Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Megamissen posted:

is there some better term than chapter for these short forms?

Omake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Li'l guys.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I dunno if it was this thread specifically, but thank you to whoever recommended Shiroyama & Mita-san, very delightful stuff

ah, here we go

sinky posted:

Shiroyama to Mita-san
They are total weirdos

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

Its delightful and what I imagine Junji Ito doing Romcom would look like. Two outwardly emotionless yet loving wonderful couple just vibing with each other.

Shiroyama and Mita are themselves great, but I like all the side characters too. The first chapter with Shiroyama's sisters was one of my favorites, especially the younger one going on about her favorite romance manga.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Thanks, I bookmarked most of these

Very glad I came to this thread. This is pretty much the only place I take manga recs from

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

Given how badly Insomniacs After School dropped the ball on its final chapter, this made up a little bit.

Oh no, I've been meaning to read Insomniacs after watching the anime. Is the ending bad enough to warrant just stopping at a certain point or just kind of disappointing or what?

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Cool! The first one was one of the first josei series I read. I still wish it would get an official translation, or something a little more polished anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Teaser for the Ikoku Nikki live action adaptation

I’ve read almost no manga since it ended. It was quite simply too good & nothing else compares.

I've been reading it over the last three weeks with the stipulation that I'd read only when I had a good chunk of time to devote to it and also read no more than one volume per day. I'm on the last one now. I will say both that it's one of the best series I've ever read and that it also has some small problems.

Some of this might be attributable to the scanlation, but I feel like I spent a lot of time trying to figure out who was saying what. In any conversation featuring more than two speakers, I usually just gave up and read it all as a big jumble, though that worked out fine most of the time since that's how group conversations tend to be in reality. I also think that if the scanlators were going to go through the trouble of cleaning and redrawing the onomatopoeia, then they should've "translated" them the best they could, but that's a very minor nitpick.

I wasn't a big fan of the use of brief flashbacks that becomes very frequent towards the latter half. Like, if you were reading this as it was published, I feel like you would've forgotten the context or significance of a lot of the flashbacks. Not a big problem for me, but if there's ever an official localization (which I would definitely buy), I have to wonder if people will get more confused when they have to wait longer between volumes.

But definitely one of the best series I've ever read. Probably the best since I can't think of anything else I liked better. It really portrays a lot of the weird things you feel when you lose a close family member, particularly in how it affects you in unexpected ways during day to day life instead of having one big clear cut emotional climax and then being resolved forever. I also liked that while the subject matter was inherently sad, it didn't feel arduous or gut wrenching to get through. It was like... A grief-comedy slice of life, if that makes any sense.

I'm really sad that I only have that one volume left, because I also haven't seen any other manga like it. I particularly loved how the series could pivot from sadness and grief, to cute and goofy comedy, and then to something surprisingly tender and heartfelt in the span of just two or three pages.

It is a story dealing very intensely with grief, coming-of-age, and finding meaning in life without going too over the top in the way any other manga with a similar premise would. It really earns its serious moments. I 100% recommend anyone read it who thinks it sounds the least bit interesting (just make sure to read at least to chapter two since the first chapter is essentially a prologue). I'm really grateful to everyone who posted about it for getting me to read it.

(Only very tangentially related, but if anyone's looking for a pretty good comedy, check out Onna no Sono no Hoshi / Star of the Girls' Garden. I mention it here because it ran in the same josei magazine as IK and I also wanted to tell people to read it but don't really know what thread it would go in. There's only about ten chapters translated so far, but I really like its drier style of comedy juxtaposed with how strange a lot of the characters and situations are. It's about a very unassuming teacher at an all-girls high school whose students and coworkers are all weirdos without being too cartoonish.)