Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Branch Nvidian posted:

Libra Colour arrived yesterday. I’ve been putting it through its paces so far and it’s generally been pretty good. The color images are noticeably “fuzzier” than black & white due to the ppi difference, which is to be expected, and the screen is definitely darker compared to my Kindle when the device’s light is off, but once the light is adjusted to my comfort level I can’t tell a difference between the two.

I did run into an issue initially with moving my DRM-stripped Kindle books to the Libra, but that was due to Calibre not having full support for the Libra Colour’s database version yet; simply toggling a setting to attempt to work with the database version worked just fine and sorted everything into proper series/author groupings with appropriate orders. Additionally at one point I did something that caused the device to hardlock and I had to do a hard reset to start using it again. Only happened once though, and it may have been due to the amount of content I was dumping into it at the time.

The lit images are at 25% brightness with the “natural light” option off in these images. Additionally the last image showing text is the first page of volume 1 of the Apothecary Diaries, as to avoid spoilers for anyone reading the series, since I’m on chapter 7 of volume 10.

E: Realized it’d probably be helpful to show a direct side-by-side comparison, so this is with a Kindle Paperwhite with both screens in sleep mode and then both on the same page with Libra Colour at 25% brightness and Paperwhite at 13/24 brightness.

The color screen looks nice for the softer marker or watercolor style coloring manga and light novel illustrations favor.

I just got my Kobo Forma in yesterday and even though I'm obviously still in the honeymoon period, I'm pretty pleased with the purchase. The larger 8" screen really makes a difference for reading the smaller margin TN text. It's also a lot thinner and lighter than I expected, which is a real treat compared to having to read manga on a tablet. I could take or leave the page turn buttons and the only downside is the power button doesn't feel very responsive, but I knew going into it that was going to be the case. Definitely a niche use device, but I have a big backlog of stuff I want to read and I hate scrolling on a screen. Thanks for the advice, all.

e: quoting last post for new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Branch Nvidian posted:

Libra Colour arrived yesterday. I’ve been putting it through its paces so far and it’s generally been pretty good. The color images are noticeably “fuzzier” than black & white due to the ppi difference, which is to be expected, and the screen is definitely darker compared to my Kindle when the device’s light is off, but once the light is adjusted to my comfort level I can’t tell a difference between the two.

How noticeable is this pattern to the naked eye? That's the one thing that's worried me about the new color models since it's everywhere in the background.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

astral posted:

How noticeable is this pattern to the naked eye? That's the one thing that's worried me about the new color models since it's everywhere in the background.

I have to get really close, or otherwise specifically be looking for it, to notice it. Those pictures were taken with my phone in macro mode and generally I don't perceive the pattern. That said, someone on Reddit did comment about it bothering them, but all it seems to do to my eyes is better reflect the imperfections of actual printed paper. I know that's not what it's going for, but it's how I tend to process it. Holding it at what I consider a normal reading distance I can't see it at all on black & white content, and just barely maybe on color.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Appreciate the comparison shots, thank you.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
I ended up cancelling my Clara Colour order in favour of a local company in Australia offering 90 minute delivery via Uber and the BW version instead.

Zippy as in comparison to my old Kindle Paperwhite.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Blue Proton finally got the Colours on Amazon so I'm going to try a Libra for myself. Can't hurt to try I suppose.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Branch Nvidian posted:

Libra Colour arrived yesterday.

I have to believe that someone ten books into The Apothecary Diaries light novels has some baller LN recommendations to share. Got a Top 5 by any chance?
Thread related: ereaders are uniquely suited to such a breezy, affordably priced kind of book!

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Space Fish posted:

I have to believe that someone ten books into The Apothecary Diaries light novels has some baller LN recommendations to share. Got a Top 5 by any chance?
Thread related: ereaders are uniquely suited to such a breezy, affordably priced kind of book!

I think most of what I read are probably fairly well known or popular, but personally I’ve enjoyed Spice & Wolf (haven’t started Spring Log or Wolf & Parchment yet though), Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash, I just started My Happy Marriage and I’m liking it so far, I’ve heard Ascendance of a Bookworm is really good too but haven’t started it myself. Apothecary Diaries just plain rules though, and I can easily recommend it to pretty much anyone.

I’ve also read some of Konosuba and My Youth Romantic Comedy, but I feel like you need to already be into taking the piss out of isekai for Konosuba or enjoy romance dramedies for MYRC.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 3, 2024

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Thank you! I've been meaning to break Spice & Wolf out of TBR jail, and I second any endorsement of Ascendance of a Bookworm, only a few books in but enjoyed it.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
I got a kobo libra color in today and im going to return it. The screen contrast is way worse than my kindle voyage and it ghosts like crazy. The color looks nice but its absolutely not worth it to me. Its a shame because I really like the way it feels in hand but its just nowhere near as good to read on as an ereader that was about the same price in 2015

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Seriously don't understand the point of washed out unpleasant color at the expense of brightness and contrast. Maybe comics but every shot of a comic I've seen on it looks desaturated and weird. Why did you do this instead of making a Libra 3 with carta 1300 kobo

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Grundma posted:

