Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Olfa are my favorite utility knife. Got mine in art school and it's been great the last 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My Knipex utility knife is my favorite. I wish I had it back in my retail days when I was slicing open boxes and pallets of poo poo.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
About to pull the trigger on a Makita DSP600 or DSP601. I'm already past the elbow deep into the Makita 18V ecosystem.

These saws fit nicely and directly on the rails/tracks, no adapter needed, right?
The 601 only offers the remote control BlueTooth vacuum start thingie over the 600, right?

Upgrading from a DHS680 which has treated me well.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Squibbles posted:

There's been some discussion in this thread a few times. I believe the Ego ones are pretty well regarded though I don't know much about them. Also Greenworks/Kobalt are nice. I had a greenworks mower before we moved and it was good. It came with 2 batteries and a fast charger that had a fan in it so it could charge up the battery in 15-20 minutes I think, which is actually faster than the mower discharged them, so theoretically you could continue indefinitely just swapping the batteries back and forth between the mower/charger. I'm sure it wouldn't be great for the batteries though and it might slow down charging if they get too hot. I think the Greenworks Chainsaw is pretty well regarded when I was looking up reviews of it, and they have a full range of yard tools (strimmers etc) as well.

Cool, thanks!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I have a new Ego mower, and so far I like it; I've only used it five times. I don't think the battery is cross-compatible with other tools, though; it's a pretty chunky 56V thing. My impression was that lower-voltage battery tools, like what you'd get from DeWalt, Makita, etc would lack the oomph to be usable for mowing. Even if you double up the batteries like my battery-powered weedwhacker, that'd be a peak 40V, more like 36V sustained.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

That Works posted:

TAJIMA Utility Knife - 1" 7-Point Rock Hard Magazine Snap Blade Box Cutter with Auto Lock & 3 Rock Hard Blades - AC-700S https://a.co/d/2tgLzkN

Bought one of these and some blades ages ago I think on a rec from this thread and it's worked great for years.

Yeah, the TAJIMA knife is great. Works great for cutting batt insulation as well.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I randomly replaced my hand me down old Ryobi 7” circular saw with a mighty Dewalt 60v cordless 7” that caught my eye in the store for something else. It’s absurd how much quieter it is than the old saw. The noise went from a loud clanging whining death saw to what sounds like a vacuum until it starts cutting. The brake also seems like a handy safety feature. It cuts incredibly easily. Hurrah

However, the cheapest battery they had (6ah) runs out really fast. It needs the fancier 60v batteries and two hundred dollar batteries are pretty painful (the tool itself was that much). Are any of the knock off batteries any good?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I really need an electric nail gun/stapler for doing upholstery. Ideally a fairly lightweight one for my wife's tiny hands. If it could also pin wood that would be perfect, but mostly upholstery.

Been looking at the MAESTRI ME53 Electric Stapler & Pin Gun which seems good.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

However, the cheapest battery they had (6ah) runs out really fast. It needs the fancier 60v batteries and two hundred dollar batteries are pretty painful (the tool itself was that much). Are any of the knock off batteries any good?

I have yet to find any knock off battery that stands up to OEM batteries. Some appear to at first and then fail quickly.

The tool companies sell batteries now, in the razor blade model. All but give away the handles (tools) and sell the blades (batteries). The OEM batteries are generally a good value for what you get and a known quantity. The aftermarket is a crapshoot of everything from ill-fitting plastics, missing thermal overload protection (so they can catch on fire on your charger or tool) and inferior cells, some of them outright used cells inside shiny new plastics. The best you can do is to wait for sales and stock up on batteries that way. Some of those sales are bundles with tools you already have, which is why there are so many inexpensive brand new bare tools on ebay.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Cheap compressors are just loud, yeah. Even the expensive ones aren't gonna be quiet.

You can now get 60dB 2-gallon oil-free compressors for under $200. Harbor Freight sells one under Fortress, and I have that one (selling off the metric standard Ridgid pancake that clocked in north of 100dB). The same base model is sold by Metabo HPT, Kobalt, California Air Tools, and a few others.

