Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
There's a BL about repairmen/junk collectors called "Kitaru Harekake no Ashita yo" but there's only one chapter out so far. The same author has a story about a guy who makes convenience store bentos, which is sadly untranslated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you're looking for more diverse main character professions BL is where to find them.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
the Kuso Miso Technique guy looks pretty blue collar

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

Speaking of running the family business...
Kawaii Hito has a new chapter.

MC works at his family's flower shop, he's got a scary face but is actually a cinnamon roll. He starts dating a college student who has a huge crush on him to the absolute confusion of her friends and family.

I really wish this was getting more than two scanlated chapters per year. :(

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lemon-Lime posted:

I really wish this was getting more than two scanlated chapters per year. :(

:same:

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
well their relationship is progressing almost at the same pace so it's realistic

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

If you're looking for more diverse main character professions BL is where to find them.

One of the things I love about reading BL is that I often truly don't know whether a particular vocation or profession is entirely fabricated or something that actually exists in Japan - with regard to BL, which is inevitably like 80% of what I read.

On another note, I wanted to remind that the second tuesday comes early this month, hence we are getting new BL releases from Viz/SuBLime TODAY! Plus a BL release (which technically already happened) from a publisher (One Peace Books) that I believe is new to the whole shounen-ai/BL publication scene, so far as I can tell though they have published yuri manga of one sort or another before, though - 3 volumes of a series called Whispered Words and I'd be fairly curious if any fans of that genre know whether they did a good job or not.

I Hear the Sunspot is the name of their first BL release (it is also a BL movie that is being released or has been released in Japan this year) and I'll at least say that I am pleased with the content of the first volume - really wonderful, slow-paced. sensitive shounen-ai with characters who are actually 3-dimensional. The story is about a young guy in high school who is hard of hearing (but not entirely deaf, and still able to speak and function mostly OK) and a relationship that develops between him and a more outgoing type. I admit it does adhere to some typical genre tropes (the sensitive and effeminate introvert getting drawn out by the more outgoing and outspoken masculine guy) but it handles it all well enough and manages to tell a really engaging tale that sort of... perfectly captures that really awkward relationship that can develop which skirts the boundaries between friendship and love and sort of remains confusingly out-of-reach for both partners. I've actually yet to finish the manga, I've been reading it slowly and enjoying it.

Also coming out today is Ten Count: Volume 5, the long-awaited final volume (see my avatar for a pic of the uke). Pretty exciting, and I still have yet to read this volume in any form! Actually, I have yet to read Volume 4 or half of Volume 3 either, as I wanted to properly read it all. Now I'm REALLY looking forward to finally being able to read it all from start to finish. I almost liked what I was reading so much I knew more cliffhangers could be the death of me, so, yeah.

And finally coming as well today from SuBLime is Finder Deluxe Edition: On One Wing: Volume 3, basically the next step in SuBLime VERY quickly (they release a book ever other month) reprinting their own version of FINDER. I admit it does feel... Just a bit ridiculous buying all of them, given that I have the first three volumes as translated by both BeBeautiful (went bankrupt like a decade ago) and the first 7 volumes from June (lost the Libre license). Now I've finally got Volume 8 (as translated by SuBLime) but I feel somehow obligated to continue to support the industry and buy volumes 1-7 ~again~.... Oh well, Yamane-san is really good at drawing sexy guys with long hair so its okay :keke:

edit: I should add that I feel like a total expert on yaoi manga, because right now I am currently living a LITERAL plot lifted right out of the pages of one of these drat books and it's sort of agony and ecstasy alternating in overly large amounts :gonk:

kaworu fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 8, 2017

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sunspot is fantastic, I've been reading it online but will definitely be buying a copy and wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone, not just BL fans.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
:siren: A whole bunch of Tamen De Gushi chapters just dropped :siren:

Those darn kids are extremely entertaining.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
FYI for October - Scarlet Beriko's Jackass is getting an English release by SuBLime

e: also since this was news to me and I just saw it on amazon, the last volume (25) of Kamisama Kiss is available in a limited edition, comes out in October as well

quote:

This limited edition includes the dramatic conclusion of Kamisama Kiss in a volume with new cover art as well as an exclusive art book with 16 pages of color illustrations, a character chart, bonus epilogue chapter , pencils for the final chapter and an interview with the author.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 9, 2017

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mikl posted:

:siren: A whole bunch of Tamen De Gushi chapters just dropped :siren:

Those darn kids are extremely entertaining.
if you're talking about the ones that just dropped on batoto, most of them were available elsewhere before. I think 138 is new though

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

There was a comic about a tomboyish girl who might have been on a kendo team and her romance with a feminine guy. Does any have any idea what it's name might be?