I got a kobo libra color in today and im going to return it. The screen contrast is way worse than my kindle voyage and it ghosts like crazy. The color looks nice but its absolutely not worth it to me. Its a shame because I really like the way it feels in hand but its just nowhere near as good to read on as an ereader that was about the same price in 2015

The Voyage is particularly hard to beat, it was just a great ereader with basically no compromises like every Kindle that's been released after it. Sorry you don't like it, maybe the Clara B/W or the Libra 2 if you can find one would be better for you?

d0s posted:

Seriously don't understand the point of washed out unpleasant color at the expense of brightness and contrast. Maybe comics but every shot of a comic I've seen on it looks desaturated and weird. Why did you do this instead of making a Libra 3 with carta 1300 kobo

Releasing a new Clara B/W with the 1300 and not also offering a new Libra B/W was ridiculous. I do like my Libra Colour enough that I prefer reading on it over my Kindle Paperwhite 11th Gen. Like, yeah the screen has less contrast and it doesn't have an ambient light sensor, but I do like having the touch of color on things and changing the brightness depending on situation isn't a big deal to me.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
Has anyone here replaced a battery on a kindle voyage before? Ive read the ifixit guide and it looks straightforward but im curious how bad it is getting the part off that's got lots of adhesive.

I use my voyage when biking and camping a lot so I'm wary of ruining the waterproofing on it. That's also why the quality of the screen with the backlight off is important to me - I try to optimize battery life when I can.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Grundma posted:

Has anyone here replaced a battery on a kindle voyage before? Ive read the ifixit guide and it looks straightforward but im curious how bad it is getting the part off that's got lots of adhesive.

I use my voyage when biking and camping a lot so I'm wary of ruining the waterproofing on it. That's also why the quality of the screen with the backlight off is important to me - I try to optimize battery life when I can.

Looking at the guide it seems like it doesn't have any pull tabs so like the guide you'll have to use a card to pry it up. The key thing is to not bend (or puncture for that matter) the battery as you're prying it up. Take it easy and slow and using some IPA will help soften up the glue as you go.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

As 8-bit said, use isopropyl alcohol to loosen the battery adhesive. You shouldn’t need to worry about damaging the water resistancy since you’re not removing any adhesive around the edges of the device. It appears the water resistance is from gaskets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzyyj-SCQXc

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

Thanks folks. Probably gonna order a battery for it then. I was looking forward to being free of microusb but I can deal with it for a few more years

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
My Libra Color came in today too, and I've got some devices to compare it against: An Amazon Kindle Oasis (10th gen, ordered summer 2022) and a Kobo Aura One (purchased early 2017).

Here are the three devices side by side by side:

Left to right: Oasis, Libra, Aura.

Here they are with the book cover:

There are some artifacts in the pictures that my eyes don't really see. I also tried to match the settings as close as I could. The color balance in my phone isn't really doing the Aura any favors, and it's much better in person.

I think someone was wondering how it would handle PDFs. Honestly, from my initial testing it really depended on the PDF. Some "print-ready" docs (big color illustrations, but little to no added "page texture") were perfectly fine and speedy, but small and not great to read. A big iPad (or even an iPad mini and pinch-to-zoom) will normally be better for those kinds of docs. But I had an older one (The D&D 3.5 splat Dragons of Faerֹûn) with added page texture that ground the device to a halt. Of course, my full desktop ALSO struggled to render it, so I'm definitely blaming the document and not the hardware.

Anyway, here are some more pictures. From Minsc and Boo's Journal of Villainy "Print Ready" pdf:

Here's a shot from Dragons of Faerûn, gently caress Your Toner Edition vs a full computer display:

And a final shot from Old Gods of Appalachia Roleplaying Game:

First impressions?

The color is somewhere between "pleasantly subtle" and "uselessly washed out". Personally I like it in the few things I've seen so far, but I completely understand why other people will hate it.

The screen does feel like it's "deeper" and has more "texture", in that I can perceive more layers versus the black and white screens. I don't think it will bother me long term.

The buttons initially were opposite of what I expected (top back, bottom forward), but there's an easy setting to reverse them. Top forward makes more sense for how I most comfortably hold the device in my hand.

Some QR codes for binding it to my Kobo account and activating Overdrive/Libby made setup a complete breeze. Real happy with that part.

The default full screen refresh is "Every Chapter", which will depend on how the ePub is laid out that I'm not sure it's actually useful. You can set full screen refreshes for every 1 to 10 pages. I had to look very closely to see much ghosting with the default setting anyway. And full-screen refreshes are super fast on this device, so no complaints there at all.

The processor made a HUGE improvement on the PDFs I tried. The Aura One couldn't handle the Old Gods pdf, but the Libra Color had no problems scrubbing through the pages fairly quickly.

For the TTRPG books I use, the screen is too small to use comfortably at a session. I could read things, but they were too small for comfortable reading at the distance I would normally hold a device or have it laying on a table.

I'm not into manga, and I'd rather read comics on my iPad anyway.

All in all I like what I see so far, and the Libra Color may replace my Oasis as my daily reader. I'll do some longer reading the weekend to confirm I like the screen, but I don't expect I'll be sending this one back (barring complete failure & warranty replacement)

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That is impressive... Christmas might come early this year :sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Definitely not for me, but I can see its uses.