You should still wear ear pro because air nailers and air tools are loud, but the compressor won't terrorize your family. It's small so it cycles a lot more than my old 5-gallon one, but I can't hear when it turns on under my muffs.

Between that and the Festool CT Midi I got recently, I have started just forgetting to turn the vac and the compressor off sometimes because I can't hear either one while working.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 5, 2024

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

+1 rec for OLFA, this thread recommended them to be and it is excellent

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Trimming a tree in my front yard, and I might have to run to Home Depot and impulse buy a Ryobi 18v chainsaw. I've already got the 8" pole saw and it's plenty powerful for what I need, it's just ungainly to use close up. I also don't currently have any HP batteries.

Looks like my options are between a 6" pruning saw vs a 10" saw, both in regular and HP+ combinations (with HP requiring me to spend more to also get a battery.

I'm on a less than quarter acre city lot with one big tree on my property, plus a neighbors tree that extends over mine. I'm mostly just pruning, along with trimming some of the pruned branches down to go into city pick up. Those branches aren't more than an inch or two in diameter. I guess I'm talking myself into the 6" pruning saw, but I suppose I could be talked into the larger 10" saw if you really twisted my arm.

And I don't feel like the HP is worth it for me. The One+ pole saw is plenty powerful enough, and I'm close enough to the house and have enough batteries that I don't know it's worth the extra expense.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
1-2" branches are too small for a chainsaw to be worth it, in my opinion. You can get through that much material in like 15 seconds of good sawing by hand. Hell, depending on the tree species, you could probably just rip the branches right off with your bare hands if you pull in the correct direction.

Like, I'm not gonna tell you not to buy a new toy, but it seems like overkill for this use case.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

FISHMANPET posted:

Trimming a tree in my front yard, and I might have to run to Home Depot and impulse buy a Ryobi 18v chainsaw. I've already got the 8" pole saw and it's plenty powerful for what I need, it's just ungainly to use close up. I also don't currently have any HP batteries.

Looks like my options are between a 6" pruning saw vs a 10" saw, both in regular and HP+ combinations (with HP requiring me to spend more to also get a battery.

I'm on a less than quarter acre city lot with one big tree on my property, plus a neighbors tree that extends over mine. I'm mostly just pruning, along with trimming some of the pruned branches down to go into city pick up. Those branches aren't more than an inch or two in diameter. I guess I'm talking myself into the 6" pruning saw, but I suppose I could be talked into the larger 10" saw if you really twisted my arm.

And I don't feel like the HP is worth it for me. The One+ pole saw is plenty powerful enough, and I'm close enough to the house and have enough batteries that I don't know it's worth the extra expense.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-O...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have the DeWalt version of this and it's awesome. Breaks down branches and prunes in no time.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

That sounds like pruning blade on a sawzall territory

I mean, far be it from me to try to dissuade someone from buying a chainsaw because they want to own a chainsaw, but you'll definitely get more mileage and general use from having a good reciprocating saw

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah I keep telling myself that. Honestly the electric pruner purchase was purely a toy purchase, I actually needed it for one job where a $10 chain on a string would have sufficed. But then again I'm finding the pole saw very useful here now that I've got it.

Despite so few trees I keep coming up with these huge piles of brush that are a pain to deal with. This year it's this big pile from this one tree that hasn't been pruned in years. Last year it was cutting down a bunch of volunteer trees that had been growing for years, some a couple of inches in diameter. The year before that a storm blew a branch off my neighbors tree into my backyard. So I somehow keep ending up with a lot of wood to cut up and dispose of, and my loppers and bow saw are capable of getting the job done, but it's an awful lot of work, the type that I just put off forever and ever.

Yeah I'm talking myself into getting the pruning saw. I also looked it up to confirm, and I can use my One+ batteries in the HP tool, and the HP tool may not even have the extra connector to utilize an HP battery, but everything that's brushless gets branded as HP.