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Galvanik posted:

There was a comic about a tomboyish girl who might have been on a kendo team and her romance with a feminine guy. Does any have any idea what it's name might be?

Mizutama Honey Boy

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

kaworu posted:

edit: I should add that I feel like a total expert on yaoi manga, because right now I am currently living a LITERAL plot lifted right out of the pages of one of these drat books and it's sort of agony and ecstasy alternating in overly large amounts :gonk:

Hmm---as much as I'm a fan of my anime 2D bf I feel awk for liking BL since it often falls into the same problems shojo suffers from different series like they end up locked in tropes. Not to mention I'm not a man so I feel like I'm objectifying them for entertainment (yes, ik they're not real).

The best way I can say it feels the main focus on their physical relationship than any kinds of intimacy like supportive partners depending on the manga-ka's prior works. Sometimes I read BL-lite series where it's a character study of a certain MC's relationships w/others and how they feel regards their place in society. I don't count dj vs original manga the same either.

For example, when everything starts out normal and the drama train hits and I have no idea where the plot line is going which is a pain even for reg books. My ideal BL would be less crazy antics and just average people who are trying to figure out how to live their lives. It's not exactly fluff but for once I don't want everyone to die last min or have their partner suddenly transfer overseas for their job. Harada does a decent job w/her intro manga but then all her guys end up in abusive relationships sooner or later which is depressing :sadwave:

Alder fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 9, 2017

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
As a gay guy I enjoy this big category of us media about us being sexy and getting in cute or even weird and hosed up relationships and you should too without guilt. Its ok I think fictional guys being romantic is cute/hot too, you wouldn't worry about this with straight romance.

*screaming from the hecking rooftops* Read Itoshi no Nekokke and its short prequel

e: I was initially weirded out by Harada's huge fetish for terrible situations and people but now Jean Genet is my favorite gay author so whatever.
Roleplay couple and the one about piercings are mostly free of sin

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Aug 9, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Nihilarian posted:

if you're talking about the ones that just dropped on batoto, most of them were available elsewhere before. I think 138 is new though
TBH if something is getting released for the first time on batoto, they might as well be new releases for me.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I read a lot of really cute fluff BLs that have limited drama and happy endings. Also 2nd all of this except the gay guy part since I'm just a fujo

DisDisDis posted:

As a gay guy I enjoy this big category of us media about us being sexy and getting in cute or even weird and hosed up relationships and you should too without guilt. Its ok I think fictional guys being romantic is cute/hot too, you wouldn't worry about this with straight romance.

*screaming from the hecking rooftops* Read Itoshi no Nekokke and its short prequel

e: I was initially weirded out by Harada's huge fetish for terrible situations and people but now Jean Genet is my favorite gay author so whatever.
Roleplay couple and the one about piercings are mostly free of sin

especially the read Itoshi no Nekokke part

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rutta To Kodama is another one that's a good place to start, it's two boys living in a dorm as roommates and boyfriends and is really cute and good and also complete. Honto Yajuu is ongoing but pretty long, and is a very fun and lighthearted romance between a policeman and a gangster.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Alder posted:

Hmm---as much as I'm a fan of my anime 2D bf I feel awk for liking BL since it often falls into the same problems shojo suffers from different series like they end up locked in tropes. Not to mention I'm not a man so I feel like I'm objectifying them for entertainment (yes, ik they're not real).

A lot (probably most) of BL is definitely more than a little problematic, though in most ways not any more or less than your average shounen harem manga or something. It does have a separate issue due to the "almost always written by and for straight women" aspect (in the sense that it's basically turning gay relationships into fetish material for women), though as you can see from this thread there are still a minority of readers who are actually gay (or otherwise men attracted to men) themselves who read it.

It's kind of a difficult topic where to draw the line between a harmless fictional fantasy/fetish and something that is genuinely a problem due to the influence it has on readers (a lot of dynamics come to mind that involve the main characters acting in ways that would be deeply unacceptable in reality). I think BL is generally okay in this regard, since most readers are women and are highly unlikely to actually behave that way in their own relationships due to what they read (as opposed to many straight-male-oriented romance manga that might actually influence the beliefs and actions of a teenage boy in a harmful direction).

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ytlaya posted:

A lot (probably most) of BL is definitely more than a little problematic, though in most ways not any more or less than your average shounen harem manga or something.

are you making this generalization based on having read *any* BL or just on your assumptions about it

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
A minority of readers here (lmao) addressing the BL rape elephant in the room: this is something that's very common in women's romance het or gay, everywhere not just Japan. This phenomena makes sense and isn't inherently super hosed up or anything I don't think. It's pretty common in bara stuff too for probably much the same reason. I've had some great experiences with very forward guys so I'm partial to the pushy rear end in a top hat bf character people love to complain about on occasion.

