Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fed_dude
May 31, 2004
I'm about 400 pages in and really enjoying it. There are times where I feel like he's got a checklist next to him while writing, with all the elements that make Jordan and Martin great on the list, and he's just going through one by one making sure he has those elements.

But nonetheless, very enjoyable so far. If you like epic fantasy a la Wheel of Time and Song of Ice and Fire, you'll like this. If you don't like those other things, this doesn't have anything too different to offer, so you probably won't like Sanderson, either.

It is nice to have a really good, big epic that's not written by a fat old man likely to die in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fed_dude
May 31, 2004
Final review from me: I liked it, best new fantasy in years. I haven't read his earlier books, so I dunno about the alleged improvement in his prose. They missed some words, especially in the first part of the book, but that is editing's fault. And there was one paragraph where like 10 sentences in a row started with "she." If I don't notice anything about the prose, that means it's pretty good to me. So I only noticed a couple of things in a 1,000 page book, which tells me his writing is at least decent, and better than a lot of famous authors. Tom Clancy, for instance, couldn't write himself out of 1st grade if his stories weren't so drat cool.