Wait, lol, you dumbass, you have a sawzall, I could just throw a blade on that and get it all taken care of. But, a toy!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I had to trim a single 4" branch that was 20 feet up so I took a scrap saw blade and screwed it to a long board and stood on a ladder and sawed it like that.

I know it goes against the broader ethos of the tool thread but if you're just trimming a couple branches don't underestimate the power of jank.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
^^^^^^gently caress yeah^^^^^^^^

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Looking for some help identifying some inherited tools. These were my grandfather's. He was a Ford mechanic for decades, so I'm assuming they're mostly auto related. Couldn't find any identifying model stamps on them. Any help appreciated!

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Tool in the far right and half cut off seems to be a leather punch?

Red handle is a spring compressing tool used in changing drum brake shoes.

Small silver thing with the loops is for gapping spark plugs.

Big HKP thing is a bolt cutter it seems?

Thing to the left of the bolt cutter is a cylinder hone.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 5, 2024

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thing on the right are exhaust hanger pliers. You use the punch side to drive the metal hanger out of the rubber hanger donuts. It's one of those tools most hame gamers don't know exist that they absolutely positively need if they ever need to touch one of those drat hangers. Otherwise you're just fighting with them/ripping them.

I think ROJO got the rest of these above.

E:

Motronic fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 5, 2024

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

ROJO posted:

Tool in the far right and half cut off seems to be a leather punch?

Leather, rubber, thin plastic, gasket material.

Works great on any softish sheet material if the cutters are sharp.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Motronic posted:

I have yet to find any knock off battery that stands up to OEM batteries. Some appear to at first and then fail quickly.

The tool companies sell batteries now, in the razor blade model. All but give away the handles (tools) and sell the blades (batteries). The OEM batteries are generally a good value for what you get and a known quantity. The aftermarket is a crapshoot of everything from ill-fitting plastics, missing thermal overload protection (so they can catch on fire on your charger or tool) and inferior cells, some of them outright used cells inside shiny new plastics. The best you can do is to wait for sales and stock up on batteries that way. Some of those sales are bundles with tools you already have, which is why there are so many inexpensive brand new bare tools on ebay.

That's a shame. When I upselled myself to a cordless it turns out the just $50 difference between the cordless and corded circular saws was an expensive $50. Oh well, it is an incredibly nice saw. When I first used it I didn't realize I had forgotten my earing protection it is so quiet. Just like upgrading the air compressor my future hearing / lack of headaches makes it worthwhile by itself.

tracecomplete posted:

You can now get 60dB 2-gallon oil-free compressors for under $200. Harbor Freight sells one under Fortress, and I have that one (selling off the metric standard Ridgid pancake that clocked in north of 100dB). The same base model is sold by Metabo HPT, Kobalt, California Air Tools, and a few others.

You should still wear ear pro because air nailers and air tools are loud, but the compressor won't terrorize your family. It's small so it cycles a lot more than my old 5-gallon one, but I can't hear when it turns on under my muffs.

Between that and the Festool CT Midi I got recently, I have started just forgetting to turn the vac and the compressor off sometimes because I can't hear either one while working.

Yeah, I bought the 2 gallon air fortress from HF that was on sale and it was very much worth it both for myself and not terrorizing the neighborhood with my ungodly loud old air compressor. I did have to buy in on the HF membership thing to get the sale price which will lead me to inevitably buy too much crap this year as I tell myself I need to take advantage of the membership while I have it.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Motronic posted:

Thing on the right are exhaust hanger pliers. You use the punch side to drive the metal hanger out of the rubber hanger donuts. It's one of those tools most hame gamers don't know exist that they absolutely positively need if they ever need to touch one of those drat hangers. Otherwise you're just fighting with them/ripping them.

I think ROJO got the rest of these above.

E:

Lol @ me for doing this very frustrating job last summer while these were in a drawer ten feet away!

Thanks to both of you for helping sort through it

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

FISHMANPET posted:

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah I keep telling myself that. Honestly the electric pruner purchase was purely a toy purchase, I actually needed it for one job where a $10 chain on a string would have sufficed. But then again I'm finding the pole saw very useful here now that I've got it.

