Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Everyone I have talked to has mentioned the poor framerate and choppiness in a bunch of zones. My PC is pretty good and it still happens.

A few people also mentioned seeing it on streams. Maybe you just don't notice it?

Yeah I probably am just not noticing it then, so its a me problem (or is that a good thing?), I bet its there and I just need to stop zoning out. Especially if everyone else is seeing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Basically you get a few different types of characters.

A (relatively) small amount of plot-bearing. They'll show up frequently and interact with the plot or at least be a more genuine presence in the story in some fashion.
A tier down are party members who don't directly contribute to the plot but have some sort of sidequest associated with them, like the chef dude. There aren't a ton of those.
A tier below that are standard party members who will show up in cutscenes but only speak in certain ones. They do not have a single shared line of dialogue but will say things at an appropriate time. (i.e: the magical girl character will make sure to chime in if you're doing something for JUSTICE.)
A tier below that are 'castle-only' characters who basically have little dialogue after they join.

Ah gotcha, that makes a lot of sense :hmmyes:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Flipping this desk over if there's no bathhouse recruit who requires me to get "toasty"

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

GateOfD posted:

drat is steam deck pricey. How’s the hardware

It's great! You won't be playing modern AAA releases at max settings, but you can usually tune them down a bit for a nice experience. It's also absolutely wonderful for older games and indie games.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ImpAtom posted:

Hmm, possible, but hear me out.

What if we find those people but then we do an AI script and then hire those people to fix the AI script for roughly 50% of what we'd normally pay them because it's just editing instead of translation.

Editors get paid 1/3 as much as translators, actually.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Why is there a graveyard in a card game? Do the cards die? :ohdear:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I can understand criticisms like the English va direction being bland but there's a whole lotta of extrapolation about Eiyudens translation being bad on steam reviews for a game that just came out. This isn't like suiko1 bad where you can tell stuff just doesn't fit what's happening on screen.

Also gd saga emerald comes out tmr

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Paying2Lurk posted:

they absolutely do. and you have to live with it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Paying2Lurk posted:

No no, its a farm upstate where they can hang out with other cards all day.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Paying2Lurk posted:

you should have saved them. you COULD have saved them

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Honest Thief posted:

I can understand criticisms like the English va direction being bland

Wait, in what way

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

I said come in! posted:

Yeah I probably am just not noticing it then, so its a me problem (or is that a good thing?), I bet its there and I just need to stop zoning out. Especially if everyone else is seeing it.

i have pretty high tolerance for fps stuff, but it is very noticeable when you get to the first town with random NPCs after the prologue

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

FireWorksWell posted:

Wait, in what way

Some complain that the reads are boring, but from what I played most are good, at worst just a regular anime dub, like Lian sounds very familiar but can't place it. But saying that the english script is bad because it doesn't capture the jpn seiyuu tone is raising my eyebrow.

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 24, 2024

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I have no idea what these people expect if these reads come off as boring/bland, or maybe I'm just too lax? It all sounds great to me so far.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

With over 100 characters, it’s probably a mixed bag, from regular professional anime/game voice actors to the random YouTubers that find their way in for 10 lines

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The game does make my gpu blow hard tho for some reason

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Barudak posted:

No no, its a farm upstate where they can hang out with other cards all day.

Basically the modern yugioh graveyard IS a farm upstate where they can hang out with other cards all day (And wait to have their graveyard effects activated or recycled)

A yugioh card is only truly dead when its banished faced down, and even then there are a few cards that can interact with them. They have to have the very specific words that say you can do something with a banished card, without specifying any details the card has to have.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
tbh I think a lot of card games basically treat the GY as a resource these days

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
It's free real estate

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think pokemon has much graveyard play?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Cards and deck archtypes that use the graveyard are usually undead and necromancy themed, though I think this is not a strict as it used to be.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

Endorph posted:

not direct graveyard play but effects that put cards from the graveyard back into the hand have been pretty perennial

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

mycot posted:

Cards and deck archtypes that use the graveyard are usually undead and necromancy themed, though I think this is not a strict as it used to be.

MTG also uses it for Phoenix’s which is cool. Blue will also use recovering spells from the graveyard as a metaphor for being able to remember something.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Really liking Eiyuden. Graphics aren't the best (Please AA and AF) but it's Suikoden 2 and I can't stop playing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

Pokemon's got a lot of shufflers and add back to hand stuff from the discard pile on top of like a dozen cards that just say "Draw 5, I don't know gently caress it".

It's pretty cool.

mycot posted:

YGO said gently caress it and game most things some floating or GY effects and then made those more thematic in other ways. Like the extremely sleepy girl who's dreams make dessert monsters that protect her as her dream tower descends and then she wakes up and banishes poo poo off your opponents board and goes
back to bed

https://yugipedia.com/wiki/Dreaming_Nemleria

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 24, 2024

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Playing pokemon at launch and playing it now was whiplash because the structured decks are insane draw machines now and they got like a dozen different ways to just barf more cards into your hand which, to be clear, fukken rules.

