Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
Hi, I just started training a few months ago and last night finished the “introductory” course that my local gym has. I’ve been doing gi and really enjoying it. We have not been sparring much in the introductory class (it’s learning positions and escapes mostly) but we did some rolling to finish off yesterday andI managed to catch someone in a triangle for the first time. That felt nice.

Question: we have a really big and strong guy in the class (like 130+kg), I’m not small at just under 100kg but whenever I get him in a dominant position (side control, mount) he just bench presses the gently caress out of me. I’ve tried catching an armbar a few times when he does this but It’s not going great. Any advice? He also had a prolific strongman stomach which makes it really hard to get solid control as he’s so loving big…. Guess I just keep rolling with him until I figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Okay thanks, I'll try that a bit more next time. It's just really rough when suddenly you are a meter off the ground and have been bench pressed 100% by a strongman. Will try to move around the arms and flow to a better position.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

Also, have they introduced you to S mount or technical mount yet? It can be just plain difficult to do a traditional mount on guys with big bellies.

We learned them in the context of mount to arm bar transition. I'll try it :) I'll also try some big boy knee on belly riding.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
As someone transitioning from almost exclusively strength training to bjj I found this video by RP to be really great. RP (imo) has some of the best strength training information on the internet and knowing they care about bjj as well feels good :)

https://youtu.be/f8Vhi7SuFe8

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
I was grappling with a white belt yesterday and i've never felt someone put so much strength into a roll before. Dude was fighting like it was to the death. He gassed pretty quickly. Just felt so weird having someone fully tensed and holding on for life. I'm also a white belt but I just don't really use too much strength and focus on balance and technique - i'm terrible at the sport still :)

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
How are you all handling volume of training? I'm trying to find the right amount to improve but not be too burned out. I'm aiming for either 3 or 4 90 minute classes a week (20-30 minutes of rolling per class), as well as 4x strength training a week. I wonder if this is a sustainable amount.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Keep getting smushed by people in my class. My white belt journey continues.

To add some actual context: there are a bunch of regular white belts that train 4 or so times a week and these guys generally always get the better of me, but there are also a bunch that only show up sporadically. I have a much better time with these guys.

Anyway, 3 months in really enjoying it. Tough loving sport.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Had a guy pull guard on my today from standing and instead of putting his leg into my hip and pulling me he put it into my leg just above the knee and jumped back hard hyper extending my knee ;( I was okay but it was not a nice thing to happen.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Think I pinched a nerve in my scapula / shoulder rolling and made it worse doing squats today. Hope it's better for training on wednesday. ;(

Also, yeah I got some weird rip pains in my first few months, went away after time and have not come back.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Do you do any weight / resistance training? A bit of mass and strength can really help out these kind of things and add an extra layer of resilience.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
I'm a big fan of Jeff Nippard's training programs. Seem to be able to manage to handle the volume there combined with BJJ okay. 3x a week lifting 4x a week bjj is nice. I'm doing the powerbuilder program which combines some big movements with some body builder movements (size and strength program basically). I've been lifting for a long time and find it a nice way to relax unlike bjj where I feel like there is too much going on in my head.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Jammed my ring finger pretty good tonight. Ice and buddy taping is the standard recommendations for this right?

stramit fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 21, 2022

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Often overlooked note for buddy taping never to tape the middle and ring fingers together because it leaves the index and pinky fingers awkwardly isolated and more vulnerable to even worse injury. Always pinky to ring; middle to index.

Been doing this all week and it's working well. thanks for the advice.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Had an international medal winning black belt train at the place I train on friday. I've only been trainign for 4 months but he asked me for a roll and it was commical hot much it sucked for me. Just being ridden around the gym for a very long time. He was really friendly and let me work escapes and similar but it was just crazy even compared to some of the black belts in the gym. An order of magnitude even more difficult. At one point he let me get him into closed guard and I have never had my guard broken so quickly. It was wild. Good fun. He won his division and absolute the next day at the local tournament. :)

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
How do your gyms focus training? Mine does blocks of positions, so it’s like 1/2 guard for 4/6 weeks with the first 2-3 focussing on the position and defence and the second 2-3 weeks on attacks. Seems to work really well do drill in the fundamentals of the positions but the downside is that it takes a long while to really learn them all.

Re: spider guard - We finished up a spider block recently and my big takeaway is: easy to shoot triangles, lassos, and sweep - kinda nice to just hold the arm by the bicep as it takes away options for your opponent.

Now 6 weeks of 1/2 guard.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Had a roll with a guy who started at the gym at about the same time as me last night who I have not rolled with in a few months. He's been coming pretty intermittently while i've been reliably hitting 3-4 classes a week with lots of rolling. He used to be able to easily get the better of me but last night I managed to submit him 3x in a 5 minute round. This isn't to put him down just to say it's nice to have a benchmark to show that i'm improving :)

.... did notice that he's signed up to 4 classes this week and next now :)

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Had a really good drills and sparring class yesterday - Got a few first time achievements.
* Managed to catch my first d’arce choke on someone. Had them it tight side control and loosened up a little to get them to turn towards me and threw the arm in. Felt great not just because of hitting the choke but because I tricked them into moving how I wanted them too!
* Managed to catch my first omopolata. It was not super transition into the position but it worked
* I'm decently athletic and managed to get a good dominant top position on one of the older less athletic purple belts and maintain it for a lot of the roll, every time I was about to lose the position I would move to another top position or switch my hips and similar. Wasn't able to get anywhere near submitting him but it was nice to work on transitions and similar. I'm guessing he was letting me work a little bit - but it still felt like he wasn't just giving me the positions without having to keep the work intensity up.

