Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

Have you ever been mat enforcer?

Have you ever been mat enforced?

Yes.

No.

There was a dude who game into the gym and was a kyokushin karate bb. He might have even won a championship, I forget. He thought he was very knowledgeable about grappling. He was not, but he was tough.

The entire gym was mat enforcer for a while, tbh. The guy just didn't realize that trying to teach a bunch of bjj people grappling was not the greatest idea.

At least he got a lot of reps in defending knee on belly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Legit Businessman posted:

Yes.

No.

There was a dude who game into the gym and was a kyokushin karate bb. He thought he was very knowledgeable about grappling. He was not,

poo poo you unlocked a memory. We had a Japanese jiujitsu guy come in with similar thoughts about grappling he was a black belt of some flavor. He was...interesting... here are some conversations he had with my coach.

On Black Belts)
Him:downs: "Hey I should wear my JJ Black belt."
Coach :colbert: "Uhm...sorry, but you're gonna have to wear a white belt."
:downs: "Why, we'd let you wear yours!"
:colbert: "I wouldn't wear a black belt because I don't know Japanese Jiujitsu."

On cross training)
:downs: " is there anyway we can trade memberships? You let me train here for free and you can come train?"
:colbert: "Uhm...no I'm too busy to train something else"

On training sessions)
:downs: "We should get all of our black belts together and have special training sessions!"
:colbert: "Sorry all I have is a few brown belts."
:downs: ":smugbert: Oh we have a lot of black belts, I can give you advice!"

Apparently he joined so he could start teaching what he was learning at our gym at his own gym, and boy howdy....dude wasn't much of a grappler at all. I think he ended up quitting after a few months.

edit: Thinking about it, dude wasn't so bad, he just had a really high opinion of the value of Japanese Jiujitsu to other martial arts.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 27, 2024

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
I've only kinda done some mat enforcing a couple times, partially because I happened to not be there on the days where it would have really been warranted and mostly because the head instructor usually vibe checks people hard enough before they ever set foot on the mat that that sort of thing isn't necessary. Two examples spring to mind:

* Some guy came in for his first class talking about how he used to wrestle and put someone in the hospital while he was working as a bouncer. He was big but not particularly athletic, so when it came time to roll, I approached it as a self-defense situation and quickly realized that his fighting abilities were greatly exaggerated. Luckily it was a pretty small class that night, so he just rolled with me and the instructor (a lanky nerd), and although neither of us went particularly hard with him, he didn't show up again.

* One of the newer guys (but experienced enough to know better) tried to escape back mount from a woman by powerbombing her. It wasn't particularly high-amplitude and she's a tough biddy, so she was fine, but I made a point of rolling with him immediately afterward and tapping him a bunch while moving as slowly as possible to emphasize the point that uncontrolled explosiveness was not required for success.

Defenestrategy posted:

This is who I generally get to do mat enforcing against, but it's more that I do ridiculous rear end submissions that are frankly embarrassing to get caught, Wrist locks from bottom side control, vader choke, muffler, mothers milk, or pin them by basically tying them up in their gi and carry on a boring conversation

This is just how I roll if I'm feeling silly, so there might be some very unhappy white belts who think I have it out for them, lol

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I'm the mat enforcer but for things like gi washing and nail trimming

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nestharken posted:

This is just how I roll if I'm feeling silly, so there might be some very unhappy white belts who think I have it out for them, lol

I've noticed some people just get REALLY mad when you don't take them seriously in grapple sports. I've been yelled at by white belts before for doing poo poo like continually recomposing guard rather than looking to get to top, or just running wrist locks, or apparently looking bored while letting them work on top.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm the mat enforcer but for things like gi washing and nail trimming

A saint.

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

Hellblazer187 posted:

Not officially or asked to be, but yes. It was another person in our gym who had a history of going too hard with the smaller folks, especially the women. I was quite friendly/chummy with some of them because I would roll fairly light (I'm ~85kg) with them but still make it competitive. Through a series of conversations I caught win he (~95kg) was being quite rough. He wasn't brand new either, as he was a blue belt and some of the girls were also blue belts, but a few were white belts. I decided to roll with him one time and realized he was just an awful person to roll with as he'd not really be safe or in control or anything. So the next time I just smothered him as much as I could for about 5mins straight never going for a submission. He never got better with being a bad roll so most people outside his weight category just ended up avoiding him from then on, but a few ppl saw what I was doing and thanked me or said he deserved it.

I don't think I was ever the subject of being mat enforced that I can tell.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I did get mat enforcered once at Marcelo's for doing a cheeky headscissors on a lady brown belt who was trying to rip my head off but I knew what was happening and just had a chill roll with the big guy they sent over

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

are head scissors considered a goon (pejorative) move?? I thought people loved to be gently yet firmly ensconced in my thighmeat

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Wangsbig posted:

are head scissors considered a goon (pejorative) move?? I thought people loved to be gently yet firmly ensconced in my thighmeat

I don't see why they would be unless you're using the neckcrank with it at a place that doesn't like neck cranks.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
i reference Goldeneye in BJJ like twice a month

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

I've heard stories from way back before I started of a lady in the extended BJJ social network who actually worked as an exotic dancer and had a nasty head scissors. This isn't the setup to a joke or anything; I've heard the anecdote from multiple people.