Despite so few trees I keep coming up with these huge piles of brush that are a pain to deal with. This year it's this big pile from this one tree that hasn't been pruned in years. Last year it was cutting down a bunch of volunteer trees that had been growing for years, some a couple of inches in diameter. The year before that a storm blew a branch off my neighbors tree into my backyard. So I somehow keep ending up with a lot of wood to cut up and dispose of, and my loppers and bow saw are capable of getting the job done, but it's an awful lot of work, the type that I just put off forever and ever.

Yeah I'm talking myself into getting the pruning saw. I also looked it up to confirm, and I can use my One+ batteries in the HP tool, and the HP tool may not even have the extra connector to utilize an HP battery, but everything that's brushless gets branded as HP.

Wait, lol, you dumbass, you have a sawzall, I could just throw a blade on that and get it all taken care of. But, a toy!
You say you have the 8" one+ polesaw, so I assume you didn't get the kit with the baby chainsaw? Is it the polesaw that requires no lube? In case it isn't:

I always recommend this kit from Ryobi, when it's on sale.
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/P20310

Last time I posted that sale: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=2914751&pagenumber=1409&perpage=40#post529390061

It comes with both a 8" pole chainsaw and an 8" baby chainsaw. And both of them require no lubrication, so they always run dry and you can keep them in a bag.
(I use this bag for the polesaw and get a cheap blade cover like this which a buncha chinese companies make)
I don't have the baby chainsaw but the people who did get it loved it for what it was, specifically for the need of close up.

Unfortunately it looks like that kit is OOS on DTO. It looks like Home Depot has it in stock but it's like $200 w/ 2AH battery
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-O...20310/319354633
or $158 w/ 1.5AH battery
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18V-8-in-Cordless-Oil-Free-Pole-Saw-with-1-5-Ah-Battery-and-Charger-P2510/319723808
I'd say the latter is a better deal especially if you already have ryobi stuff. The 1.5AH will handle most small jobs tbh.

Now... regarding pruning chainsaws... are we talking about the chainsaw daggers? I have the 6" HP one and it works great; picked mine up during Ryobi days where it was paired w/ 2x 4AH non-HP batteries. They also run with no lube needed, so they run dry. And yeah, while it's bundled with HP batteries it doesn't have the extra connector to run HP.

You can get the 6" HP one from DTO for $90 currently + $15 shipping
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/P25013BTLVNM
Same is currently $150 at HD
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-HP-18V-Brushless-6-in-Battery-Compact-Pruning-Mini-Chainsaw-Tool-Only-P25013BTL/323563730

HD also offers an 8" HP for the same price of $150:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-HP-18V-Brushless-8-in-Battery-Compact-Pruning-Mini-Chainsaw-Tool-Only-PSBCW01B/327717798
Whether that's also setup without the HP battery terminal, I dunno. But it's probably the same unit except with a longer blade installed.

There also seems to be a non-HP 6" but I haven't tried it:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18V-6-in-Cordless-Battery-Compact-Pruning-Mini-Chainsaw-Tool-Only-PCLCW01B/327395491

If you go the Home Depot route, I'd ask how long can you wait. The best time to buy ryobi at home depot is when they run the battery deals. You'll be paying similar prices but get more batteries, or if you don't mind sticking it to home depot, you can always return the batteries and get the base tool cheaper.

Hope that helps!

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 5, 2024

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Thank you goons for talking me off the ledge of paying full retail for a tool I don't even need. I bought a $3 pruning blade for my recip saw instead.

