Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022
Was super late doing the holiday sets this year, but I've managed to make a good enough base. I converted the elf house and santa's visit house (the light blue one) to be smaller and with a closed backs, and on the back of holiday main street I've just slapped together a back wall (and one extra front) with just random leftovers. I'll be getting the proper sand green and tan pieces soon, so they will at least look nice.

Still need to figure out a way to decorate the flat ground somehow, because a straight plate is really boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022

Destroyenator posted:

Bunch of white slope pieces like the bottom of the probe droid?

I ran out of slopes already, but that's also an option :)

I was thinking about making some kind of tiled wide sidewalk with extra wedge plates for snow - all that between tracks and buildings and in a T like the sleds/carriage are standing now, but I need to see how many tiles I'm missing until it looks decent.

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022
Super late Winter Village update:

I've done a cobblestone road/sidewalk thingy, but ran out of 2x2 tiles. Not a fan of the sides and the gaps between the tiles, but there's not really anything to fill them with good as the triangle tiles don't fit this way, so there are little gaps here and there. Just a little annoyance though, I like it overall.

Also had to use the road plates for part of it just like I thought - just not enough tiles. Since it's occupied by the Santa's sled anyway it's not that bad I think. The right side has those big rear end wedge plates which is also okay because there's the carriage on top of it so they're not that visible. The backs of the buildings on the left are still waiting for the arrival of extra pieces from bricklink, so they'll be looking right hopefully tomorrow.

I also found some cheap unused led light chain with warm white leds, so I've integrated it into the buildings.

I also managed to have a small heart attack when I moved the connected baseplates and everything on top back to the smaller coffee table and loving dropped the whole drat thing - fortunately most of it stayed connected with the jumpers it sits on, so I didn't have to rebuild much.

I like the lights. Even without a proper light kit and just with regular cheapo leds it adds a lot of ambience.

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022
When your cooking skills are terrible, but it's a wasteland all around and you have no choice but to cook for yourself...

Finally got the photography itch and properly got back into building smaller mocs for photography purposes. Pretty happy with this one actually. Whole thing is on an 8x16 baseplate and is basically a bunch of plates and bricks, a guy and his motorcycle.

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022
The Speed Champions McLaren finally arrived yesterday, so I built it and took to finally photographing my pitlane MOC properly:

This is the front 40 studs of MILS plates which are mostly the pitlane itself (and I had some cut 10 x 32 baseplate I got while buying some other bricks, so I cut it down to 8 and 2 stud ones and used the bigger here for the pit wall). Behind it is the garage itself (which is on another 32x32 baseplate) and behind that I made a small half-baseplate walkway and ended it up with the 2 stud strap for the F1 sign.

The F1 sign turned out reasonably well given that with the small space there is for it I can't really do the proper angles, the garage and the pit lane are okay, but a bit out of scale because the 8-wide speed champions are so drat big.

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022

Lizard Combatant posted:

Post your favourite new or upcoming pieces.

That round hollow stud with the handle looks like it could be useful too

It's apparently from late last year sets, but I somehow managed to avoid buying any of these and only got my first one in the McLaren.

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022

Skios posted:

Anyway, new Ideas competition is out. 1980s theme, with previously used IPs (Tron, Indiana Jones, et cetera) explicitly barred.

It's a shame you have to build the submissions in studio, that software is so annoying to use. Limited physical brick amounts aside, it's so much easier (and obviously more enjoyable) to just keep putting bricks together until it looks like it should.

Oh wait I read the rules again and I can submit photos of actual bricks. Hmmmm.

Saithir fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 7, 2024

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022
Meanwhile I've built yet another F1 thingy. I've bought myself the cheaper Cada Alfa Romeo. I paid like an equivalent of 18 dollars for it, which is not a bad price for 271 licensed (though not Lego original) pieces. Someone lately was asking if they're good enough, so I might as well write a bit about it.

Not gonna build a MOC for this one though, because it's even bigger in scale than the Speed Champions.

The build was pretty okay, a bit blocky but it's not a big build, so really hard to get all the curves right. There aren't really any fancy building techniques apart from this, which I thought was hilarious:

Both front and back suspensions use the mechanic tools in them - the front has the hexagonal wrench, the back one pictured here has the regular one and later on there are also screwdrivers attached to the wheels for the last bit. It also means I get two halves of a tools set leftover to use, because those come as a pack on a sprue.

The instructions... are. They're definitely a step back from Lego but there were only a few instances where I had to stop and think for a moment and maybe look at a next page or two to see how it should go together.