Unrelated to the above, but I just remembered the one time I probably was on the receiving end of an enforcement. I dropped in at a gym while traveling and rolled with another brown belt who was a little smaller and older than myself; I thought I was keeping the pace pretty controlled, but he wound up popping a rib while I was passing his guard even though I wasn't trying to turn up the presh or anything. :-\ I felt awful and didn't protest the ensuing thrashing from a seasoned brown belt that followed immediately after.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

In a similar vein to the mistaken identity situation, we once had a new purple belt join and on the first day our instructor asked one of the larger brown belts to “show him what we are about.”

The brown belt thought this meant roll with him and turn things up… the instructor actually meant for him to introduce him to people and make the new guy feel welcome.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Did the purple belt stay at the gym after that?

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

there's this grizzled older guy who recently got a brown belt at our gym and he always calls me out during sparring whenever he's around and won't let me do any of the moves I want to do and just smushes me despite me being heavier than him too.

i think he's the mat enforcer or something.

his name is starkebn

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

Our school finally got its own place so we're not stuck in the judo school schedule where we had our classes. This means that ever since starting up gi training a year ago, we finally have dedicated gi lessons rather than just wearing a gi to nogi classes.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

lovely tuna snatch posted:

Our school finally got its own place so we're not stuck in the judo school schedule where we had our classes. This means that ever since starting up gi training a year ago, we finally have dedicated gi lessons rather than just wearing a gi to nogi classes.

Doesn't wearing a gi to no-gi class make it a gi class?

Comrade_Robot
Mar 18, 2009

Hellblazer187 posted:

Once at my old school my coach told me to 'go roll with that guy', and I had a nice roll, and afterwards he insisted he 'gave me the signal' but nobody ever told me what the signal was. I also have run into a lot of new people who want to teach me, and I would smile, nod, then put them into kesa-gatame for a while until they got it out of their system.

Another of my coaches had a fun hobby where if you talked smack about somebody in the locker room he would cheerfully go up to the other person and say "Little Bob says you're scared of him and you can't pass his guard"

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

Defenestrategy posted:

Doesn't wearing a gi to no-gi class make it a gi class?

Kind of, but we haven't had any gi techniques taught thus far at all. I've only been learning them on open mat day when someone wraps me up in some kind of weird lapel choke and then explains how they did it :D

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

lovely tuna snatch posted:

Kind of, but we haven't had any gi techniques taught thus far at all. I've only been learning them on open mat day when someone wraps me up in some kind of weird lapel choke and then explains how they did it :D

Did you mix gi and nogi partners?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've threatened my club that if they get rid of gi classes then every class will become gi class and those white belts are going to get my gi around their necks at least five different ways , no matter what they're wearing

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Did you mix gi and nogi partners?

Yeah, we had Wednesdays as strongly suggested to come in gi, in practice that meant about 1/3 of folks being in gi. But during those days I at least tried to pick gi partners for the learning / rolling.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Ive gotten comfortable at my gym which means I talk about G-In-A-Gi and the yamma pit grappling from karate combat at randos who just wanna work out and comp team hardos

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Count Roland posted:

Did the purple belt stay at the gym after that?

He did, he enjoyed the rest of the time and now thinks the story is funny enough.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I'm awesome at Jiu jitsu in 45 second intervals because I'm an out of shape blob

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So much of my game is built on gi grips that I get just slightly salty at the people who always want to go no gi, mostly because it keeps me from practicing that stuff. If they're just straight up preparing for MMA all is forgiven but I sometimes get this sense that a lot of people think the gi is both unrealistic and literally holding them back, and I think this is one of the area where jiu Jitsu practitioners can veer towards bullshido in thinking that in the mythical streets no one can hold their shirt collar and training in the gi is little more than an unwanted anachronism.

Relatedly, I once saw an old Gene Lebell instructional where his no gi grips were based on seizing pieces of his opponent's body - he'd grab a solid hand full of the pectoral, or the trapezius, or the love handles/flanks, and it all seemed like something that's both very useful and not at all easy to practice in most modern gyms. Like, I have to think that if a Judo black belt grabs your trap and holds on tight, that could be a pretty good handle but would also be quite painful, but it's not something I really want anyone practicing on me.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

So much of my game is built on gi grips that I get just slightly salty at the people who always want to go no gi, mostly because it keeps me from practicing that stuff. If they're just straight up preparing for MMA all is forgiven but I sometimes get this sense that a lot of people think the gi is both unrealistic and literally holding them back, and I think this is one of the area where jiu Jitsu practitioners can veer towards bullshido in thinking that in the mythical streets no one can hold their shirt collar and training in the gi is little more than an unwanted anachronism.