Also can we kill this loving narrative that it's bad or problematic for people who aren't gay men to create media, even *gasp* sexy media about gay men. When I saw Chris's rear end constantly in YoI I thought "awesome, that's hot" not that I was being dehumanized or something. Like this attitude comes out of political correctness I guess so I won't accuse people with it of bigotry but the logical end result is straight people not consuming or creating media about gay people which is uh, what the homophobes want.

And while we're on the straight issue for a moment there's a lot of lesbians (or otherwise glg) into BL both in Japan and around the world (much like other gay male media.) And if you've ever been on tumblr or had a look at the mangago forum threads its pretty clear a huge number of young LGBT women use it as a space to explore gay sexuality without having to confront themselves as directly. (Not to mention young gay men being into it etc.) Which I think is something important that's left out of this evil straight women fetishizing the gays discussion a lot.

You can read all about the historical/current problems with the fujo fandom and their interactions with gay men (and yes, problematic depictions of the same) but the attitude should be for better communication and continued creation, screwing up and improving not "don't make or read gay stuff."

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
http://woodlandsecrets.co/episode/76 This podcast ep has a really good discussion on female authors of amazon gay romance novels and it being great for that to exist for women but also those being potentially formative for a lot of gay men and needing to take responsibility for that in their representation of us. The conclusion definitely isn't "don't write or read gay romance novels"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Yeah, that isn't my conclusion either. Saying something has problematic elements doesn't mean "it should be erased from the Earth and no one should read it." I mean, that's true of most media to varying degrees.

are you making this generalization based on having read *any* BL or just on your assumptions about it

I've read about as much BL as shoujo; i.e. it's a minority of my total reading but I'm not totally ignorant about it. I considered trying to explain my perspective in more detail here, but would rather not get into an argument about it. Regardless, the conclusion of my reply to Alder's post was "it's fine."

Just to be absolutely clear, I am not condemning BL as a genre. There are probably just as many good BL series as good series from other romance-focused genres (and maybe more when compared with shounen romances, depending upon what you think about melodrama). But the general topic of a genre tailoring LGBT characters towards the desires of a straight audience is still worth discussing (not in this thread, but just generally speaking), just like people discuss the portrayal of lesbians in male-oriented fiction (and in the same way, tastes are ultimately subjective and there's nothing stopping, for example, a gay or bi woman from appreciating something filmed/drawn with male gaze). Basically there are two avenues people tend to criticize BL from; one is the existence of stuff like consent issues, and, as DisDisDis mentioned, this isn't so much a BL-specific thing as it is something shared between both BL and shoujo (and it's also certainly not universal, even if it's a very common trope). The other is the aforementioned "LGBT content produced by and targeted at a straight audience" issue, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing so much as it is "a thing to think about."

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I dunno I would like to hear what specifically about these BL stories is problematic beyond "because they're by straight people." To put it bluntly, the vast majority of BL I've read doesn't have enough substance to really say anything bad about gay people. It's just guys gain interest in each other > sometimes there's a middle step where they have to deal with some drama > usually they have sex. Which is a great plot arc for a short romance story. But I'm wondering what's emerging in that setup that's so bad for gay men. On the rare-ish occasion you find bara that follows this sweet romance setup and not dub/non con bondage loving there's no obvious difference I see due to those stories being by gay men. (Besides the obvious I mean, draw more big masc dudes bottoming please fujos) I'm definitely more permissive of super hosed up premises in bara vs yaoi but I don't even really see a huge difference there, besides that not even Harada can hope to measure up to the incredible perversion of my adorabe grandpa Gengoroh Tagame.

I've definitely read some stories where I just can't relate period, the "I'm not gay I just love YOU" trope makes me cringe, but these are both quite rare. I used to be more weirded about some taboo sex fantasies being projected on people like me but I'm over it. (The omegaverse still squicks me out, sorry merritt.) When I was first getting into BL I often complained that a lot of the couples/stories felt like they took place in a vacuum disconnected from any kind of gay community or societal homophobia - which is why Itoshi no Nekkoke was such a revelation to me - but now I'm finding the kinds of stories I was looking for then really common (large casts of couples, portrayals of bar culture etc, dealing with societal issues) and I'm in a different place in my life where I'm very happy reading stories without homophobia in them.

