Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
From his blog a while back, about what we have to look forward to:

quote:

THE WAY OF KINGS is a massive war epic of legends, mythology, and magical revolution. It's intricate, complex, and was a bit daunting for me when I thought about readying it for publication. Just to give you an idea, MISTBORN has three magic systems, KINGS has well over twenty. MISTBORN has six main viewpoint characters across the trilogy; KINGS has dozens. I wrote about 30k of background material for MISTBORN. Background material for KINGS is over 300k.

quote:

There are thirty magic systems in this world, depending on how you count them, and around six thousand years of history I've mapped out. There are dozens of cultures, a continent of enormous scope, and a deep, rich mythology. However, when I say things like that, you have to realize that very little of it will end up in the first book. The best fantasy epics I've read begin with a personal look at the characters in the early books, then have a steady expansion into epic scope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

NinjaDebugger posted:

That's the impression I got.

Also, I hope it's not just me. I smell a loving massive No, Kaladin, you ARE the Voidbringers coming.

Have you finished the book?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Dramatika posted:

I sometimes read the bad thread even though I only read the first third of A Game of Thrones. It's pretty awesome.

I think I'm going to give ASOIAF another shot after I finish with Shadows of the Apt.

It's between that and either reading Mieville - The Scar, or getting started on Scott Lynch. I have too many unread books on my shelf.

If you haven't read any Mieville before, go for The Scar. The writing can be a little heavy, but the sheer unbridled creativity in it is worth it.

(He's also one of the few fantasy authors who'll write something other than a straight white male as the lead. Iron Council particularly is a breath of fresh air in that department)

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 24, 2011

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

I think Stormlight Archives is being positioned to be what people pick up when WoT finishes, and I'm pretty glad of it because it feels like it's what WoT would've been if Jordan had had a solid plan from the start.

That aside, I've got a huge soft spot for Sanderson because he's well aware of the flaws in his writing and makes pains to correct them. The result is that his prose gets better with every book, and putting Elantris and WoK side-by-side, it's like night and day.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 15, 2011

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Kelsier/Moraine Fight posted:

Doesn’t count. You became a disembodied voice that may or may not have actually been speaking into the mind of a young boy who was probably insane.”

“Yes,” Kelsier said, “but my series has a long way to go yet. Who knows what could happen? I’ve heard that some very remarkable things can happen with spikes . . .”

Well. There's a thing.

The Final Empire posted:

The Lord Ruler ripped one of the spears from his own body, then slammed it down through Kelsier’s chest.

And the Church of the Survivor was definitely mentioned in the Alloy of Law.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

veekie posted:

A spear would be Steel or Iron right? Would only carry one allomantic power then, and given that its Kelsier it's probably Steel or Iron burning ability.

Googling hemalurgy (because I'm a nerd like this), iron steals strength and steel steals the physical allomantic powers. Same lil' wiki says feruchemists store identity in aluminium though, but god knows how you could twist that into a resurrection plot.

Alternatively Sanderson's just leading us on.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 3, 2012

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

arioch posted:

Alternatively, what if it went the other way? What could the spear have taken from the Lord Ruler and given to Kelsier before his death?

Well he has to have died, or the Kandra couldn't have copied him. If it is something like that though, a steel chest spike to imbue pewter would make sense - the Inquisitors die when their chest spike is removed, and pewter dragging kills if it ever runs down.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

IRQ posted:

Cut him some slack, the guy is a mormon, and on top of that possibly a robot. And he has been getting better.

You can enjoy - even admire - an author while still having criticisms of them. Sanderson is drat good, but he still has a way to go in several ways, dialogue being one of them.

Fortunately the man's writing is improving in a way I haven't seen in a fantasy author since Pratchett, and that promises great things.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Contra Calculus posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of Rothfuss' writing is the only thing and the OP claims that it's comparable to that.

There's no thinly-disguised self-inserts or goony treatment of women in TWoK if that's what you're worried about.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

What's the publisher turnaround on his books? If he's finished in April (which in Sanderson-speak is probably Feb or March), will we be seeing a summer or autumn release?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Clinton1011 posted:

The Peter Grant series by Ben Aaronovitch is a good alternative if you want something like Dresden that is more serious.

Yeah, Rivers of London and its sequels is the best urban fantasy series to date. Mostly because it's actually well written, gasp. And while they're certainly more serious that the Dresden Files, they've still got a fair bit of comedy in them.

Once you've knocked through those, pick up Harry Connolly's Child of Fire trilogy. That they're excellent didn't stop it being unfortunately cut short by dire sales :(

e: On Twitter, Sanderson's just said he's finished 30%/90,000 words of the Stormlight 2 rough draft. Gonna be another thousand-page doorstop like the first :psyduck:

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 12, 2012

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

-Fish- posted:

My life is incomplete without reading White Sands.

Even better: the capstone Cosmere series will be called Dragonsteel. Sanderson's master's thesis was called Dragonsteel, and is archived in the library at Brigham Young University.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

veekie posted:

Some interesting stuff on the spren perspective there. The sole Honorspren to break the rules makes Szeth even more curious though. It does explain why Syl is so flighty, any Honorspren who disobeys the rules has to be odd at best.

Szeth was curiosity before that because he's from Shinovar, which has no spren at all. So the surgebindings might not be fundamentally due to spren, they're just the easiest way to access them.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

ShadowGlass posted:

In the prologue there are two guys who talk about "that creature" (assumed Szeth) who "carries my lord's own blade". This could mean that Szeth's blade is not a shardblade, but actually Jezrien's honorblade. (Jezrien was a king, so if the two talking guys were also heralds, it'd fit). Since Jezrien is the herald associated with the Windrunners, it could explain why Szeth has the same abilities as Kaladin. Probably the blade gives him the same abilities as a spren would.

Can't be - he drops his shardblade in the same prologue, and it disappears. Contrast to Talenel or whatever his name is, who keels over unconscious and his honorblade stays behind.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

I got my Kindle only recently and Words of Radiance is the first book I've bought for it. Jesus, I didn't realise how much cheaper the Kindle versions are on release day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

treeboy posted:

usually after release day discounts they're not a *ton* cheaper, maybe $4-5 depending. Amazon is selling WoR for $17.50 hard cover, and like $12.75 kindle. B&N likewise is about $18.25 online and $12.75 for nook. The biggest portion of book cost in bookselling is not production overhead (which is dirt cheap) but licensing, marketing, and contractual obligations to authors.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Hell, if you want a real discount Brandon linked a store selling a DRM-free version for 12 dollars.

In the UK it's $27 for the hardback version and $12 for the Kindle.