The piece quality on the other hand is very good. They clutch nicely, everything fits together like it should, nothing wants to fall off, and really the only difference I could see is that the recent Lego pieces have a lot of visible injection marks on them and the Cada ones don't. :colbert:

What I disliked was the stickers though. Like I get it, it's a licensed F1 set, it's gonna have stickers all over it, but somehow it feels a bit too much... The only printed part is the little info plaque, everything else is a sticker, there are even some that go across multiple parts, like the ones that go on the engine cover with the driver number or the Italian flag on the back wing.

So if you thought your BMW had a lot of these, think again ;) They even have stickers for tires, which was a bit disappointing - they don't want to hold onto the rubber in any way, so I gave up after trying to do just one of them (and there are 8 stickers for those, because the insides of the tires are also supposed to have markings). I could try my best, but since they're the hard slick tire markings on a clearly non-slick tire, I don't really give a poo poo. Maybe in a few years Cada will figure out how to print more than one piece per set.

So in one sentence, which I think sums up most of the non-Lego sets I've personally seen:

I don't hate it.

Saithir fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 7, 2024

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022

Skios posted:

That Lego Batman thing isn't for me, but it's probably the coolest thing they've done so far with the wall-mounted stuff.

The 3D-ish Spidey was pretty cool, no?

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022

bird with big dick posted:

This person called Lego crap

To be fair it's all about half-built car sets. What good is a Lego car if you can't drive it around?

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022

Lizard Combatant posted:

Torso looks like it's from a Lois Lane maybe?

e: it is, not sure where the arms are from though

Arms are these, that's a gourmet chef from CMF series 17

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022

Dogen posted:

On these new speed champion slicks, is there a good way to cover up the axle? I’m thinking of trying to get a black round tile in there maybe, just curious if anyone else has messed around with em

You mean on the outside? You can get the blank wheel cover pieces (part 49098), does that not work?

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022

It's disappointing that they forgot to include the most important character of the set on the box (I mean on the little circle icons there).

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022

Flyinglemur posted:

The rear spoiler is underwhelming IMO.

Yeah, it's definitely too thick and could use some more space between it and the end of the car.

Maybe if it was mounted with the droid arms and some bars so it sits higher or something.

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022
I too like the beholder out of all of this the most, even if it's just a bunch of snot bricks and slopes.

The displacer looks like it hasn't eaten in a century and the owlbear probably spent the same century stealing the displacer beast's food.

SkeletonHero posted:

Looks like this with this on the end and a dot on top for the eye (hopefully printed)

Those are definitely going to be printed. Alternatively the Dreamzzzzzzzzzz sets have the more catlike ones with vertical slits, so that's also an option.

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022

a sexual elk posted:

So I smashed em together:

Man here has the chance to build the TIE-Defender and decides to make... this.

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022
And pretty much every lambo set they released where you get all kinds of new panels in new and exciting colours.

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022
I think they're kinda meh.

Apart from the gray tourist and the aliens-in-a-suit guy they're pretty boring, half of them are just nostalgia baits and the other half don't really fit there. Just release a new m-tron and/or blacktron ideas set and be done with it.

And then there are like the numbers 4, 9 and 11 which are just why. The dog isn't even in a space suit or anything, the kitchen robot is barely on theme and the last guy is clearly just a filler to get to 12 figs.

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022

Sunk Dunk posted:

achtuallly the dog is a robot

Oh, is it? It's kinda hard to see from that terrible image. That's only minimally better though.

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022

ijyt posted:

hows life being this miserable

Pretty good, thanks. :shrug:

And it is exactly like Waltzing Along says - I just never got the classic space nostalgia virus when I was a kid*, so I look at the minifigs for what they are, and if you look at the m-tron guy for example, it's the most generic spaceman minifig ever produced (with a 1x2 brick in dark bluish gray, woooooooooooooooo, so unique), its only quality is being an m-tron.

* I was too young for classic space sets and then I wasn't a rich kid (which in early 90's Poland was very much a requirement as the cheap sets were pretty bad) for the blacktrons.

Saithir fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Mar 26, 2024

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022

Not mine but hilarious nonetheless

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022
Here on my local ebay-ish board (we don't use Ebay in Poland that much, they lost the fight to our local company) there are like two for 70-ish dollars after conversion and one listing for 90-ish.

At this price point just bricklink it. Except the eyes it's gonna be like 1/4th of that.

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022

deoju posted:

I bet you could get it for $25 plus shipping.

Yeah, it's telling me about $17-ish plus shipping and that's probably because of the purples, if I'd swap those to a more popular colour it's probably gonna be cheaper still. So no, a box I'll throw away and 4 printed eyes aren't worth an extra > 60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022

Phy posted:

That Knight mech lookin more than a little Patlabor imo

The original z-blob mech has a patlabor-ish (with kinda shorter ears though) helmet as an alternate build too, so might not a coincidence.

The raven is cool too, but I'm disappointed how they managed to make a dream t-rex boring.