Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
quick update

tales of abyss owns wtf

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
it sure does

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fonowns

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
"guy is afraid of girls" seemed like an annoying trope but the way he just vanished in that cutscene made it funny actually

also guy loving owns?? "Lost my whole family to a tragedy. It happens; this is an RPG."

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Tales of the Abyss is indeed good.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

deets posted:

The big translation agencies aren't feeding text into chatgpt, they already have their own custom tools with their own datasets, and for some types of less creative fields of translation it's already been incredibly damaging. You can look online and find people with multi-decade careers in legal/patent/medical translation being told to accept much worse rates, if they're not losing clients entirely. This is also the case in gamesーif you work in creative translation you're already used to clients asking you to accept MTPE (machine translation post editing -- the same work as a translator for much less money) and the fact that we had someone earlier in the thread saying "G Generation Cross Rays seems like it was machine translated" when myself and other members of the SRW X translation team handled it suggests to me that, you know, maybe people can't tell the difference anyway

Well drat, that's depressing.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

deets posted:

The Japanese steam reviews are also complaining that the story and writing is just kind of painfully mid, if that means anything

The big translation agencies aren't feeding text into chatgpt, they already have their own custom tools with their own datasets, and for some types of less creative fields of translation it's already been incredibly damaging. You can look online and find people with multi-decade careers in legal/patent/medical translation being told to accept much worse rates, if they're not losing clients entirely. This is also the case in gamesーif you work in creative translation you're already used to clients asking you to accept MTPE (machine translation post editing -- the same work as a translator for much less money) and the fact that we had someone earlier in the thread saying "G Generation Cross Rays seems like it was machine translated" when myself and other members of the SRW X translation team handled it suggests to me that, you know, maybe people can't tell the difference anyway

This is real and depressing lol. My arch-enemy in game industry is Sperasoft Keywords because they literally make a worse job machine-translating games into a bunch of languages, sometimes without even going through linguistic QA, which just feels so loving disrespectful, and then you message your indie dev that contracted them and like, what are you even gonna say? Hey man, sorry your entire translation is poo poo?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

early thoughts on eiyuden after 2 hours:

visuals - great
music - good
characters - fine
storytelling - ok
UI - mostly good

the basic gameplay's a 7.5 out of 10 so far but it's just because they have you just doing basic attacks in the early going

battle theme and boss themes are good so far, already there's been two boss themes, i like the second one more (against the primal lens guardian)

i'm not so concerned with whether a jrpg's story or characters are super original (i think ppl get too obsessed over counting up 'tropes', not here of course) but whether they're annoying or not. so far, not annoying, BUT there's little micro-pauses between dialog and the occasional golden sun-y 'pause for a sweatdrop-type expression' that are a little annoying. it's not the snappiest going in and out of battle either. but none of that is dealbreakers or anything, that's all pretty small poo poo. i haven't encountered any bugs so far either

i stopped right at starting to get recruits so the next session's gonna really sell me on the game in the full i think. adding to the party, the town development, the additional rune stuff. that's gonna really tell me whether this is closer to a 7/10 or an 8/10

e: oh yea also the dungeons have been pretty plain so far, reminding me of octopath 1, and the world map's felt kind of barren. but it's just the beginning of the game

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 24, 2024

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Rinkles posted:

is there a pc version of shadowverse that's not f2p/microtransaction driven?

The single player game is Switch only but if you're fine with PvP, Shadowverse just threw up a new mode with some special gimmicks that's entirely pre constructed. It's basically planeswalkers + preconstructed decks. Not sure how long it's going for but it's up for next week at least.

Also yes, the DS era WC games were really good even if they're too slow. They even had racing duels. The Tag Force games on PSP are generally good as well but I'm not fond of the tag duels.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In a game with over sixty playable characters, do you have to contend with limited inventory space for equipment and consumables?

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Barudak posted:

Playing pokemon at launch and playing it now was whiplash because the structured decks are insane draw machines now and they got like a dozen different ways to just barf more cards into your hand which, to be clear, fukken rules.

Reminds me of this video about the meta for the first year of the Pokemon TCG and it seems like a beautiful dream these days just because there wasn't really much netdecking and pre-American Idol famous William Hung was recognised as one of the best Pokemon TCG players in the world.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I got to Chapter 5 of Reverse Collapse and I got a "several cutscenes will play in sequence" warning, FFXIV style. I was not disappointed.

This game really has its hooks in me, even more than before.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Eiyuden is charming, but the UX feels a bit off at times, button commands don't feel like they should, take party build for instance, I have to pick the slot I want before I select a character, and when I click on a empty slot it doesn't move the cursor automatically to the character selection panel

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My biggest issue with the menus is how long it takes to switch windows, just slightly more of pause than feels acceptable.

Bonus points for letting me equip stuff from the item menu though.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

My biggest issue with the menus is how long it takes to switch windows, just slightly more of pause than feels acceptable.

The tabs above also don't seem to move, like they just wiggle and the text instantly changes?? and I get confused thinking the panels didnt move
it's a lot of small touches that feel off, but overall I'm enjoying it, but a lot is because it's leveraging suiko2 vibes, although Lian is no Nami

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Redezga posted:

Reminds me of this video about the meta for the first year of the Pokemon TCG and it seems like a beautiful dream these days just because there wasn't really much netdecking and pre-American Idol famous William Hung was recognised as one of the best Pokemon TCG players in the world.