Though it turns out neither solve the real problem I have which is disposing of these large piles of what is essentially brush. All the limbs I'm cutting have tons and tons of branches growing off of them. My city picks up yard waste, but it either needs to be in cans or cut to 3 feet in length and bundled up. I had one 32 gallon can that I "filled" up with brush, and then bought two more and filled them as best I could as it got dark (this week's pickup is in the morning). With the 3 cans I get well over half way through the pile I made today. And maybe that's just the answer, have more cans so I can get through a brush pile more quickly. But it's a huge pain trimming all these branches down to fit in a big can. I keep getting tempted by some little electric wood chippers but I'm not sure electric can provide enough power even for my small stuff, and anything gas would just be extreme overkill.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

An 18v chainsaw would break that poo poo down np np

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

In all seriousness though if you just go at that poo poo with loppers you'll be finished in less time than it takes you to do another round trip to the store.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Also, you can just try to stack it neatly near the curb and the city may just pick it up. If they don’t, just trim some more till they do.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've got a nice sharp pair of loppers, that's what I've been using to cut this stuff up, it just takes up so much volume that I pretty quickly fill all my cans without getting very far through the piles. Last year was really bad, the city only picked up yard waste every other week, and I also have lawn clippings and stuff to dispose of. In theory, if I could somehow shred all these branches I'm sure they'd fit in a single can. But now I've got 3, and hopefully the city will pick up every week this summer. And if not, maybe I'll just go buy even more cans, they're not that expensive anyways.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
I have no experience with them, but light duty electric chippers do exist. Obviously there's a capacity limit and it might be more work to cut off all the smaller branches to feed through one at a time, but you'd cut down on waste bulk which seems to be your main complaint.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Small chipper are garbage. They are an exercise in frustration.

Even my small chipper - which takes branches up to 4" and is being pushed by a 26 HP diesel (tractor PTO) - is a piece of poo poo. If it's not big enough to have a self feeder you probably don't want to operate it. Largely because you have to trim things down so much to fit in the opening that you might as well just stack them up in bundles at that point.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

yup, got a small gas chipper last year and immediately regretted it. the effort it takes to break large branches down isn't worth it, and the bigger brush chute has a narrow window between too thick for those blades and too thin/soft/just clogs up in the chute

it's also the only gas tool I own since no one really makes the like 240v/20a version that you'd probably need to make electric usable, so now I have to deal with that too

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Could you rent a truck and just take the brush pile to your local dump or transfer station?

In my neck of the woods we just drink some brewdoggies and burn that ish

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah every review I've ever seen for electric wood chippers has been "this loving thing is bullshit and a waste of my time and money"

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Rufio posted:

Could you rent a truck and just take the brush pile to your local dump or transfer station?

In my neck of the woods we just drink some brewdoggies and burn that ish
Moving from the suburbs to semi-rural has made dealing with brush MUCH easier.

gently caress ever again cutting everything down to straight 3 foot sticks that I could bundle to put on the curb. Anything relatively straight gets cut up for the wood stove and fire pit, anything bushy and nasty gets thrown out back on the big brushpile where the bunnies live.

My main problem is that the cheap remington chainsaw I bought as a stopgap like 6 years ago refuses to die and give me an excuse to buy a husky or a stihl.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
My dad used an electric chipper occasionally when I was a kid, but that was partially because he and Mom were big into composting and making their own mulch. Also partially because a neighbor planted a stand of bamboo along the fence, so every year there was a pile of bamboo to dispose of. I don't think they're useless, you just have to set your expectations properly. In particular, there's an upper limit on how big of a branch they'll accept, and you do have to trim the branches down or else they'll get wedged.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
We have an electric chipper like that and it's ok for stuff like apple tree pruning in the spring since those shoots it puts up are straight and don't have many branching... Branches.

Just got a gas chipper that can do up to 3 inch branches and it's way nicer, though I've still ended up with a bunch of branches too thick for it. It does have an ok sized thing on top for jamming bushy stuff into which works ok I guess. Not a ton of brushy stuff so far this spring but I'm sure there will be over the summer and fall.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a little sun joe electric chipper thing that I like. Mainly it makes smallish branches way more compact so I can fit a big pile into one bag without a bunch of lopping. I probably use 1/8 the number of yard waste bags.

It’s not fast the way a big self feeding one would be, and it’s not so much a chipper as something that cuts branches into 2-3” chunks, but it’s faster than doing it manually for me. This is with a, like, normal small city yard amount of brush and obviously it’s not something you’d want for a big property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Around here we call them grass chippers