Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade_Robot
Mar 18, 2009

MycroftXXX posted:

So there is no such thing as a verbal submission on Judo? Weird.

The referee shall announce Ippon ... When a contestant gives up by tapping twice or more with his hand or foot or says Maitta (I give up!) generally as a result of Osaekomi-waza, Shime-waza or Kansetsu-waza.

http://judoinfo.com/pdf/Contest%20Rules-03.pdf

Notice that there is a difference between yelling Maitta and yelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade_Robot
Mar 18, 2009

Defenestrategy posted:

Judo friends, am I correct in thinking that Tani-Otoshi is the resort of cowards!

[It's me I'm the coward that punishes people trying turn throws with it while not offering any significant judo attacks]

When I first started, I was doing the same thing and my instructor told me that trying to be a counter player is a trap because it works well at the beginning but your own judo never improves that way. There are notable counter examples like Khabarelli but generally I think he’s right.

Comrade_Robot
Mar 18, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've got my third Judo tournament Oct 29th, so my (BJJ) coach offered to do Judo style stand up work with me after class most nights. I recorded the first session and I'd appreciate any feedback or advice:

https://youtu.be/ZvwxNVqZIhE?feature=shared

I should set the stage by saying the advice I'm already getting from my Sensei is 1) attack more 2) commit in my attacks 3) don't wait around when I have dominant grips, attack. I'm trying, but it's slow going, and I'd welcome any additional feedback on specific sequences where those problems are particularly highlighted (I see a few myself), or anything else you see.

I swear I don't normally throw myself down to avoid being thrown, I was just thinking about Judo tournament rules. Also, my coach doesn't do Judo so we don't really need to dwell on stalling, illegal grips, etc.

There are many moments where your coach has no grips on you and therefore cannot really stop you from attacking, but you're not attacking. You should be attacking. What is your favorite technique? I also see a lot of attempts at low commitment things that make you seem hesitant.

Reaching for a high collar grip with your right hand while stepping in with your right foot will get you into trouble one day. (I once lost a match in 10 seconds because of this, which is why I'm so sensitive to it, but there are multiple things that kind of work off of that, including what my old BJJ gym called 'sticky-foot').

You also read as hesitant to grip up, even though to me, gripping is what stops those nasty wrestlers from touching my precious legs.

Of course, some of this might be you being intimidated of playing against your coach.

Comrade_Robot
Mar 18, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

Thanks all, that's about what I figured but it's still useful to hear it from other people, and some of those specifics I hadn't noticed. Regarding the need to attack, I don't "see" the dominant gripping situation most of the time, so I'm trying to male myself attack when they feel merely equal, because if I want for dominant grips I think I end up waiting for something perfect. I'm hoping my awareness of the grips gets better with time. Regarding my gripping, I generally think it's pretty good, but I'm probably gun shy with that instructor in particular because, in BJJ stand up, he's developed a habit of immediately blasting an attack as soon as I reach for him, like a single leg or that Ouchi Gake, and it's made me get a little more stand offish until our grips settle down.

So, the four things I'm going to try to do more of will be to spam attacks more, don't accept his grips as much, don't waste as much time and energy on ashi waza with no kuzushi, and always be turning to turtle when thrown.

Tonight is no gi but I should be able to get another round of tachi waza with him. Hell I guess I could just bring a jacket anyway, I'll message him about that.

The exact feeling your instructor gives you -- that if you get too close you get attacked so you don't get too close -- this is the feeling you want other people to have. To me (and this may be #heavyweightthings), my grips are a great source of comfort: they let me feel what my opponent is doing, control my opponent, and slow them down enough to get my body into position to block attacks. I'm tall, and it's much much easier for people to shoot if I'm not gripped up, so I aggressively pursue grips. I learned in a time before video and don't have any particular instructionals to recommend, but generally if my right foot is forward I reach with my left hand. You can use your left hand to feed to your right hand if you want.

A big difference between BJJ and Judo is that standing, it's difficult to get the same kind of control over your opponent that you can get on the ground, so dominant gripping situation is very different. The opportunity to attack in Judo appears and disappears in an instant, and your body has to be ready to explode into your attack the moment you feel or create that opportunity. Generally, judo players will pick a 'tokui-waza', or 'pet/favorite technique' and heavily specialize in that, so you'll eventually get to a position where you feel confident in attacking, and you'll be able to instantly feel the moment the opportunity opens.

Good luck with your tournament!

Comrade_Robot
Mar 18, 2009

Defenestrategy posted:

Why uchimata when harai?

The only uchimata i recognize is front uchimata

I was told uchimata is faster, but you have to be on target; you can muscle harai if you have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade_Robot
Mar 18, 2009

Hellblazer187 posted:

Have you ever been mat enforcer?

Have you ever been mat enforced?

Once at my old school my coach told me to 'go roll with that guy', and I had a nice roll, and afterwards he insisted he 'gave me the signal' but nobody ever told me what the signal was. I also have run into a lot of new people who want to teach me, and I would smile, nod, then put them into kesa-gatame for a while until they got it out of their system.

Another of my coaches had a fun hobby where if you talked smack about somebody in the locker room he would cheerfully go up to the other person and say "Little Bob says you're scared of him and you can't pass his guard"