets, but who would know?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you Just Don't Fuckin' Care about bastardizing your lego, you can jam a bit of wire through the slots in a technic friction pin to massively increase its resistance to movement. S'how I built my variable fighter from like a decade ago.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

PopeOnARope posted:

Though it's definitely drop dead gorgeous, the lengthy stretch of trans-blue really evokes thoughts of other things. Have you thought of fitting it with a motor to simulate the vibration of weapons fire?

Yeah now that you mention it, it does look kind of like an R-type crossed with a core fighter :v:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

VanSandman posted:

I wonder what most people make with their first original thing? I know I made tons of spaceships, and a great many bases as well.

As a kid? Some variant of tank with random bits on and the friction-motor as a base, though I was super proud of a little blacktron spaceship. As a grown-rear end man? A motherfucking Variable Fighter. (Although my techniques were questionable and included stuffing technic pins with bits of wire to increase the friction, and sanding down plates. e: also I don't have pictures of the original, I rebuilt it for better color coherence and I got no idea where the darn thing's got to)

Phy fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 4, 2011

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Guzwar posted:

STARCOM :monocle:

Good lord, the Starcom bomber!

All the G1 transformers are pretty amazing too

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ambiguatron posted:

A Darkseid minifig would be the greatest thing.

DARKSEID IS four studs wide

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Revol posted:

Thor has never had his beard braided, it has never been that long, and it has always been blonde.

On the other hand, Thor has been a frog.

I'd see if I could bleach that poo poo, and go from there.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Krazyface posted:

In Australia, they've sold out of everything except for the jet-copter and that little car thing. Why, why did the line have to be Target-exclusive?

I just wish they'd made the Vic Viper a set by itself.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Fantastic, Lego. You've managed to remind me of the nightmares I forgot I used to have after watching too much X-Files as a kid. :ohdear:

Seriously, gently caress Greys. Though it ought to come with the kid legs, and maybe a window from which it can peer in at you while you sleep. (Locking it does nothing! They can abduct you through solid glass!)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenophon posted:

Well I didn't want Lego hassling SA's mods, but it should be fine if they don't have the set # (all of which were five digits, starting with 10, like the other exclusives):

Kingdoms Joust
Town Hall
R2-D2
Sopwith Camel
B-Wing

Sopwith Camel sounds dreamy...

Wanna see that B-Wing. And the Camel.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ireladd posted:

Series 6:

bandit
Jesus, all that bandit needs is a Dracula cape and he could be The Shadow.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shuppiluliumas posted:

As a kid, I never had this happen. IMO, QC isn't quite as good as it once was. I've had a couple missing pieces in the last couple years. I've also had whole missing bags and/or duplicates of other bags, which seems to happen more often now as well.

I actually had an entire parts bag missing from the Emerald Night set, which I didn't notice until I had everything torn open and mixed up. Had to call their customer service, since the form wasn't big enough, and once we figured out it was missing a bag and not just random parts, they fixed me right up.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sexual Lorax posted:

Hardest ownage in that entire picture for me by far is the Classic Space logo on the shoulder of the space marine. That might be the first one of these figures yet that I need excessive multiples of.

Given the droid and clone trooper lunacy we just saw go by, I should clarify excessive in the context as nine or so...a couple squads of four and one to yell "DO YOU WANT TO LIVE FOREVER, YOU APES?!?"

I'm thinking like a Classic-style moonbase with a cafeteria, all the little classic minifigs are sitting around chatting it up with their helmets off and Space Marine has a table all to himself

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

InfinEight posted:

Found this today and was pretty impressed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFjREmhAAOQ

It's always amazing to see a creative idea in action and this is one of those things that makes me go "drat, I wanna try that."

Oh yeah, good old screwtank. If you could make the screwdrums hollow and watertight it works on water, as well. Not really the most efficient drive system, but it is crazy versatile so long as you keep it to a soft surface like snow or turf.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ziploc posted:

So Halloween.

(Me)

I need one of these visors.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fooley posted:

This makes me think of something. What's the oldest set anyone has they never took apart? And I mean built once and left. I've had one of those Technic Pit Droids on my shelf for the longest time. Probably because the rubber bands broke, and I don't have much Technic besides it to use for MOCs.

Do you mean with no tweaks? Man, that's actually pretty tough, I always end up fixing one slightly clumsy thing or another. I think it'd have to be the second-latest A-Wing. I still have a B-wing all together but I rebuilt it so that the studs were on the other side, I've got a few technic motorbikes that I tweaked a little... didn't do jack to the big front end loader or zoom-boom though, but the A-wing's older than both.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

I want to buy the Fire Station to do exactly that kind of conversion. :hfive:

EDIT: In other news:

I know it's supposed to be a no-good gunslinger but all I see is

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Merchant of Death posted:

Star wars will likely never go away, and I do love the UCS sets for the most part. This year we might be getting a UCS b-wing

Oh goddamnit. How am I supposed to justify this to myself.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm surprised they don't count the Mars minifigs.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Well Manicured Man posted:

The paneling surrounding the cockpit can unfold...

ENGAGE DEATH BLOSSOM MODE

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I really dig this, it's like a cross between Fallingwater, a rack of ribs, and a Swiss Army Knife.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Great Green Auk posted:

I loved Legos as a kid (still do)

*posts something I was considering picking up in university*

Welp it's back to the PYF Things That Make You Feel Old thread for me

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

InfinEight posted:

You aren't a man until you've walked barefoot across a linoleum floor covered in 1x1 plates and mini-fig heads :c00lbert:

John McClane never had it so bad.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lizard Combatant posted:

Truly, Superman fights for the American Way.

Also, I can't choose between the space shuttle and the emerald night. Help!

The shuttle looks pretty cool, but Emerald Night is both classy as gently caress and is a genuine 4-6-2 loco with unique wheels. Also it's based on a real steam train.

E: would definitely like to have another five or ten passenger cars, even though it wouldn't fit in my bookcase any more.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

Wolfman stop waving those trowels at me! :ohdear:

Wolfman I do not want those chicken feet.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Lego was better, but construx was still really good. And you could make huge stuff out of it without your folks sinking a few hundred dollars into your lego collection.

Hmm... wonder what happened to my k'nex battlemech?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Zaks?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaks

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dr. Platypus posted:

From what I hear, Lego is really good about replacing missing bags of parts. Just call customer service and see what they'll do for you.

They are fantastic. I had the same thing happen with the Emerald Night - a whole bunch of parts missing, worked out on the phone with them that there was a bag missing - and they sent me a whole new bag. Didn't even have to send back the double-packed one, so now I've got a swack of green bits lying around somewhere.

I'm not super happy about their final QC, but their customer service is top notch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sloppy posted:

and some thick baseplates that are entirely hollow on the underside

Just thinking about this makes me strangely uncomfortable, like contemplating p-zombies.