Yugioh conversely I have to squint at the tiny font because whatever galaxy brain deck concept the designers can come up with is legal.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

Barudak posted:

Playing pokemon at launch and playing it now was whiplash because the structured decks are insane draw machines now and they got like a dozen different ways to just barf more cards into your hand which, to be clear, fukken rules.

Yugioh conversely I have to squint at the tiny font because whatever galaxy brain deck concept the designers can come up with is legal.

theyre literally the same game. "lol tiny text" isnt gonna save you brother

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

sigh let me just get it out of the way now

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
like in the classic big 3 of tcgs (mtg, pokemon, ygo) mtg is the odd one out because its the slowest and the most western. pokemon and yugioh are actually pretty dang similar in terms of game speed and whats going on. and mtg doesnt have those which is why it sucks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

sigh let me just get it out of the way now

*crying* people always meme about pendulums but they basically stopped making them and they havent been relevant in a decade

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

*crying* people always meme about pendulums but they basically stopped making them and they havent been relevant in a decade

I like them! Or, I like Lunalights anyway

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

A Bystander posted:

I don't really worry about buying anything because I can just kill the enemies and take their poo poo instead and then sell whatever is worthless to me.

The water purifier setup lets you buy out every vendor in the game's entire inventory on a constant basis, which is primarily useful if you want to do stuff like wear power armor indefinitely forever or use weapons that have expensive ammo types like energy weapons or missiles. It's not really necessary for playing the game normally, it's just funny that it's so trivially easy to break the economy forever by spamming a single structure in any given settlement with a big water source(such as the river in the very first one).

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
mtg is not even a less wordy tcg, they just dont actually put the words on the card (which is bad!) but the words still exist and matter a lot. i mentioned mutate before, but it really is egregious (so much so that its likely not going to come back because of problems it caused).

like the 2 sentence blurb for mutate seems innocuous enough. heres a non exhaustive list of mutate rulings and rules text that they put out, which yugioh mostly doesnt because those cards use words to obviate the need for rulings:

quote:

Mutate
A keyword that lets a creature card be cast as a mutating creature spell. See rule 702.140, “Mutate.”

From the Comprehensive Rules (April 12, 2024—Outlaws of Thunder Junction)

702.140. Mutate
702.140a Mutate appears on some creature cards. It represents a static ability that functions while the spell with mutate is on the stack. “Mutate [cost]” means “You may pay [cost] rather than pay this spell’s mana cost. If you do, it becomes a mutating creature spell and targets a non-Human creature with the same owner as this spell.” Casting a spell using its mutate ability follows the rules for paying alternative costs (see 601.2b and 601.2f–h).
702.140b As a mutating creature spell begins resolving, if its target is illegal, it ceases to be a mutating creature spell and continues resolving as a creature spell and will be put onto the battlefield under the control of the spell’s controller.
702.140c As a mutating creature spell resolves, if its target is legal, it doesn’t enter the battlefield. Rather, it merges with the target creature and becomes one object represented by more than one card or token (see rule 727, “Merging with Permanents”). The spell’s controller chooses whether the spell is put on top of the creature or on the bottom. The resulting permanent is a mutated permanent.
702.140d An ability that triggers whenever a creature mutates triggers when a spell merges with a creature as a result of a resolving mutating creature spell.
702.140e A mutated permanent has all abilities of each card and token that represents it. Its other characteristics are derived from the topmost card or token.
702.140f Any effect that refers to or modifies the mutating creature spell refers to or modifies the mutated permanent it merges with as it resolves.

From the glossary of the Comprehensive Rules (April 12, 2024—Outlaws of Thunder Junction)

Mutating Creature Spell
A creature spell cast using the mutate keyword ability. As it resolves, if its target creature is legal, it merges with the target creature. The resulting creature has all characteristics of the topmost component and has the abilities of each component. See rule 702.140, “Mutate,” and rule 727, “Merging with Permanents.”

Rulings
Casting and resolving creature spells with mutate

Mutate represents an alternative cost. To determine the total cost of a spell, start with the mana cost or alternative cost you're paying (such as the alternative cost of mutate), add any cost increases, then apply any cost reductions. The converted mana cost of the spell remains unchanged, no matter what the total cost to cast it was and no matter whether an alternative cost was paid.[7]
A spell cast with mutate becomes a mutating creature spell. It requires a target creature with the same owner as the mutating creature spell. In the rare case that the player casting the mutating creature spell is not its owner, that player must choose a target creature the spell's owner also owns.
A mutating creature spell is a creature spell, even if it won't enter the battlefield as a creature.
As a mutating creature spell begins to resolve, check whether its target is still legal. If it's not, the spell ceases to be a mutating creature spell. It continues to resolve as a normal creature spell and enters the battlefield.
A mutating creature spell that resolves doesn't enter the battlefield. It simply merges with the target creature. As this happens, the controller of the mutating creature spell chooses whether to put it on top of the target creature or on the bottom. Abilities that trigger whenever a creature enters the battlefield don't trigger.
If the target creature is already a merged creature, the mutating creature spell can be put only on top or bottom. It can't be put in the middle.

