Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

okay im going to do this

we will use this line from the game fire emblem blazing sword

this was translated in the official tl as

As you can see, basically all of them make it more 'poetic', besides the very literal translation. In addition, they all completely gently caress up at the [Aegir] bit. [Aegir] is the japanese name for the magical energy in fire emblem blazing sword that Nergal, the villain speaking this line, steals by killing people. None of them can create that context so they dont know how to handle it.

Now, let's try improving. Of these three, I think the first TL is the best, the most 'literal one.' However, I think the last line is a bit of a fuckup. Let's try and get it to fix that.

Hm, that still isn't quite right.

Okay, let's try explaining this to it very slowly.

wow it still doesnt understand it

Genuinely, thank you for doing the legwork Endorph.

The people who know the least of the actual mechanics of how AI models function behind the curtain are the most overly optimistic about their abilities. So it can be hard to explain exactly why people are incorrect about something without using words they genuinely don't understand because the idea of a "token" in the context of AI is completely foreign to them, only the consumer-facing inputs and outputs.

E: Everyone else, too. I realize it can feel like people are piling on about the topic but at some point people need to actually learn about AI's actual capabilities and what they're good, and not good, at operating with. People have to learn to look past the buzzwords.

Runa fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also regarding card games I am a believer in more draw = better than and still play Duelyst just because it has a 2 card draw in addition to being an srpg Im very bad at.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Rush Duel does have keywords but it's very much it's own beast

And also the only way to play it in English is the switch game and within Duel Links

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Lian is a dime store Nanami so far but she's still pretty cool.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How's the actual plot in Eiyuden? I care more about execution than it being anything deep or complex, so cliche stuff is fine as long as it's done in a way that is still enjoyable.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Rush Duel does have keywords but it's very much it's own beast

And also the only way to play it in English is the switch game and within Duel Links

Rush Duel is just another vector for me to build over elaborate combos that crumble 19 times out of 20 that I keep playing because the concept amuses me and winning is for protagonists.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Barreft posted:

Lian is a dime store Nanami so far but she's still pretty cool.

I'm going to need her to stop saying "widdle" before I have a conniption but I do love a dumbass punchomancer.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

Ytlaya posted:

How's the actual plot in Eiyuden? I care more about execution than it being anything deep or complex, so cliche stuff is fine as long as it's done in a way that is still enjoyable.

Eiyuden: 100 cliches

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm playing Eiyuden and I don't think I like the character writing or the voice acting lol

I don't think it's woke translating or whatever, I think it's just a little not good

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Just got to the point where you can begin recruiting party members in Eiyuden and instantly ran up to every dog and cat I could find in town

I better be able to recruit one of these adorable fucks

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Is there a JPN voice track?
I guess switch trying to trick people into getting it, already on sale 10% off so about $44

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Suikoden 2 had the flying squirrels, Suiko 3 had Glorantha ducks

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Bussamove posted:

I'm going to need her to stop saying "widdle" before I have a conniption but I do love a dumbass punchomancer.

Lol true

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

GateOfD posted:

Is there a JPN voice track?
I guess switch trying to trick people into getting it, already on sale 10% off so about $44

Yeah there is. At least on PC. Playing on Deck

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

you can switch to the Japanese voice track and avoid the English VA, but then you don't know what all the voice barks in battle mean because there's no subtitles for those

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Ikoria was a hosed up set. The headline mechanic, Companion, ended up warping every format it touched, including Vintage, the most powerful format that includes every Magic card ever printed.

It was so broken they had to emergency change the very rules of how it worked. Something I don’t think they’ve ever done before for balance purposes.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
they actually used to do power level errata a very long time ago but stopped because it was at the end of the day a bad reason to make cards not match their printed text since they can just ban cards instead. they had to power level errata for the first time in actual decades because you cant ban cards from vintage

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

But individual cards, not entire keywords, I think.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
not keywords, but thats only because the free mechanic from urza's legacy wasnt keyworded. but that was an entire mechanic that got a power level errata.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Huh, didn’t know about that one, and apparently they eventually reverted the changes.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
yes, every previous power level errata was undone, because they can just ban cards instead if theyre a problem. except companion, because it was a problem in even vintage