One thing i'm learning is that I need to actually be more aggressive to get top position. I'm too passive and often end up on bottom which sucks.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Look forward to my next post where I complain about getting knee ridden for 7x5 minute rounds and complain about how difficult this sport is.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
https://www.mallorcabjjyogafest.com/

Has anyone been to this / hear any reviews? It seems like a really good event and my wife is big into yoga. Sounds almost too good to be true.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Also tap early it’s not a competition fight.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
My opinion is slightly different. A badly applied choke that makes you tap due to pain is still a valid application of a choke (same with cranks) even if not what is intended.

When you get to know your training partners better and talk about the rolls afterwards to give each other feedback then you should be sharing that information with them and then maybe drilling the move a few times that didn’t get out on well.

Generally people want to apply good technique and in a training situation that should be the goal, but you don’t get to that place without doing non judgemental feedback to each other. It’s how we make each other better and get better at bjj.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

Sherbert Hoover posted:

It's very much about the people involved. If I'm doing randori with my usual partners, I know that we're trying to help each other with techniques and aren't super competitive, so we frequently tell each other things like this and tap early generally to avoid injury.

This.

I’ll tap to a face choke really fast and let my partner know. But it won’t be from a “that’s not a real submission” perspective but from a “you should tighten up that technique”. The people I roll with don’t care about tapping a lot and getting / giving feedback. It’s how you get better.

I’ve noticed that a lot of masculine ego can creep into rolls - you have to let a lot of that go if you want to get better.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiF0S-B_81o

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Having a bad bjj week. We are doing a lot of closed guard work and everything works really well in drilling but I just can't seem to lock down any arms, get a good collar grip, or anything like that in sparing. I just don't get what i'm missing :(

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Lol unlikely because I’m garbage at guard. (Mostly just wanted to complain , your advice is good and what I actually need)

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
was in top side control last night and my rolling partner bridged really hard into me and popped a rib :( I feel really bad. I wasn't going hard at all (about 50% or so) and the control was pretty loose as he was a newer guy and I was giving him space to work. I feel really guilty even though I know I didn't do anything specifically wrong.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
First comp coming up this weekend. No one has signed up in my bracket so they will likely combine some to make a decent competition. I'm in the 100.5kg class so they either combine me with lower class or with open weight. Will be fun either way and as a beginner I don't think it really matters tbh.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
reverse kimura yes / no?

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Looks like I’m not competing on the weekend. Ate a bad throw and picked up an AC injury in my shoulder. Hope it heals quick. Likely just a sprain at this stage (no visible clavicle separation)

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
I got a stripe on my white belt lol

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Congrats to the purple belts :)

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

CommonShore posted:

In all seriousness this is the promotion that goes to the smallest %age of eligible participants. A greater percentage of 1-stripe white belts will become black belts than complete novices will become 1-stripe, so congratulations! The rest just requires that you be too stupid to quit.

I am very stupid.

It's kind of silly but it feels really good and I know so much more than I did 6 months ago (even though I know I don't know anything). We have a new 101 class coming into the fundamentals classes in a week or two. I'm very excited for this.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Tried to post on my head but it didn’t work and I head butted the floor and bent my neck weird. No injury or pain but ehhhh didn’t feel good man.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Also there was a bigger guy in the class today about my size (6”4’ 220+) and it was nice to roll with someone my size. The smaller guys are too fast for me but having a slower bigger guy was nice.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

What position were you posting from? I’ve done that when I was trying to do rolling armbars from the turtle position,

It was basically this. Ehhh

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Doing 5 minute rounds today and was very in control the whole time, got side, then mount, then back then tried a few submissions from each place but wasn’t able to land anything. the guy I was rolling with just went elbows hard in and big defence. Sucked for him and boring for me. I think I should have just tapped from top position and reset because he was playing like his life depended on it and I was not good enough to land anything. Sigh.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

Sharpen your double and triple attacks, no matter how solid the defense you physically cant defend your arms, legs, and neck sufficiently at the same time if you're intent on just turtling up and not creating scrambles.

I am still a beginner, but yes this is what I need to do.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
As a beginner i'm really enjoying the Rob and Rory from bjjconcepts are putting out. Seems to be taught in a way that allows for acceleration of learning. I wish more schools taught like this instead of 'move of the day', drill, spar. I'm trying out a lot of their stuff when there is open mat and I think it's working well.

They have a big youtube playlist with some really good stuff that's free. Anyway thought this might help out some white / early blue belts. Likely good for higher belts that are looking to teach or systematise their BJJ also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3s66oIhVUk.

Playlist Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3s66oIhVUk&list=PLNbZ1gPk7zqzbiFjpMlzIEVZAGROJ6G4C

e: If you want a 'quick hit' of the playlist and want to skip the absolute beginner stuff I would watch video 1, then skip to video 7.

stramit fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 13, 2022

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
SA stripped the playlist link for the embed :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3s66oIhVUk&list=PLNbZ1gPk7zqzbiFjpMlzIEVZAGROJ6G4C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
I've been doing the fyjj drills a lot for stuff like this. I like them a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tT3--XyQVE