Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Torrannor posted:

Some characters in Sandersons books die, but it's to fit their character arc or for story purposes, it's never done to shock you.

I wouldn’t say never, but mostly.

I can think of at least one instance of a woman being suddenly fridged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

stramit posted:

Maybe this is factually wrong but to me it felt like Sanderson had his initial rise to popularity when the markets were getting over saturated with dark fantasy like grrm. It was a great contrast and really needed.

and GRRM rose to prominence because of Robert Jordan, and RJ rose to prominence because of people tired of tolkien knockoffs. Which is hilarious, because the first book is "What if Gandalf a woman?!"

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

stramit posted:

Maybe this is factually wrong but to me it felt like Sanderson had his initial rise to popularity when the markets were getting over saturated with dark fantasy like grrm. It was a great contrast and really needed.

I mean Mistborn era 1 was what really shot him into popularity and id consider that the most grim dark or his main series.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

socialsecurity posted:

I mean Mistborn era 1 was what really shot him into popularity and id consider that the most grim dark or his main series.

The thing I really liked about Mistborn era 1 was the lack of sexual violence. When I was a teenager/early 20something, I had, unfortunately, read the Sword of Truth series. They loved to talk about rape. Maybe not to the degree of GRRM but still they loved to talk about "oh this kingdom was taken, look at all these dead women tied to the beds. they were raped before their throats were slit"

gently caress Terry Goodkind. Glad that rear end in a top hat is dead.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

space uncle posted:

I just finished my first Sanderson book, The Way of Kings.

I really enjoyed it, probably could have used a bit of editing to slim down from 1124 pages. But I was engrossed the whole time. When I finally figured out that they basically live in a coral reef (600 pages in?) I got pretty excited.

Maybe this is just me not reading too much fantasy recently or making an unfair comparison - but I kept waiting for a Game of Thrones type turn. It’s like I have a flinch reflex from those books “oh I like this character for the last 1000 pages, time for them to die horribly.”

Anyway I was glad that didn’t happen. Made for a nice chill book more in the vein of Lord of the Rings than GOT.

Whoop Whoop. Welcome to the Sando craziness. I would suggest you read Warbreaker before Word of Radiance. Please post your thoughts FOR EVERY CHAPTER while you read every Brandon Sanderson book. We eat those thoughts, opinions, and feelings up. Ask any questions as well. Welcome aboard!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mordiceius posted:

:emptyquote:

Also, remember that banning guns is the same as banning fire, also communism is bad, and also, mass war crimes are good if they are done by the right people. Also also, the Clintons are extras super duper bad, which is why the Clinton stand-ins die from an incurable STD, in addition to all the other bad things that happened to them in the end. Objectivism is the only correct way to think, and being vegan is evil. Also also, being a pacifist is evil.

I can hardly believe I read all this crap as a teenager.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

The thing I really liked about Mistborn era 1 was the lack of sexual violence. When I was a teenager/early 20something, I had, unfortunately, read the Sword of Truth series. They loved to talk about rape. Maybe not to the degree of GRRM but still they loved to talk about "oh this kingdom was taken, look at all these dead women tied to the beds. they were raped before their throats were slit"

Oh absolutely, even reading something like Dresden makes me feel slimy where the main character describes every teenagers tits. He's gotten better in recent years but people used to complain about his Mormonism making things too sexless, I prefer that to the rapefest that is many other fantasy series.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Grundulum posted:

Sanderson isn’t Martin. He has his own tendencies that you might notice, but he doesn’t seek to write the same kind of fantasy stories Martin does.

Now that you’re a whole one book into the series, can you make some guesses about what is going to happen in future books? What moments seem like they’ll be important later on? What do you expect the characters to do? And, maybe most importantly, do you think Shallan is hilarious or just irritating?

I never read any Goodkind, from the reactions it sounds like I dodged a bullet.

I did finish the first Robert Jordan novel but didn’t really care for it. I think hearing that Sanderson was tied into finishing the series (even though I always heard it in the context of praise) put me off trying his books.

I enjoyed Rothfuss, I enjoyed Dresden files, also enjoyed Joe Abercrombie. I read all of the Game of Thrones books and found the latter two fairly weak but wanted to know what was going to happen. I’m not sure if it’s just hitting a point in my life where I’m too old or too stressed out or too strapped for time - but I no longer want to read a Martin-style book where every page is grimmer and darker than the last. I’m sure there’s even more depressing non fiction and people reading that would tease me for avoiding uncomfortable fantasy novels, but whatever.

Ok but back to TSA:TWOK thoughts per your excellent book club prompts.