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It gets around the one tool vintage has for attempting to keep cards in check lol

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'm playing Eiyuden and I don't think I like the character writing or the voice acting lol

I don't think it's woke translating or whatever, I think it's just a little not good

I turned off the voices personally. I don't think they're necessarily bad, I just really don't need voice acting in a game like this

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I’ve always loved playing CCG single player video games and am sad that they’re pretty rare. Fond memories of the game boy Pokémon trading card game.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Need more card deck battle systems like Baten Kaitos

deets
Apr 20, 2015

grieving for Gandalf posted:

The Japanese steam reviews are also complaining that the story and writing is just kind of painfully mid, if that means anything

Runa posted:

Genuinely, thank you for doing the legwork Endorph.

The people who know the least of the actual mechanics of how AI models function behind the curtain are the most overly optimistic about their abilities. So it can be hard to explain exactly why people are incorrect about something without using words they genuinely don't understand because the idea of a "token" in the context of AI is completely foreign to them, only the consumer-facing inputs and outputs.
The big translation agencies aren't feeding text into chatgpt, they already have their own custom tools with their own datasets, and for some types of less creative fields of translation it's already been incredibly damaging. You can look online and find people with multi-decade careers in legal/patent/medical translation being told to accept much worse rates, if they're not losing clients entirely. This is also the case in gamesーif you work in creative translation you're already used to clients asking you to accept MTPE (machine translation post editing -- the same work as a translator for much less money) and the fact that we had someone earlier in the thread saying "G Generation Cross Rays seems like it was machine translated" when myself and other members of the SRW X translation team handled it suggests to me that, you know, maybe people can't tell the difference anyway

deets fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 24, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nrook posted:

I’ve always loved playing CCG single player video games and am sad that they’re pretty rare. Fond memories of the game boy Pokémon trading card game.
have you played the shadowverse switch game? its pretty good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

deets posted:

The Japanese steam reviews are also complaining that the story and writing is just kind of painfully mid, if that means anything

i think the story is okay and there's some p. good character writing here and there. its not amazing but its at the same level as like suikoden 5 i think

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Not every game can have the writing of SaGa Emerald Beyond :(

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

is there a pc version of shadowverse that's not f2p/microtransaction driven?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Endorph posted:

i think the story is okay and there's some p. good character writing here and there. its not amazing but its at the same level as like suikoden 5 i think

Speaking of good character writing, I just met Francesca. More healers should aspire to be like her.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Francesca whips rear end and it's hilarious to me that she has such ridiculous strength growth that she's rapidly catching up with Garr in terms of asskicking potential.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Oh hell yeah.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

nrook posted:

We need to go back to the days of yearly Yugioh games

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Rinkles posted:

is there a pc version of shadowverse that's not f2p/microtransaction driven?

not unless you count emulating champion's road

sv itself is getting a big update Sometime that adds more singleplayer stuff

also reminder to NOT play the cardfight vanguard single player game that is dogshit and painfully badly translated while blasting midis that would sound bad by even rpg maker 95 rtp standards while also being like $100 aud. it's bad.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

We need to go back to the days of yearly Yugioh games

i like the 5ds one that has you start in some ramshackle town with your hispanic bestie, except for the part where the DS' cpus struggle so hard the com player stops to think for 30 seconds for each card it plays

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That one ruled

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I think the only thing I don't like about Eiyuden is that it kept up with the Suikoden thing of just making large units kinda bad for some godforsaken reason? But then also pumped the difficulty so going into boss fights essentially down a party member is way more punishing than it is in Suikoden.

Yumi and Friend are cute as hell but are basically in line with a normal character stat-wise despite eating two slots. They're not even particularly durable which was the one thing L sized units in the old games tended to have!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That one ruled

We need more Create-A-Character games for the YGO stories IMO. Let me be the lost forgotten Lancer in Arc-V that somehow beats Z-ARC without any of the magic bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Endorph posted:

have you played the shadowverse switch game? its pretty good

not yet, it’s on my radar since I remember you recommending it months ago