Relatedly, I once saw an old Gene Lebell instructional where his no gi grips were based on seizing pieces of his opponent's body - he'd grab a solid hand full of the pectoral, or the trapezius, or the love handles/flanks, and it all seemed like something that's both very useful and not at all easy to practice in most modern gyms. Like, I have to think that if a Judo black belt grabs your trap and holds on tight, that could be a pretty good handle but would also be quite painful, but it's not something I really want anyone practicing on me.

you need to sliding collar strangle one of these dudes when he's wearing a coat with a zipper

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Went to ibjjf in okc. Six weeks of prep, three weeks of oh poo poo I misread the weight chart wrong diet, three hour one way drive, wait all day to spend an hour in the pit warming up only to find out my opponent didn't show up. How come us old skinny dudes can't ever get a match?

Oh well, at least there's masters world in august.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

knuthgrush posted:

Went to ibjjf in okc. Six weeks of prep, three weeks of oh poo poo I misread the weight chart wrong diet, three hour one way drive, wait all day to spend an hour in the pit warming up only to find out my opponent didn't show up. How come us old skinny dudes can't ever get a match?

Wow that sucks

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

Ive gotten comfortable at my gym which means I talk about G-In-A-Gi and the yamma pit grappling from karate combat at randos who just wanna work out and comp team hardos

One of us is having a stroke right now.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

knuthgrush posted:

This is why I hate comp. I lose my mind. Did they even allow you to combine a division?

Mind you the guy who watched me compete a few weeks ago in judo said it was almost uncanny how relaxed I looked even as I went to fight a heavyweight

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I was preparing to read "and then I lost in ten seconds" but it ended up way, way worse. drat that sucks, my condolences.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

That's lame; hope you were able to get a refund from them. The silver lining is that a good chunk of the benefits of competing is the focused training leading up to it, at least?

In other news, someone posted a thread in GBS with pictures of a vintage book that has some... interesting jiu-jitsu moves.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

If there was a thick in the middle division where you fight in business suits I might have a chance at gold.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Buschmaki posted:

comp team hardos

Got absolutely mauled by one of these chaps at an open mat this weekend. I'd never felt someone come at me with that much force and energy before. During the roll I said "do I owe you money or something? What is happening?"

It was very demoralizing but I suppose it was probably good for my development, learning just how far I need to develope in terms of like, physical output.

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

Nestharken posted:

That's lame; hope you were able to get a refund from them. The silver lining is that a good chunk of the benefits of competing is the focused training leading up to it, at least?

In other news, someone posted a thread in GBS with pictures of a vintage book that has some... interesting jiu-jitsu moves.

there's a different book you can check out on Archive.org from the 1920s or so.

https://archive.org/details/spaldings-jiu-jitsu

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nestharken posted:

"Yea just grab the other dudes nose." - A geniu in grappling

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Green Toad posted:

there's a different book you can check out on Archive.org from the 1920s or so.

https://archive.org/details/spaldings-jiu-jitsu

Thank you for posting this.

Theres an interesting post from Keenan Cornelius on Insta about the true origins of Jiu Jitsu in the US. Brazilians were like the Beatles of rock music; they made it popular, however they were not the first ones to show Americans the beauty of the art. Remember all those Combative videos of Helio? A lot of that can be found in these old books. The Japanese dont get enough credit for their part.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Thank you for posting this.

Theres an interesting post from Keenan Cornelius on Insta about the true origins of Jiu Jitsu in the US. Brazilians were like the Beatles of rock music; they made it popular, however they were not the first ones to show Americans the beauty of the art. Remember all those Combative videos of Helio? A lot of that can be found in these old books. The Japanese dont get enough credit for their part.

Judo had decades of precedence in showing these techniques to Americans, it just never broke into the public consciousness the way the UFC did. "Opening the closed guard" asserts that there's no technique used in Brazilian Jiujitsu that isn't found in Judo until the IBJJF exponentially increases tournament participation in the the early aughts. The public at large, even the majority of the martial artists in the USA, may have considered UFC 1 a revolution, but fundamentally there's nothing there that couldn't have been done by a Judoka with a preference for the ground game. Joe Rogan has an anecdote where he (with essentially only a kick boxing background at this point) gets a hold of a VHS tape of the event and has his view of fighting challenged by the fights; it seems like Royce is just dragging everyone to the ground and strangling them and they're powerless to stop him, but it's essentially the same outcome of a Judoka fighting a Boxer in the early 1960s when Gene Lebell eventually gets back mount and puts Milo Savage in a rear naked choke.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Love Robert Drysdale's books. Been meaning to read more of Roberto Pedreira's books as well but haven't found the time recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

After reflecting on rolling yesterday everyone who does gi needs judo in their life its just too much of a disadvantage in grappling. My coach is bigger, stronger, more technically sound, but I was basically able to keep the game even because Ive been doing judo consistently for a year at this point so everytime I got into a scramble and was able to make it to my feet Id be able to basically negotiate that to a top position of some kind. Its not that hes never had to have a stand up game its just he never had the formal education for it and hes mega rusty having rarely to do standup outside of rolling against me since hes basically retired from comp.