Spoilers for the The Way of Kings only:
Guesses for what is going to happen further in the series:

We need to get the band back together. There’s that very first opening scene with 10 dudes giving up 10 swords (Knights Radiant? dawnbringers? Surgebinders? All of the above). Void bringers / Desolation / Odium will come back. Once the band is back together they can help fight them. If the Desolations are cyclical then we will need to go one step further beyond just fighting the bad guys and break the cycle, which apparently has never happened. Ghostbloods got mentioned at the very end so they gotta figure out what those guys deal is, no idea whose side they are on.

I think the the “Unite them” is referring to bringing the humans and the Parshendi/parshmen together. I know the big reveal at the end is that the Parshmen are voidbringers but they seem like reasonable dudes for the most part so I doubt they get set up to be straight up otherworldly evil shadow demons.

Important stuff - need to resolve the assassination mission of Szeth against Dalinar and also figure out what the gently caress Taravangian is doing with all these assassinations.

Kaladin needs to have a moment of respite and not be on the verge of death / nervous collapse / guilt driven suicide for one thousand straight pages.

Renarin needs to do more stuff, not sure what his deal is.

Looking forward to Sadeas’s comeuppance which I did unfortunately spoil for myself (I just wanted to see if Dalinar and Adolin were gonna live OK)

Shallan started out as irritating when she was an adorkable spoiled child being carried around a city by slaves and pirates. She definitely grew on me with her love of reading and drawing. If she eats any more loving bread or jam I will roll my eyes so hard though. Please diversify your diet lady. I liked her sections with Jasnah, I like learning more about the world through them. The Soulcaster fake caught me totally by surprise. She also mentioned killing her dad which was never explained? Interesting. Marble world (Shadesmar) has been kind of whelming so far but could get cool later.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

space uncle posted:

Looking forward to Sadeas’s comeuppance which I did unfortunately spoil for myself (I just wanted to see if Dalinar and Adolin were gonna live OK)

Never self-spoil yourself with Brandon Sanderson's books because spoilers last multiple books, and that sucks the fun out of reading them. You have some good guesses but you'll need to read and find out. However, I will repeat myself, and say you should read Warbreaker before Words of Radiance. All books are connected for a reason :allears:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also for avoidjng spoilers. The coppermind wiki does have a time machine mode (where you set it to the wiki as of the day before a book was released), but it only really works well for like, oathbringer and on when they had a decently built wiki

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
The first 10 chapters of the Dragonsteel Prime audiobook just got posted on Brandon's YouTube https://youtu.be/NxITmA3tads?si=Htjmrl0CaspHQ4xl

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

Speaking of lovely grimdark fantasy, I've been listening to Way of Kings Prime on my commute and I'm super glad the final book didn't include the Shallan rape and multiple forced child marriages.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

space uncle posted:

I never read any Goodkind, from the reactions it sounds like I dodged a bullet.

Goodkind is a cross between Robert Jordan and GRRM but taking the worst elements of both of them.

He died a couple years ago to "undisclosed causes" - I am willing to put money down that he died to covid and was a covid denier. He was 72 years old and it was Sept. 2020.

Get hosed, shithead.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

taco_fox posted:

Speaking of lovely grimdark fantasy, I've been listening to Way of Kings Prime on my commute and I'm super glad the final book didn't include the Shallan rape and multiple forced child marriages.

ew, thanks for the warning, cross that one off my list

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

eke out posted:

ew, thanks for the warning, cross that one off my list
TWoK Prime is... an interesting curiosity. It's a bad book (Hard Mode challenge: read it and give a drat about anyone except, maybe, Dalinar), but it's interesting to see the proto-versions of characters who eventually became good and a world and magic system that eventually became interesting.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah i frankly don't have a lot of interest in a "i wrote a whole book but i needed to throw it out and rewrite it completely" deal like twok prime

dragonsteel at least will have some hints at what the heck is going on in the rest of his universe he's still cagey about

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

eke out posted:

yeah i frankly don't have a lot of interest in a "i wrote a whole book but i needed to throw it out and rewrite it completely" deal like twok prime

I'm of the mind that, generally speaking, if an author says "This was bad, that's why I didn't publish it" then I have zero interest in even looking. Because if it's worse than Elantris, then it must be really bad.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Mordiceius posted:

I'm of the mind that, generally speaking, if an author says "This was bad, that's why I didn't publish it" then I have zero interest in even looking. Because if it's worse than Elantris, then it must be really bad.

Same, TWoK Prime has no interest for me

Like if some other people find some archaeological points of interest I'd find that fascinating but I'm not going to dig into a malformed product

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Chapter 82 of Oathbringer (The Girl Who Stood Up) might be my favorite individual chapter of any Brandon book.