I think its also hilarious just how absolutely naff a lot of basic pokemon in the first set were. So much flipping and doing nothing

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Eiyuden Chronicle: How do you actually recruit the Beigoma guys (the doc and the protag looking dude)? B'baba's shop tells me to "keep spinning". I looked it up in a spoiler free way and and it just said "continue the Beigoma scenario". What scenario? Every town I go to has randos I can play. The ones I can beat give me herbs. Everyone else is playing at an elite level and I have no prayer. For reference I have a level 3 Headquarters and I just recruited Seign, officially, after doing his little solo scenario.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
The combat is REALLY boring in Eiyuden, why is there no skip animation option or speed-up toggle?

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
I've been playing a bit of Dungeon Encounters recently, got in the 30 floor range and discouraged after my latest party wipe to a black hole. I should have split my party up to satisfy my curiosity but there you go.

I was reading a guide after the wipe happened and it said that overall there really isn't all that much to DE and that I should try Quester instead.

Quester just went on a deep discount and I am curious. Does anyone have thoughts on this dungeon crawler RPG?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Radia posted:

"guy is afraid of girls" seemed like an annoying trope but the way he just vanished in that cutscene made it funny actually

also guy loving owns?? "Lost my whole family to a tragedy. It happens; this is an RPG."

ENTER THE AMAZING GUY

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
everything about guy rules. his Bit is one that would be easy to just have as some dumb throwaway comedy but even that part of him is the game legitimately trying to work at something, so it doesn't overplay it for pure laughs

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Eiyuden and I disagree on what is standard camera x and y movements and what is reverse.

Also the game has lots of weird little annoying oversights like the range of hero combos is unlisted nor mentioned in the tutorial for it so I had to look up online why I couldn't activate the literal second one you acquire.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Do they actually describe the range mechanic anywhere? It's been forever since I played Suikoden so I am not sure I am remembering right.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not that I remember but I don't think there's anything more to it that S can only attack from front row, M from either and L only from back row?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
At least in Suikoden, range for individual characters is extremely simple. S means you must be in the front row and can only attack the enemy front row, M means you're good in either row and can only attack the front row, and L means you're good in either row and can attack any enemy regardless of row. I haven't started up Eiyuden yet but it looks the same.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There's some issue in that the one between Nowa and Lian needs them to be in separate rows, despite them both being M units, but is not stated anywhere.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Emerald Beyond was fun as poo poo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Eiyuden does tell you what unit ranges mean in the party formation tutorial.

It does not however have anyway to learn what the ranges of hero combos are and as noted its super confusing Nowa's and Lian's is S range when they are both M characters

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Emerald Beyond was fun as poo poo.

I wish the colors werent as washed out, but the demo was surprisingly good, I thought the cheap vibe to it would be indicative of the rest of the game but seems the opposite way

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Kanos posted:

At least in Suikoden, range for individual characters is extremely simple. S means you must be in the front row and can only attack the enemy front row, M means you're good in either row and can only attack the front row, and L means you're good in either row and can attack any enemy regardless of row. I haven't started up Eiyuden yet but it looks the same.

S can only hit enemy Front from Front, M can hit both enemy rows from Front but only Front enemies if they are in the back, L has full range anywhere

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Redezga posted:

funniest part of early pokemon meta is that nobody actually realized that haymaker gets owned by a lickitung/scyther/mr mime deck

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

Eiyuden does tell you what unit ranges mean in the party formation tutorial.

It does not however have anyway to learn what the ranges of hero combos are and as noted its super confusing Nowa's and Lian's is S range when they are both M characters

It also feels like the combination attacks aren't worth it in terms of damage, you seem to get more damage out of two people just using basic attack, which surely isn't intended.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

FireWorksWell posted:

Speaking of good character writing, I just met Francesca. More healers should aspire to be like her.

meeting Francesca is what inspired my post before lol

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Is there a good fix for the FPS/random encounter thing in Eiyuden that doesn't involve setting my TV refresh rate back and forth in Windows every time? I set the exe to cap at 60FPS in NVidia control panel but it seems to have just hosed everything up (choppy as hell on the overworld, opening cutscene running at half speed with hideously desynced audio).

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

I said come in! posted:

The dialog is not good my rear end!!!

Wanna bring that person some beans

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nephrite posted:

It also feels like the combination attacks aren't worth it in terms of damage, you seem to get more damage out of two people just using basic attack, which surely isn't intended.

The first one it tutorializes is a full enemy aoe, but yeah the Nowa+Lian one is strictly worse

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

meeting Francesca is what inspired my post before lol

Hahaha, I can definitely see her being divisive

fridge corn posted:

Wanna bring that person some beans

They've been waiting at least six months!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I actually beat this game a couple of summers ago and I really enjoyed it. Figured out the key strat was to just camp out of the enemy base and soak up XP with my bruisers. The soundtrack is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Wow, I can't believe Nowa permanently loses his accessory slot super early on in Eiyuden. That's rough. But I mean, I guess at least you get to run fast afterwards.

No, but seriously, gently caress the Dash Boots. Don't lock the ability to move fast behind a drat accessory when each character only has one single accessory slot! That's a dick move!