Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

I don't know any of those, but I've just been getting back into Lego gradually the past year.

I've been doing a ton of the different complex types of sets, but I also like doing the art ones with the single round studs. I'm about 2/3 of the way to finishing the 3 x 9 bonus plan Darth Vader. I already splurged and got a few others like the iron man, world map, uh target mini art (all on sale) and just picked up the Batman ones from zavvi on sale Are there any tools to sort of rasterize pictures to Lego that work well? I'd love to do some cool ones of other things I like or even family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Yeah I would say Lego 1 is maybe B+, Lego 2 is C+, Batman is A-, and Ninjago is C. None are downright terrible, but 2 and Ninjago are forgettable and only if you are a fan, have kids, or feel a need to have them all.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

I ended up getting the Hogwarts one. I've bought a few of the other smaller ones and feel like some of the smaller sets, like the busts, are ones I could use to learn how to make my own.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

I'm getting a kick out of all green lego people.

On a more serious note, I think it doesn't really matter the color - the issue is that they are all the same color. This is representative of a lot of other toys, media, etc that all depict everyone the same color, white. Thus, it doesn't matter what color. The problem isn't color, it is a lack of diversity and variety of colors. In this case, I think the person who said the Simpsons did them no favors is spot on re: yellow.

I understand the brand association with yellow figures, but I really think it is one of those assumed things that marketing and companies get fearful of. People still buy all sorts of brands that have changed their logo over time with no effect. To me the simplest thing is just start including mix of different colored lego people, including shades of more brown, tans, reds, yellows (and even go wild with other colors) in all the sets. You don't even need to make a big announcement or deal about it; just do it. When people inevitably ask you can just explain it is the nautural evolution of lego to add more detail and diversity, just like with the other types of representations they have added to the yellow figures.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

graventy posted:

This is a remarkably lame excuse to continue doing the same thing we've always done. "It's policy!"

Garbage answer. It isn't a hard issue or one to make lightly. They have the capabilities to do it, have done it before, and can decide to do whatever they want to do - like making gigantic collector sets or raising prices across the year after setting record or near record profits. It is something they are actively choosing to do by not changing their "policy". I absolutely hate the excuse of not changing something because it goes against tradition or policy or is something we haven't done before - no poo poo, that's why it is called change.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

radlum posted:

I want to gift myself a Lego set this Christmas; my local distributor has the Noodle Shop with a discount and I was gonna get it, until I saw that the T-Rex Breakout from Jurassic Park was also on discount. I like the movie a lot and it looks good, but since it's a bit more expensive I wanted to know if it's a fun kit to build or not.

I liked it quite a bit. The vehicle had some neat things going on in reverse as you built it and the actual rex came together very differently than other lego dinosaurs do.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Of course it had to be a white rabbit instead of a brown one. :argh: Lego

One a more serious note I like the idea of them doing one of these each year. Also the picture of the bunny with the ears down definitely got a "aww" out of me.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

I was trying to decide if the octopus is one of those creatures that poops out of his mouth (it doesn't) and ended up watching a video of an anemone eating an octopus poop noodle, so uh thanks Lego thread.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

I recently got into a bunch of the moc block sets and lepin. Some are bootleg versions of Lego sets and some are their own thing. There are sometimes some weird instructions or janky connections, but it's worth it when the prices are much more reasonable.

I still but Lego for a few main sets, but I just can't pay the prices they are asking now, especially when I am buying for myself, my wife, and both my kids...

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Rad Valtar posted:

I use it for something similar because it helps me to focus on the present. It was something my therapist recommended and I was like oh I'm already into them. Now I have an excuse to buy more and not feel guilty.

Ditto. Lego helps me deal with anxiety and is also a key part of my alcoholic recovery program.

Even with the price increases they are still cheaper than my habit lol.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Infinitum posted:

I'd honestly buy something like this over the Rivendell set

Especially if there were sets for all 3 films

I'm pretty sure I've seen ones for the other 2 movies on aliexpress. I definitely know there was a mini that had baradur and mt doom.

Edit: yep, Two towers: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-29411/benbuildslego/the-lrd-of-the-rings-the-two-towers/#details

ROTK: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-29781/benbuildslego/the-lrd-of-the-rings-the-return-of-the-king/#details

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Ant farm is awesome and such a creative and brilliant idea.

I like castles and space and all that stuff, but there is already so much like that. All the castle entries just sort of blur together for me. Maybe I'm just not quite the right audience though.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

No homegrown please

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

I would do heinous, unspeakable things for a good Lego PRR T1 locomotive.

Anyone who thinks all trains are ugly has never seen a T1, it’s literally Art DecoXenomorph: The Train and it’s gorgeous.

Fixed that for you.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

I use webrick but I don't think they offer official lego pieces. There's a nice upload tool that uses all sorts of common files from designer software: https://www.webrick.com/toolkit

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Asked about stock x cause it seems like the at-at sells regularly at around 500 dollars which is really drat tempting.