Merged permanents

The resulting merged creature has all of the characteristics of the topmost card or token, and it also has all abilities from its other cards and tokens.
The merged creature is the same creature it was before the merge, so any Auras or counters that were on it remain on it, it remains tapped if it was tapped, it's still attacking if it was attacking, and so on. If it's been under its controller's control since their most recent turn began, it can attack and {T}.
The characteristics of the combined merged creature are copiable.
The merged creature is a token if its topmost object is a token. If its topmost object is a card, it's a non-token creature, even if it contains a token.
If the merged creature has any abilities referring to it by name, such as that of Phase Dolphin, it means "this creature," even if mutating causes it to have a new name.
If a creature that's a copy of another creature mutates, the characteristics it gains from mutating apply after applying the copy effect.

"Whenever the creature mutates" triggered abilities

An ability that triggers "whenever this creature mutates" triggers when a mutating creature spell becomes part of the merged permanent. It doesn't trigger if a mutating creature spell becomes a normal creature spell and enters the battlefield.
An ability that triggers "whenever this creature mutates" triggers whether the ability came from the mutating creature spell or from the creature that the mutating creature spell merged with.
If a creature has multiple "whenever this creature mutates" abilities, its controller chooses the order for those abilities to resolve.
If an ability triggers when a creature mutates and counts how many times that creature has mutated, it includes the time that caused the ability to trigger.

Leaving the battlefield

A merged creature can't be split apart until it leaves the battlefield. For example, you can't sacrifice one creature card out of a merged creature if you're instructed to sacrifice a creature; you must sacrifice the entire creature.
If a merged creature leaves the battlefield, one object leaves the battlefield and each card is put into the appropriate zone. For example, if a merged creature containing three cards dies, one creature died and three cards were put into a player's graveyard.
If a merged creature is put into a library, its owner chooses the relative order of those cards. For example, if a merged creature containing three cards is put into its owner's library third from the top, those three cards are put third, fourth, and fifth from the top in the order of their owner's choice. This order isn't revealed to other players.
If an effect exiles a merged creature then returns it to the battlefield, the individual cards each return. They're no longer merged. If that effect has an additional effect on the returned object, it affects each of these permanents.
If multiple replacement effects could be applied to the merged creature leaving the battlefield or being put into its new zone, applying one of those effects affects all of the moving objects.
In the Commander variant, if a commander is part of a merged creature, the resulting creature is a commander. If it leaves the battlefield and the commander is moved to the command zone instead, that permanent and the other cards contained by that permanent go to the appropriate zone while the commander card goes to the command zone.

Unusual situations

If a merged permanent has characteristic-defining abilities, they overwrite the characteristics from the topmost object. For example, if a merged creature has an ability that defines a * in its power or toughness, such as that of Boneyard Mycodrax, that ability overwrites the power and toughness defined by the topmost object of the merged creature.
If a mutating creature spell merges with a creature that's only temporarily a creature, it will remain a merged permanent when the effect making it a creature expires. It still has all of the characteristics of the topmost object, which may cause it to be a creature or to not be a creature, and it has all of the abilities of its other cards.
Any ability which would cause a card to not be a creature (example: Heliod, God of the Sun) can cause a merged permanent to be a permanent with no card types.
The merged creature is face up if its topmost object is face up. If its topmost object is face down, it's a face-down creature, even if it contains face-up cards.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

so mutate is just XYZ summon but worse?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

Or the ones they do add support to hard lock into their archetype so you don't see the weird pile of random pend poo poo (Like Abyss Actors) or they're extremely weird unique gimmicks like Nemleria or Valyants (Which is just FE. Like you use the pendulum zones as deployment squares and move them from space to space and knock your opponents monsters into the back row.) They're pretty easy to figure out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

theyre literally the same game. "lol tiny text" isnt gonna save you brother

I think you misunderstand, I think it rules because Yugioh is absolutely jam packed full of different insane archetypes and I happen to like one of the absolute most trash ones and I like that that exists for idiots like me.

I do wish there were some keywords to unify how actions work in Yugioh, but not having them is also a part of the charm.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

kirbysuperstar posted:

so mutate is just XYZ summon but worse?

its more like if xyz also gave you the rules texts of cards underneath, since mutate does that. the difference being xyz has exactly one unintuitive rule interaction (cards becoming materials dont "leave the field") and mutate has, well,

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

Some complain that the reads are boring, but from what I played most are good, at worst just a regular anime dub, like Lian sounds very familiar but can't place it. But saying that the english script is bad because it doesn't capture the jpn seiyuu tone is raising my eyebrow.

I had to go searching because a few of the starting party's voices were super familiar-- and it's because of Honkai Star Rail, for me. Garr, Lian, and Mio all share a VA with characters from it.

Lian's VA also voices Sushang and this leads me to believe she just voices absolute dumbasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

its more like if xyz also gave you the rules texts of cards underneath, since mutate does that. the difference being xyz has exactly one unintuitive rule interaction (cards becoming materials dont "leave the field") and mutate has, well,

ahhh I see

Sounds bad lol