Sure, if you tell me a BL story is written by a lesbian or gay man it'll suddenly perk up my interest where I might not have been paying attention before but like, the only "this is definitely by a straight person" thing I run into with any regularity is anuses not needing lube and slow going to put penises in them. And there's plenty of women who are very good about that part :mrgw:

I've read a few novels by Kathie Acker and Jean Genet recently and those are more the kind/caliber of gay story I'd be skeptical about straight people doing. On the other hand I haven't heard anything about Toshio Matsumoto being gay and Funeral Parade of Roses is one of my favorite movies ever.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Oh I forgot to say read Blue Sky Complex read Blue Sky Complex

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I recall reading that particularly older BL stuff would play fast and loose with both anatomy and treating the, ah, receiving role as coded-female, but the former is not a moral failing and the latter is not exactly a surprise in general in older works featuring gay men. This is also second-hand, as I am a straight dude who hasn't ever had much interest in BL.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mors Rattus posted:

I recall reading that particularly older BL stuff would play fast and loose with both anatomy and treating the, ah, receiving role as coded-female
Good old Yaoi Holes.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Also yaoi hands! wtfyaoianatomy is a very good tumblr.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Folks who have only browsed the yaoihands blog and formed opinions based on that are not people I'd want to hear BL Opinions from tbh.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

That's 100% not me :shrug:

I don't read as much BL as I used to, but I do like it. And I've read a lot of it, and have criticisms for it, despite liking it.

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012
Do you think yaoi is a loving joke buddy?

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
speaking as a gay man who used to read bl and now mostly reads slash fanfic & gay romance novels (which are also predominately female in both creators & audience) I had a lot of trouble finding stuff I liked -- there weren't a lot of good rec lists & i ended up just opening up a bunch of tabs and trying to find something that interested me. I honestly can't remember much of what I looked at from back then.

I think one of the authors I really latched onto was Inariya Fusanosuke -- I liked how at least one of the members of the couples she wrote looked distinctly more rugged than the other manga I came across at the time (most of which I can't remember), but the rape turned me off after a while.

I had trouble getting invested in most of the relationships in the books I read, and eventually found that romance novels scratched that itch better for me. I got really attached to this author called sidorosidoro who drew completely sfw naruto doujin though.

Anyways I just follow shiminame tasogare (which i have to thank this thread for discovering) & Canis these days. I did devour Yuri on Ice when it was airing, even if I found the last episode to be disappointing

I admit my line of thought regarding BL does fall into "can be problematic b/c of the constant mapping of heterosexuality onto gay couples" & "can be rapey at times". I haven't really dug through the genre in years so my impressions are several years old, mind you (the first point has gotten reinforced by me learning that apparently fangirls care enough about who's on top in a pairing that the ship name will actually indicate this information, i.e. iruka/kakashi vs kakashi/iruka, and that there can be distinct communities for each one, but that admittedly is also more doujin & not BL, and I'm not sure how closely the two genres are related)

anyways I'll go back to lurking now

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm not trying to handwave away the issues the genre has by any means, because they are very real. It just gets old to hear the same things about it over and over when there are lots of manga that have been recommended in this very thread that don't have rape or weird dynamics or terrible art, and if BL isn't your thing fine but if the issue is just "I can't find one that doesn't do ___" then maybe take a look at some of them.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Is anyone really saying that though? :confused:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Gnossiennes posted:

Is anyone really saying that though? :confused:

ya

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
to be fair, i think my post gave off that impression

this thread has been useful in looking at other series i never would've heard of otherwise, and on that note I read the first chapter of blue sky complex and it was good

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

I recall reading that particularly older BL stuff would play fast and loose with both anatomy and treating the, ah, receiving role as coded-female, but the former is not a moral failing and the latter is not exactly a surprise in general in older works featuring gay men. This is also second-hand, as I am a straight dude who hasn't ever had much interest in BL.

Old BL is awesome because everyone's a super femme alien vampire and the golden age shoujo artists are all complete monster illustrators.

I'm curious where the yaoi hands era falls chronologically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

kurona_bright posted:

to be fair, i think my post gave off that impression

this thread has been useful in looking at other series i never would've heard of otherwise, and on that note I read the first chapter of blue sky complex and it was good

Itoshi no Nekkoke treats the characters' sexuality in a way that feels very authentic and sexual compatibility is a big point in the main couple's relationship since of them is a (massive airquotes) straight guy. The development around it is really good. It was the second yaoi manga I felt like I could relate to at all (first one was an obscure oneshot with a guy blundering into a popular cruising spot) and the one that really inspired me to explore the genre more. It's by the same author as Rakugo, which had an anime adaptation that was really popular around here.

FYI for October - Scarlet Beriko's Jackass is getting an English release by SuBLime

Completely missed this but awesome