Really want to pick that up before it retires but want to find it at a discount. Can’t really bring myself to spend another 850 on a LEGO set but…it’s a big at at I need it lol

How do you feel about buying bootleg versions of those sets? There's some pretty good resources on Reddit /lepin for trustworthy places to buy from. I've bought from this site before and they have a clone version for under $200: https://www.youmko.com/products/-ucs-at-at-star-wars-75313-building-blocks-bricks-6782%C2%B1pcs-toys-from-china?VariantsId=17919

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Sunk Dunk posted:

Do you guys use any resources to track sales/deals? I want to pickup the ecto1 in the future so I wanna keep a lookout

Slickdeals alerts for the word Lego works surprisingly well.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

the holy poopacy posted:

The Nintendo at least had the added nostalgia of the 80s TV cabinet and the novelty of the scrolling game display, without that the consoles are just visually uninteresting chunks of plastic.

And the game cart that you can insert in and push down. Then inside of it actually mimicks the internals and was fun to build. I really like the way some of the parts came together on that.

Plus, the controller fits perfectly in Bowser's hands to make them look great next to each other.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Thirding that the nes was a fun build and looks nice too.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Beasteh posted:

I built the big bad Bowser and he is just so exciting and chunky, what a display piece

Also got insect collection and they are fantastic I love the colors

Piranha plant coming on Thursday too

I forget if it was here where I learned this, but the NES controller from the LEGO set fits perfectly in Bowser's hands if you feel like spending more on blocks, haha.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

Naw. No one in LA calls LA LAX. No one in SF calls SF SFO. But people in Bangkok do call the city BKK.

I'm assuming they interpreted "place" to mean airport name, not city. Meaning people in LA don't call LAX, uh whatever dumb official name it has, and instead just LAX. Whereas most people call the Chicago airports O'Hare and Midway.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Snowmankilla posted:

Man. Now I’m torn. I thought that one sucks and I supposed to get the bootleg one?

I built the "bootleg" one and really really like it.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Fatkraken posted:

hey y'all, wondering if I could ask for advice/instructions on how to achieve something?

Basically a friend has a birthday coming up, enjoys DnD and likes lego, the big DnD set is way too expensive and too big for them to display in their crowded HMO rental, but the mimic dice box would be *perfect*. I can't afford the secondary market, but I saw that that all the parts other than the eyes are non exclusive, and there was a version someone made with slit-pupil eyes that looked prefectly fine. I've never used bricklink, and I don't know where I'd get the instructions, but I'd really like to put together a set with either printed instructions or a PDF link for them to use. Is there anyone out there who does the legwork and I could buy a good-to-go kit from at a reasonable markup vs the raw bricklink/PAB cost, failing that could someone walk me through the process? birthday is end of May, my location is UK.

Search LEGO mimic on Amazon and there are some kits there.

These aren't official LEGO, but Chinese knockoff. They function mostly the same, although sometimes the parts can be looser or tighter due to crappy quality control. They also don't have LEGO stamped on the top of every stud. I've actually built that knockoff mimic set a year ago and it worked well and it's cool.

Your other option would be to go here and buy this PDF instructions: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-40792/gabizon/treasure-cave-a-mimic-monster/#details

At that link you can find a tab that has the parts list for importing into bricklink for ordering to make things easy on you. Little more work overall, but official LEGO if that matters to you.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Fatkraken posted:

that's a different mimic, I saw someone post a reddit link here a few weeks ago with a proper facsimile of the original, just with the eyes switched out for slit pupil eyes.

EDIT: OK so I found this reverse engineered version that was posted earlier in the thread, it has an imgur album for instructions so that's sorted, but I don't know the best way to actually get the parts. There's a parts list on rebrickable here: https://rebrickable.com/users/ClintM/lists/368957/#parts how do I turn that into ordering the actual pieces? when I click "buy parts" there are no individual bricklink stores that have 100% of the parts, I understand there's some method for piecing together an order form multiple stores but I don't know how to do that for the best price. I'd ideally like to spend no more than £30 total.

Oh, I thought any mimic would be fine, but if you want the exact (or near exact) one that was a gwp, then I dont think you are going to do it for that price. If it's 600+ pieces,some of which are likely bigger/rare parts then I'd guess at least $60 piecemeal. At that point, I would just buy that $80 that was posted above.

I think when you are in the buy part of rebrickable you select multibuy and that gives you different filters to try and get the best price. Just click around and you should find it. Still skeptical on $30, but you might be able to get lucky with stores in the UK I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Fatkraken posted:

it's 168 pieces with a raw bricklink price of under £20, I just want to get it for something close to that once shipping is in effect. I didn't see the multibuy option though, I think that's what I needed, so thanks

Oh, yeah that makes sense then. I must have been temporarily dyslexic and read 168 as 618 or something. Glad it sounds like it will work out for you.